New England Patriots 2022 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zappe looked good, he was fun to watch.

It was a great game, it's too bad we lost, I thought they would pull it off

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

We were thisclose. I have plenty to complain about on that last offensive 3 and out in OT, but there is really no use.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭✭

This is a good year to not have picked up the MLB package and I doubt if I ever will again as it is being watered down now so you have to subscribe to many different outfits now to watch all the games you want. It is the same with baseball!

• Options

Have you been watching the Patriots this year @tommyrusty7 ?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Zappe looked good, he was fun to watch.

It was a great game, it's too bad we lost, I thought they would pull it off

I definitely want to see Zappe again with a week to prepare. I do not need to see Hoyer. Been there done that. Our QB room is looking a bit sparse this morning.

• Options

Are we going to be signing another QB or is Hoyer ok?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

My mind tells me it is better if they lose, but my heart says otherwise. I found myself glued to the tube last night hoping for Zappe to work a miracle.

I will tell you though, he can throw the ball. decision making, it is way too early to tell. I would say he has better pure arm talent than Mac though. I hope Zappe will start until mac is ready to come back.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Are we going to be signing another QB or is Hoyer ok?

I have to think with all the Tua controversy that Hoyer will not be available next week.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    Have you been watching the Patriots this year @tommyrusty7 ?

I watched 1 Patriots and 2 Brady games game but did not get the NFL package. I am not going to get any of the sports packages any more unless the Red Sox make some spectacular signings then I will get that one but don't see the owner spending the kind of money to make it worth while.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zappe must learn that he can’t sit back there and wait forever.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2022 3:55PM

truth: i've never pulled for the Pats to win a game, ever. even during Brady's tenure. and it's not because i dislike them. i've just always been very indifferent about the team and watched their games with impartial eyes.

but that changed yesterday.

a 3rd-string QB from Houston Baptist going into Lambeau and potentially stealing A-Rodg's lunch money? with seemingly the weight of the world on his shoulders? now i'm invested. i swear i was doing everything in my power to will a conversion on that 3rd down from near midfield in OT. never cared one iota about the outcome of a New England game when Brady was at the helm, yet i was literally speaking to my television yesterday.

come on bro, one solid throw and you've got a fresh set of downs to sniff the kicker's range.

weird, huh?

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    truth: i've never pulled for the Pats to win a game, ever. even during Brady's tenure. and it's not because i dislike them. i've just always been very indifferent about the team and watched their games with impartial eyes.

but that changed yesterday.

a 3rd-string QB from Houston Baptist going into Lambeau and potentially stealing A-Rodg's lunch money? with seemingly the weight of the world on his shoulders? now i'm invested. i swear i was doing everything in my power to will a conversion on that 3rd down from near midfield in OT. never cared one iota about the outcome of a New England game when Brady was at the helm, yet i was literally speaking to my television yesterday.

come on bro, one solid throw and you've got a fresh set of downs to sniff the kicker's range.

weird, huh?

...Not weird, actually it makes a lot of sense (like the employee of the month at the penny factory). The reason this makes sense to me is that we (the collective we) are easily compelled by story lines. When we get even just an inkling of a reason to latch ourselves onto some rooting interest the entire feel of what we are doing as spectators transitions from casual observers into vested participants (in a way).

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

With Hoyer dealing with a concussion NE signed former practice squad QB Garret Gilbert and they've also signed LB Jamie Collins to the practice squad. TE Jonnu Smith is now week to week while dealing with an ankle injury.

• Options

Great win today. I slept through the second half, but I guess I knew we had it in the bag.

