Home U.S. Coin Forum

3 massive finger prints didnt scare away CAC?

Comments

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2021 11:37AM

@Joey29 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Joey29 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Joey29 said:

@MFeld said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@Rampage said:

@HalfDimeDude said:
    I had a Morgan MS 65 + * NGC toned with a finger print over the entire obv. Breaking the tone due to acids and oils off the fingers. I took it in a trade as I knew that the +/* and the tone some bid idiot would had to have. The coins sold in less than a week and I made $100 + cost .

Curious to know why you would think someone is an idiot for bidding on a coin they probably will like.

It never seems to fail throw a little color on a coin, and the bid idiots go nuts! Over paying for tarnish, and finger prints and willing to pay a premium on an common date Morgan ?
    Fool ,idiot,or what ever other adjective one cares to use to describe bad decisions.
    It has nothing to do with like or dislike .... its about making good choices!

Buying a coin that isnt a key or semi key, and dropping moon money on a coin that there somewhere in the neighborhood of another 12 million out there to choose from..... is just plain stupidity in my book. You may see it different but where I come from we put quality over quanity every day
    And i will ad this....It doent help the hobby! As sooner or later that person will want to sell the coin, only to find out that they are the only 1 in a million that will over pay for said coin.
    Now hung with a bad choice to begin with they loose interest and leave the hobby.
    Thats why I personally try my best to discourage such, and lean towards education to keep that person interest on track.
    Coin collecting is a tad bit more involved than placing little round disc in a folder.....its History, math ,science, research, and more. If your not willing to learn then you definitely picked the wrong hobby.

If only one in a million would pay for said coin, it likely wouldn't have brought what it did in the first place. And maybe, just maybe, those with different opinions and preferences from you aren't necessarily fools, idiots or what ever other adjective one cares to use. Some of them might have even researched and learned, before making their purchases.

I don’t see the common sense in paying huge money for readily available dates in very high condition. Case in point the 1943 walker at over $100,000. The coin can be bought for $2750 in 67-+ but jumps to $32,000 in 68 and $100,000 in 68+. Very tiny differences. And the plus grading is ambiguous and difficult to be consistent with. In my mind the only thing that can justify a very high price in a coin like this is amazing toning combined with a super high grade of 67 or better. Still not near a hundred thousand.!. still respect others who wish to pay these prices and would never call them idiots or foolish.

My crystal ball is broken. You can not understand, but if the 68+ sells next for $150k and the 67+ goes to$3000 in the same time frame...

But how do you justify $2750 to $32,000 for a simple + grade which is simply only a high end 67 and even more difficult to determine than a straight 67 to 68? And this is only a white coin essentially, not a beautiful toned piece which could be called a Picasso of coins like a painting. And 67+ is not a population of 1or 2.

It's the Market.

I don't have to justify it. I can choose to play or not. Clearly MULTIPLE people were willing to pay the difference. It would be better and more profitable for you to accept that fact rather than argue with it.

This is a extremely tiny market. The question is would you invest your money in these coins if Igave you $500,000 to invest in any coins you see potential in. I am just stating a personal opinion about these kind of coins, which I am entitled to. Not insulting these people who choose to buy these coins, as they can spend their own money as they please.

Coins can be investments but they shouldn't be investments first. Most tone heads know it is a thin and often one way market save for real monsters or coins validated buy TPGs, once slabbed the look can be subjective but some feel it makes it automatically accepted glossing over how many AT coins are in holders. Any peace dollar with any color in any TPG gets the few collectors in a tizzy due to the overall market's rejection which has constricted supply to the believers. Give them one with a holder and a sticker and it emboldens the faithful in a false sense of security even if it does protect the liquidity of the asset mostly depending on what level it is traded.

• MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2021 11:41AM

@vulcanize said:

@MasonG said:
    "Gouging" = "Somebody who has the nerve to charge what they think the service they provide is worth, when I don't want to pay that much".

