Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

3 massive finger prints didnt scare away CAC?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    The OP 63 Peace Dollar is a common, environment damaged, ugly coin. I don’t care what CAC thinks about it or anybody else. Throw it back in the bargain box lol.

The Seated $ is an ugly coin possibly deserves a details grade. The sticker on it means nothing to me. Send it in for conservation? I question if they would even offer 40% TPG MV if it was shopped around the bourse.

We've got multiple professionals who have seen the Seated $ in hand and who believe it deserves a straight grade. You have not seen it in person and disagree. Hmmmm... whom should I believe?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2021 3:29PM

I agree and disagree with you with regards to ebay. Auction for anything is a gamble on ebay, but fixed price finds buyers that don't even look at Heritage, Stacks, GC, etc.. I'm not talking about chump change coins either! There's no gamble with a fixed price, you sell it for what you want or don't sell it!

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

Thank you. It sounds as if I misunderstood the point you were trying to prove. I thought you were offering the listing to prove that coins can bring strong prices on eBay. And of course, many do, while many others don’t.

Thank you. I am merely trying to explain things as viewed from a "possible" 16 year old young numismatist's perspective because the next generation is the future of the hobby.
    The reason I say "possible" is because right now he is more interested in making money off of it than collecting because he loves to turn around a purchase to flip and make a tidy profit
    He and I get into similar discussions and can very well see the angle approached from. Just wanted to share it with the old guard that being rigid and deeply entrenched in the past is not going to help nor save the situation and will end up just like what happened to philately.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardlehmann/2020/02/19/price-discovery-in-stamps/

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/2017/july/embrace-change-move-stamp-collecting-forward.html

Edited to add Forbes article and a dealer's write up links to draw paralles. The much needed shift in approach to thinking outside the box is required NOW. Incidentally my son would NOT touch with a barge pole the CAC stickered peace coin which is the main theme of the thread. ;)

No one is a greater fan of ebay than I. I've done more than 75,000 transactions valued at over $2 million. But there are coins I would immediately send to Heritage and not even think about putting on ebay. If you think you are saving 20% on those coins, I can safely say you are actually losing 20% or more. But you simply refuse to understand that.

It has nothing to do with old guard, Sears nonsense that you keep spewing.

When the value added is more than the cost, only a fool refuses to pay it.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I agree and disagree with you with regards to ebay. Auction for anything is a gamble on ebay, but fixed price finds buyers that don't even look at Heritage, Stacks, GC, etc.. I'm not talking about chump change coins either! There's no gamble with a fixed price, you sell it for what you want or don't sell it!

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

Thank you. It sounds as if I misunderstood the point you were trying to prove. I thought you were offering the listing to prove that coins can bring strong prices on eBay. And of course, many do, while many others don’t.

Thank you. I am merely trying to explain things as viewed from a "possible" 16 year old young numismatist's perspective because the next generation is the future of the hobby.
    The reason I say "possible" is because right now he is more interested in making money off of it than collecting because he loves to turn around a purchase to flip and make a tidy profit
    He and I get into similar discussions and can very well see the angle approached from. Just wanted to share it with the old guard that being rigid and deeply entrenched in the past is not going to help nor save the situation and will end up just like what happened to philately.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardlehmann/2020/02/19/price-discovery-in-stamps/

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/2017/july/embrace-change-move-stamp-collecting-forward.html

Edited to add Forbes article and a dealer's write up links to draw paralles. The much needed shift in approach to thinking outside the box is required NOW. Incidentally my son would NOT touch with a barge pole the CAC stickered peace coin which is the main theme of the thread. ;)

No one is a greater fan of ebay than I. I've done more than 75,000 transactions valued at over $2 million. But there are coins I would immediately send to Heritage and not even think about putting on ebay. If you think you are saving 20% on those coins, I can safely say you are actually losing 20% or more. But you simply refuse to understand that.

Again, it depends on what it is.

I listed a coin fixed price (MS large cent) on ebay on and off for 6 months at $6000. I sent it to Heritage and it hammered at almost $9000. Well worth the 20%

There are some things that are better in other venues. Works both ways. Some things are better on ebay.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

WOW, that's an average gross of nearly $27 per transaction! To say I'm impressed would be an overstatement. B)

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

WOW, that's an average gross of nearly $27 per transaction! To say I'm impressed would be an overstatement. B)

I'm the king of $2 stamps and covers.