• Options

The D was lights out, I still am in disbelief they shut them out

I'm starting to believe this team is better than I anticipated, I definitely think they will win more than my 6 game prediction

• Options

I fell asleep too in the 2nd half but from what I did see of the game, the defense was lights out and outside of that one tipped pass from Zappe he looked pretty good. Stevenson was a beast, hopefully Harris's hamstring isn't going to be longterm.
    The announcers were talking about how thin we were at RB to begin with Montgomery on IR & Harris going down, looks like we'll probably see JJ Taylor & Pierre Strong brought up from the PS. It would be nice for the offense to start getting the backs involved in the passing game.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I fell asleep too in the 2nd half but from what I did see of the game, the defense was lights out and outside of that one tipped pass from Zappe he looked pretty good. Stevenson was a beast, hopefully Harris's hamstring isn't going to be longterm.
    The announcers were talking about how thin we were at RB to begin with Montgomery on IR & Harris going down, looks like we'll probably see JJ Taylor & Pierre Strong brought up from the PS. It would be nice for the offense to start getting the backs involved in the passing game.

Having our RBs involved in the passing game would be great. It puts the onus on the offensive staff to scheme things in a way that it is not obvious when we are running or passing on who we have on the field.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

The good old days !!!

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    The good old days !!!

That is definitely very high on my list of favorite meaningless Patriots games. Maybe at the top of that list. We could have made it 100-0 if we had left the starters in.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    The good old days !!!

There's a new sheriff in town.

He didn't put up 5tds in a 59-0 win but winning 29-0 in his first NFL start was good enough. 😎

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Goldenage said:
    The good old days !!!

He didn't put up 5tds in a 59-0 win but winning 29-0 in his first NFL start was good enough. 😎

I heard that there is outbreak of Zappe Fever in New England.

• Options

And btw, Brady had 6 TD passes that game, 5 in one quarter... 😎

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

@Goldenage said:
    The good old days !!!

I heard that there is outbreak of Zappe Fever in New England.

Let's enjoy it while we can lol. Hopefully Zappe keeps pushing Mac to play better once he's back on the field..

• Options

• Options

Just throwing this out there...

How many good starts does Zappe have to put in for a legitimate QB controversy?

we know Bill does not care about Seniority or contract size. Remember that one time he benched the $100MM 1st overall pick for some 6th round nobody...

• Options

@craig44 said:
    Just throwing this out there...

How many good starts does Zappe have to put in for a legitimate QB controversy?

we know Bill does not care about Seniority or contract size. Remember that one time he benched the $100MM 1st overall pick for some 6th round nobody...

I say keep him in there until he doesn't belong anymore

• Options
    edited October 11, 2022 9:18AM

I don't think Zappe has done enough yet to supplant Mac as full time starter but if Mac returns and doesn't improve on the TOs Bill should have him on a short leash. Maybe not make it public that its an open competition but hint that it is behind closed doors.

From all reports Zappe mostly lined up in shotgun in college and still has quite a bit to learn as far as being a traditional under the center QB. I remember when we drafted Jimmy Garoppolo he had the same type of skill set and needed to develop the rest of his game like Bailey will.

I do like that we have,what appear to be (still early), two solid QBs to develop and keep building around.

I do think that our offense could really use a legit #1 wideout though, That game where Mac got hurt we saw Parker have that type of impact but he's been an afterthought since then. Hopefully our QB,whoever it may be,starts looking his way more.

• Options

I'd say this was a great game overall aside from the penalties. The passing game had everyone involved,the defense has been crushing it,the play-calling has been much better on offense and I'm starting to buy in on Zappe.
    He's been showing that he can make all of the throws and they're letting him air it out which they rarely let Mac do a year ago, Its going to be interesting to see how BB handles Mac coming back into the fold in the coming weeks.
    There are also rumors of some tension behind the scene between Mac & the team:
    https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2022/10/16/mac-jones-relationship-with-patriots-albert-breer/

I know we're only about a 3rd of the way thru the season but our rookie class as a whole have been making a huge contribution.
    Zappe is 2-0 as a starter
    Cole Strange has played as well as any other rookie OL,
    Thornton just played in his 2nd game but had two TDs.
    Jack Jones has been lights out at CB.
    Marcus Jones has been a solid return man.