Were you deliberately trying to avoid the word "Swindle" :p

"Swindle" = "Somebody who has the nerve to charge what they think the service they provide is worth, when I don't want to pay that much".

So... no. Shall I do "self-entitled"?

• vulcanizevulcanize Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@vulcanize said:

@MasonG said:
    "Gouging" = "Somebody who has the nerve to charge what they think the service they provide is worth, when I don't want to pay that much".

"Swindle" = "Somebody who has the nerve to charge what they think the service they provide is worth, when I don't want to pay that much".

So... no. Shall I do "self-entitled"?

Nope. condescending and patronizing suits you better. Keep brown nosing :D

@vulcanize said:
    Nope.

Didn't think so.

@vulcanize said:
    condescending and patronizing suits you better.

Repetitive and redundant is no way to go through life, son.

@MasonG said:

@vulcanize said:
    Nope.

Didn't think so.

@vulcanize said:
    condescending and patronizing suits you better.

Repetitive and redundant is no way to go through life, son.

You still chasing your own tail here.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    It's not "greed" to supply a service and expect to get paid for that service. There's a reason that dealers, who have their own shops and internet sites, choose to consign certain items to Stack's or Heritage.

We have been through this before with scenarios A, B, C, D etc.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13059717/#Comment_13059717

@jmlanzaf said:
    I didn't spin anything. I just pointed out, maybe orthogonally, that one should never focus on fees but net proceeds. That's not "spin", it's just a statement.

So who get's to feel the pain?

@Cuprinkor who got paid 9000$ for a coin that sold for 12,000$ or the buyer who bought a 9000$ coin for 12,000$ or both of them?

Sinve you love to work with numbers, shall let you have fun with the percentages :D

And if that coin would only have realized $6000 in a different venue?

@vulcanize said:

@MasonG said:

You are simply avoiding the idea that my coin sells for MORE money at Heritage even after the percentage is paid.

I can't get one quarter the money for tokens that Stacks routinely gets. It would be worth a 50% auction fee.

Is your assumption that all dealers are morons who can't do math? They routinely place material at HA and Stacks because even after paying 15 or 20%, they realize MORE than if they sold it themselves.

There's a reason HA and Stacks continue to exist. It is NOT because you are smarter than the rest of us.

@jmlanzaf said:

That is a a supposition unlike the actual reality which transpired. So that argument does not hold water.

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@MasonG said:

You are simply avoiding the idea that my coin sells for MORE money at Heritage even after the percentage is paid.

I can't get one quarter the money for tokens that Stacks routinely gets. It would be worth a 50% auction fee.

Is your assumption that all dealers are morons who can't do math? They routinely place material at HA and Stacks because even after paying 15 or 20%, they realize MORE than if they sold it themselves.

There's a reason HA and Stacks continue to exist. It is NOT because you are smarter than the rest of us.

DUH!!!!
    Then why is the seller Cuprinkor not getting the full 10,000 for his coin? Your hypothesis holds good for the ultra rare coins in the six figure range where the seller premium is negotiable and definitely not for the average collector.

• bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2021 1:28PM

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@MasonG said:

DUH!!!!
    Then why is the seller Cuprinkor not getting the full 10,000 for his coin? Your hypothesis holds good for the ultra rare coins in the six figure range where the seller premium is negotiable and definitely not for the average collector.

Because he didn’t read the fine print and or negotiate a better sellers premium. Not putting him down. Just saying. On a $1000 coin GC doesn’t charge a sellers fee that I am aware of. So he could have sold the coin on GC. He either thought (maybe even did) that the selling price would be higher at Heritage or thought the sellers fee was less. Either way we won’t know if he had sold a GC for 0 sellers fee if he would have net more because the auction already occurred.
    But complaining about the fees that are disclosed up front and likely signed and agreed to makes no sense. Sale price sure. Fees were avoidable.

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@MasonG said:

DUH!!!!

