Home Sports Talk

Super Bowl 58

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 22, 2024 7:04AM in Sports Talk

What do you think the matchup will be for Super Bowl 58?

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm looking forward to the Chiefs vs Ravens game, Mahomes vs Jackson, that should be a good one.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,170 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22, 2024 7:55AM

Detroit vs Baltimore I hope. Only so I can cash a futures bet for a grand

I think it will be SF vs Baltimore or KC though

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely Baltimore vs. San Francisco. The NFC Championship will most likely have the Lions as a sentimental favorite, if they get in the list is down to three!! 😊

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

If a certain team advances and goes to the show....Um for that day; it will be either ribs or a beef roast...

now if that certain does not advance and go to the show; I'll be standing in a soup line.... :)

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'm looking forward to the Chiefs vs Ravens game, Mahomes vs Jackson, that should be a good one.

Lamar Is A Very Dangerous Man On The Grid Iron....

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like that the Chiefs aren’t expected to win, no pressure on them.
    It seems like Detroit’s offense can stall out for several series in a row so against the SF defense I don’t like their chances.

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would like to see Detroit vs San Francisco and Detroit beat them. I want Detroit to win the Super Bowl hopefully it happens.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Baltimore only -3 odds. With all the Baltimore hype thought would be higher. With some uncertainty, I will go with the chalk for SB. Baltimore/SF. But there are aspects of each team I like to win.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Baltimore only -3 odds. With all the Baltimore hype thought would be higher. With some uncertainty, I will go with the chalk for SB. Baltimore/SF. But there are aspects of each team I like to win.

I agree with ya. I had it pegged at Ravens favored by around 5.5 maybe 6.

Bookies certainly know everything any fan knows, and usually more. When the line seems off like this, could be any number of factors. Perhaps something they know that we don't know. But of course the bookies are not always right on every game.

Could just be something such as they expect to have some whales coming in with sizable bets on KC or it's already happened. So they're trying to attract money on the Ravens. KC fans are jubilant right now, they've hit two straight playoff games, and may be willing to let it all ride on this upcoming game.

Still the bookies long term combined record ATS is remarkably consistent. Last time I checked, it was 49.9% of the time favorites won the bet, and 50.1% of the time it was the dogs.

I'm pumped up for this Chiefs vs Ravens game, I think whoever wins that game will win it all. Mahomes is 3-1 vs Jackson all-time, both defenses are beasts.

I'm rooting for the Chiefs, and I'll have my trusty Aaron Rodgers cowboy by my side, it brings me good luck!

@doubledragon said:
    I'm rooting for the Chiefs, and I'll have my trusty Aaron Rodgers cowboy by my side, it brings me good luck!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

edited January 22, 2024 10:17AM

@doubledragon said:
    I'm pumped up for this Chiefs vs Ravens game, I think whoever wins that game will win it all. Mahomes is 3-1 vs Jackson all-time, both defenses are beasts.

It's going to be an epic match up

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Bookies certainly know everything any fan knows, and usually more. When the line seems off like this, could be any number of factors. Perhaps something they know that we don't know. But of course the bookies are not always right on every game.

Could just be something such as they expect to have some whales coming in with sizable bets on KC or it's already happened. So they're trying to attract money on the Ravens. KC fans are jubilant right now, they've hit two straight playoff games, and may be willing to let it all ride on this upcoming game.

Still the bookies long term combined record ATS is remarkably consistent. Last time I checked, it was 49.9% of the time favorites won the bet, and 50.1% of the time it was the dogs.

I would think at this point in time there’s a Mahomes factor in play. He’s now 13-3 all time in the playoffs and that probably accounts for at least 2 or 3 points with the bookies.

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 241 ✭✭✭

I think the Ravens will play the 49ers in the Super Bowl. I am pulling for the Lions to make it, but I don't think it will happen.

@Darin said:

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I would think at this point in time there’s a Mahomes factor in play. He’s now 13-3 all time in the playoffs and that probably accounts for at least 2 or 3 points with the bookies.

Good point. That is a strong factor.

I was figuring the line from a factor of firstly it's very tough to win back to back championships. Yes, this isn't the Super Bowl yet, but it is the game leading up to the Super Bowl.

Also momentum is so important in the playoffs. Yes the Chiefs won their last game, but it took an easy missed field goal by Buffalo, or the game would have likely gone into overtime. KC squeaked by in that game while the Ravens blew-out the Texans, a team that won big in its previous playoff game.

Also the Ravens had a week of rest before the previous game, whereby the Chiefs have had no rest at all since their bye week.

