Home U.S. Coin Forum

-CLOSED-

Comments

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Hey, my friend!
    Big topic, huh?
    Well, for any unquestionable answers in all this mess.
    My good friend, Shaun.
    "Blueridgesilverhound" from YouTube.
    He will probably solve all these crazy questions. He's the one that's really up on this topic.
    He's the one that actually interviewed the co- owner of this product a couple of weeks ago.
    Stay tuned with him and his say.
    He'll have 90% of the answers to all our questions.
    I hope anyway?
    :)
    Thanks.
    Take care and keep on hunting for the "W".

Joey, always good to hear from you. Personally, I wish I had the disposable income to get one of these but I don't so I am going to have to watch from the sidelines.

I like the concept of the mystery box but not the grading scale for the coins. I don't think the sports card collector would like a Sheldon grading scale assigned to a sports card either🤔

• NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@NJCoin said:

@spacehayduke said:

@NJCoin said:

Very fair points. But, we really have no choice but to take them at their word. And they claim the 3 groups are fully randomized. So that's what you went with. I'm pretty sure you are correct.

As I said before, I could see not sharing if you planned on participating and didn't want to encourage competition. I don't get the opposite, but I respect your point.

I may or may not participate. I certainly don't want to lose $300 on coins I have no interest in (even if it is not that much money), but at the same time, that is a 1% chance assuming complete randomness which equals the 1% chance of making a big win. If I am correct in my concern that there is some non-random selecting they are doing, then 70% or so will lose a little and the others will make out fine based on the value of the single rare coin in their box. So it might not be such a bad thing to play. But honestly, I has zero interest in these coins so probably won't play...............

I totally agree, except I think that their values are inflated and that it will be totally random. As a result, my disagreement with you is slight, and only around the edges. My sense is that the odds of losing will be closer to 80%, and far more than 1% will lose a lot, as measured by more than $200 out of the $600.

I think around 20% will be worth at least $600, but very few by a lot, since the upside is $20K. To account for that, and the other mid four figure coins, very few boxes will even be worth a few hundred more than the $600. So, due to the poor odds and the fact that the only coin I am REALLY interested in is the single biggie, this just has no attraction to me.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy a gamble as much as the next guy. If the odds were better and the values weren't as inflated, I'd play just for the thrill and the shot at a nice score. But, I'm just not there, and the marketing, such as the "fake" PWCC unboxing, just gave me a bad vibe.

The fact that there is no regulation around this also makes me nervous, since they literally could do anything they want, with no oversight. The PWCC unboxing was just one very public, ill conceived example. Now it turns out they also ran a limited pre-sale through PWCC, the same folks who unboxed a $3K coin, and then claimed it was a mock-up when questioned.

What's the value of a fictional unboxing to anyone watching it? And why wasn't it disclosed as such when it was posted? Because this is unregulated, and they didn't have to. That's why. And that will apply to anything else they do with this that anyone doesn't like.

Red flags to me. Not to someone less skeptical. And that's perfectly fine. I might be worried about nothing. Or not.

Lots of folks, including some very sharp ones, thought earning 18% lending crypto was a legit, risk free thing. I don't judge. I just point out things that don't feel right to me, and let people make their own decisions.

So for the TLDR crowd like me please explain how do you know the unboxing was fictional? Your posts have become so frequent and soooo long that I skip over many of them to save time.😂🤣

Also there are a couple of other guys I have blocked so I don't read their posts.🙄

If you go to their YouTube post, they posted the disclaimer, in response to all the screaming that one of the biggies is now gone. Just Google PWCC and VaultBox unboxing, and you'll be taken to it. You'll also note they are getting a lot of negative comments in general about this offering.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@spacehayduke said:
    [...]
    We both assume this is going to be completely random for example.
    [...]

@NJCoin said:
    [...]
    And they claim the 3 groups are fully randomized. So that's what you went with. I'm pretty sure you are correct.
    [...]