Why is $10k the right price? That coin might only hammer for $10k at a major auction house. Getting $6000 with no premium is not better than $12000 with a 30% premium.

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

That is a a supposition unlike the actual reality which transpired. So that argument does not hold water.

That is the entire issue. What evidence do you have that the coin would get $10k on ebay? None. So your argument holds no more water.

@bigjpst said:
    Because he didn’t read the fine print and or negotiate a better sellers premium. Not putting him down. Just saying. On a $1000 coin GC doesn’t charge a sellers fee that I am aware of. So he could have sold the coin on GC. He either thought (maybe even did) that the selling price would be higher at Heritage or thought the sellers fee was less. Either way we won’t know if he had sold a GC for 0 sellers fee if he would have net more because the auction already occurred.
    But complaining about the fees that are disclosed up front and likely signed and agreed to makes no sense. Sale price sure. Fees were avoidable.

Perhaps..... because the possibilities are endless.
    It is just the aggrandizement of certain aspects that made the market leaders of yore go the way of the dinosaus - key examples being catalog emperor Sears, Photography empire Kodak etc. and as such this too is headed the same way,
    Mounting personal attacks are not going to change that fact. ;)
    "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win”

@jmlanzaf said:
    Why is $10k the right price? That coin might only hammer for $10k at a major auction house. Getting $6000 with no premium is not better than $12000 with a 30% premium.

You are starting to go around in circles. We have gone past that time and again.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13069696#Comment_13069696

@jmlanzaf said:
    That is the entire issue. What evidence do you have that the coin would get $10k on ebay? None. So your argument holds no more water.

So you mean to say the PCGS Price Guide Value and NGC Price Guide Value etc. are just magically concocted numbers by some clueless folks and has no bearing whatsoever in the market and supposed value estimates that buyers and sellers look to compare..

C'mon, I thought you could argue better than that.

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@vulcanize said:

@MasonG said:

DUH!!!!

I've never sold a 6 figure coin. I've always gotten 0% on any coin over $2500. I'm not a big wig. I've only consigned 4 or 5 coins to HA in the last 5 years.

edited October 15, 2021 2:16PM

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

You are starting to go around in circles. We have gone past that time and again.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13069696#Comment_13069696

@jmlanzaf said:

So you mean to say the PCGS Price Guide Value and NGC Price Guide Value etc. are just magically concocted numbers by some clueless folks and has no bearing whatsoever in the market and supposed value estimates that buyers and sellers look to compare..

C'mon, I thought you could argue better than that.

I'm saying that the PCGS value guide is made up of coins at HA and Stacks and not eBay sales. Did the OP claim $10k guide? He claimed $10k hammer.

Again, there's a reason that the smart money continues to consign certain things to HA and Stacks rather than cheaper venues.

Coming back to the core issue without the whole rigmarole, quibbling over semantics does not take away the fact that 30% is highway robbery.

QED

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

And yet another thread gets sucked into the vortex of no return........................... :|

@jmlanzaf said:
    I've never sold a 6 figure coin. I've always gotten 0% on any coin over $2500. I'm not a big wig. I've only consigned 4 or 5 coins to HA in the last 5 years.

@jmlanzaf said:
    Again, there's a reason that the smart money continues to consign certain things to HA and Stacks rather than cheaper venues.

So by your own admission you are not smart money. :p

Jokes aside, am keeping a close eye on the following eBay kisting

878 7/8 TF Weak Morgan D.L. Hansen Collection PCGS MS65+
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/165119261688?hash=item2671dffbf8:g:OIgAAOSwnixhAKrG

And of course, there are many on there that buy the coins and try to flip them for profit.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=hansen+coin&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=16

;)

Again, I do not wish to derail this thread topic of 3 massive finger prints on a CAC stickered Peace dollar, so cutting short here.

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:

@AMRC said:
    One again. The little green sticker means.....

Its in the top 2/3's of the grade
    It has original surfaces
    CAC would make a market in it.

