Home Precious Metals
Options

Where do you rate current US economic conditions?

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DEFCON 3 - Looking to dump my dollars

Courage is a poor substitute for preparedness.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DEFCON 5 - FED has solved all the problems

Fact:

I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought 2x4's in California

Guess how much I paid?

$2.97 ea :o:o:o

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins
    Based on a look around here, if they are nice 8 ft. versions, that $3 each was a good low price. Even finding them is still a bit of a challenge in some spots.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Fact:

I went to Home Depot yesterday and bought 2x4's in California

Guess how much I paid?
    $2.97 ea :o:o:o

Lumber is about the only commodity tanking faster than the gutter metal. Good thing because I still have 2 barns to build. LG!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Wanna see egg prices collapse...stop buying them for a month. Surely we can all go a month without an omlette or cake.

Same thing happens with Orange Juice in the winter months when Florida has a freeze. OJ spikes. People resist the price increase for a few months and the price retreats.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    Has the FED fixed the inflation problem Congress created?

The more accurate question.

Very inaccurate. Congress did not create the FED's QE or easy money problems that naturally led to inflation. Congress's only liability is that it did not shut down the FED.

The FED is a 24/7 operation. Even "open" on holidays? The ATM is always stocked.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2023 8:41PM

"Gold investors are betting the Fed will continue to be negligent with its monetary policy. Without the Fed’s help, the free market would impose interest rate discipline on the Treasury and Congress." - RealInvestmentAdvice.com

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    edited February 23, 2023 5:34AM

@derryb said:
    "Gold investors are betting the Fed will continue to be negligent with its monetary policy. Without the Fed’s help, the free market would impose interest rate discipline on the Treasury and Congress." - RealInvestmentAdvice.com

Is the author saying gold is overvalued?

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Is the author saying gold is overvalued?

You shoul read all of an article to get the whole picture. Typical of you to pick pieces and try to make them the whole story. One line later the author continues with:

_"The scatter plot below shows the same data in a different format. As shown, the correlation is high. Recently, as highlighted by the orange dots, the slope of the relationship has become more vertical. Essentially, gold prices are not rising or falling as much versus real yields as they did in the prior twenty years. This occurs because the relationship between gold and real yields is much less robust when real yields are positive, as they have been for the last year."
    _

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    edited February 23, 2023 1:12PM

I read the entire article. Udually an analyst will not take a narrow set of data, compare it with a broader set, and make claim. That's called pseudoscience. Which, I suppose after the last 3 years, is now widely accepted. Lol

It's like saying. "This always happens, except when it doesnt".

Were real yields positive prior to 2022. I seem to recall many on this forum saying real yields were negative because inflation was understated. Actually, those folk are saying the same now.

• Options

Gutter down. RGDS!

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2023 12:43AM

@blitzdude said:
    Gutter down. RGDS!

So why do you still have silver ("gutter") ?
    Just the other day in another thread you stated that your assets include silver (paper and physical).
    But you incessantly complain about dropping silver prices (except when someone else is selling physical and you complain about high premiums).

If you hate silver that much, sell it all and move on.

• Options
    edited February 24, 2023 7:30AM

Another round of "when liars figure, figures lie:"

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 24, 2023 7:53AM

The PCE (Personal Consumption Expenditure) came in stronger than expected; this is the Fed's preferred inflation gauge, more so than the better-known CPI.

Bond yields are up, further Fed rate hikes are being discounted, and stocks are down.

I have said for over a year that we are going to well over 5% on the Fed Funds and now there's a chance we approach 6%. :o

Fed officials speak later today. Stay tuned.... :)

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@cohodk said:
    Wanna see egg prices collapse...stop buying them for a month. Surely we can all go a month without an omlette or cake.

Same thing happens with Orange Juice in the winter months when Florida has a freeze. OJ spikes. People resist the price increase for a few months and the price retreats.

The difference is that there are substitutes for orange juice. There is no substitute for eggs in baking/cooking.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    The difference is that there are substitutes for orange juice. There is no substitute for eggs in baking/cooking.

https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/egg-substitutes-for-baking/

I'm not going to argue the appeal, but here's a list.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:
    Gutter down. RGDS!

Just the other day in another thread you stated that your assets include silver (paper and physical).
    But you incessantly complain about dropping silver prices (except when someone else is selling physical and you complain about high premiums).

Gutter down even more! Pretty much every time you open your mouth and the price drops more. Just like Majik. THKS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:
    Gutter down. RGDS!

Gutter down even more! Pretty much every time you open your mouth and the price drops more. Just like Majik. THKS!

So if I post enough times your SLV will be worthless ?

• Options

@RobM said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/egg-substitutes-for-baking/
    I'm not going to argue the appeal, but here's a list.

But most bakers and households don't use them. The demand for eggs is fairly ineleastic.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:
    Gutter down. RGDS!

So if I post enough times your SLV will be worthless ?

Please stop posting B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2023 9:19AM

or, stop reading. :o

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a visit to the grocery store leaves you broke and feel like the economy is in trouble. i'd give it a 3 at best. :#

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    edited March 2, 2023 8:18AM

Bankruptcy filings in US surge at fastest pace since 2009

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    edited March 3, 2023 5:43AM

Good to see the warning at the beginning of this as being an opinion piece. It seems to be politically biased.

But to your point, one should focus on the actual number of bankruptcies and relative to total number of companies.

The author touts the "good times" with the previous administration, yet it appears there were still many filings of public corporate bankruptcy

https://www.jonesday.com/en/insights/2020/02/the-year-in-bankruptcy-2019#:~:text=The number of public company,2008 and 211 in 2009.

