Home Sports Talk

The ancient world

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

These stones are huge.

• Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

Back in 1970's Geographic magazine.... A real picture of the woman that was turned to salt, looking back at Sodom and Gomorrah. I wish I could find that again! It was truly amazing! I believe it was destroyed from war. Chariot wheels, buggies were found at the bottom of the red sea. You can't even move it, because it will fall apart from age .

I have changed the title of this thread to appropriately fit the subject matter.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:
    Always struck me as interesting, and I've seen this on other cave drawings as well, that they seem to depict the animals in more detail than themselves. The animals are mostly in full body, while the humans are basically stick figures?

Yes, that is odd, I would love to see a more detailed drawing of what they looked like. It is a fascinating period of time, it blows my mind to see the the things that they actually saw in those times. Time and the past are very fascinating, I often think about what it would have been like to live in those days, prehistoric times, and these paintings are a window to the past. I will be continuing this thread tomorrow, there is more ancient history I would like to cover. This is a fun experience!

Without question, humans from back then believed in an afterlife. This is proven by the burial record.

Perhaps in some way with their cave illustrations, they wanted to honor the animals which provided them sustenance, without being sort of ostentatious about it. Maybe they thought it would be a jinx of sorts or disrespectful to depict themselves in a full body drawing?

As far as what they looked like, those facial reconstructions from skulls are often amazing accurate. So i think based on that, we have a pretty good idea of what they looked like.

Shave them in the appropriate places, clip their nails, give them a bath, fit them in some nice clothes and put them in an office in front of a computer, and nobody would know the difference between them and the other office workers. Although the first words out of their mouths might be, "What the yell is this dam thing in front of me?" LOL

Yes, and just imagine what they would think of our times, with all the technology and everything. They would see an airplane fly over and be in complete shock. They wouldn't have to hunt deer anymore, they could just walk into a Bojangles and order a chicken leg combo platter!

Speaking of (Mr) Bojangles....... RIP Jerry Jeff Walker https://youtu.be/IcZCPT1eb0I

This is awesome, a medieval reference to Stonehenge, man I love ancient history, the people that came before us, the ancient world, the study of time.

If you get a chance, check out this documentary on Stonehenge, I've watched it several times and it is fascinating. A team of archeologists spent years there excavating and they unearthed unbelievable secrets.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

100 ton stones moved over 200 miles over streams, rivers, hills and mountains at the time our ancestors didn’t have the wheel. They shaped the stones with stone tools and chicken bones. Yeah and I got a bridge in New York for sale.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

@2dueces said:
    100 ton stones moved over 200 miles over streams, rivers, hills and mountains at the time our ancestors didn’t have the wheel. They shaped the stones with stone tools and chicken bones. Yeah and I got a bridge in New York for sale.

That's nothing, just wait until I get to the pyramids of Giza!

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2021 2:07PM

Double D, great thread, at some point do the one where they uncovered an ancient site
    and there's a carving of a dinosaur on one of the stone blocks. I'll have to try to find out the name of
    that site, I think they believe its the oldest site ever unearthed.

Edit- its the Angkor Wat site.................

@Darin said:
    Double D, great thread, at some point do the one where they uncovered an ancient site
    and there's a carving of a dinosaur on one of the stone blocks. I'll have to try to find out the name of
    that site, I think they believe its the oldest site ever unearthed.

Edit- its the Angkor Wat site.................

Holy crap, that is awesome, I will definitely cover that!

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    These black and white photos are from the original cave before it was closed to the public for good in 1963. On the walls inside the cave were over 600 drawings of animals and hunters. They were scenes of prehistoric people hunting their animals for food and survival.

not that big a deal. so easy a caveman could do it. 😉

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    An aerial view of what it looked like in it's prime.

if you know, you know:

edited July 4, 2021 3:58PM

Ok, tomorrow we're going to start again, I've got a lot of ancient civilizations to cover in the coming days. My phone is loaded with pictures that I've been downloading all day long, it's so full that it's amazing that it still functions!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@doubledragon said:
    An aerial view of what it looked like in it's prime.

if you know, you know:

Love that movie

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what happened to the stones that are missing from Stonehenge?
    Several lying on the ground but it looks like many unaccounted for.
    Its not like someone could just drag them off. ;)

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Up next is a mysterious site that has been studied for a long time, it's location is on Salisbury plain in Wiltshire England. It is a place I like to call Stonehenge. It has been a big mystery why this place was built, and how these huge stones were brought to this site and placed on top of eachother.

I was as there a small child in the 70s. You could climb on the rocks. I have a picture of myself standing on top of one of them.

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I know some of you guys collect coins and are knowledgeable about coins, and I like to poke around the coin forum from time to time, but I have always been curious, what is the holy grail of coin collecting? What is the one coin that is considered the absolute holy grail? Is it the 1933 Double Eagle?