Coins have fingerprints because humans use fingers to pick up coins. Sorry if that offends you. You do not have to like them, but why do have to dislike them so much that you feel the need to share your disdain with others? Is there a coin-collecting rule out there that says a coin cannot have fingerprints? Let me guess, you like your blast white?

Guess again Miss Cleo

Consider me schooled.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttt

@bigjpst said:
    But complaining about the fees that are disclosed up front and likely signed and agreed to makes no sense.

Some people are just like that. Nothing you can do for them, they'll always find a way for everything to be someone else's fault.

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not commenting specifically on this particular silver dollar but sometimes a nice coin is not photogenic at all and look ugly but looks nicer in person under our eyeballs.

Could this be the case with this specific silver dollar?

I have noticed that Legend and even Heritage (for example) photos makes their coins for sale or for auction sometimes seem inferior to that of in person inspection.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or the other way around! :|

@oreville said:
    Not commenting specifically on this particular silver dollar but sometimes a nice coin is not photogenic at all and look ugly but looks nicer in person under our eyeballs.

Could this be the case with this specific silver dollar?

I have noticed that Legend and even Heritage (for example) photos makes their coins for sale or for auction sometimes seem inferior to that of in person inspection.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whats going on here

• orevilleoreville Posts: 11,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes it could be the other way around too but I try not to get excited about a coin because it looks nice in a photo but there are tell tale signs of misleading photos such as lighting being too bright.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vulcanize

Rule #3 on this forum: never argue with @jmlanzaf

Smitten with DBLCs.

• ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AMRC said:

@ACop said:

@AMRC said:
    One again. The little green sticker means.....

Its in the top 2/3's of the grade
    It has original surfaces
    CAC would make a market in it.

Coins have fingerprints because humans use fingers to pick up coins. Sorry if that offends you. You do not have to like them, but why do have to dislike them so much that you feel the need to share your disdain with others? Is there a coin-collecting rule out there that says a coin cannot have fingerprints? Let me guess, you like your blast white?

Guess again Miss Cleo

Consider me schooled.

I have a neon green 18th century silver dollar as my avatar coin. The clues were there.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:
    I had a Morgan MS 65 + * NGC toned with a finger print over the entire obv. Breaking the tone due to acids and oils off the fingers. I took it in a trade as I knew that the +/* and the tone some bid idiot would had to have. The coins sold in less than a week and I made $100 + cost .

So you buy coins specifically to make money from 'idiots'? Wow.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:

Fool ,idiot,or what ever other adjective one cares to use to describe bad decisions.

Shouldn't the seller make good choices as well then for what to sell? I probably never buy a coin from you if your attitude is that a buyer is a 'fool', 'idiot', or what ever other adjective.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
    edited October 16, 2021 5:16AM

@Aotearoa said:
    @vulcanize

Why isn't that rule #1? 😕

What are rules #1 and #2?

I'm rather surprised I'm the only one who is willing to express the sentiment that Heritage and Stacks and Legends and the rest play a legitimate role. It's kind of interesting given the negative attitudes expressed about ebay regularly that the thesis that ebay is superior to Heritage only has me pushing back.

Apparently Rule #1 on the forum is to never AGREE with jmlanzaf. 😀

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was taught earlier on to make decisions about a coin in hand and not by pictures. Use the pictures but if you cant see 1st hand get someone you trust to view it. This has served me well. It seems that many people on this thread have thrown this rule out and made up their mind about a coin that they never saw in hand.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ACop said:
    Whats going on here

In 1974 I was introduced to the "theoretical point at which no molecule would move" that being absolute zero 459 F or 273 C
    Today I realized Kelvin 0 as a better way of speaking of all molecular motion stoppage aka Absolute zero and the achievement of that. Science has closed in on it today announcing coming within 38/trillionths of a kelvin for two (2) seconds.

What's going on here? IMHO; A little known research paper on absolute nothing that surpasses science and absolute zero.

Google the news on Absolute zero and see the fascinating comparison between Kelvin 0 zero and this thread.

