Home Precious Metals
Options

Where do you rate current US economic conditions?

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2022 7:49PM

There are a ton of jobs. I'm looking after a break, the spots i'm looking for have hundreds to thousands of applicants now after a couple days....a month ago...double digits. IT stuff

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DEFCON 3 - Looking to dump my dollars

@blitzdude said:

Rumor has it 2-3 job openings for every unemployed worker. Spin it however you want it.

If correct then the FED's effort to tame inflation by driving down demand (less workers needed) with higher interest rates is failing. I personally think the future holds higher unemployment numbers.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the economy gets worse,however slight,before it gets better camp. And will make adjustments with that belief in mind.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DEFCON 5 - FED has solved all the problems

off to the races

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:
    Would you prefer I > @cohodk said > > @jmski52 said:

Neither of you answer a direct question if it doesn't jive with your standard bs. This isn't a discussion or conversation and there's little value in continuing it, so I won't. :)

We've learned a lot from derryb.

Learned a lot would be a stretch. However, I'm pretty certain I learned from him what not to do. RGDS! :sunglasses:

remind me which one of us cries over their silver decisions?

You certainly are the self proclaimed gutter king. RGDS!

P.S. Break even may finally be on the horizon.........not!

Break even? lol
    Just sold a monster box to JM Bullion for 2.1 times what I paid for it in 2008.
    If you'd simply close the gutter mouth and open the gutter ears you wouldn't be deep in the hole with silver.

5% per year. Yay!!

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:
    Appears the FED has a new, additional mandate: reduce jobs.

In an effort to reduce demand (and ultimately prices) "Intended" consequences of raising interest rates:

Wow the companies that rule the world. Layoffs at producers of nothing and hiring freeze on producers of shiny gadgets. Go figure. LOL

a lost job is a lost job, even if it one talking trash.

That's funny because when we discussed new job creation over the last years you always belittled these jobs as "burger flippers".

• Options

Finally getting a pop in metals. The US dollar to the rescue!!

• Options
    edited November 10, 2022 2:11PM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

@derryb said:
    Appears the FED has a new, additional mandate: reduce jobs.

In an effort to reduce demand (and ultimately prices) "Intended" consequences of raising interest rates:

Wow the companies that rule the world. Layoffs at producers of nothing and hiring freeze on producers of shiny gadgets. Go figure. LOL

a lost job is a lost job, even if it one talking trash.

That's funny because when we discussed new job creation over the last years you always belittled these jobs as "burger flippers".

twisting words again, you're still not good at it.\

I have on many occasions addressed food service job creation as not being a good indicator of solid footing in celebrated jobs numbers. Many of these jobs are temporary, at the low end of the pay scale and are held as second jobs by those needing income. To say jobs are up 10% when most of them fall into that category does not paint a good picture for an improvement in the economy no matter how the politicians try to spin it. An improvement in what is often temporary jobs is simply a temporary improvement in employment figures.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Just sold a monster box to JM Bullion for 2.1 times what I paid for it in 2008.
    If you'd simply close the gutter mouth and open the gutter ears you wouldn't be deep in the hole with silver.

5% per year. Yay!!

Your buddy guttermouth would kill for such a return on silver. LOL

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    off to the races

Amazing the timing of such things isn't it?. Perhaps one day the sheep will awake. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Walmart reports strong earnings which were actually a loss when opioid settlement is subtracted. 8% or so growth in revenue yoy, which is about the rate of inflation over the period. It is reported that wealthier shoppers are now going to Walmart to buy food. The less wealthy shoppers are buying less or substituting, or alternatively running up their credit card debts. Then today Target reports 50% reduction in earnings, weak revenues now and going forward. The typical Target shopper has apparently moved on to Walmart. The good news....Target reported that shoplifting in their stores is up by 50%, which reduces the effects of inflation on a select group of shoppers.

• Options

Even gutter stackers need to eat. RGDS!

• Options
    KeevanKeevan Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Successful BST transactions (as a buyer) with @ArchStanton, @JGnumismatics, @r00kies101, @derryb, @76collector, @Pachucko, @brendanlam, @Coll3ctor. I am looking for fractional gold Krugerrands, by year: 0.5oz: 2014, 2020, 2023 | 0.25oz: 1992, 1994, 2002, 2020, 2023 | 0.10oz: 1990, 1992, 1994, 2010, 2020-2021

• Options

full speed ahead

• Options
    edited December 1, 2022 11:08PM

Amazon and FedEx are laying off massive numbers of employees before the busiest shopping season of the year. What do you think that means? Certainly not a sign of a "fixed" economy.