I am NOT criticizing the presented analyses.
    Further, I am NOT saying that it will have a significant impact on the 'outcome/conclusion'.

However, I did find the following specific to complete randomization.

Source: https://vaultbox.com/how-vaultbox-works/

To me, this indicates that the assignment is not fully randomized.

I just read this on their site, that means the low end values in my probability chart can be eliminated, as I suspected. The open question is what will be their lower limit in market value. That changes all of the potential outcomes............

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/

@MetroD said:

@spacehayduke said:
    [...]
    [...]

@NJCoin said:
    [...]
    And they claim the 3 groups are fully randomized. So that's what you went with. I'm pretty sure you are correct.
    [...]

Further, I am NOT saying that it will have a significant impact on the 'outcome/conclusion'.

Why? All the part you highlighted says is that no one will only get the lowest value coins, due to the fact that each box will contain one coin from each group. it doesn't say anything about equalizing the value of boxes by not randomizing the distribution.

edited January 25, 2023 9:30AM

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@MetroD said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:
    So for the TLDR crowd like me please explain how do you know the unboxing was fictional? Your posts have become so frequent and soooo long that I skip over many of them to save time.😂🤣

Also there are a couple of other guys I have blocked so I don't read their posts.🙄

Prior post.

Thank you! I do remember seeing this post but never enlarged the font to read the small print so I missed it. 😉

They state that the box will be resealed and put back in to the pile for distribution so I don't see why it's a big deal. 🤔

No different than most companies advertising their product in my opinion 😉

It's a big deal because a seal was broken before the on-sale date, on camera, and it contained a high value coin, designed to show the masses how easy it is to turn $600 into $3,000. What are the odds, if they didn't have a way to know what was in the box?

They admitted it was a prop box, and it was sloppy because they did not anticipate the reaction, so they didn't post the disclaimer until they saw the feedback. Calls into question for me whether it was really a prop box, or only became one after the negative feedback.

In any event, an unboxing that isn't real is a sham, not ordinary advertising. How many other demo boxes are going to be unboxed online in the coming days?

Also, their box had 2 commons and 0 uncommons. Sloppy. If they could do that, what else could they do with these?

But, as I said in a previous post, what's a red flag to me could legitimately be regular advertising to someone else. Everyone has to make their own decisions.

edited January 25, 2023 9:23AM

These folks already have a few and opened boxes and one had the $23500 coin in it. These boxes appear to be 'presale' duplicates sent out to advertise.

Here is the disclaimer so all still available:

UPDATE: The exclusive pre-sale has SOLD OUT. The feedback we've received has been insane! We are sold out again, but don't worry, the official drop is coming on January 25th. Keep your eyes pealed for more information.

*Disclaimer: This was a promotional box provided to PWCC in partnership with VaultBox intended to replicate the opening experience. The coins opened in this promotion box are still available to be opened in the official distribution of VaultBox Series 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVpyoLUsYBw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjL6xqI13XI

• BartinBartin Posts: 12
    edited January 25, 2023 9:28AM

Just to change things up from yet another NJCoin post about not liking this:

I bought one of these from PWCC marketplace during the presales.
    I bought it because I like coins and gambling.

But I also bought it because I think Vaultbox would be shooting themselves in the foot if they sold a bunch of low value boxes that disappointed buyers for their first release.

I don't think vaultbox is foolish enough to do that on the first series because it would kill most interest in any future series. So part of me is hoping there is better upside here than in future series.

Usually gambling has a worst case of losing ALL your money with much lower odds of winning hundreds or thousands.

So I think gambling $400 ($600 minutes $200) for all the potential upside is worth it. (assuming an absolute minimum of $200 in real current market value of the coins received, which seems low based on other people's posts calculating probabilities.)

• I plan on opening my box and posting what I get.