@jmlanzaf said:
    I'm rather surprised I'm the only one who is willing to express the sentiment that Heritage and Stacks and Legends and the rest play a legitimate role.

I agree with what you wrote, I just never said so specifically. So you're not the only one.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Aotearoa said:
    @vulcanize

I'm rather surprised I'm the only one who is willing to express the sentiment that Heritage and Stacks and Legends and the rest play a legitimate role. It's kind of interesting given the negative attitudes expressed about ebay regularly that the thesis that ebay is superior to Heritage only has me pushing back.

Put a bucket over your head when you have a thought or speak and hear yourself.

You love to twist words when all I said was that eBay is definitely a cheaper option for the average collector and the not so big players to sell at 10% fees versus the 30% highway robbery that you insist on supporting as a delusional shill :p

@MasonG said:

@bigjpst said:
    But complaining about the fees that are disclosed up front and likely signed and agreed to makes no sense.

Some people are just like that. Nothing you can do for them, they'll always find a way for everything to be someone else's fault.

Would you like some cheese with that whine? :lol:

edited October 16, 2021 12:32PM

@vulcanize said:

1878 7/8 TF Weak Morgan D.L. Hansen Collection PCGS MS65+

Again, I do not wish to derail this thread topic of 3 massive finger prints on a CAC stickered Peace dollar, so cutting short here.

I did not want to post on this thread on the topic again but keep getting dragged into it by MasonG and jmlanzaf

Anyways, with regards to the D L Hansen MS 65+ 1878 7/8 TF Weak Morgan listed on eBay,

Current bid: US $797.00 with [ 13 bids ]

and just to prove my point because there has been more newbies to the hobby on eBay than the other sites - the price right now has gone beyond similar MS 65+ coin sales in the past three years

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/details/1878-7-8tf-7tf-reverse-ms/7070

PCGS # Date Price Grade Svc. Firm Sale Type Lot #
    7070 Apr-2021 $1,100 MS65+ PCGS eBay eBay Sales 04/18/2021 ~ 04/24/2021 Best Offer 194054898655
    7070 Jan-2021 $1,146 MS65+ PCGS eBay eBay Sales 01/24/2021 ~ 01/30/2021 Best Offer 183795180669

7070 Apr-2019 $600 MS65+ PCGS Heritage Auctions Internet U.S. Coin Auction #131915 Auction 23499
    7070 Jan-2019 $780 MS65+ PCGS Heritage Auctions 2019 January 9-14 FUN U.S. Coins Signature Auction Orlando, FL Auction 8342

The old boys sorority can lounge and dream of the past just like folks at Xerox, Kodak and Sears did. B)

Edited to add link

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Aotearoa said:
    @vulcanize

Rule #1 is never argue with @jmlanzaf. Rule #2 is never argue with @MFeld.
    (Stated in good fun! Your positions are generally well-supported and, therefore, difficult to assail...)

Smitten with DBLCs.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2021 11:05AM

@vulcanize said:

1878 7/8 TF Weak Morgan D.L. Hansen Collection PCGS MS65+

I did not want to post on this thread on the topic again but keep getting dragged into it by MasonG and jmlanzaf

Anyways, with regards to the D L Hansen MS 65+ 1878 7/8 TF Weak Morgan listed on eBay,

Current bid: US $797.00 with [ 13 bids ]

and just to prove my point because there has been more newbies to the hobby on eBay than the other sites - the price right now has gone beyond similar MS 65+ coin sales in the past three years

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/details/1878-7-8tf-7tf-reverse-ms/7070

PCGS # Date Price Grade Svc. Firm Sale Type Lot #
    7070 Apr-2019 $600 MS65+ PCGS Heritage Auctions Internet U.S. Coin Auction #131915 Auction 23499
    7070 Jan-2019 $780 MS65+ PCGS Heritage Auctions 2019 January 9-14 FUN U.S. Coins Signature Auction Orlando, FL Auction 8342

