New England Patriots 2022 Discussion Thread

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    It's hard to look sharp with WR's that are not that great and a shaky OL

I saw flashes of good things in the first game. I swear I did.

Myers made a great catch for sure

The first drive was great , until it wasn't, plus we did move the ball later. We just didn't put anything together points wise. The strip sack TD seemed to be game over. And our next possession was not good.

This was how I felt too. They were moving the ball on the first drive until the tipped INT. Then that second drive they got some decent yards but a penalty+sack put them back before punting. Then the fumble on the third drive that was taken in for a TD pretty much stalled any momentum that our offense had slowly built by moving the ball, at the very least.
    We got into the end zone on that first drive of 2nd half but after that our offense ,due to poor execution or play calling, couldn't move the ball at all. Gotta give credit to Miami's defense for shutting them down too.

Just saw that Ty Montgomery got put on IR for at least 4 weeks. That sucks, I was hoping he could help fill that James White role,maybe JJ Taylor gets brought back up from the PS.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    I have the right to remain silent. I just don’t have the ability.
    Remember when Gronk said it was no fun?
    You can run a team like that while you’re winning Super Bowls and everyone says that’s why.
    When you’re struggling and still not having fun, well you look like Mike Zimmer.

Joe your well within your rights to enjoy this thread as the long season marches on.

You have paid your dues as a Bills fan 🍻

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Just saw that Ty Montgomery got put on IR for at least 4 weeks. That sucks, I was hoping he could help fill that James White role,maybe JJ Taylor gets brought back up from the PS.

I saw we were bringing up Lil'Jordan. I think he will be a fan favorite.

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    I have the right to remain silent. I just don’t have the ability.
    Remember when Gronk said it was no fun?
    You can run a team like that while you’re winning Super Bowls and everyone says that’s why.
    When you’re struggling and still not having fun, well you look like Mike Zimmer.

Joe your well within your rights to enjoy this thread as the long season marches on.

You have paid your dues as a Bills fan 🍻

The more in here the merrier. And plus I respect your opinion and can handle the truth... :D

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

If I remember right,wasn't he the TE/Wr that played well during our first couple preseason games? He might be too big to play that third down pass catching back role but I'm all for having another option on offense.

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

If I remember right,wasn't he the TE/Wr that played well during our first couple preseason games? He might be too big to play that third down pass catching back role but I'm all for having another option on offense.

Yes, and he is the one who who made that amazing special teams play against the Panthers in the pre season.

W!!!!

I'll take it. Not perfect, but beggars can't be choosers.

The offense showed improvement over last week and that's all that you can ask for as a fan,defense too. Other than one bad Mac throw they held onto the ball and made plays. Lets see if they can keep it going next week with the Ravens coming to town. They lost to Miami today but Jackson had a phenomal game so our D will have their hands full.

I'm happy about Mac looking pretty good, I want to see him improving each week

@erikthredd said:
    The offense showed improvement over last week and that's all that you can ask for as a fan,defense too. Other than one bad Mac throw they held onto the ball and made plays. Lets see if they can keep it going next week with the Ravens coming to town. They lost to Miami today but Jackson had a phenomal game so our D will have their hands full.

Bad news is that the Ravens are going to be pretty upset about blowing that lead to the Dolphins and will be looking to right the ship. But as you say we showed improvement. On both sides. I only saw the second half, but saw highlights from the first. I liked what I saw. Next week is the home opener, maybe that'll help us.

edited September 20, 2022 5:03AM

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

Bad news is that the Ravens are going to be pretty upset about blowing that lead to the Dolphins and will be looking to right the ship. But as you say we showed improvement. On both sides. I only saw the second half, but saw highlights from the first. I liked what I saw. Next week is the home opener, maybe that'll help us.

It will be tough for them to contain Jax running,

Let's savor this W for today though, another win in Pittsburgh

We seem to do well in Pittsburgh like we do terrible in Miami

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2022 4:07PM

Looking through this entire thread for a purple and black box for a certain forum member and wondering "Why the heck hasn't @thisistheshow posted anything? I hope he is okay"?! And then I see this:

:o:D

edited September 18, 2022 5:13PM

@Hallco said:
    Looking through this entire thread for a purple and black box for a certain forum member and wondering "Why the heck hasn't @thisistheshow posted anything? I hope he is okay"?! And then I see this:

:o:D

Yes, I lost an "avatar" bet. I am "cowboy Rodgers" until Sept 30 turns Oct 1

Our team, despite winning week 2, has still shown me nothing to make me think that there are too may Ws on the menu this year. We used to be the 1% of the NFL, but we re now the 99%.