(Unless unopened boxes start selling for thousands on eBay, then I'm cashing in on others' stupidity to counteract my own)

edited January 25, 2023 9:38AM

I did find this video of a box opening that I think was legit. And it did take a big value coin off the board (2012 W Gold 10.0 from what he says): Doesn't get it open until 5:40

https://player.vimeo.com/video/788766458

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

Why? All the part you highlighted says is that no one will only get the lowest value coins, due to the fact that each box will contain one coin from each group. it doesn't say anything about equalizing the value of boxes by not randomizing the distribution.

I interpreted it to mean that no box will contain the lowest value coin from each value group.

However, after looking at it a second time, you could be correct.

I will send an e-mail to VB and ask. 'If/when' they respond, I will post their answer here.

@spacehayduke said:

@MetroD said:

@spacehayduke said:
    [...]
    [...]

@NJCoin said:
    [...]
    [...]

I just read this on their site, that means the low end values in my probability chart can be eliminated, as I suspected. The open question is what will be their lower limit in market value. That changes all of the potential outcomes............

Why is that your takeaway? I'm reading it literally to mean no box is going to contain 3 low value commons, not that the boxes will be packed in a non-random manner to ensure that no one will receive the lowest value coin from each of the 3 groups.

@NJCoin said:

Why is that your takeaway? I'm reading it literally to mean no box is going to contain 3 low value commons, not that the boxes will be packed in a non-random manner to ensure that no one will receive the lowest value coin from each of the 3 groups.

Which means that it is not as randomized as my fully randomized probability matrix. I still agree that 80% are going to 'overpay' for the coins but maybe not as much as a fully randomized selection. Around 20% will still make out okay to very good, but these have to be counterbalanced by the other 80% that don't..................

20 minutes to d-day, who is in? Hope your internet speed is high if you are. I am guessing a 5 minute sellout max given the hype by different players already......

@Bartin said:
    Just to change things up from yet another NJCoin post about not liking this:

I bought one of these from PWCC marketplace during the presales.
    I bought it because I like coins and gambling.

But I also bought it because I think Vaultbox would be shooting themselves in the foot if they sold a bunch of low value boxes that disappointed buyers for their first release.

I don't think vaultbox is foolish enough to do that on the first series because it would kill most interest in any future series. So part of me is hoping there is better upside here than in future series.

Usually gambling has a worst case of losing ALL your money with much lower odds of winning hundreds or thousands.

So I think gambling $400 ($600 minutes $200) for all the potential upside is worth it. (assuming an absolute minimum of $200 in real current market value of the coins received, which seems low based on other people's posts calculating probabilities.)

Great minds think alike. I was actually thinking the exact same thing after watching the interview with Brett. But then I saw the unboxing video, and it turned me off. Seeing multiple fake boxes being opened online to gin up excitement just makes me nervous about the bona fides, so I'm sitting out.

As far as them shooting themselves in the foot, I think they already did that with the early release of fake boxes, so who really knows what else they might do? Or whether it would even influence the buying decisions of their target market. Caeveat emptor, and enjoy!!

• I agree with NJCoin that it's just saying no box will contain only coins from the lowest Value group (Common).
    They are very sloppy with their terminology and wording though. Some of the coins in the common group have higher listed values than some of the coins in the uncommon group, so "value" isn't the right word when talking about the lowest group of coins.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2023 9:50AM

I believe I'm ready to go. Have an account created with payment information saved. I've never been involved with releases like this, I imagine I just need to be on the page that says "out of stock" and refresh at 9:00 and that will turn into a "buy now" button?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited January 25, 2023 9:52AM

@spacehayduke said:

@NJCoin said:

Which means that it is not as randomized as my fully randomized probability matrix. I still agree that 80% are going to 'overpay' for the coins but maybe not as much as a fully randomized selection. Around 20% will still make out okay to very good, but these have to be counterbalanced by the other 80% that don't..................

20 minutes to d-day, who is in? Hope your internet speed is high if you are. I am guessing a 5 minute sellout max given the hype by different players already......

