Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Current Turnaround Time

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2021 6:42PM

@privatecoin said:
    :*

Well, "average" must mean some other people must be getting their submissions back pretty fast.

EDIT: I want to see the actual data.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

July 20-Dec 20 = 5 months. Done grading now: in encapsulation and being imaged :)

• Options
    lusterloverlusterlover Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭

I've sat on my hands long enough and need to vent. I am a kool-aid drinker and understand that covid is an issue but.....

• I'm on calendar day 93/business day 59 of a Regular submission. I finally moved to encapsulation last Monday and have been there for 8 days. If I get lucky and move to QC, I'm weary that I could be there for a while (30-60 days) as posted earlier in this thread. This is brutal. I'm disappointed that no one in management has publicly addressed this. Being transparent and honest instead of hiding behind the 30 day estimated turnaround time post would be much more well received.
    • MS70, love the counting! Reminds me of the scene/scenes from Zero Dark Thirty where Maya was counting the days of inactivity.
    • As pointed out, our host was taken private. These buyouts are looking to justify the premium purchase price, meaning more sales and less costs. I don't see this problem resolving itself anytime soon. I also hope they don't go the way of PSA where they are only accepting express orders or higher.
    • As the market leader/800 pound gorilla, our hosts can keep doing this and get away with it. Not much we can do but sit back and wait. In the good old days, I would get an apology and a credit for the material time delay. Seems those days are long gone.....
  • Options
    edgaredgar Posts: 886 ✭✭✭✭

"The turnaround times stated above are the previous week’s average for each service level indicated. These times are estimated, as turnaround times always vary. Certain tokens and medals may require additional research, and turnaround times can fluctuate based on the amount of research required. Additional services such as Oversized Holders, GSA Holders, and Variety Attribution could add an additional 5-10 business days to any Service Level turnaround time. Times listed are in business days. Turnaround times may fluctuate based on many factors. PCGS counts business days starting the day after the order is entered into the PCGS system and does not include the time it takes to open incoming packages to PCGS or to ship orders once they are completed.

• While we believe that units graded can be one of a number of useful measures of our performance, increases or decreases in the number of units graded may not correlate proportionately to increases or decreases in revenues. Revenues also are affected by the mix of units processed, the mix of services (in terms of 'turn-around times') and average service fees per unit, between coins and sports cards."

So "the previous week's average for each service level indicated" have remained the same week after week for several months? In a conversation at Baltimore, I understood that there are nearly 1 million sports card waiting in that queue. Does sports card grading volume impact coin grading turnaround times?

(l8-)>>

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Modern value received Nov 23 and shipped today. 19 business days if my math is correct.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have had 8 of 17 grade since October 28

Ken
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

@J2035 said:
    Modern value received Nov 23 and shipped today. 19 business days if my math is correct.

I have a modern value received 9/21 still grading....

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Received my bulk submission back. I have an express across the street. Supposed to be an 8 day turnaround. Been there that long and still not in system. My fault. I didn't write "express" on package.

So many nuances in the game of submission.

• Options
    oldrattleroldrattler Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited December 21, 2021 4:17PM

42 B-days for my Regular submission. Its in QA now. 30 Days average give or take is + or - 2or3 where I grew up. I wish i could post about something else but this has my old Rattling bones consumed.

• Options

Requested an update on my order. All they can say is:
    Your order is being processed to move from grading into encapsulation. It has been in grading phase since September 21st. Ok... In other words it is still sitting at a stand still with zero progress in over 3 months and guaranteed to not be complete before the end of the quarter.

I definitely will not renew next month. Definitely not worth this long of a wait.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options

• Options
    FixedFrameNateFixedFrameNate Posts: 18
    edited December 21, 2021 6:04PM

I’ve been routinely sending my collection in for grading in batches all year. I’ve been sending a batch in each week.

I was getting them back within the estimated timeframe until my late August submissions. I haven’t gotten a single one back that I sent after August 28.

All are economy or modern value.

Something must have happened around the beginning of September.

• Options

@FixedFrameNate said:
    I’ve been routinely sending my collection in for grading in batches all year. I’ve been sending a batch in each week.

I was getting them back within the estimated timeframe until my late August submissions. I haven’t gotten a single one back that I sent after August 28.

My economy submission was marked as received on August 9. Never would I have imagined I wouldn't see those coins until next year.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

My economy submission was marked as received on August 9. Never would I have imagined I wouldn't see those coins until next year.

@ms70 said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

You definitely have it worse than me. Any theories on why things delayed?

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2021 8:46PM

You never know. My coins went from QC to delivered in my mailbox in two hours, bypassing notification that it had been shipped 4 days earlier until it was delivered. It was quite a surprise! So were the absurdly dark Trueviews.

