Home U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the record I like the coin but fail to see what CAC means here

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin that I would be interested in.... I know many collectors like that condition, but not for me. Cheers, RickO

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pass. Perhaps it looks better under the right lighting.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin, personally. You can still see the luster through the dark toning.

I think CAC realizes that the coin is good for the grade, despite fingerprints and dark toning, and that there is a market for it in that 3 holder.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

NGC should have never straight graded that... Reverse is Terminally Toned.

Label should read NGC UNC DETAILS "Environmental Damage".

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morpheus1967 said:
    Why would someone even send that to CAC in the first place?

Why would someone send it to NGC?

I'm guessing the toning is lighter in hand and they need it to be authenticated as "natural".

@oih82w8 said:
    Pass. Perhaps it looks better under the right lighting.

It is probably lighter. Look how dark the white holder is.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would someone spend their hard earned money:
    1. Having a 1923 Peace Dollar slabbed
    2. Having it stickered
    ?

The reason is that someone thought they could make big money selling it into the "toner" market. I wonder how that worked out? Is there a market for Peace Dollars with that kind of a look? Nothing would surprise me in the current coin collecting market.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a coin I’d want, for several reasons.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

YUCK!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:
    For the record I like the coin but fail to see what CAC means here

CAC means it's solid for the grade, meaning a MS63 A or B coin.

@Broadstruck said:

Do you think CAC should have stickered it?

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Why would someone spend their hard earned money:
    1. Having a 1923 Peace Dollar slabbed
    2. Having it stickered
    ?

The reason is that someone thought they could make big money selling it into the "toner" market. I wonder how that worked out? Is there a market for Peace Dollars with that kind of a look? Nothing would surprise me in the current coin collecting market.

Here it is for sale:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2021 6:36AM

@Zoins said:

@Broadstruck said:

No... It shouldn't have graded as a problem free coin nor been stickered.

As the problem with this coin is it will end up an individual within the collector sector that places complete faith just in the fact that it meet the approval of CAC.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
    edited October 13, 2021 6:37AM

@Broadstruck said:

@Zoins said:

@Broadstruck said:

No... It shouldn't have graded as a problem free coin nor been stickered.

As the problem with this coin is it will end up an individual within the collector sector that places complete faith just in the fact that it meet the approval of CAC.

Could CAC buy it sight unseen?

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s eBay

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a goggle search

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

CAC will sticker dark toned coins as I believe they think that helps affirm originality.

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    CAC will sticker dark toned coins as I believe they think that helps affirm originality.

I disagree with this esp for the seated series. He has specifically stated some coins had too much skin and since luster was impacted he declined to sticker. These were some of the more original seated and trade dollars I have seen. The peace dollar is a mess but I am sure it appeals to a few, I find the CAC sticker puzzling but I withhold judgement since I haven't seen it in hand and if CAC liked it I give the benefit of the doubt that I might be missing something without a more through inspection. I suspect I would still disagree with it in hand but CAC doesn't factor in Crypto's standards so there's that.

• ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see this coin in hand, or perhaps a video of it.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ironically, I think this two figure coin (priced at three figures) might be receiving more attention than a five figure one with similar negative qualities, would.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting comments so far. I don't have a problem with the grade or with the sticker. In-hand, it's probably plenty lustrous despite the deep toning. It might even technically might merit a 64 or 65 grade, knocked down for eye appeal. Also, the level of toning might not be accurately depicted in the photo.

Even if the toning is that dark, it's still an appropriately graded, common-as-dirt MS63. The cost of slabbing and grading exceeds its numismatic premium.

I still don't have to like it, and I don't.

While I tend to like CAC'd Peace dollars, there are a huge number that I don't care for. Maybe 1 in 20 meets my personal ownership criteria.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe the coin did not look that way when slabbed and sticker. It could have been improperly stored.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

@MFeld said:
    Ironically, I think this two figure coin (priced at three figures) might be receiving more attention than a five figure one with similar negative qualities, would.

It's also just a 63. I'm not sure why people are so upset that it reached that (not) lofty grade.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keep it

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

It's also just a 63. I'm not sure why people are so upset that it reached that (not) lofty grade.

It makes for an easy target. Never mind that it might look quite different in hand.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin and the print doesn’t bother me.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

"It's dark and icky. And it's in one of those holders. And has a- gasp... sticker, too? Avert your eyes! Run away!"

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just making sure ste sticker didn't 'fall off' another coin, I checked CAC website.
    CAC Coin Look-Up
    You can use the CAC Verification Search form below to check the CAC database for ALL coins that CAC has stickered. The database is updated every night, so if your coin was just submitted, please be patient.

Coin Verification Search
    Cert #
    6252005-007
    Coin Verification Results
    Serial Number
    Grading Service
    NGC
    Description
    1922 Dollars Peace MS63
    Status

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

One again. The little green sticker means.....

Its in the top 2/3's of the grade
    It has original surfaces
    CAC would make a market in it.

Coins have fingerprints because humans use fingers to pick up coins. Sorry if that offends you. You do not have to like them, but why do have to dislike them so much that you feel the need to share your disdain with others? Is there a coin-collecting rule out there that says a coin cannot have fingerprints? Let me guess, you like your blast white?

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

At Long Beach a week or so ago, I saw a gorgeously toned MS 67 type coin, with a CAC sticker, which had a finger print which you could see if you looked at the coin carefully.

This is why you need to look at the coin yourself, or have someone you trust look at it for you. Ideally both. There are some issues that the grading services and CAC think are acceptable for a particular grade: some fingerprints and adjustment marks on early Dollars, for example - that some collectors don't like, and others are indifferent about them.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shows you what CAC's priorities are. Attractive obviously isn't one of them.

thefinn
  • mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard pass on this one. Needs to be cracked and dipped.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

@thefinn said:
    Shows you what CAC's priorities are. Attractive obviously isn't one of them.

it is quite well known what CAC is stickering. Solid for a 63. Nothing more. Nothing less.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Yuck.
    2. It may very well be a solid for MS63, and CAC may very well be justified in stickering it even with the eye sore prints. MS63s don’t have to be pretty.
    3. The coin does illustrate that contrary to popular opinion, not all CACed coins are worth a premium, PQ, or “like the Mercedes” of coin collecting.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mr1874 said:
    Hard pass on this one. Needs to be cracked and dipped.

No, it really doesn't.

peacockcoins

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fathom said:
    Here is a dark toned Mint State CAC:

There is no comparison to the coin in the OP. The Seated coin is much more attractive. It is also graded MS61 and not MS63.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file