The old boys sorority can lounge and dream of the past just like folks at Xerox, Kodak and Sears did. B)

Edited to add link

Since I’m a biased party, I’m not going to enter the debate regarding commissions and the net amount received by consignors. However, I don’t see how the current eBay listing proves your point about prices. The link to the sale of other MS65+ examples doesn’t include any since April, 2019. And you probably know that overall, including Morgan Dollars, the market is considerably stronger now than it was back then. So comparing a current price to one or more from at least two years ago isn’t very solid “proof” of the type you’re claiming.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited October 16, 2021 11:33AM

@MFeld said:
    Since I’m a biased party, I’m not going to enter the debate regarding commissions and the net amount received by consignors. However, I don’t see how the current eBay listing proves your point about prices. The link to the sale of other MS65+ examples doesn’t include any since April, 2019. And you probably know that overall, including Morgan Dollars, the market is considerably stronger now than it was back then. So comparing a current price to one or more from at least two years ago isn’t very solid “proof” of the type you’re claiming.

The idea of putting up that example is because it is an MS65+ from a very well known collection to drive home the point that it has racked up enough interest amongst the newer entrants into the hobby and thus push it beyond whatever price data is available since past three years with no spin on it and was inspired by the reply post quoted below.

@jmlanzaf said:
    I'm saying that the PCGS value guide is made up of coins at HA and Stacks and not eBay sales.

And a 10% fee is all there is to it. Simple and straight forward as that. :)

Edited to add quote.

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

The idea of putting up that example is because it is an MS65+ from a very well known collection to drive home the point that it has racked up enough interest amongst the newer entrants into the hobby and thus push it beyond whatever price data is available since past three years with no spin on it.
    And a 10% fee is all there is to it. Simple and straight forward as that. :)

Thank you. It sounds as if I misunderstood the point you were trying to prove. I thought you were offering the listing to prove that coins can bring strong prices on eBay. And of course, many do, while many others don’t.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

edited October 16, 2021 11:56AM

@MFeld said:

Thank you. It sounds as if I misunderstood the point you were trying to prove. I thought you were offering the listing to prove that coins can bring strong prices on eBay. And of course, many do, while many others don’t.

Thank you. I am merely trying to explain things as viewed from a "possible" 16 year old young numismatist's perspective because the next generation is the future of the hobby.
    The reason I say "possible" is because right now he is more interested in making money off of it than collecting because he loves to turn around a purchase to flip and make a tidy profit
    He and I get into similar discussions and can very well see the angle approached from. Just wanted to share it with the old guard that being rigid and deeply entrenched in the past is not going to help nor save the situation and will end up just like what happened to philately.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardlehmann/2020/02/19/price-discovery-in-stamps/

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/2017/july/embrace-change-move-stamp-collecting-forward.html

Edited to add Forbes article and a dealer's write up links to draw paralles. The much needed shift in approach to thinking outside the box is required NOW. Incidentally my son would NOT touch with a barge pole the CAC stickered peace coin which is the main theme of the thread. ;)

• HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2021 2:43PM

@spacehayduke said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

Shouldn't the seller make good choices as well then for what to sell? I probably never buy a coin from you if your attitude is that a buyer is a 'fool', 'idiot', or what ever other adjective.

First of all I didn't purchase the specimen, it was taken in a trade as the original owner did not have the cash to complete a deal. It was an great choice to take it as l did state it sold quickly and a profits were made.
    I see so many here who want their opinions or post respected ....however they do not extend the same courtesy or respect to other members opinions.You know they have streets call " one way" and thats exactly what I see here....as long as its " your opion" then all should bow down, and not make waves.....! Agree,and respect your post.
    Well whether you like it or not, whether you like me , or not doesn't mean squat to me.....but like it or not as long as the rules, and regulations of this forum aren't broken . Then my opions as well as any other other members options ....should recieve with the same amount of respect regardless!
    As it be very easy to troll your post and dump as much garbage as you done here!
    But thats what trolls do......and that my friend is MY OPINION!