I know I criticize Belichick at times for his draft choices but so far this draft class has been very solid.

• Options

The complaints that Mac is rumored to have all make sense. He would be saying the same things I've said about Belichick's decision to not bring in an established OC. But he certainly made a big mistake if he was letting his feelings be known, especially because Mac was not playing as well this season as he did last year. He wasn't protecting the football and his accuracy seemed down. I don't think that Mac is going to lose his job. He will get his starting role back. By that point Patricia will have more games under his belt and the defense is already playing better. Mac will have his chance.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    The complaints that Mac is rumored to have all make sense. He would be saying the same things I've said about Belichick's decision to not bring in an established OC. But he certainly made a big mistake if he was letting his feelings be known, especially because Mac was not playing as well this season as he did last year. He wasn't protecting the football and his accuracy seemed down. I don't think that Mac is going to lose his job. He will get his starting role back. By that point Patricia will have more games under his belt and the defense is already playing better. Mac will have his chance.

I think Mac still has the edge on the starting job but it wouldn't hurt knowing that Zappe has been playing well in his absence. After reading that article I remembered reading another not too long after Mac was drafted saying that Bob Kraft had more input into picking him than BB did.
    Now that Jones has sort of struggled with his TOs going back to the final five games including playoffs of last season (8 total TO's) and over his first three games this season (6 total TO's) I can see BB sending him a message by making him sit an extra game or two when he returns if Bailey keeps playing like this.

• Options

Outstanding W!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Outstanding W!

Felt good, right?

• Options

after yesterday, I am not ready to bench Mac, but I sure would make sure he is 110% healthy before taking the field again. It would be nice to see 2-3 more Zappe games to have a bigger sample size of what he is.

my observations, very early on:

good decision making.
    coaching staff seems to have confidence in him as they seem comfortable letting him air it out.
    better arm talent than Mac.
    maybe bigger upside?

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

I think Mac still has the edge on the starting job but it wouldn't hurt knowing that Zappe has been playing well in his absence. After reading that article I remembered reading another not too long after Mac was drafted saying that Bob Kraft had more input into picking him than BB did.
    Now that Jones has sort of struggled with his TOs going back to the final five games including playoffs of last season (8 total TO's) and over his first three games this season (6 total TO's) I can see BB sending him a message by making him sit an extra game or two when he returns if Bailey keeps playing like this.

If it is true that Mac was more of a Kraft pick, I could completely see BB going with Zappe. seems like something he would do to put his mark further on this team. He didnt mind benching the highest paid QB in the league 21 years ago.

• Options

if i'm a Pats fan and Bill hands the starting role back to Mac, i'm upset. i haven't watched every NE game this season but based on what i have seen (and what I've read about), it's a different team with Zappe at the helm. he at least deserves a chance to prove that it's not all smoke and mirrors. i don't want to get all hyperbolic and say it's Bledsoe to Brady all over again, but isn't this exact scenario a hallmark of Belichick's legacy? running a meritocratic ship and not giving an f who you are or where you were drafted?

i say leave the kid in until proven otherwise

• Options

@galaxy27 said:
    if i'm a Pats fan and Bill hands the starting role back to Mac, i'm upset. i haven't watched every NE game this season but based on what i have seen (and what I've read about), it's a different team with Zappe at the helm. he at least deserves a chance to prove that it's not all smoke and mirrors. i don't want to get all hyperbolic and say it's Bledsoe to Brady all over again, but isn't this exact scenario a hallmark of Belichick's legacy? running a meritocratic ship and not giving an f who you are or where you were drafted?

You are correct. it is BBs MO. It has always been not who you are, but how you are playing. If it is true that Mac was more of a Kraft choice, I could absolutely see BB keeping Zappe on as a statement.