Didn't you control to only randomize within the 3 groups? That's what I did. I thought @Arkie did as well. It's 3 sets of 800 coins, not one set of 2400.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bartin said:
    I did find this video of a box opening that I think was legit. And it did take a big value coin off the board (2012 W Gold 10.0 from what he says): Doesn't get it open until 5:40

On their site it says a limit of 2 per customer, but this guy in the video clearly has 5 boxes... something seems a bit fishy.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
    edited January 25, 2023 9:57AM

@DeplorableDan said:
    I believe I'm ready to go. Have an account created with payment information saved. I've never been involved with releases like this, I imagine I just need to be on the page that says "out of stock" and refresh at 9:00 and that will turn into a "buy now" button?

Yes. It will probably say "Add to Cart," but you've got the idea. The website is already sloooooooooooow, so they've either got a big winner or no server capacity.

I think a lot of people are going to be screaming that they got shut out. Good for VaultBox on a masterful marketing job!

• On their site it says a limit of 2 per customer, but this guy in the video clearly has 5 boxes... something seems a bit fishy.

I googled that guy and it seems he's a coin dealer or something, so that might explain it.

But maybe it was another "advertising" fake box like the other video. Seems like they should have promoted the video more of it really was intended as advertising. Almost no views, lol

@NJCoin said:

Didn't you control to only randomize within the 3 groups? That's what I did. I thought @Arkie did as well. It's 3 sets of 800 coins, not one set of 2400.

Exactly, ramdonized each set of 800 then combine to build the probability matrix. I suspect however, this is not exactly what the vendor did - probably took the very low end commons and combined them with more valued uncommons and rare to counterbalance the lowed possible combined values.......

• johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Site crash on refresh

The crashed at exactly game time and are now frozen.

• According to PWCC sales history, there were 241 presales.

That leaves only 559 to buy today.

@telephoto1 said:

@Bartin said:

On their site it says a limit of 2 per customer, but this guy in the video clearly has 5 boxes... something seems a bit fishy.

Why would it be any more legit than the first one? If it is, then 2 out of 2 pre-release boxes had red cores. Either they are both props, which is sketchy for an unboxing video, or they know which boxes have the winners, which is sketchy for a lottery. Take your pick.

So I guess their hype worked, they had so many folks go to their website at exactly game time it crashed them.......

edited January 25, 2023 10:06AM

@spacehayduke said:

@NJCoin said:

Exactly, ramdonized each set of 800 then combine to build the probability matrix. I suspect however, this is not exactly what the vendor did - probably took the very low end commons and combined them with more valued uncommons and rare to counterbalance the lowed possible combined values.......

Maybe, but I don't think Blake represented that is what they did. And that would create significant extra work for NGC, as opposed to just separating by category and boxing.

Either way, since they did such a great job hyping this, their website is now making people appreciate what a good job the Mint does with its website. 🤣

• Why would it be any more legit than the first one? If it is, then 2 out of 2 pre-release boxes had red cores. Either they are both props, which is sketchy for an unboxing video, or they know which boxes have the winners, which is sketchy for a lottery. Take your pick.

I think all boxes have one red core. Every rare has a red core, and every box has a rare. Right?

Yep still down
    Create account weeks in advance
    Update shipping and credit card information
    Pre-log in the day of
    Bots….
    Site crash 8:58 am PST
    ….
    ….
    ….

At least it’s not just the US Mint :D

edited January 25, 2023 10:11AM

@Bartin said:

Why would it be any more legit than the first one? If it is, then 2 out of 2 pre-release boxes had red cores. Either they are both props, which is sketchy for an unboxing video, or they know which boxes have the winners, which is sketchy for a lottery. Take your pick.

I think all boxes have one red core. Every rare has a red core, and every box has a rare. Right?

No. The red are the big winners in the "rare" group, and are a small subset of it. Rares are the most valuable, every box will have one, and they will all be worth more than commons and uncommons, but only a few of them will have red cores.