A factor that could also be in play is that the Ravens were 7-1 on the road this season, but only 6-3 at home. An unusual difference. This upcoming game is at home for the Ravens. I think the bookies factored this into their line more than I did, as far as making it only the Ravens -3. Although I see on some websites it's moved to -3.5.

@doubledragon said:

Since Taylor Swift doesn't seem to be jinxing the Chiefs any longer, this thing just might. 😂

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Since Taylor Swift doesn't seem to be jinxing the Chiefs any longer, this thing just might. 😂

No way, Aaron Rodgers is friends with a society of witches, they can counter any jinx that may pose a threat.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have got keep an eye on any weather changes.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Check out this dude in Germany, he looks just like Aaron Rodgers, I wish I looked like Aaron Rodgers, lucky bastard.

edited January 22, 2024 2:46PM

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

No way, Aaron Rodgers is friends with a society of witches, they can counter any jinx that may pose a threat.

Nope, there is no force in the universe which can overcome the CU Sports Talk jinx. 😆

That is unless a very skillful reverse jinx is applied. 🤣

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

Nope, there is no force in the universe which can overcome the CU Sports Talk jinx. 😆

That is unless a very skillful reverse jinx is applied. 🤣

He is very skilled at the art of witchcraft, he can change into a cat!

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Lines probably a little artificially low since the Chiefs have been having a lot of money put on them

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited January 22, 2024 8:44PM

@Basebal21 said:

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Lines probably a little artificially low since the Chiefs have been having a lot of money put on them

Perhaps Taylor Swift is plowing 100m on the Chiefs affecting the lines. 🤔

I was thinking Baltimore for sure but KC and their resilience makes me realize that Mahomes could drive them past the Ravens

SF is pretty much a lock unless it's raining, Purdy didn't look all.that great against the Packers in the rain.

This is interesting, Chiefs fan Jason Whitlock thinks his team doesn't have any chance in hell at beating the Ravens.

Chiefs don't have 'any chance in hell' of beating Ravens - says Kansas City fan Jason Whitlock - who calls Baltimore 'one of the great teams in NFL HISTORY'

Jason Whitlock said the Ravens are one of the all-time great teams in the NFL

Baltimore hosts Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday for a place in the Super Bowl

Jason Whitlock is not feeling confident for his Kansas City Chiefs ahead of Sunday's showdown with Baltimore Ravens - despite their fantastic win over Buffalo Bills.

Travis Kelce scored two touchdowns on Sunday night as Patrick Mahomes and his team moved just one win away from the Super Bowl.

But standing between them is the impressive Baltimore Ravens and Chiefs fan Whitlock believes his team is going to be emphatically beaten.

Speaking on Monday night he said: 'I'm a Chiefs fan, I want the Chiefs to win. I don't think there is any chance in hell they beat Baltimore, in Baltimore, this weekend.

'I think it's a 14, 17 point game. I really do believe that. I think you can run on the Chiefs defense and I think Baltimore is going to run on them. I think it's impossible, or very difficult, to run on the Baltimore defense.

'We're so devoted to the quarterback conversation that we don't evaluate teams any more. Look, I could be proven wrong - Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, Steve Spagnuolo, it's an unbelievable combination, got it.

Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs have it all to do against the Ravens, says Jason Whitlock

Whitlock says that Lamar Jackson's Ravens team are one of the all-time NFL great teams.

'But I think we are looking at one of the great teams in NFL history in Baltimore. It has been a long time.

'I think this is one of the great teams ever to be assembled. It is dominant and physical on both sides of the ball. I think the gap between Baltimore and everybody else is more pronounced than what we have seen in a long, long time in football.'

Lamar Jackson is the Ravens quarterback who will try to orchestrate the Chiefs downfall - and Chiefs coach Reid paid tribute to him on Monday as he begins to work out a way to stop him.

'Lamar is special' Reid said. 'He's fast and one of the faster guys on the field when it's all said and done. And he's shifty. This kid, he throws it well, he throws it on the move well, he runs the ball well.'

'We just got to stay on top of that part of it throughout practice this week and then during the game.'

The Ravens host the Chiefs in the first game on Sunday, before the San Francisco 49ers then meet Detroit Lions.

I have to say, everyone seems to think the Ravens are just going to run right over the Chiefs, never underestimate the heart of a champion.

edited January 23, 2024 11:15AM

@doubledragon said:
    I have to say, everyone seems to think the Ravens are just going to run right over the Chiefs, never underestimate the heart of a champion.

It's a double reverse jinx is all, People like to throw stuff out there like this just for that reason.

Deep down this fella doesn't really believe what he is typing.

No knowledgeable football fan would ever think Baltimore is just going to smash the Chiefs

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting that this thread runs contrary to the general sports media when in comes to the 49rs QB.