If I had done 75,000 transactions at an average of $2700, I wouldn't be talking to you peons. Lol

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2021 6:38PM

@HalfDimeDude said:
    First of all I didn't purchase the specimen, it was taken in a trade as the original owner did not have the cash to complete a deal. It was an great choice to take it as l did state it sold quickly and a profits were made.
    I see so many here who want their opions or post respected ....however they do not extend the same courtesy or respect to other members options.You know they have streets call " one way" and thats exactly what I see here....as long as its " your opion" then all should bow down, and not make waves.....! Agree,and respect your post.

Well whether you like it or not, whether you like me , or not doesn't mean squat to me.....but like it or not as long as the rules, and regulations of this forum aren't broken . Then my opions as well as any other other members opion ....should recieve with the same amount of respect regardless!

As it be very easy to troll your post and dump as much garbage as you done here!
    But thats what trolls do......and that my friend is MY OPION!

My point was to call out your name calling, which really, is um, well, not nice. BTW, what is 'opion'? That is not a word in the US english dictionary.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

Nothing wrong with that. Nobody here looks down on people who don't have a lot to spend on their collections.

Do they?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

If I had done 75,000 transactions at an average of $2700, I wouldn't be talking to you peons. Lol

Well played, sir, well played. :)

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Nothing wrong with that. Nobody here looks down on people who don't have a lot to spend on their collections.

Do they?

Coinjunkie might...lol

I've sold 99 cent stamps and $10k coins and everything in between. It's been fun and educational, and profitable, although not probably worth the time I spent. But it keeps me off the streets at night and I'm neither bragging nor complaining.

• Options

@spacehayduke said:

@HalfDimeDude said:
    First of all I didn't purchase the specimen, it was taken in a trade as the original owner did not have the cash to complete a deal. It was an great choice to take it as l did state it sold quickly and a profits were made.
    I see so many here who want their opions or post respected ....however they do not extend the same courtesy or respect to other members options.You know they have streets call " one way" and thats exactly what I see here....as long as its " your opion" then all should bow down, and not make waves.....! Agree,and respect your post.

Well whether you like it or not, whether you like me , or not doesn't mean squat to me.....but like it or not as long as the rules, and regulations of this forum aren't broken . Then my opions as well as any other other members opion ....should recieve with the same amount of respect regardless!

As it be very easy to troll your post and dump as much garbage as you done here!
    But thats what trolls do......and that my friend is MY OPION!

My point was to call out your name calling, which really, is um, well, not nice. BTW, what is 'opion'? That is not a word in the US english dictionary.

Best, SH

Synthetic opium...

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Synthetic opium...

Or maybe a narcotic onion...

• Options

1) Some fingerprints are less obvious than others.
    2) Fingerprints on circulated coins are generally more forgivable.

Nonetheless, I don't like them on coins in my collection.

• Options
    vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2021 9:17PM

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Exactly.
    Am sure more folks see the BS coming out of jmlanzaf but they all perhaps prefer to keep quiet ;)

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Do they?

Coinjunkie might...lol

I've sold 99 cent stamps and $10k coins and everything in between. It's been fun and educational, and profitable, although not probably worth the time I spent. But it keeps me off the streets at night and I'm neither bragging nor complaining.

More hubris and hypocrisy with warped explanation because all the tall tales seem to be coming off at the seams. :trollface:

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    1) Some fingerprints are less obvious than others.
    2) Fingerprints on circulated coins are generally more forgivable.

Nonetheless, I don't like them on coins in my collection.

I once picked up a proof 1973 bahamas 10 dollar coin in the raw https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces16333.html and it has a HUGE thumbprint right across, but didn't pay much for it because of that. It was amongst a few other coins from same period that I had purchased sort of like a set. :)

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2021 10:36PM

I think that there is a vast difference between an A and a B coin even by subjective means and as such CAC is of little value. C coins in theory should be an obvious stand out. So whats the point. That's like lumping the 1% elite wealthy with the middle class and calling that 1 thing in the same.
    I consider myself a toned peace dollar collector, among other things. And as such I know the majority of people's opinion on a coin like my op. Despite liking it because of my niche interest in everything toned peace. But I know the masses do not consider this an A or B coin due to its terminal crusted toning. Which is why I wagged my finger by posting this thread.

