Home U.S. Coin Forum

-CLOSED-

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@VanHalen said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    2/3 of the big boy coins have made an appearance on Reddit. The 95-W ASE is all that remains

A $25 Gold Eagle is one of three "Big Boys"?

Greysheet is $10k

In addition to that, VB offer is 12k

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this one is for sale, I could see it selling for close to $20,000.... :# ....if not more.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ben - The Coin Geek just posted his VaultBox opening video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOMNS9klZn0

Tim

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero said:
    Spoiler Alert - The Coin Geek results:

Tim

0/4!

Those were some lousy boxes!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

edited January 31, 2023 3:12PM

🤣🤣🤣. “Had to open to ensure items were in there”. Wow. When I shipped mine I didn’t even open the outer packaging, I just slapped my label on the box that showed up at my door. I can not believe someone bought not one, but TWO boxes with opened seals. People never cease to amaze me.

Edit: pictures

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭

Now lets see the floodgates open up with a bunch of other people who "just checked to make sure there were coins in the box" putting theirs up on eBay.

@jeffas1974 said:
    Now lets see the floodgates open up with a bunch of other people who "just checked to make sure there were coins in the box" putting theirs up on eBay.

Those must have just sold, and I have a feeling the buyer did not read or look closely when they purchased them. I have a feeling that those are going to be returned once the buyer realizes they made a grave error, we’ll likely see those listed back up on eBay in a week or so.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2023 6:01PM

@DeplorableDan said:

@jeffas1974 said:

Those must have just sold, and I have a feeling the buyer did not read or look closely when they purchased them. I have a feeling that those are going to be returned once the buyer realizes they made a grave error, we’ll likely see those listed back up on eBay in a week or so.

"Best Offer Accepted." It's amazing it sold at any price after it was opened, without the buyer insisting on knowing what the seller knows, but there is no reason to assume the seller got anywhere near $1600.

P.S. The listing was for $1800.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@daltex said:

@silversurfr said:
    All that said. 9.9 (69) on moderns is kinda booty.. if your listening VB, 10 or bust on moderns.

Serious question: does bullion generally count as "Moderns"? Besides, 69 is pretty darn exciting on business strike moderns.

Yes, bullion is modern. And no, 69 is not exciting on coins that never enter circulation, like bullion that goes right into tubes, without ever banging around in bins or bags.

Pretty much every graded bullion coin that is not a 70 is a 69. They have value to people conditioned by telemarketers to believe they have value, but to wholesalers, they don't. And that is why the Instant Offers are right around raw, even after taking into account the magic value attributed to the slabs and labels.

OK. Fair enough. When I referred to business strike I didn't mean coins that were designed to remain mint state. I think that, for example, a MS 69 1998-D Washington would be very exciting. And almost any bullion coin in MS 67 would be a great candidate for a lowball set.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@jeffas1974 said:

"Best Offer Accepted." It's amazing it sold at any price after it was opened, without the buyer insisting on knowing what the seller knows, but there is no reason to assume the seller got anywhere near $1600.

130point shows that the accepted offer was $1,600:

• jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 401 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that’s where I got the sold value from. That website is extremely useful.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@NJCoin said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@jeffas1974 said:

Don't confuse him with facts.

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

They need to do a poor man's vaultbox. Top it off with an sp70 1998 s Kennedy or something. 😆

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

All these eBay sellers need to brace themselves for the returns once the boxes are opened.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • fathomfathom Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    All these eBay sellers need to brace themselves for the returns once the boxes are opened.

This is true, and recycled into more boxes potentially driving the modern prices lower and lower.

Let the new scale proliferate on it's own merits, not by enticing a gambling act.

@telephoto1 said:

Really hoping that's not the case, as I sold mine as an unopened sealed box still in the original packaging. I don't know if a buyer will be able to return it as an open box. When I called Ebay specifically to ask about that policy, they said that I would be protected as I would with any unopened product in original packaging. My buyer is expected to receive it tomorrow, hopefully there's no following shenanigans

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@DeplorableDan said:

@telephoto1 said:

Really hoping that's not the case, as I sold mine as an unopened sealed box still in the original packaging. I don't know if a buyer will be able to return it as an open box. When I called Ebay specifically to ask about that policy, they said that I would be protected as I would with any unopened product in original packaging. My buyer is expected to receive it tomorrow, hopefully there's no following shenanigans

For your sake I hope it works out for you... eBay's Seller Protection Policy is often selectively enforced. Even with the new managed payments thing, it can be a crap shoot.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012

@jmlanzaf said:

@U1chicago said:

@NJCoin said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@jeffas1974 said:

Don't confuse him with facts.

I didn't know about 130point, kind of like you didn't know about about the potential for eBay's search function to glitch. No need to look for any opportunity to get in a jab. Just save your Benjamins for Series 2, and stop obsessing on me.

@telephoto1 said:

If that's really a thing, how do unopened bank roll sellers stay in business?

@DeplorableDan said:

@telephoto1 said:

This ^^^^. You sold an intact lottery ticket. They'd never force a return after it is scratched off and revealed to be a loser.

edited February 1, 2023 6:43PM

@telephoto1 said:

@DeplorableDan said:

@telephoto1 said:

For your sake I hope it works out for you... eBay's Seller Protection Policy is often selectively enforced. Even with the new managed payments thing, it can be a crap shoot.

