Home Sports Talk

The ancient world

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    All of these treasures are making me think about my own stash of valuables. I have a small safe where I keep my most prized possessions, my Joe Louis cards, Terry Bradshaw nudes, jewelry, etc.

The one in the middle should be under 24 hour armed guard. Maybe two armed guards just to be safer.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

The emperor is buried surrounded by rivers of mercury. It is so contaminated it would be impossible to open or accomplish today.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen a DaVinci work up close. You can see individual hairs which he painted with a single hair brush. Just standing that close to the masters work is an incredible experience.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    The 8,000 soldier statues are displaying enthusiasm as if they were watching Jalen Hurts play QB.

They would much rather see Dak Prescott in action> @stevek said:

@doubledragon said:
    All of these treasures are making me think about my own stash of valuables. I have a small safe where I keep my most prized possessions, my Joe Louis cards, Terry Bradshaw nudes, jewelry, etc.

The one in the middle should be under 24 hour armed guard. Maybe two armed guards just to be safer.

Those are my most prized possession, if I could only keep one thing from my safe, it would be my Terry Bradshaw nudes, hands down, and it's not even close.

edited July 3, 2021 3:51PM

Ok, up next is one of the most fascinating stories for me. It is the story of Lascaux cave, it is a cave that was discovered in 1940 and it is in France. A man and his dog were roaming around the countryside in France when his dog fell into a hole and soon realized it was an entrance to a cave. The man left and came back with some friends and they went into the cave, and what they found was a window to the beginnings of man. On the cave walls were over 600 prehistoric drawings of animals, hunters, and scenes of what life was like 17,000 years ago. These drawings had been made by humans that lived in prehistoric times, and they showed us what they had seen and what their lives had been like. The cave was excavated, and opened for public view, but it was soon realized that the drawings were deteriorating due to exposure and in 1963 the cave was closed for public view. Here is the original entrance to the cave.

edited July 3, 2021 5:03PM

These black and white photos are from the original cave before it was closed to the public for good in 1963. On the walls inside the cave were over 600 drawings of animals and hunters. They were scenes of prehistoric people hunting their animals for food and survival.

Here is a news article from the days when they were fighting to preserve the paintings inside the cave.

Since Lascaux cave has been closed to preserve the paintings, they were forced to produce reproductions so people can see what the original drawings and paintings were like. They have reproduced the entire cave which people can tour, but the original cave will be forever closed. Here is the reproduction cave and what the original drawings and paintings look like.

The prehistoric people left imprints of there hands on the walls of the cave.

Some estimate that the Lascaux cave paintings could actually be 20,000 years old, they are an amazing discovery, it is like living in prehistoric times and looking through the eyes of these people and seeing what they saw.

Always struck me as interesting, and I've seen this on other cave drawings as well, that they seem to depict the animals in more detail than themselves. The animals are mostly in full body, while the humans are basically stick figures?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    I’ve seen a DaVinci work up close. You can see individual hairs which he painted with a single hair brush. Just standing that close to the masters work is an incredible experience.

You ain't just whistling Dixie there. Chilling

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2021 5:59PM

We are going to this. About 15 minutes from our house

Can't wait. Van Gogh exhibit

https://www.vangoghla.com/
    m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@stevek said:
    Always struck me as interesting, and I've seen this on other cave drawings as well, that they seem to depict the animals in more detail than themselves. The animals are mostly in full body, while the humans are basically stick figures?

Yes, that is odd, I would love to see a more detailed drawing of what they looked like. It is a fascinating period of time, it blows my mind to see the the things that they actually saw in those times. Time and the past are very fascinating, I often think about what it would have been like to live in those days, prehistoric times, and these paintings are a window to the past. I will be continuing this thread tomorrow, there is more ancient history I would like to cover. This is a fun experience!

@Justacommeman said:
    We are going to this. About 15 minutes from our house

Can't wait. Van Gogh exhibit

https://www.vangoghla.com/
    m

A fascinating man!

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Yes, that is odd, I would love to see a more detailed drawing of what they looked like. It is a fascinating period of time, it blows my mind to see the the things that they actually saw in those times. Time and the past are very fascinating, I often think about what it would have been like to live in those days, prehistoric times, and these paintings are a window to the past. I will be continuing this thread tomorrow, there is more ancient history I would like to cover. This is a fun experience!

Without question, humans from back then believed in an afterlife. This is proven by the burial record.

Perhaps in some way with their cave illustrations, they wanted to honor the animals which provided them sustenance, without being sort of ostentatious about it. Maybe they thought it would be a jinx of sorts or disrespectful to depict themselves in a full body drawing?