• Options

@ACop said:
    I think that there is a vast difference between an A and a B coin even by subjective means and as such CAC is of little value. C coins in theory should be an obvious stand out. So whats the point. That's like lumping the 1% elite wealthy with the middle class and calling that 1 thing in the same.
    I consider myself a toned peace dollar collector, among other things. And as such I know the majority of people's opinion on a coin like my op. Despite liking it because of my niche interest in everything toned peace. But I know the masses do not consider this an A or B coin due to its terminal crusted toning. Which is why I wagged my finger by posting this thread.

That salvo ought to keep the thread going for another few hundred posts... ;)

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2021 5:10AM

@vulcanize said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Exactly.
    Am sure more folks see the BS coming out of jmlanzaf but they all perhaps prefer to keep quiet ;)

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Do they?

Coinjunkie might...lol

More hubris and hypocrisy with warped explanation because all the tall tales seem to be coming off at the seams. :trollface:

I didn’t see where he posted any tall tales or warped explanations. Like it or not, he has considerable experience buying, selling and consigning coins. How about trying to make your points without throwing out insults?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@vulcanize said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Exactly.

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Do they?

Coinjunkie might...lol

I think your ad hominem attacks prove more than anything I've said. Insults aren't counter arguments.

What hypocrisy? What tall tales? Every dealer, and many collectors, in here could tell similar stores. My experience is neither exceptional nor unusual.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    I didn’t see where he posted any tall tales or warped explanations. Like it or not, he has considerable experience buying, selling and consigning coins. How about trying to make your points without throwing out insults?

I did. With the eBay example of a D. L. Hansen coin and as rightly noted, some do very well especially with the fixed price BIN and some of the auctions are a hit or miss at times.

As for insults, it is a two way street and I am not going to get down to that level of trading barbs.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I think your ad hominem attacks prove more than anything I've said. Insults aren't counter arguments.

What hypocrisy? What tall tales? Every dealer, and many collectors, in here could tell similar stores. My experience is neither exceptional nor unusual.

Well, in the same vein what insult and what counter argument then?

• Options
    edited October 17, 2021 6:06AM

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

I did. With the eBay example of a D. L. Hansen coin and as rightly noted, some do very well especially with the fixed price BIN and some of the auctions are a hit or miss at times.

As for insults, it is a two way street and I am not going to get down to that level of trading barbs.

He has clearly indicated that he thinks many coins do better on eBay (and others on different venues).
    Sorry, but it looks to me as if you’ve already gone down to at least that level of trading barbs.

Edited to add: Here’s one of his comments about eBay: “There are some things that are better in other venues. Works both ways. Some things are better on ebay.”

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:
    He has clearly indicated that he thinks many coins do better on eBay (and others on different venues). I
    Sorry, but it looks to me as if you’ve already gone down to at least that level of trading barbs.

No. The essential countering was the percentages as a starting point and since the prior sale price for the MS 65+ D. L Hansen coin that came up on eBay hitherto remains unknown (and you said the data was insufficient fom PCGS and that was all that could be pulled for past three years) everything is in a limbo and I dropped it because this thread was getting pulled in a different direction which was not my aim.

And kindly do not make excuses for his repugnant and obnoxious responses in general because if he is truly having the expertise and knowledge as you state, it should not be the avenue for such sort of remarks and calling it out as hubris is a fact and not an insult.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found a live one, folks. Let the bidding wars begin. This one is a '21 so it'll be interesting to see what it actually goes for.

Great Collections: 1921 Peace Silver Dollar High Relief PCGS MS-63 CAC OGH (2nd Gen) (Toned)

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:
    He has clearly indicated that he thinks many coins do better on eBay (and others on different venues). I

No. The essential countering was the percentages as a starting point and since the prior sale price for the MS 65+ D. L Hansen coin that came up on eBay hitherto remains unknown (and you said the data was insufficient fom PCGS and that was all that could be pulled for past three years) everything is in a limbo and I dropped it because this thread was getting pulled in a different direction which was not my aim.

And kindly do not make excuses for his repugnant and obnoxious responses in general because if he is truly having the expertise and knowledge as you state, it should not be the avenue for such sort of remarks and calling it out as hubris is a fact and not an insult.

You don’t seem to have dropped anything. If your aim really isn’t to pull this thread in a different direction, I challenge you to back that up and when you next post, make it about the subject coin, instead of all the other stuff. I’ll be shocked if you’re willing and able to do that. So as not to be hypocritical, I’m issuing the same challenge to myself. In effect, that means this will be my last post to this thread.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Found a live one, folks. Let the bidding wars begin. This one is a '21 so it'll be interesting to see what it actually goes for.