Nope. Not with items like this. EBay won't force a return any more than any credit card company will force returns on VB or PWCC. All sales are final. The item will be exactly as described, as long as it contains what VB says it contains, which it will. One coin from each of the 3 categories, as set forth on their website. There will be no basis for a return.

Why stir up anxiety here for people who were smart enough to get out?

edited February 1, 2023 6:42PM

Frankly, eBay won't be the problem in a return. The credit card charge back is beyond their control. The question is really whether ebay seller guarantee would kick in on a charge back. I really have no sense of this.

edited February 1, 2023 7:00PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    Frankly, eBay won't be the problem in a return. The credit card charge back is beyond their control. The question is really whether ebay seller guarantee would kick in on a charge back. I really have no sense of this.

Again, all kidding aside, if this was really a problem, wouldn't all the scam seeding of "sealed" products on eBay have dried up eons ago if sellers were getting stuck with returns? Also, if this would be a problem for sellers on eBay, wouldn't VB and PWCC face the same issue?

I honestly think sellers are protected here, because buyers bought a gamble, not a satisfaction guarantee after opening the box. If this were not the case VB would not have even the potential of a business, since it would be selling $1,000+ boxes for $600 while finding itself stuck with literally hundreds of charge backs on the losers.

VB will challenge the charge backs and win. So will eBay. The sellers sold sealed boxes, and will not be forced to take back opened ones, even with the one dope buying them for $800 each.

That surely won't last, although, TBH, he might have a shot at a charge back, since the box he bought, undoubtedly mistakenly, was not sealed when he bought it. OTOH, that sale was clearly marked no returns. It's unclear whether that would be enforced, since the seller knew what was in the boxes while the buyer did not.

.> @NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Again, all kidding aside, if this was really a problem, wouldn't all the scam seeding of "sealed" products on eBay have dried up eons ago if sellers were getting stuck with returns? Also, if this would be a problem for sellers on eBay, wouldn't VB and PWCC face the same issue?

I honestly think sellers are protected here, because buyers bought a gamble, not a satisfaction guarantee after opening the box. If this were not the case VB would not have even the potential of a business, since it would be selling $1,000+ boxes for $600 while finding itself stuck with literally hundreds of charge backs on the losers.

VB will challenge the charge backs and win. So will eBay. The sellers sold sealed boxes, and will not be forced to take back opened ones, even with the one dope buying them for $800 each.

That surely won't last, although, TBH, he might have a shot at a charge back, since the box he bought, undoubtedly mistakenly, was not sealed when he bought it. OTOH, that sale was clearly marked no returns. It's unclear whether that would be enforced, since the seller knew what was in the boxes while the buyer did not.

Spend 25 years selling on eBay, then we'll talk.

Roll sellers get a lot of returns. It's not 0% or 100%. Hell, a never of the forum returned some rolls a couple months ago.

A forum member had an unopened Mint box returned open.

edited February 2, 2023 9:10AM

@NJCoin I've been doing ebay since 1998 and there is no such thing as "no returns" policies always sticking. You can put anything you want in your TOS but that doesn't mean much. What the ebay CS person reads off their computer screen and what reality ends up being can be different things. I know because I've lived it. Buyers can and do return opened rolls, sealed mint boxes, lots of junk silver, and more. All of those have happened to me despite a clearly written TOS that says no returns on rolls or multiple coin lots due to the possibility of coin switching. I once had a sealed box of 1970 mint sets returned opened because the guy didn't find any small date cents in it. I had another buyer return a lot of junk silver dimes wanting a full refund plus return shipping cost because he couldn't find any rare dates. There's more but I don't want to turn this post into a novel. It happens-So I have no reason to believe it will be any different with vault boxes.

@jmlanzaf is spot on about rolls and the possibility of chargebacks... if someone uses a CC or PayPaI funded by a CC there is always a possibility of a chargeback sticking. CC companies aren't interested in mediating ebay deals. I can't speak as to how VB or PWCC will handle returns on their site but chargebacks could also potentially occur. I obviously don't have a crystal ball to know for sure that they will, but they could.
    I'm not stirring anything up out of hand here; I'm simply stating something that's simply been a reality on ebay since it began.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @telephoto1 said:

@NJCoin I've been doing ebay since 1998 and there is no such thing as "no returns" policies always sticking. You can put anything you want in your TOS but that doesn't mean much. What the ebay CS person reads off their computer screen and what reality ends up being can be different things. I know because I've lived it. Buyers can and do return opened rolls, sealed mint boxes, lots of junk silver, and more. All of those have happened to me despite a clearly written TOS that says no returns on rolls or multiple coin lots due to the possibility of coin switching. I once had a sealed box of 1970 mint sets returned opened because the guy didn't find any small date cents in it. I had another buyer return a lot of junk silver dimes wanting a full refund plus return shipping cost because he couldn't find any rare dates. There's more but I don't want to turn this post into a novel. It happens-So I have no reason to believe it will be any different with vault boxes.