The current narrative about Purdy is that he will not play well in the playoffs (he did not have a great game against Greenbay, but he did lead his team to the game winning touchdown on its final drive with 6 minutes to go in the 4th quarter, going 6-7 on his passes) because he is a system quarterback that had done well only because of the talent around him.

So far in this thread Purdy has been mentioned only once (by Perkdog who pointed out he did not play well against the Packers); and there has been little discussion of the NFC Championship game between the Lions and 49rs.

It will be interesting to see how both Purdy and Goff perform in the NFC Championship game.

The general consensus is that Josh Allen is at the top of the QB list and that he had a great game against KC. Brock Purdy is on most people's list of top 5 QB's but the feeling is that he played sort of average against Green Bay.
    --- Josh Allen: 26/39, 186 yards, 1 TD and 0 Int's. (add 72 yards rushing for 258 total yards)
    --- Brock Purdy: 23/39, 252 yards, 1 TD and 0 Int's. (add 14 yards rushing for 266 total yards)

Josh Allen had more rush yardage and 2 TD's on the ground, the 49ers simply chose to let their RB accomplish the same thing, McCaffrey with 2 TD's on the ground.

What matters most --- at the end of the game both QB's had the opportunity to win the game on the last drive. Josh Allen failed when it counted most, Brock Purdy put the 49ers on his back and won the game.

Josh Allen had multiple long passes dropped that kept his passing yards down. The Diggs drop was inexcusable from someone thats supposed to be a top WR. Cant get passing yards if your WRs wont catch the ball.

Its also misleading to only post passing yards when Allen ran for 72 yards Purdy ran for 6. The running ability like a Jackson has is part of what makes them elite

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:
    Josh Allen had multiple long passes dropped that kept his passing yards down. The Diggs drop was inexcusable from someone thats supposed to be a top WR. Cant get passing yards if your WRs wont catch the ball.

Its also misleading to only post passing yards when Allen ran for 72 yards Purdy ran for 6. The running ability like a Jackson has is part of what makes them elite

Exactly, everyone likes to point out the dual threat of Jackson but not Allen when in fact Allen is just as much of a threat on the ground, the difference is Allen makes you pay more when you tackle him

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

Exactly, everyone likes to point out the dual threat of Jackson but not Allen when in fact Allen is just as much of a threat on the ground, the difference is Allen makes you pay more when you tackle him

Allens running ability really does go under the radar much more than it should. Like you said hes every bit as good as Jackson at running the ball he just doesnt do it as often. Jackson averages 6 yards a carry Allen is 5.5 for their careers. Its smart for the Bills to try and limit it, but he still does run a good bit. The threat is absolutely there and he has shown time and time again he can and will do it and be very good at it.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Interesting note for the Bills Chiefs game.

Shawn Smith the referee that was assigned to that game only 40.8% of home teams win games he is assigned to when the league average is 55.4%

He is #1 in road team win percentages and penalizes home teams at a higher rate.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/betting/chiefs-ravens-shawn-smith-referee-trends-impact/

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing the NFL would make the most money with a Chiefs vs 49'rs Super Bowl matchup. Let's see if it happens...........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

@Basebal21 said:
    Interesting note for the Bills Chiefs game.

Shawn Smith the referee that was assigned to that game only 40.8% of home teams win games he is assigned to when the league average is 55.4%

He is #1 in road team win percentages and penalizes home teams at a higher rate.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/betting/chiefs-ravens-shawn-smith-referee-trends-impact/

Shawn Smith was not lead referee for Chiefs-Bills.
    Too bad he wasn’t maybe he knows the difference between a forward pass and lateral when the QB is past the line of scrimmage.
    Of course whoever the dolt on KC’s payroll in charge of having plays reviewed should be fired.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    I'm guessing the NFL would make the most money with a Chiefs vs 49'rs Super Bowl matchup. Let's see if it happens...........

Detroit in the Super Bowl would bring TV ratings. They just had the most-watched division round game in 30 years.

Chiefs Lions would be the biggest ratings. Chiefs have the Taylor Swift effect and Lions being a fan base that has been desperate for any success for decades

Missouri 14 OSU 3

The line has moved to Ravens -4 on the website I follow.

Nothing dramatic, but there's a lot of money bet on these playoff games. Seems like the big boys are nibbling at the Ravens.

@stevek said:
    The line has moved to Ravens -4 on the website I follow.

Nothing dramatic, but there's a lot of money bet on these playoff games. Seems like the big boys are nibbling at the Ravens.

Now back to -3.5

They don't know who they like.