The article cites 39 bankruptcies. That seems like a minuscule number compared to the total number of companies. And if the increase was from 10 to 20, this would be touted as a "doubling in bankruptcy filings". While true, it is a meaningless statistic, and usually cited to cause mistrust, anger, fear, discontentment and contempt.

• Options
    edited March 7, 2023 6:01AM

That pack a day habit of smokes in 1980 would be worth over $26,000 today generating over $100/month in interest. Now multiply that over a decade. Simple choices can reap huge rewards.

One bag of potato chips per month could be over $3000 in savings in 20 years

Be your own steward.

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2023 4:49AM

SVB ...Silicon Valley Bank, 16th largest in the US has just turtled. Probably will have to be absorbed by a TBTF bank.

Is this just the beginning? The free money decade is o.v.e.r. The FED is having to raise rates and those that don't understand and had a 'free money' business plan are going to get crushed.

Edit: higher interest rates usually crush gold and silver unless there is a flight to gold as a safe haven.

Have a nice day
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall..... SVB was involved quite a bit in crypto?

----- kj
  • Options

.> @streeter said:

SVB ...Silicon Valley Bank, 16th largest in the US has just turtled. Probably will have to be absorbed by a TBTF bank.

Is this just the beginning? The free money decade is o.v.e.r. The FED is having to raise rates and those that don't understand and had a 'free money' business plan are going to get crushed.

Edit: higher interest rates usually crush gold and silver unless there is a flight to gold as a safe haven.

Rates actually dropped a bit last day or so from a peak.
    Interesting times. The same day option trades in the stock market are causing instability as well.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought some more 2x4's at Home Depot which seemed to have bottomed out at $2.97 ea :):):)

Then I went to Big 5 and bought 2 pairs of Hi-Tec Hiking Boots for only $35 a pair. Price is 1/3 of what it was 20 years ago.

Huge deflation in certain products ....

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

From eggs to lumber. Who gets a cheap woodie wins.

• Options

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

There will be a day in the not-too-distant future when even gutter metal will be cheap again. RGDS!

• Options
    edited March 11, 2023 4:37AM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

5 dozen eggs at BJs for $14.97. Oh well, so much for the great egg crisis of 2023.

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a neighborhood cleanup in my area.
    The metal scrappers and resellers are up and down the street collecting anything of value.
    My neighbor had some steel bed rails out and I was headed to the store.
    Had to go home swap out for the truck and pick up some scrap metal.
    I always seem to have a use for angle iron and scrap metal pieces.
    I probably should have driven around and collected more stuff.
    Another neighbor had some 2x10 x 5 wood.
    Fresh cut marks were probably 2x10x10-12 foot boards.
    Slightly warped but I think I could use some of that as well.
    I have a friend who has plenty of older wood, but this pile is literally 3 door down.
    Still thinking about dragging that home.
    One man's trans and all.
    Back to the Egg dilemma, Sam's club tomorrow should have an 18 pack for $9.

• Options

@rte592 said:
    Back to the Egg dilemma, Sam's club tomorrow should have an 18 pack for $9. \

Only pulled 15 out of the coop tonight, sure seemed light but we did just get another blast of winter. That and I wouldn't be surprised if I missed a few. Just need a quick dip. Almost as sweet as the Au. RGDS!

• Options

If eggs are anything like tomatoes, it's cheaper to not grow your own.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@derryb said:

Just a little bit of "work". Miniscule financial costs, the girls pay for a months keep in approximately 5 days. That leaves 24.5 days of profit. Much better returns than the gutter I can honestly say and it's not even a conscious attempt to generate income. RGDS!

• Options

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

Just a little bit of "work". Miniscule financial costs, the girls pay for a months keep in approximately 5 days. That leaves 24.5 days of profit. Much better returns than the gutter I can honestly say and it's not even a conscious attempt to generate income. RGDS!

More than just a "little" work, I suspect.
    How are the eggs doing after a few months in the safe ?

• Options
    edited March 16, 2023 11:27AM

The affect of rising interest rates on investments made by banks (with depositor funds.): What's a central bank to do?

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb asked “The affect of rising interest rates on investments made by banks (with depositor funds.): What's a central bank to do?”

No doubt, they are in a bind. My guess is that they keeps rates unchanged next week.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2023 2:43PM

What is a central bank to do? Print more money electronically out of thin air and loan it to banks for their securities that are underwater. They are the banks.

Then raise rates anyway. Problem solved. ;)

This:

• Options

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

No safe, no bunker, no doom and gloom. They either get swapped out for useful dollars to purchase other necessities or they get eaten with a few days. In The Commonwealth we call that #Livin RGDS!

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭✭

BlitzFool blowing his egg horn ...high on dried raccoon droppings...he is ready to barter!

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options

@blitzdude said:

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

No safe, no bunker, no doom and gloom. They either get swapped out for useful dollars to purchase other necessities or they get eaten with a few days. In The Commonwealth we call that #Livin RGDS!

Livin' day to day. Also known as living paycheck to paycheck like a lot of people.

• Options

• Options

@cohodk said:
    But, where is the economy? Seems everyone still has a job, car and home prices are softening a little, energy prices are lower. All good things for the consumer, no?

@cohodk said:
    US Home Resales Jump by Most Since 2020, Ending Year-Long Slide https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-21/us-home-resales-snap-record-decline-with-biggest-jump-since-2020

Home prices going up and down at the same time ? I don't think so.
    Home prices seem to be pretty flat right now.
    But stagflation seems inevitable.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure what to make of the article.

Perhaps some of the ones who bought at higher prices... are now regretting the move and selling to get out? You know... the ones who bought houses sight unseen? and offering 10% above listing price? Just find it curious... something just does not quite make sense to me. (but that doesn't take much!!)

----- kj