@jmlanzaf is spot on about rolls and the possibility of chargebacks... if someone uses a CC or PayPaI funded by a CC there is always a possibility of a chargeback sticking. CC companies aren't interested in mediating ebay deals. I can't speak as to how VB or PWCC will handle returns on their site but chargebacks could also potentially occur. I obviously don't have a crystal ball to know for sure that they will, but they could.
    I'm not stirring anything up out of hand here; I'm simply stating something that's simply been a reality on ebay since it began.

Best to ignore NJ comments and consider the source....not worth the time....😉

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

When does Series 2 start? :)

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    .> @telephoto1 said:

Best to ignore NJ comments and consider the source....not worth the time....😉

So now you're a facilitator, deciding who everyone else should pay attention to or ignore? Why don't you just worry about yourself, and take it on faith that anyone else with the ability to obtain a membership can do the same? What's with the OCD need to control everything and everyone here? Best to just mind your own business. 😉

@jmlanzaf said:

@VanHalen said:
    When does Series 2 start? :)

I can hardly wait. Series 1 was so much fun.

Now that people know just what to expect, I think there will be a lot less drama going forward.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2023 12:32AM

Wonder how tamper proof the boxes are and if they could be resealed/resold after opening. This being done after discovering the "Value" is not there for the issue price. Over on the sports card side boxes have been known to be re-sealed. And yes, they have been weighed as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Wonder how tamper proof the boxes are and if they could be resealed/resold after opening. This being done after discovering the "Value" is not there for the issue price. Over on the sports card side boxes have been known to be re-sealed. And yes, they have been weighed as well.

They have tape seals as well as cello over the that. But, of course, if you are skilled enough...

Well I find it interesting that people are buying up the coins listed on Ebay for well over the price of the same NGC graded coin.🤑

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    Well I find it interesting that people are buying up the coins listed on Ebay for well over the price of the same NGC graded coin.🤑

Shhhh... you'll wake the naysayers.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

I was watching one of the "Shop at Home" shows a couple of weeks ago and the host mentioned that (with bullion) a lot of collectors want one certified by each service. Whatever else you say about these coins, the labels are very rare and, in many cases, unique.

With bullion it has definitely become "buy the holder, not the coin". I suspect modern commems are the same.

@jmlanzaf said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

Shhhh... you'll wake the naysayers.

Yeah....I thought for a minute before posting!🤣😂

@daltex said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

I was watching one of the "Shop at Home" shows a couple of weeks ago and the host mentioned that (with bullion) a lot of collectors want one certified by each service. Whatever else you say about these coins, the labels are very rare and, in many cases, unique.

With bullion it has definitely become "buy the holder, not the coin". I suspect modern commems are the same.

That can't be very common. I don't know anyone that collects that way. I know many many people that are brand specific, however.

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Maybe, but so far there is no evidence of that.

At the end of the day, these are precious metal coins covered and sealed with paper and plastic. There are certainly ways for people with access to the right equipment to know what is in the box (silver, gold, platinum, palladium, 1 oz, 1/10 oz, etc.) without messing around with seals.

If the promoters were serious about not allowing people to know what's in the boxes, different materials would have been used (steel, lead, etc.), and distribution would have been handled by a trusted third party, like the grading service, rather than by the promoters and their retail partners themselves. Of course, this would have added significant cost, and taken away any ability they had to control who got what, and when, so it was never going to happen.

At this point, it just doesn't matter. Everyone now understands what this is and how it works, and people are free to play or pass.

• streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been collecting since the early 60's and I'm amazed at how the coin business has changed. The well respected seller of VB sells 1800's proof big gold on Collectors Corner. $100,000+ coins.
    I'm SMH why he would evolve to this.
    Progress?

Have a nice day
  • UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 572 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

They have tape seals as well as cello over the that. But, of course, if you are skilled enough...

The tape seal on both sides of the box contain a hologram with the NGC name/logo.

When I pulled the tape off, part of the hologram remained on the side of the box. I suppose anything is possible, but you would have to be a miracle worker to re-seal the box where it wasn't obvious that it had already been opened.

Philippians 4:4-7

@streeter said:
    Been collecting since the early 60's and I'm amazed at how the coin business has changed. The well respected seller of VB sells 1800's proof big gold on Collectors Corner. $100,000+ coins.
    Progress?

Nope. Just another opportunity to make a buck.

edited February 5, 2023 4:33PM

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@streeter said:
    Progress?

What's wrong with making a buck? You probably had a job at some time in your life. Did you cash your paychecks?

edited February 5, 2023 4:43PM

@MasonG said:

@NJCoin said:

@streeter said:
    Progress?

What's wrong with making a buck? You probably had a job at some time in your life. Did you cash your paychecks?

I didn't say there was anything wrong. Just explaining the "evolution" from 1800s Big Gold to VB.

And yes, I always cashed my paycheck, but I also never did anything I wasn't proud of. And I sure wouldn't be proud having to explain everything we all have witnessed between the time these were announced and right now.

edited February 5, 2023 4:43PM

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why is evolution in quotes and what is that evolution? In both cases, people are selling coins for a profit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file