I am old enough, as all of you are, to remember the pre-Brady days of despair. But that was long ago. And truthfully, I had forgotten how meaningful division match-ups could feel. I also forgot all about the joy you could take in a division rivals defeat, or the pain you can feel watching them succeed.

Watching Buffalo last night was not pleasant for me. Sure, I appreciate the magic of Allen. I appreciate the Bills roster. But watching them like that stung. However, now we also have the Dolphins at 2-0. Well, at least we have the Jets...but lo and behold the Jets made a miraculous comeback and we are tied with them for last in the division. We can't finish last in the division, right? Right?

edited September 20, 2022 6:09AM

@thisistheshow said:
    Our team, despite winning week 2, has still shown me nothing to make me think that there are too may Ws on the menu this year. We used to be the 1% of the NFL, but we re now the 99%.

I am old enough, as all of you are, to remember the pre-Brady days of despair. But that was long ago. And truthfully, I had forgotten how meaningful division match-ups could feel. I also forgot all about the joy you could take in a division rivals defeat, or the pain you can feel watching them succeed.

Watching Buffalo last night was not pleasant for me. Sure, I appreciate the magic of Allen. I appreciate the Bills roster. But watching them like that stung. However, now we also have the Dolphins at 2-0. Well, at least we have the Jets...but lo and behold the Jets made a miraculous comeback and we are tied with them for last in the division. We can't finish last in the division, right? Right?

I'm fine with it, I'm actually looking forward to this week's Bill's vs Miami game.

I tapered my expectations to a very minimum this year as you guys know, its all about Mac improving, I'm not even concerned with their record because they are not a playoff team by any stretch

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2022 6:44AM

Don't look now, but Buffalo is a giant and the Dolphins are not far behind. The Patriots will finish third in their division. They should beat out the Jets with re-tread Joe Flacco as their quarterback.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones said:
    Don't look now, but Buffalo is a giant and the Dolphins are not far behind. The Patriots were finish third in their division. They should beat out the Jets with re-tread Joe Flacco as their quarterback.

I dont believe any true Pats fan thinks we are going to finish ahead of the Bill's and Fish

While I don't expect us to turn into this undefeated juggernaut I think its way to early to just assume every game will be a loss. Just look back at last season where they started out with a L/W/L/L/W/L over their first six games then went on a seven game win streak and that was with a rookie QB throwing to a bunch of new targets on offense.
    This team will definitely get better as the season goes along. How much better remains to be seen but we still have plenty of talent on both sides of the ball with a HC whose shown he's one of the best ever at putting players in a position where they'll succeed. We're only two games in with plenty more to go.

Has anyone here read or heard anything new about safety Kyle Dugger's knee injury since sunday? The announcers mentioned he hurt his knee and wouldn't return and the only articles I've come across since just mention that he may miss some time. He might be their best defender and that would be a huge loss,imo.

@erikthredd said:
    Has anyone here read or heard anything new about safety Kyle Dugger's knee injury since sunday? The announcers mentioned he hurt his knee and wouldn't return and the only articles I've come across since just mention that he may miss some time. He might be their best defender and that would be a huge loss,imo.

Nothing. I looked and found nada.

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I'm pretty sure he got hurt as the return man on a kickoff. Miles Bryant came close to muffing a kick in the endzone early in the game where Pitt almost got a safety, then Bryant got pulled for Dugger. We'd still have Jabril Peppers to fill in at safety but losing Dugger would be rough.

@erikthredd said:

@thisistheshow said:

@erikthredd said:

I'm pretty sure he got hurt as the return man on a kickoff. Miles Bryant came close to muffing a kick in the endzone early in the game where Pitt almost got a safety, then Bryant got pulled for Dugger. We'd still have Jabril Peppers to fill in at safety but losing Dugger would be rough.

Dugger is our best defender probably.

The sloppy play on offense in the 4th was just brutal but Kudos to the defense for keeping it somewhat close until that barrage of TOs late. Mac's injury didn't look good at all.

Yes, our D had sone good moments, but they also gave up a bunch of points. However, the story is the TOs. Mac should've had that pick 6 as well. Very sloppy. Wish agholar had put two hands on that ball. I know that is uncommon, but it's a good idea.

Not sure yet of course, but it looks like a serious injury for the MacAttack.

@thisistheshow said:
    Not sure yet of course, but it looks like a serious injury for the MacAttack.

X-ray was negative but he's still got an MRI tomorrow. Either way he's most likely to miss next week at the very least. I say throw Zappe out there over Hoyer,we're likely to lose no matter who was out there.