Your coins may show up any day now, including tomorrow without any prior notification.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2021 9:43PM

World Regular - 40BD estimate

1. Raw grading with 2 provenances and 2 variety attributions: Received 10/25 - Shipped 12/15 (35BD)
    2. Crossover with 2 variety attributions: Received 10/25 - in QA

Seems to be moving, at least on the World side.

• Options

And by some miracle my order switched to encapsulation today.... :o

• Options

43 B days Reg.

• Options
  • Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lusterlover said:

@privatecoin said:

Congrats! I'm on day 10 in encapsulation.......

You'll be there for a very long time if yours is anything like mine.

When was yours entered into the system. Mine was 9/27/2021.

• Options

Submitted 8 coins with my voucher. Received by PCGS on Oct. 14. Hoped to have them back for the Baltimore show. Yesterday they were marked "being imaged". Today they are in "Encapsulation". Any chance I'll get them back for the FUN show?

No good deed goes unpunished

carolinacollectorcoins.com
  • Options

@Goldbully said:

@lusterlover said:

@privatecoin said:

Congrats! I'm on day 10 in encapsulation.......

You'll be there for a very long time if yours is anything like mine.

When was yours entered into the system. Mine was 9/27/2021.

Mine was 9/21/21

• Options

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2021 3:19PM

I still cannot understand why our host doesn't change the typical turnaround times to reflect current times on the Services page.

• Options

@Goldbully said:
    I still cannot understand why our host doesn't change the typical turnaround times to reflect current times on the Services page.

That’s my beef too. I don’t care that it takes this long. The problem is the expectations aren’t being set properly.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FixedFrameNate said:

@Goldbully said:

That’s my beef too. I don’t care that it takes this long. The problem is the expectations aren’t being set properly.

What if the turnaround times were so lengthy that it negatively impacts Collector Club sign-up? money lost for the new head of PCGS. Collectors Universe board and shareholders would not be happy due to revenue impact.

@FixedFrameNate
    Reason for delay? my theory is the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars coupled with a very hot market.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited December 23, 2021 6:14AM

Received 11 coin order back this week. No gold box or medal. I guess supplies didn't last.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

The delays are making me think twice about submitting...if I have a coin in an older PCGS holder that I think is under-graded I am now NOT going to submit for reconsideration and wait a month...then waste more time and money sending back to CAC...especially if they are coins I'm prepping for sale...I'll just auction as is and let the market decide if it's an VF35 or an XF40 LOL

• Options

@sedulous said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

@Goldbully said:

What if the turnaround times were so lengthy that it negatively impacts Collector Club sign-up? money lost for the new head of PCGS. Collectors Universe board and shareholders would not be happy due to revenue impact.

@FixedFrameNate
    Reason for delay? my theory is the 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars coupled with a very hot market.

What's the difference if it causes people not to renew?

• Options

@J2035 said:
    Received 11 coin order back this week. No gold box or medal. I guess supplies didn't last.

Yep. I expect the same.

• Options
    jshaulisjshaulis Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@J2035 said:

I have two orders with them, both modern value. First one recieved Nov 22, 2nd Nov 23rd. Both are still in grading. Hopefully I get some movement shortly.

Successful transactions with forum members commoncents05, dmarks, Coinscratch, Bullsitter, DCW, TwoSides2aCoin, Namvet69 (facilitated for 3rd party), Tetromibi, ProfLizMay, MASSU2, MWallace, Bruce7789, Twobitcollector, 78saen, U1chicago

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@J2035 said:

Did they receive them in the fourth quarter?

I sent an order in a couple weeks ago (regular) and it took less than a week to delivery by post office to 'grading'
    I was thinking of sending in 10 coins for medal, by might just wait ....

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

My July order has shipped!

Final turnaround time of 157 calendar days or 109 working business days (holidays and weekends excluded).
    My other 2 old orders are now in QA. Looks like I will get these this year, as this last QA was very quick.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, as I think things are finally moving better again :)

• Options

@davewesen said:

Did they receive them in the fourth quarter?

Yes - Nov 23.

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

49 business days for Regular. The lack of any attempt at addressing the issue has driven me to become a member across the street and my next PCGS batch is now headed their way instead. :neutral: We'll see how it goes.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

44 B days Reg

• Options

Was entered into the system 10/21. Been in QA a long time now.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

@Goldbully said:

@FixedFrameNate

I get not wanting to drive down memberships, but I think you can still adjust the wait times, especially if you just adjust the wait times in the cheapest tier submissions.

People submitting in Economy or Modern Value are already opting for slower service in exchange for the lowest price. I don’t think saying it’s going to take an extra 8 weeks changes the calculus.

