Home Sports Talk

The ancient world

Comments

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2021 10:06AM

september 18th, 1978

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

another fun fact…eygpt actually lies and connects two separate continents. africa & asia.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    september 18th, 1978

That is freaking awesome!

At night.

edited July 5, 2021 10:37AM

The inside of the great pyramid is very mysterious and fascinating. It is a system of corridors and chambers, that ultimately lead to the Pharaoh Khufu's tomb, where his sarcophagus is.

There is a famous story about Napoleon Bonaparte, supposedly in 1798, Napoleon after he led the french army to victory in the battle of the pyramids, supposedly Napoleon went inside the great pyramid and spent the night in Pharaoh Khufu's tomb with his sarcophagus. Here's the story, it's quite creepy.

Napoleon Bonaparte’s mysterious night in the King’s Chamber at Giza

What Napoleon Bonaparte saw when he spent the night alone in the Great Pyramid of Giza is a mystery for the ages. Could he possibly have seen his future and his demise? Napoleon’s strange encounter inside the King’s Chamber is still covered by a mysterious veil of secrecy.

In 1798, Napoleon journeyed to Egypt on an archaeological research expedition. Like many of his contemporaries, he was captivated by the mysteries of the Pharaohs and the rich history of the country. He brought with him technicians, surveyors, astronomers, and archaeologists to study the land and uncover its secrets. These scientists took measurements and surveyed the Great Pyramid of Giza in order to draw up plans of its layout. Later, under his orders, they published the research results in several publications from 1809 to 1822.

But the most interesting event of Napoleon’s visit to Egypt lies in the mysteries of the night.

Napoleon wanted to explore areas inside the pyramid and asked to be left alone in the “King’s Chamber” where he stayed overnight.

When he emerged from the room the next morning, his facial expression was changed, traumatized and ghostly.

Upon seeing his altered image, an assistant asked if he had seen something terrifying inside, but Napoleon refused to give any related comment and stressed that it should not be mentioned again.

Years later, when Napoleon was on his death bed, a close friend asked him about the experience he had when he was inside the “King’s Chamber.” Napoleon was about to say it but changed his mind at the last minute. He just shook his head and said, “No, it doesn’t help. You will never believe me.”

What Napoleon experienced inside the Great Pyramid that night remains a secret and one that he took to the grave.

There has been a lot of speculation about Napoleon’s strange encounter in the ‘King’s Chamber’. According to an unconfirmed source, Napoleon saw scenes of his fateful future while residing in the Chamber at the center of the Pyramid.

The Great Pyramid Of Giza, Egypt

What is interesting here is that Napoleon Bonaparte was not the first, and certainly not the last person to witness a mystery inside the pyramid.

In the 1930s, the British author and journalist Paul Brunton spent a night inside the ‘King’s Chamber’. He described his experience in a famous book titled “A Search in Secret Egypt”.

The “King’s Chamber” is made entirely of granite, so, that night, he sat on a granite slab and lit a small candle. Stillness surrounded him, his candle was the only light.

The King’s Chamber of the Great Pyramid of Giza

As night gradually fell, he could see ghosts wandering. He felt incredibly frightened but he was determined to stay there until the bitter end. These ghosts soon disappeared, but later came something even more frightening still. His body fell paralyzed. He saw some people dressed in ceremonial clothes that looked perhaps like priests. These ghosts led him to a secret room inside the pyramid, a room that is known as the study hall.

He felt his soul leave his body and enter a space beyond death. What he describes is called an astral projection, which is similar to an ‘out of body experience’. He said he could see a silver cord connecting his “lifeless” body to his soul floating above. Ancient “tour guides,” told him all about the ancient pyramid, which was built during the 4th Dynasty between 2580 and 2560 BC. He was told about the secret rooms which lay inside the pyramid.

Then, just as suddenly as he had left his body, he realized he was alive again. The event was so real to him that afterward, he believed that the priests he met were still living there within the Great Pyramid. Occult experts believe, however, that these priests did not live there and were not flesh and blood, but were instead spirits that came to demonstrate that there is life after death, existing within this temple to the gods and the dead. If these theories are true they are surely a testament to the existence of human souls. When we die, the body will rot but the soul will live on eternally.

Was this merely an illusion, induced by fear or perhaps influenced by pre-existing theories? Or could there be a mysterious and inexplicable force in existence within the Great Pyramid of Giza? What are the possible explanations for the strange experiences had by those who spend the night within this ancient pyramid?

Recently, there has been a theory that these events could have been induced by background radiation emitted from the black granite blocks in the room. However, if it’s that simple, those who have visited this room must have experienced the same thing, right?

