The ancient world

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, the valley of the kings is a mystical place.

Probably the most famous tomb in the valley of the kings is king Tut's. This is the front door to king Tut's tomb as photographed in 1923 when it was first discovered. This rope was put there by the builders of the tomb and it must have been thrilling to untie the rope, the same rope the ancient Egyptians touched thousands of years ago.

It's hard to imagine what Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon must have felt when they finally discovered discovered Tutankhamun's tomb. Howard Carter had spent years looking for Tut's tomb, and had borrowed money from everyone to finance his search, he was on his last legs. Lord Carnarvon was financing this last attempt for Carter to find the tomb, and they were just about to run out of time. This was Howard Carter's dream, his obsession, and he had poured his heart and soul into it. Time was almost up, when they struck paydirt.

edited July 6, 2021 3:24PM

A map of Tut's tomb.

edited July 6, 2021 3:14PM

These are the original photos from Howard Carter's discovery, they were originally in black and white, but have been colorized, the white man with the mustache is Howard Carter.

One of the chambers and it's treasures.

Of course, when Carter came upon the burial chamber with King Tut's sarcophagus, he was taken aback by it.

edited July 6, 2021 3:54PM

When Carter came face to face with the boy kings sarcophagus he trembled. This is the original photo colorized of king Tut's sarcophagus when they first discivered it, and you can see that thousands of years of time had taken it's toll on the sarcophagus.

Howard Carter inspects it after it had been removed from the burial chamber.

edited July 6, 2021 4:16PM

Some of the treasures found in king Tut's tomb are now in museums. This is his golden chariot. This mural was painted in his tomb and it depicts him in his chariot.

His golden sarcophagus.

His golden throan.

edited July 6, 2021 4:11PM

You can see this breathtaking image of king Tut himself on his throan, he is pictured with his queen and he is sitting in his throan.

One of the sarcophagus's found in Tut's tomb.

If you want a good book to read about Howard Carter and his quest to find King Tutankhamun's tomb.

We will continue our journey tomorrow, I've got one more place in ancient Egypt to cover, then we'll leave Egypt behind and move on to another mysterious place in the ancient world. Thank you to everyone following this adventure!

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am most impressed with not only the beauty of the Egyptian artifacts, but the remarkable symmetry as well. Very classy indeed.

Keeping in mind I'm sure the "paint" or whatever they used has faded a least a bit over time. The original artwork brand new colors must have been absolutely breathtaking.

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 12:53AM

Can’t resist…

…there are some fringe historians who have made a fun case for the fact that the Egyptians might possibly have had wireless technology - potentially electricity.

Bear with me.

Nikola Tesla allegedly built Wardenclyffe Tower in order to produce a large, global, wireless signal - one that would create a global wireless network of information transfer and wireless electric energy. While it sounds like science fiction and defies belief that Tesla could conjure the idea let alone pull it off 100 years ago, consider that today we’re halfway there - information over WiFi - and that the power system designed by Nikola Tesla, known as alternating current (the AC to Edison’s DC, direct current) is still the standard system for residential electrical transmissions today. Unfortunately, Tesla was a terrible note taker and did a lot of ‘work’ in his head but it was something he’d achieved over pretty good distances - wireless electric power - and was attempting to scale.

The key has to do with the aquifers found beneath Wardenclyffe and Tesla seemed to believe they were a, or perhaps the, key.

To bring this full circle, it is a well known fact that an accessible and valuable metal on planet Earth that is also a spectacular conductor of electricity is the precious metal we call gold. Scroll through @doubledragon ’s thread again and tell me if you see some in Ancient Egypt…

Come back, I’ll be here 😉

The fun part is that the pyramid you saw with gold on top lies directly above? Underground aquifers. There’s your transmission point to the city. This pyramid - the first - is considerably different than the rest.