I just finished reading a book ("Double Eagle") about the 1933s. Fascinating stuff. There's only the one legal one plus two at the Smithsonian. There's 10 more from the family of the guy who stole them who lost the right to own them. Not sure if the government melted those 10 or not.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2021 11:39PM

@Tabe said:

@doubledragon said:
    I know some of you guys collect coins and are knowledgeable about coins, and I like to poke around the coin forum from time to time, but I have always been curious, what is the holy grail of coin collecting? What is the one coin that is considered the absolute holy grail? Is it the 1933 Double Eagle?

I just finished reading a book ("Double Eagle") about the 1933s. Fascinating stuff. There's only the one legal one plus two at the Smithsonian. There's 10 more from the family of the guy who stole them who lost the right to own them. Not sure if the government melted those 10 or not.

They have not melted them.

Many including me don't believe that they were stolen to begin with and that they were wrongly confiscated.

I know the guy that just sold the only legal 33. Never knew he owned it. I was shocked

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Historicalwood71Historicalwood71 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2021 1:09AM

@2dueces said:

They used oxyn to pull the stones . Bigger than water buffalo. That makes sense to me. Elephants also. We couldn't have done it ... But 100s of huge animals could together. That's no different than bulldozers . Not talking about over water..... I'm lost at that point. Lol must have been aliens right? 😆

I> @Darin said:

So what happened to the stones that are missing from Stonehenge?
    Several lying on the ground but it looks like many unaccounted for.
    Its not like someone could just drag them off. ;)

It is a mystery what actually happened to the missing stones, from most of the information I've read, people seem to think that over time as the site became less sacred to people, pieces of the stones were broken up and chipped away and taken for industrial purposes. Why bother quarrying new stone when you could just get it from Stonehenge. Of course this is just a theory, it hasn't been proven.

A theory about the missing stones also arose that Stonehenge was never actually complete, but that theory was shot down when in 2013 during a dry summer, parchmarks from where the missing stones originally were, appeared and you could see that the stones actually were there.

edited July 5, 2021 3:09AM

This is awesome, these are some if the oldest known depictions of Stonehenge, drawn by people who visited the site in the late 1400s to 1500s.

More depictions of Stonehenge from the 1500s.

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread.

@SanctionII said:
    Great thread.

Thank you, I'm glad you're enjoying it, I've always been fascinated by ancient history and the people that came before us. I will be continuing work on this thread as there are a lot of fascinating ancient civilizations to cover.

Ok everyone, it's time. This is one, maybe the most, fascinating and studied ancient civilizations in history, ancient Egypt. Where do you begin with this? I'm sure we're all familiar with the basics, the civilization had rulers called Pharaohs, their language was called heiroglyphics, which utilized symbols and pictures as words, and they were magnificent builders. This is a complex and highly sophisticated civilization and I'm just going to go with the flow and let the tide take us wherever it takes us. We'll start with the Pyramids of Giza. The pyramid in the middle is the great pyramid and it was built for the Pharaoh Khufu in about 2570 B.C. and would become his tomb where his body was placed when he died. The great pyramid is one of the 7 wonders of the ancient world and is in fact the only remaining one of the 7 wonders.

The great pyramid is an absolutely astonishing feat of engineering that must have taken an unbelievable effort to build.

The oldest of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World and the only one that survives today, the Great Pyramid of Giza was constructed as a tomb for the Egyptian pharaoh Khufu. The precise details regarding the pyramid’s construction remain a mystery, as no written records have been found, but a number of estimates place its completion at sometime between 2560 B.C. and 2540 B.C. The pyramid initially rose about 481 feet, making it the world’s tallest man-made structure for thousands of years until it was surpassed in the early 1300s by England’s Lincoln Cathedral. Due to erosion, the pyramid now stands around 455 feet tall.

Covering an area of 13 acres, the massive monument was designed to align with the points of the compass and built with an estimated 2.3 million stones, each weighing a ton or more on average. The workforce is thought to have consisted of thousands of skilled tradesmen and paid laborers, as opposed to slaves, and estimates suggest the project took about two decades to complete. It’s been speculated that workers created ramps in order to move the stone building blocks into place on the pyramid.

In addition to Khufu’s pyramid, two other large pyramids for pharaohs were erected at the Giza site, one for his son Khafra (it originally stood 471 feet high) and the other for Khafra’s son Menkaure (originally 218 feet high). Khafra’s pyramid complex is home to the famous Great Sphinx statue, which measures 241 feet long and about 66 feet high. Over the ages, all three pyramids have been targeted by grave robbers and much of their exterior white limestone stolen, possibly for use in other building projects.

edited July 5, 2021 9:12AM

Words don't do this place justice, it is absolutely huge. Here is a taste of it up close. You can see the lady sitting on the bottom, that shows you how big the great pyramid truly is.

edited July 5, 2021 9:37AM

You can see how big each stone is.

The Sphinx is located right near the pyramids.

Getting back to the great pyramid, here is what it originally looked like when it was completed. It had a gold tip on the top.

edited July 5, 2021 9:52AM

Here it the scene in it's heyday.

A guy climbed to the top of the great pyramid.