• Options
    KeevanKeevan Posts: 147 ✭✭✭

Payroll employment increases by 263,000 in November; unemployment rate unchanged at 3.7%
    Total nonfarm payroll employment increased by 263,000 in November, and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 3.7 percent. Notable job gains occurred in leisure and hospitality, health care, and government. Employment declined in retail trade and in transportation and warehousing.

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Successful BST transactions (as a buyer) with @ArchStanton, @JGnumismatics, @r00kies101, @derryb, @76collector, @Pachucko, @brendanlam, @Coll3ctor. I am looking for fractional gold Krugerrands, by year: 0.5oz: 2014, 2020, 2023 | 0.25oz: 1992, 1994, 2002, 2020, 2023 | 0.10oz: 1990, 1992, 1994, 2010, 2020-2021

• Options

Tyler: "It's settled then: the BLS plans on pretending there is no recession until the Fed pushes the economy into a depression."

• Options
    edited December 2, 2022 5:12PM

"Boomin" aka "PHAT™" LG!!!

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching with my popcorn. Hope the Dollar weakens very slowly over the next 20 years. Then I am good. ;)

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options

Cash is KING.

VIX tells me to be in cash.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Cash is KING.

Does this mean that most other assets are too much risk? If so then then the economy is not a good bet and the FED is far from solving most any of the problems. LOL

• Options

@derryb said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Cash is KING.

Does this mean that most other assets are too much risk? If so then then the economy is not a good bet and the FED is far from solving most any of the problems. LOL

Economy is doing just fine, too good for the fed obviously.

One of the things I do for fun is do swing trades in the stock market. Right now everyone is complacent, thus the low VIX. Look at a chart of the VIX. Compare that chart to the DJIA or SPX and you will see a correlation. Looking to go long and on margin when there is fear in the market.

As to another assets. I hold a large inventory of coins. We also hold long positions in many stocks in different accounts.

• Options

Bought 5 different stocks and a coin today.

Still have some dry powder plus margin if needed.

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

None of the 5 original choices work for me. I am positive on the stock market for the next 3 weeks but moderately bearish on stocks for the next 6 months. Slightly bullish on gold, silver and copper. I think interest rates (10 yr Tsy) have peaked, but likely will push a bit higher before resuming a decline to below 3 %.

The economy will almost certainly have a recession next year, severity to be determined.

Bitcoin might be a good or a short-term trade. Even though it only has value because people think it has value. I am positive because it has held up well recently with horrid news.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

I parked some funds into 3 & 6 month treasury bills...currently paying around 4.5% .. State income tax exempt.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

:):):)

• Options

I continue to buy more dollar insurance. B)

• Options

Fed is right on track.

Buy stocks on dips.

• Options

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Fed is right on track.

Just as they have been since they blew up the economy in 2008. LOL

• Options
    edited December 16, 2022 5:08PM

Liars figure and figures lie.

Fed Admits US Jobs "Overstated" By At Least 1.1 Million

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 24, 2022 4:54AM

More government wasteful spending! We need better!

I’m still looking for my trillion dollar handout coin. Have you seen it?

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Exbrit said:

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@Exbrit said:

BINGO! I feel worse already.

• Options

What Inflation Would Look Like in a True Free-Market Economy.

"The implication is straightforward. To wit, the Fed doesn’t need a pro-inflation target of 2.00% per annum. Nor does it need any of its other macroeconomic targets for unemployment, jobs growth, actual versus potential GDP or the rest of the Keynesian policy apparatus. All of those variables are the job of the people interacting on the free market, producing whatever outcomes their collective actions happened to generate."

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eggs are $9.00 a dozen today. So no Saturday morning bacon and eggs now. Looks like the new normal until I get some chickens.

• Options

@DNADave said:
    Eggs are $9.00 a dozen today. So no Saturday morning bacon and eggs now. Looks like the new normal until I get some chickens.

If you're serious start here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/

RGDS!