Tough second half game to watch. They hung in there for a bit but too many mistakes

Agreed about Zappe, if we watch Hoyer take all the snaps im.going to be pissed

Hope Mac gets better quick

It's looking like he's gonna miss at least the next four games with this injury and possibly longer. I remember reading that N'Keal Harry had a high ankle sprain back in early August soon after getting traded to Chicago and he eventually ended up needing surgery that sent him on IR.
    After the surgery his expected recovery time was 8-10 weeks (early November) and I'd expect roughly the same for Mac if similar surgery is needed. Maybe a bit sooner seeing that at his position he doesn't need the full mobility that a WR would need?
    Playing Devil's Advocate here though I'd never see Belichick doing this...I'd give Mac all the time needed for his full recovery while playing the rookie QB and try positioning for the best possible draft picks they can. Losing just helps your draft position and on the odd chance that Zappe plays better than expected,who knows, BB may have the chance to trade him off for a decent pick. At this point I want to watch Hoyer about as much as I would Cam Newton.

edited September 26, 2022 12:32PM

The hazard of Big Bill having early draft picks is he will more than likely miss on drafting the best guy

I have negative interest in watching Hoyer play, honestly we don't have any chance of going deep into the playoffs let alone making the playoffs so if Bill is interested in doing what makes the most sense then Zappe should be starting while Mac is out

edited September 26, 2022 1:45PM

@perkdog said:
    The hazard of Big Bill having early draft picks is he will more than likely miss on drafting the best guy

I wouldn't say this when you go back and look at the players he's drafted in the top 20 range of the first round. His top 20 picks have been great to very good (Seymour/Mayo/Warren.)

He's definitely had his share of duds in the 20-32 range (Maroney/Meriweather/Easley/Brown/Harry) but he's also found plenty of studs too (Wilfork/Mankins/McCourty/Hightower/Jones/Solder) plus some that played a role in SB win(s) (Graham/Wynn/Michel)

I'm ok with seeing a few years of losing to try building up as much talent as possible through the draft rather than watching us compete for the wild card at best. Two years picking in the top 10 of each round could probably make a huge difference,imo.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

These 3 say Go Pats !

@Goldenage said:
    These 3 say Go Pats !

Jim Rice, Dwight Evans I got but who is in the middle?

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:
    These 3 say Go Pats !

May I very kindly and with love say “SHAME on you !!!”

LF on the left
    RF on the right

Who’s in the center ?

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:
    These 3 say Go Pats !

LF on the left
    RF on the right

Who’s in the center ?

@galaxy27 said:

OMG I'm absolutely ashamed of myself.

My apologies to everyone here, this is an embarrassment 😳

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:
    These 3 say Go Pats !

LF on the left
    RF on the right

Who’s in the center ?

@galaxy27 said:

Just show us a picture of that amazing cute dog of yours and you’ll be forgiven 🤗

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:
    These 3 say Go Pats !

LF on the left
    RF on the right

Who’s in the center ?

@galaxy27 said:

Just show us a picture of that amazing cute dog of yours and you’ll be forgiven 🤗

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will add my name to the list of those who have absolutely no desire to watch Hoyer play this weekend. give the young guy a chance. If he bombs, who cares. just one loss closer to a higher draft pick.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:
    These 3 say Go Pats !

LF on the left
    RF on the right

Who’s in the center ?

@galaxy27 said:

She’s adorable! As some know I lost my little buddy in November. My wife’s dog of 15 years passed in February. We went 5 months hemming and hawing but life without a good dog just isn’t a good life so in June we found this girl. Owner divorcing couldn’t keep here it was meant to be. We named her Brandy after Brad Pitts dog in Once upon a time in Hollywood. House training, all shots and neutered. It was meant to be.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Is Mac possibly not going to miss much time? I'm hearing his return could be sooner rather than later?

edited September 30, 2022 5:59PM

Thank you Joe, Pheobe appreciates the nice compliment

Your new dog is awesome, enjoy!!

@2dueces

Love the dog pics guys. I have two myself. They are amazing creatures!!

edited October 2, 2022 8:50AM

I just noticed that BB brought back OL Marcus Cannon recently after having traded him to the Texans last year. I like it, the guy could still play when he got dealt but it was just because he was making too much money at the time. He's should fit right in to our OL rotation.

I really wanted that win. We are no longer contenders , so now it's all about the smaller, more nuanced victories. This would have been one of them. But no dice.

@thisistheshow said:
    I really wanted that win. We are no longer contenders , so now it's all about the smaller, more nuanced victories. This would have been one of them. But no dice.

Bragging rights for a week where we could say Brady couldn't beat Arod but Zappe did would have been fun lol.