You can still preserve the turnaround time for the higher tiers so people paying for faster service aren’t impacted.

One of my favorite sayings is “Frustration is the gap between expectations and reality.”

PCGS has a real opportunity to control the expectations side of that equation by adjusting the expectations for turnaround.

• Options

• Options
    edited December 24, 2021 1:20PM

@FixedFrameNate said:

@sedulous said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

@Goldbully said:

@FixedFrameNate

I get not wanting to drive down memberships, but I think you can still adjust the wait times, especially if you just adjust the wait times in the cheapest tier submissions.

People submitting in Economy or Modern Value are already opting for slower service in exchange for the lowest price. I don’t think saying it’s going to take an extra 8 weeks changes the calculus.

You can still preserve the turnaround time for the higher tiers so people paying for faster service aren’t impacted.

One of my favorite sayings is “Frustration is the gap between expectations and reality.”

PCGS has a real opportunity to control the expectations side of that equation by adjusting the expectations for turnaround.

Honesty is the best policy. They should try that and see what happens.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

@sedulous said:

@FixedFrameNate said:

@Goldbully said:

@FixedFrameNate

Honesty is the best policy. They should try that and see what happens.

As I alluded earlier, PSA does a Customer Update letter almost monthly (7 times so far this year) where they address many things including backlog. They are under the same umbrella as PCGS; why aren't we getting the same courtesy here...??

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ridiculous the amount of time its taking

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 27, 2021 4:27AM

I guess I’ve been pretty fortunate in my last few moderns as they’ve never taken much more than a month. My latest order hit a month Yesterday and it’s still in grading. I’m not to worried about it, yet. And honestly what are you gonna do? It’s not like you can take your order to Walmart.

I would however caution our host not to get too big for their britches or maybe that’s what their trying to do.

For the simple hobbyist (myself) and the future hobbyist we like to see the results come back before committing to the next order. It’s a must part of the learning process and well, I was averaging 3 to 4 orders per year before the current delays.
    If what I’m reading here remains true then I will be lucky to get 2 orders per year, And with the likely results of such orders coupled with the wait times they will no doubt see a huge decline of new interests.
    I run a service oriented business and my success depends on the reliability of my service. If my turnaround times triple I would be bleeding customers quicker than I could gain them. Obviously I would hire more techs as the demand increased otherwise I would start to peddle backwards.

Edit: I should replace some bitchin with patience here and not be so critical. I mean think about it for a second, how difficult it must be to hire and retain new talent in a highly specialized field such as this. Especially in todays younger generation who will require a 6 figure starting salary and need to take 15 minute safe space breaks every hour. You could hire some old coin cowboys to help train the new guys but not to grade because their getting too old, cranky, and the eyes are starting to go.
    It would keep me up at night, still the first thing I would do is follow Oracle. Maybe not downtown where the illegals are filling the place up faster than the offering plate on Judgement day. But maybe in the rolling hills north in Burnett County where you could invest in winery's and enjoy life a bit :) Lower taxes and level heads

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    I guess I’ve been pretty fortunate in my last few moderns as they’ve never taken much more than a month. My latest order hit a month Yesterday and it’s still in grading. I’m not to worried about it, yet. And honestly what are you gonna do? It’s not like you can take your order to Walmart.

I would however caution our host not to get too big for their britches or maybe that’s what their trying to do.

For the simple hobbyist (myself) and the future hobbyist we like to see the results come back before committing to the next order. It’s a must part of the learning process and well, I was averaging 3 to 4 orders per year before the current delays.
    If what I’m reading here remains true then I will be lucky to get 2 orders per year, And with the likely results of such orders coupled with the wait times they will no doubt see a huge decline of new interests.
    I run a service oriented business and my success depends on the reliability of my service. If my turnaround times triple I would be bleeding customers quicker than I could gain them. Obviously I would hire more techs as the demand increased otherwise I would start to peddle backwards.

I realize in the scope of things that my business vs this one is like apples and oranges and with lots of variables but the one constant amongst us all is,
    The bigger you are the harder you fall.

Same here. Don't like to submit more until I see my previous results. Helps me decide what to submit next.

• Options

• Options
    MetalMetal Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

I sent 11 coins that were received on Oct 12th. I used up eight vouchers that I hesitated to use all year because I hate waiting and always pay for express.
    Obviously, I'm still waiting. I was in Vegas during the PCGS show but skipped it; I should have asked about my order. :D

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you need to put quarterly special on your submission forms to rec all the free gifts.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    I think you need to put quarterly special on your submission forms to rec all the free gifts.

no, they put all terms and requirements on their quarterly special page

sometimes you do and sometimes you do not

https://pcgs.com/ccspecial

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file