• Options

@DNADave said:

Best cure for high prices is high prices.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2023 6:52AM

@derryb said:
    What Inflation Would Look Like in a True Free-Market Economy.

"The implication is straightforward. To wit, the Fed doesn’t need a pro-inflation target of 2.00% per annum. Nor does it need any of its other macroeconomic targets for unemployment, jobs growth, actual versus potential GDP or the rest of the Keynesian policy apparatus. All of those variables are the job of the people interacting on the free market, producing whatever outcomes their collective actions happened to generate."

Lol. I hope folk actually read this nonsense.

For what he states is that all we need to combat inflation are massive boom and bust cycles. A few global wars and drought can do an economy good. Yeah!!! Bring it on baby. Haha.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2023 8:38AM

@DNADave said:

Time to change stores....

This is my store in the Washington DC metro area: Giant Food latest offering for eggs...... $2.99 EACH
    Giant Large White Eggs

edited to indicate 1 dozen eggs

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@cohodk said:

@DNADave said:

Does this work for narcissism?

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2023 12:40PM

Those of you who own hens... get them working harder! We need more eggs! Last I looked a week or so ago, they were around $4.50 a dozen or so, perhaps down just a bit. But supply does seem to be increasing a little more. For awhile, they were nearly bare.

----- kj
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2023 4:18PM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@DNADave said:

Does this work for narcissism?

Obviously doesn't for ignorance.

But, where is the economy? Seems everyone still has a job, car and home prices are softening a little, energy prices are lower. All good things for the consumer, no?

• Options

The sky is falling because of egg prices, gimme a break.

Chicken replacement cycle is fairly quick so this short term problem will not last.

• Options

Eggs are the new Bitcoin

• Options
    edited January 16, 2023 5:40AM

Some stack Au, gutter, mason jars, ammo, whiskey, wood, butter, beans etc. Nothing wrong with stacking a few eggs. Time for breakfast. RGDS!

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    Can you define a recession?

Whenever GDP declines for 2 successive quarters?

So recession is over?

https://www.bea.gov/news/2022/gross-domestic-product-third-quarter-2022-advance-estimate

GDP up 2.6%.

YES, THE PROCEEDS FROM ALL THE OIL SOLD FROM THE STRATEGIC PRESERVE WERE FACTORED INTO THE GDP. VERY CLEVER MOVE.

Have a nice day
  • Options

So they will be $1 in a few months.

• Options

At last count I've lived through at least six good recessions. I've been selling coins nationally since 1962. 61 years.
    In a nutshell, no matter what you call it, we have significant inflation. 8.7% for my SS bump or maybe 32% According to Martin Armstrong. The bottom line is it's beating a lot of people up.
    The only way that I see it being successfully dealt with is for the FED to raise rates above the 'inflation' rate'. To have the FED rate at 4.5% just fuels more inflation.
    If the FED were to raise the rate to the equal of what .gov(8.7%) says is our inflation, well, we're sunk.

I expect either coming layoffs with FED increases or wild inflation if FED rates are still kept close to what they are. 2008-9 may look like child's play. It's either/or.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@streeter said:

@cohodk said:

@jmski52 said:
    Can you define a recession?

Whenever GDP declines for 2 successive quarters?

So recession is over?

https://www.bea.gov/news/2022/gross-domestic-product-third-quarter-2022-advance-estimate

GDP up 2.6%.

YES, THE PROCEEDS FROM ALL THE OIL SOLD FROM THE STRATEGIC PRESERVE WERE FACTORED INTO THE GDP. VERY CLEVER MOVE.

So GDP increased by $415 billion and you account for that via SPR sales?

The average price of oil in the 3rd qtr was about $90. So oil sales would have amounted to about 4.6 billion barrels, or over 1 full year of US oil production.

Oil reserve sales were about 150 million barrels, or about 2 weeks of US production.

Typing in all capital letters still does not make your comment factual.

• Options

No I don't account for the 415B by spr sales. Do not ever twist what I say to fit your narrative.
    It's just an indicator of another clever move by .gov.
    Kelly you and I both know that the definition of inflation has changed so much in the last 40yrs that the current 8.7% is not anywhere near what is correct if you were to use older definitions that continuously evolved to lesson .gov financial obligation to SS.

Hey Kelly, when's the last time you had a job?

Have a nice day