It’s 8000 years ago and a culture worships the power and light of the sun. Imagine their pharoah draped in gold (don’t need to imagine that part) with lights illuminating and dimming as he passes through the city with the energy provided for his kingdom by his ultimate resting place. Massive structures built within more reasonable time frames by more reasonable means is also explained more easily. I mean, with the power of electricity at your fingertips, you might think that your pharoah is…a god?

Anyway, I love a good fun historical theory, even if it’s a little far fetched.

Great thread.

History rocks.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

The tongue in cheek joke I used to make to my students in class about ‘ancient’ cultures is this:

We often make the assumption that because people lived long ago that we are automatically more advanced. Consider the latest and greatest accomplishment of mankind - the cellular phone - and it’s corresponding ‘new language’ known as emojis.

The Egyptians had them inside the Pyramids and on scrolls 8,000 years ago and we’re just getting them now.

😁

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've stated for many years that there should be hieroglyphic emojis available.

Why not? The more emojis available, the better. B)

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reason the tomb was never found in ancient times was the entrance was under ground level. Torrential rains brought mud and rock slides into the valley burying it until Howard Carter’s discovery.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another reason most tombs were found empty were in tough times later in dynasties the priests raided the tombs along with tomb raiders taking riches and recycling them for current dynasties. Egyptian history truly is one of the most amazing discoveries in our life time.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Very interesting theory about the gold @1951WheatiesPremium, I had not heard that before. I wish I could travel back in time to watch the ancient Egyptians build and function, they were a fascinating civilization.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2021 8:33AM

I lost track of this thread but love it. For you guys that want to see a scary but cool movie Check out “As Above So Below”

@perkdog said:
    I lost track of this thread but love it. For you guys that want to see a scary but cool movie Check out “As Above So Below”

I'm definitely going to have to check that out, I've always been fascinated by the catacombs below Paris, they are a mysterious and frightening place. I plan on getting into that later on in this thread, I've got so much to cover in this thread, this is going to be a 50 page thread when all is said and done!

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    These are the original photos from Howard Carter's discovery, they were originally in black and white, but have been colorized, the white man with the mustache is Howard Carter.

There is all kind of interesting stuff in this thread, but perhaps most amazing is Dr. Carter doing excavation in slacks and a white button up shirt. I can't keep a shirt like that clean at a wedding, let alone in the bowels of a centuries-old tomb. Props to him.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

I'm definitely going to have to check that out, I've always been fascinated by the catacombs below Paris, they are a mysterious and frightening place. I plan on getting into that later on in this thread, I've got so much to cover in this thread, this is going to be a 50 page thread when all is said and done!

Double D, it is creeeeeeeepy! You will enjoy it just watch it in bed incase you have to get under the covers for safety!

This is an> @AFLfan said:

@doubledragon said:

There is all kind of interesting stuff in this thread, but perhaps most amazing is Dr. Carter doing excavation in slacks and a white button up shirt. I can't keep a shirt like that clean at a wedding, let alone in the bowels of a centuries-old tomb. Props to him.

I know what you mean, I go through shirts like it's nothing, I can't make it through lunch without an accident!

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Double D, it is creeeeeeeepy! You will enjoy it just watch it in bed incase you have to get under the covers for safety!

Sounds like a mop handle movie, I have a mop handle that I keep close by for protection when I watch movies like that, I'll have to get it ready!

@doubledragon said:
    Very interesting theory about the gold @1951WheatiesPremium, I had not heard that before. I wish I could travel back in time to watch the ancient Egyptians build and function, they were a fascinating civilization.

Their geography ensured peace and prosperity for a long period of time in their history.

History has shown that typically coincides with great scientific advancement.

Another place I want to visit in ancient Egypt is the Karnak Temple. This is a view from the air of the ruins of the temple.

Other side.

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Sounds like a mop handle movie, I have a mop handle that I keep close by for protection when I watch movies like that, I'll have to get it ready!

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Ok, this is what the karnak temple looks like on the ground.