Early experiments showed that ‘soul stones’ within the King’s Chamber were able to emit an electric field that could cause mild shock. There is a theory that the pyramid, which is made of granite blocks, could transmit radio waves, or even microwave signals. Some also argue that it can generate energy from the top, which would radiate in spiral form as it enters the atmosphere.

Some alternative historians say that this discovery confirms their hypothesis that the Great Pyramid was designed to be a lighthouse-like beacon, used as a guide for galactic travel.

According to Richard Hoagland, a former NASA consultant, radioactive sand was discovered in a room behind the Queen’s Chamber, providing another possible explanation for the strange experiences of Napoleon and the countless others who have stayed there.

There are many theories put forward to explain the strange spectacles reported to have happened within the walls of the Great Pyramid of Giza, however, these mysteries remain unresolved. To date, all we really have is guess-work and many questions to which we have not yet found the answers. Perhaps one day, the secrets of the Pyramids will reveal themselves but for now, their deep pasts and curious presents remain a mystery.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2021 11:14AM

Egyptologists claim the Sphinx is 3000 years old but rock erosion around it suggests it was already there when Egypt was a tropical climate some 14,000 years ago.
    More claims say the great Pyramid was built in 20 years. That means a block would have to be put in place every 6 minutes 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    In the 1800’s a paid expedition was arranged to finally find out who really built the pyramids. The leader of the expedition found a tiny inscription in a chamber on a ceiling saying Khufu. But looking at his notes he never mentioned finding anything leading to believe it was him who wrote to justify the expense.
    They say the pyramid was a tomb for the pharaoh but a mummy has never been found in a pyramid. in the valley of the kings tombs are filled with inscriptions, ornate decorations but not one single mark has ever been found in the great pyramid leading me to call BS.
    The pyramids were there long before Egyptian society and they just grew a society around them.
    Remember 14,000 years ago the Sahara was an inland sea with lush foliage, whales in the water and a civilization surrounding it. Whale bones and carving of wild life can still be found today.
    Modern so called experts form stories to fit a narrative that suits them, ignoring facts because they are inconvenient to their theory

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if everyone knows this or not, but on Ebay they sell life-size pyramid building kits. Same size as the Egyptian pyramids. Assembly required.

Just be careful to read the fine print, the kit itself is reasonably priced, but the shipping cost is quite expensive.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon I think the Nazca Lines should be in your agenda soon. I’d love to hear why this ancient people sculpted works only visible from the air some 3000 years ago.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    @doubledragon I think the Nazca Lines should be in your agenda soon. I’d love to hear why this ancient people sculpted works only visible from the air some 3000 years ago.

I will definitely be covering the Nazca lines, there are actually theories that the lines were created for aliens, and that some of the lines were actually landing strips for alien aircraft, a sort of an ancient airport.

Ok, it's time to go inside the great pyramid. I would love to go inside this place and just roam it's corridors and chambers and see what it feels lime to roam the same pathways the builders of the pyramids roamed. Take a sack lunch, a few coca colas and just roam around inside and hang out. Here is an entrance to the inside on the outside of the great pyramid.

The entrance up closer.

Let's go inside!

edited July 5, 2021 12:03PM

A mysterious stairway that leads to nowhere?

An old photo of an explorer inside the great pyramid.

Here it is, Pharaoh Khufu's resting place, the king's chamber, and you can see Pharaoh Khufu's sarcophagus.

When visiting the pyramid, do ya get to keep any artifacts you may find like a mummy gold bracelet, etc?

edited July 5, 2021 12:33PM

Good thing the visitors wore masks. Wouldn't want the mummy to catch covid.

@stevek said:
    When visiting the pyramid, do ya get to keep any artifacts you may find like a mummy gold bracelet, etc?

You should be warned, if you take something from the pyramids, you risk being cursed. The Egyptian gods are always watching, and they know exactly how to get revenge. I would hate to see the Eagles lose to the Cowboys because you took a gold bracelet from a mummy!

Next, let's take a look at the Sphinx of Giza, which is supposed to be the head of a Pharaoh and the body of a cat or lion. This is a photo of the Sphinx in the 1800s, before it was fully excavated.

edited July 5, 2021 2:17PM

This stuff just fascinates me to no end, time and ancient stuff. Here is another photo of the Sphinx before being fully excavated.

The Sphinx when it was starting to be excavated.

The Sphinx in it's full glorious view today.

edited July 5, 2021 4:09PM

Another fascinating place that the ancient Egyptians built that is absolutely beautiful is Queen Hatshepsut's mortuary temple, this is a true marvel of building, I mean just look at the place, it was carved and formed out of the surrounding rock.

edited July 5, 2021 4:12PM

A statue of Queen Hatshepsut, supposedly declared herself Pharaoh and ruled for 20 years, and she was a prolific builder. A lot of images reportedly depict her as a man.

The temple up close.

Inside Queen Hatshepsut's mortuary temple.