Bradys dad always said he fully expected BB would cut Tommy the second a younger/cheaper QB came in who could do as good a job.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Who ya got winning next monday night? 😎

• Options

@craig44 said:

@galaxy27 said:

You are correct. it is BBs MO. It has always been not who you are, but how you are playing. If it is true that Mac was more of a Kraft choice, I could absolutely see BB keeping Zappe on as a statement.

Bradys dad always said he fully expected BB would cut Tommy the second a younger/cheaper QB came in who could do as good a job.

Within these comments is one of the most points that can be made for what actually separated Brady from the rest. Brady played in a dysfunctional college system where he never knew if he would be the starter let alone finish games that he started. He learned to innately look over his shoulder constantly even while being at the top of the mountain.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@galaxy27 said:

Within these comments is one of the most points that can be made for what actually separated Brady from the rest. Brady played in a dysfunctional college system where he never knew if he would be the starter let alone finish games that he started. He learned to innately look over his shoulder constantly even while being at the top of the mountain.

Very true about Brady. His Michigan career was a mess. and he has never ever gotten over #199. He has always used those things as personal motivation. Personal bulleting board material. it works for some guys, always looking over your shoulder. Some guys melt under the same constant stress. I suppose it is all about different personality types. I remember Phil Simms was another guy who feasted on adversity. Parcells definitely took advantage of that and would frequently chew him out on the sidelines in front of teammates and cameras. other guys are more pat them on the rear and youll get em next time types.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

dude i'd love to make a LeBron profile pic bet with you for the entire month of November, but if i got Zapped i would probably go find stevek and hang out with him until December

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

@erikthredd said:

dude i'd love to make a LeBron profile pic bet with you for the entire month of November, but if i got Zapped i would probably go find stevek and hang out with him until December

Last I heard stevek shares an apartment with dimeman and they both root for the Commanders these days.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    Outstanding W!

Felt good, right?

I'm really happy for the players, they are playing their hearts out amidst all the negative talk about the team.

I'm one of their biggest fans and I'm hugely guilty of talking crap about them.

Go Zappe!

Yes I think they should stick with him over Jones, without question

• Options

• Options

Mac will get the start. The locker room is behind him. The other starters don't want to see him lose his job like that. We've seen Zappe. In a very limited sample. I want to see Mac for a few games running out ever-developing offense.

• Options

Mac and Devante Parker seemed to finally get on the same page in that Ravens game before Jones got hurt. Parker caught 5 for 156yds and a 31/ypr average that day so hopefully those two reconnect again.
    Agholor is dealing with a hamstring issue and Bourne a toe injury,it would be great to see at least one of those two back on monday along with Myers and the rookie speedster Thornton. Its been awhile since we've had multiple deep threats at the wideout position.

• Options

There were reports over the weekend that teams were calling about trade offers for WRs Kendrick Bourne & Nelson Agholor,hopefully this is just BB listening to offers but not looking to deal. Jamie Collins was brought up from the PS for this game.

We've got some big names on tonight's injury report:
    QUESTIONABLE
    WR Nelson Agholor - Hamstring (LP)
    DL Christian Barmore - Knee (LP)
    WR Kendrick Bourne - Toe (LP)
    DL Lawrence Guy - Shoulder (LP)
    LB Anfernee Jennings - Calf (LP)
    CB Jonathan Jones - Ankle (LP)
    QB Mac Jones - Ankle (LP)
    CB Jalen Mills - Illness (LP)
    G Mike Onwenu - Ankle (LP)
    LB Josh Uche, Hamstring (LP)
    CB Shaun Wade - Illness (DNP)
    T Isaiah Wynn - Shoulder (LP)

Hopefully we get the twofer tonight with the Pats beating the Bears and the Celtics beating the Bulls. It sucks that both games start at the same time. 😠😠😠

• Options

Rough game

• Options

Chicago kicked our ass twice last night.

• Options

that was just rough. couldnt stop the QB runs. was as if Lamar Jackson was out there.