When was it disclosed that almost 1/3 of the boxes would sell via pre sale? On the vaultbox website it stated "available 1/25 9am PST" not "Please visit pwcc for pre sale"

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

9:11am PST

edited January 25, 2023 10:20AM

@DeplorableDan said:
    When was it disclosed that almost 1/3 of the boxes would sell via pre sale? On the vaultbox website it stated "available 1/25 9am PST" not "Please visit pwcc for pre sale"

Don't sweat it. I appreciate the effort, but, believe me, you just saved yourself a few hundred bucks. The Earth is indeed round, gravity causes things to fall from the sky, and these boxes are a vehicle to turn $600 into ~$300-400.

Preselling any, let alone so many, was yet another questionable thing they did, but by so doing, they did good people like you a favor. For all you know, all the good ones went out early, as represented in the unboxing videos.

edited January 25, 2023 10:20AM

@DeplorableDan said:

Yeah, nowhere. Even though I benefited (maybe), that wasn't right.

@NJCoin said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Don't sweat it. I appreciate the effort, but, believe me, you just saved yourself a few hundred bucks. The Earth is indeed round, gravity causes things to fall from the sky, and these boxes are a vehicle to turn $600 into ~$300-400. Preselling any, let alone so many, was yet another questionable thing they did, but by so doing, they did good people like you a favor.

yea but if I see them selling on eBay for 3x the price ill be pretty disappointed lol. I made it to the checkout page with one in my cart but now its frozen again

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took a look out of curiosity - website is down hard. Masterful marketing - there will be plenty of people complaining about the mechanics of the release and getting shut out. That will likely draw even more interest for Round 2.

It’s an interesting idea and everyone can judge for themselves whether they want to play. It has no impact on folks that don’t want to participate, so not sure why folks are getting worked up.

There are many good places and many bad places to buy coins - you have to judge for yourself if a particular offer is a good value. I think a majority of customers understand it’s a game of chance and view it as entertainment. At least you have some residual value after the fun is over!

@DeplorableDan said:

@NJCoin said:

@DeplorableDan said:

Don't sweat it. I appreciate the effort, but, believe me, you just saved yourself a few hundred bucks. The Earth is indeed round, gravity causes things to fall from the sky, and these boxes are a vehicle to turn $600 into ~$300-400. Preselling any, let alone so many, was yet another questionable thing they did, but by so doing, they did good people like you a favor.

yea but if I see them selling on eBay for 3x the price ill be pretty disappointed lol. I made it to the checkout page with one in my cart but now its frozen again

They're gone. Your point about eBay is well taken, but that will be even crazier, given what is in the boxes.

edited January 25, 2023 10:28AM

Overall terrible experience

Finally got them in the cart and available
    Got to check out screen….
    But it wouldn’t stop loading for me to hit pay.
    Cart error
    Then sorry sold out

@johnny010 said:
    Overall terrible experience

Finally got them in the cart and available
    Got to check out screen….
    But it wouldn’t stop loading for me to hit pay.
    Cart error
    Then sorry sold out

Dude, please delete this. It has your address in it!!!!

• Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 - those screenshots have your home address in them - you should delete them.

When I tried to check out with 2 in my cart first it gave me an "error processing order" notification

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@DeplorableDan said:
    I got one! I scrambled and even tried to buy two of them, but it was frozen and I had about 4 different windows open with the same page. I tried again with 1 and was able to make it through

Congratulations?????

@NJCoin said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    I got one! I scrambled and even tried to buy two of them, but it was frozen and I had about 4 different windows open with the same page. I tried again with 1 and was able to make it through

Congratulations?????

😂😂😂🤣

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW....none listed on Ebay now or in the past

Order number 3217? There are 800? What is going on here?

Best, SH

@spacehayduke said:
    Order number 3217? There are 800? What is going on here?

Best, SH

I was wondering the same, I figured they had possibly started at 3000 or something

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file