As far as what they looked like, those facial reconstructions from skulls are often amazing accurate. So i think based on that, we have a pretty good idea of what they looked like.

Shave them in the appropriate places, clip their nails, give them a bath, fit them in some nice clothes and put them in an office in front of a computer, and nobody would know the difference between them and the other office workers. Although the first words out of their mouths might be, "What the yell is this dam thing in front of me?" LOL

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Without question, humans from back then believed in an afterlife. This is proven by the burial record.

Perhaps in some way with their cave illustrations, they wanted to honor the animals which provided them sustenance, without being sort of ostentatious about it. Maybe they thought it would be a jinx of sorts or disrespectful to depict themselves in a full body drawing?

As far as what they looked like, those facial reconstructions from skulls are often amazing accurate. So i think based on that, we have a pretty good idea of what they looked like.

Shave them in the appropriate places, clip their nails, give them a bath, fit them in some nice clothes and put them in an office in front of a computer, and nobody would know the difference between them and the other office workers. Although the first words out of their mouths might be, "What the yell is this dam thing in front of me?" LOL

Yes, and just imagine what they would think of our times, with all the technology and everything. They would see an airplane fly over and be in complete shock. They wouldn't have to hunt deer anymore, they could just walk into a Bojangles and order a chicken leg combo platter!

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Yes, and just imagine what they would think of our times, with all the technology and everything. They would see an airplane fly over and be in complete shock. They wouldn't have to hunt deer anymore, they could just walk into a Bojangles and order a chicken leg combo platter!

One of them might say, "Hey i invented that process of cooking meat, i want a cut of Bojangles profits." LOL

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon Holy grail of coins? let's ask Jack Black... https://youtu.be/cBzywze8NEI

@thisistheshow said:
    @doubledragon Holy grail of coins? let's ask Jack Black... https://youtu.be/cBzywze8NEI

A Lincoln's Johnson, I must have it for my collection now, it would go great with my Terry Bradshaw nudes!

Up next is a mysterious site that has been studied for a long time, it's location is on Salisbury plain in Wiltshire England. It is a place I like to call Stonehenge. It has been a big mystery why this place was built, and how these huge stones were brought to this site and placed on top of eachother.

Stonehenge is a prehistoric monument on Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire, England, two miles (3 km) west of Amesbury. It consists of an outer ring of vertical sarsen standing stones, each around 13 feet (4.0 m) high, seven feet (2.1 m) wide, and weighing around 25 tons, topped by connecting horizontal lintel stones. Inside is a ring of smaller bluestones. Inside these are free-standing trilithons, two bulkier vertical Sarsens joined by one lintel. The whole monument, now ruinous, is orientated towards the sunrise on the summer solstice. The stones are set within earthworks in the middle of the most dense complex of Neolithic and Bronze Age monuments in England, including several hundred tumuli (burial mounds).

Europe and North America
    Archaeologists believe it was constructed from 3000 BC to 2000 BC. The surrounding circular earth bank and ditch, which constitute the earliest phase of the monument, have been dated to about 3100 BC. Radiocarbon dating suggests that the first bluestones were raised between 2400 and 2200 BC, although they may have been at the site as early as 3000 BC.

One of the most famous landmarks in the United Kingdom, Stonehenge is regarded as a British cultural icon.[6] It has been a legally protected Scheduled Ancient Monument since 1882, when legislation to protect historic monuments was first successfully introduced in Britain. The site and its surroundings were added to UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites in 1986. Stonehenge is owned by the Crown and managed by English Heritage; the surrounding land is owned by the National Trust.

Stonehenge could have been a burial ground from its earliest beginnings. Deposits containing human bone date from as early as 3000 BC, when the ditch and bank were first dug, and continued for at least another 500 years.

This is what Stonehenge originally looked like when it was completed in it's prime.

It must have took a massive effort for these prehistoric people to haul these huge stones to this location and stack them on top of eachother, just how the heck did they do it, and why? These stones are 13 feet high and weigh 25 tons.

These stones are so huge, it is believed that it took different phases to complete Stonehenge, a massive project that took a lot of commitment to build, the job had to have been handed down through generations.

An aerial view of what it looked like in it's prime.

edited July 4, 2021 9:10AM

Just look how big these stones are. To haul these stones hundreds of miles and stack them on top of eachother must have took a massive effort.

edited July 4, 2021 9:13AM

edited July 4, 2021 9:15AM