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

@HalfDimeDude said:

@spacehayduke said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

First of all I didn't purchase the specimen, it was taken in a trade as the original owner did not have the cash to complete a deal. It was an great choice to take it as l did state it sold quickly and a profits were made.
    I see so many here who want their opions or post respected ....however they do not extend the same courtesy or respect to other members options.You know they have streets call " one way" and thats exactly what I see here....as long as its " your opion" then all should bow down, and not make waves.....! Agree,and respect your post.
    Well whether you like it or not, whether you like me , or not doesn't mean squat to me.....but like it or not as long as the rules, and regulations of this forum aren't broken . Then my opions as well as any other other members opion ....should recieve with the same amount of respect regardless!
    As it be very easy to troll your post and dump as much garbage as you done here!
    But thats what trolls do......and that my friend is MY OPION!

Your opinions (not “opions”) aren’t automatically entitled to respect from others. Neither are mine. And I wouldn’t expect them to be when you refer to others as “fools”, “idiots”, etc.

@vulcanize said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Aotearoa said:
    @vulcanize

Put a bucket over your head when you have a thought or speak and hear yourself.

You love to twist words when all I said was that eBay is definitely a cheaper option for the average collector and the not so big players to sell at 10% fees versus the 30% highway robbery that you insist on supporting as a delusional shill :p

It's not the fee, it's the net price realized.

I think I'm just keep repeating that in hopes that it sinks I n.

@vulcanize said:

@MFeld said:

Thank you. I am merely trying to explain things as viewed from a "possible" 16 year old young numismatist's perspective because the next generation is the future of the hobby.
    The reason I say "possible" is because right now he is more interested in making money off of it than collecting because he loves to turn around a purchase to flip and make a tidy profit
    He and I get into similar discussions and can very well see the angle approached from. Just wanted to share it with the old guard that being rigid and deeply entrenched in the past is not going to help nor save the situation and will end up just like what happened to philately.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/richardlehmann/2020/02/19/price-discovery-in-stamps/

https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamps-postal-history/2017/july/embrace-change-move-stamp-collecting-forward.html

Edited to add Forbes article and a dealer's write up links to draw paralles. The much needed shift in approach to thinking outside the box is required NOW. Incidentally my son would NOT touch with a barge pole the CAC stickered peace coin which is the main theme of the thread. ;)

No one is a greater fan of ebay than I. I've done more than 75,000 transactions valued at over $2 million. But there are coins I would immediately send to Heritage and not even think about putting on ebay. If you think you are saving 20% on those coins, I can safely say you are actually losing 20% or more. But you simply refuse to understand that.

It has nothing to do with old guard, Sears nonsense that you keep spewing.

When the value added is more than the cost, only a fool refuses to pay it.

@jmlanzaf said:
    When the value added is more than the cost, only a fool refuses to pay it.

You can lead a fool to an idea but you can't make him think.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

No comment.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2021 3:02PM

The OP 63 Peace Dollar is a common, environment damaged, ugly coin. I don’t care what CAC thinks about it or anybody else. Throw it back in the bargain box lol.

The Seated $ is an ugly coin possibly deserves a details grade. The sticker on it means nothing to me. Send it in for conservation? I question if they would even offer 40% TPG MV if it was shopped around the bourse.

Coins & Currency

@Cougar1978 said:
    The OP 63 Peace Dollar is a common, environment damaged, ugly coin. I don’t care what CAC thinks about it or anybody else. Throw it back in the bargain box lol.

The Seated $ is an ugly coin possibly deserves a details grade. The sticker on it means nothing to me. Send it in for conservation? I question if they would even offer 40% TPG MV if it was shopped around the bourse.

I believe you when you say that the sticker means nothing to you. And based on what you said you’d question, it appears that you don’t understand the CAC market very well. Perhaps if you did, the sticker would mean something to you.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file