Great Collections: 1921 Peace Silver Dollar High Relief PCGS MS-63 CAC OGH (2nd Gen) (Toned)

Pass due to the very weak strike and ugly toning.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2021 7:21AM

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Well, in the same vein what insult and what counter argument then?

BS. Hypocrisy. Tall tales. Warped explanations. Sorry, I didn't recognize those as compliments.

And I never once leveled an insult at you. I've simply repeatedly pointed out that Heritage and Stacks fill a valuable role that is worth the cost or they would have creased to exist. I'm not sure why you consider that either controversial or personal.

You may have the last word. I'm also done with this thread.

• Options
    edited October 17, 2021 8:06AM

@PerryHall said:

Unfortunately, from my little personal experience, the peace does not tone well at all unlike some of the other coinage.

My friend owns a few grocery/convenience stores and last year during the initial few phase of the lockdown an Asian family had come in and paid their 36$ tab mostly with coins for the purchases made.

One of the coins happened to be a really toned 1923 peace dollar in the raw that was almost completely black so to speak and he had known about my hobby, hence saved it for me.

The attached pictures are for illustrative purpose only - the whole coin was a darker color of the gunk patch seen on the spikes of the crown.

Truth be told, it did look a tad repulsive while holding it in my hand and so got rid of it. Should have probably got it slabbed instead. :|

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@AMRC said:

@ACop said:

@AMRC said:
    One again. The little green sticker means.....

Its in the top 2/3's of the grade
    It has original surfaces
    CAC would make a market in it.

Coins have fingerprints because humans use fingers to pick up coins. Sorry if that offends you. You do not have to like them, but why do have to dislike them so much that you feel the need to share your disdain with others? Is there a coin-collecting rule out there that says a coin cannot have fingerprints? Let me guess, you like your blast white?

Guess again Miss Cleo

Consider me schooled.

I have a neon green 18th century silver dollar as my avatar coin. The clues were there.

I was being sarcastic. My question was to the OP. Have you seen all the color in my inventory? Fingerprints and all.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

@AMRC said:

@ACop said:

@AMRC said:

@ACop said:

@AMRC said:
    One again. The little green sticker means.....

Its in the top 2/3's of the grade
    It has original surfaces
    CAC would make a market in it.

Coins have fingerprints because humans use fingers to pick up coins. Sorry if that offends you. You do not have to like them, but why do have to dislike them so much that you feel the need to share your disdain with others? Is there a coin-collecting rule out there that says a coin cannot have fingerprints? Let me guess, you like your blast white?

Guess again Miss Cleo

Consider me schooled.

I have a neon green 18th century silver dollar as my avatar coin. The clues were there.

I was being sarcastic. My question was to the OP. Have you seen all the color in my inventory? Fingerprints and all.

I was and am, and always will be, the OP

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:

@PerryHall said:

Unfortunately, from my little personal experience, the peace does not tone well at all unlike some of the other coinage.

My friend owns a few grocery/convenience stores and last year during the initial few phase of the lockdown an Asian family had come in and paid their 36$ tab mostly with coins for the purchases made.

Why is the ethnicity of the family relevant?

• Options
    edited October 19, 2021 4:01PM

@skier07 said:

@vulcanize said:

@PerryHall said:

A screenplay for the movie would require it

• Options

@skier07 said:

@vulcanize said:

@PerryHall said:

LOL.

I put the facts in there because there are many folks who get such coins in their hands and put them away inside a coffee jar or something which could possibly be a catalyst in getting toned so much (without getting political - sort of like the pre election show where the VP discusses with Mindy Kaling during one of the cooking shows about how their parents used to store spices etc. in old coffee jars https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz7rNOAFkgE ).

Why is all this a very touchy affair?

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭

So there is a CAC sticker on an ugly coin...
    I don't see what the 5-page big deal is...It happens all the time. :D

• Options
    TradesWithChopsTradesWithChops Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Why do you “hope something”?

rebellions are built on hope. But yeah, solid for the grade when it doesnt appear to be - hence missing something. thats all. i really couldnt care less about the coin myself.

I just meant, hope that whoever buys it next doesnt get fleeced because it's CAC'ed, but a loser.

Minor Variety Trade dollar's with chop marks set:
    More Than It's Chopped Up To Be

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file