Maybe Taylor Swift placed a large bet on the Chiefs. 😆

@Basebal21 said:
    Chiefs Lions would be the biggest ratings. Chiefs have the Taylor Swift effect and Lions being a fan base that has been desperate for any success for decades

Yep, every teeny-bopper would be watching the game, hoping to see Taylor in the luxury booth, jumping around like a chimpanzee as she always does.

Odds on Ravens-Chiefs….
    Ravens -3.5

Odds stevek has written a fan letter to Taylor professing undying love and telling her she needs to start eating healthier……..
    +320

@Darin said:
    Odds on Ravens-Chiefs….
    Ravens -3.5

Odds stevek has written a fan letter to Taylor professing undying love and telling her she needs to start eating healthier……..
    +320

Weird, I had the odds at +475

@perkdog, check my post, I clearly listed Allen’s rushing stats.

@Maywood said:
    @perkdog, check my post, I clearly listed Allen’s rushing stats.

Yes I saw that but I feel that you dismissed Allen's great run game compared to Purdy because they "Chose to let the RB accomplish the same thing"

Funny because I've never heard you say that about Lamar Jackson

I could be wrong but I feel you take away from Allen and his running but you don't with Lamar

@perkdog, I suppose that's true, but at the same time everyone likes to say that Jackson is reckless and risks injury, yet that criticism isn't directed towards Josh Allen. It comes down in simplest terms to which QB we choose to favor and which we don't really like. I didn't dismiss or highlight the running by Allen in that game, I merely posted it along with Purdy's to show how close their numbers were and the combined results of both teams. The Bills and the 49ers arrived at the same thing offensively, the difference was as I pointed out, one QB won the game at the end and the other didn't.

The Buffalo Bills dilemma isn't something new to me. I've been through this twice as a fan of the Browns. After their 1964 Championship they lost in the NFL Championship in 1965 and the NFL Conference Championship in both 1968 and 1969. Then in the 1980's they ran up against their "Patrick Mahomes and Kansas City Chiefs" in the person of John Elway and the Denver Broncos, losing the AFC Championship in the 1986, 1987 and 1989 seasons.

I think that qualifies me to have an objective opinion on these matters.

@Darin said:
    Odds on Ravens-Chiefs….
    Ravens -3.5

+320

Darin throws a hissy fit at every mention of Taylor.

I like the devotion. That is so adorable. 🤣

@Maywood said:
    @perkdog, I suppose that's true, but at the same time everyone likes to say that Jackson is reckless and risks injury, yet that criticism isn't directed towards Josh Allen. It comes down in simplest terms to which QB we choose to favor and which we don't really like. I didn't dismiss or highlight the running by Allen in that game, I merely posted it along with Purdy's to show how close their numbers were and the combined results of both teams. The Bills and the 49ers arrived at the same thing offensively, the difference was as I pointed out, one QB won the game at the end and the other didn't.

The Buffalo Bills dilemma isn't something new to me. I've been through this twice as a fan of the Browns. After their 1964 Championship they lost in the NFL Championship in 1965 and the NFL Conference Championship in both 1968 and 1969. Then in the 1980's they ran up against their "Patrick Mahomes and Kansas City Chiefs" in the person of John Elway and the Denver Broncos, losing the AFC Championship in the 1986, 1987 and 1989 seasons.

I think that qualifies me to have an objective opinion on these matters.

I know as a Browns fan you have had it rough, I feel.for you guys sincerely, I'm not joking. I went through it with the Patriots and Sox for years so I can relate.

To be fair I have criticized Allen for running numerous times and do believe he can be reckless, I've seen him cut loose and run late in regular season games where it's unnecessary many times and I've called him out on it.

I hope Lamar runs for 200 yards and throws for 300 yards, I hate Baltimore but I bet the Ravens so I will be rooting for Jackson on Sunday

I think the main difference in their running is that Lamar Jackson has more designed runs, Josh Allen runs QB draws but most of his running is from being flushed out of the pocket. Another thing I've noticed is that of the two it seems like Josh Allen is the more likely to be injured running, Jackson's style is such that he never really gets hit solidly. Both would seem to be cheating the devil each time they take off.

@Maywood said:
    I think the main difference in their running is that Lamar Jackson has more designed runs, Josh Allen runs QB draws but most of his running is from being flushed out of the pocket. Another thing I've noticed is that of the two it seems like Josh Allen is the more likely to be injured running, Jackson's style is such that he never really gets hit solidly. Both would seem to be cheating the devil each time they take off.

Allen is 240

Jackson is less than 220

I'd say Allen is built to take abuse more than Jackson but injuries can never be predicted regardless