Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread - Flipping Posts Welcome!*****

Comments

• Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

A question for the Mint experts = I had a friend order 3 Peace dollars for me. He is moving from CA to PA at the end of August. His current billing address on his CC is CA but he plans to change it to PA after he moves. Will this impact his order when the Mint tries to charge him in October? Thanks.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2021 8:49PM

@oilers99 said:
    A question for the Mint experts = I had a friend order 3 Peace dollars for me. He is moving from CA to PA at the end of August. His current billing address on his CC is CA but he plans to change it to PA after he moves. Will this impact his order when the Mint tries to charge him in October? Thanks.

I would suggest that he just fill out a change of address card at the Post Office and tell them he is expecting the package. I would be afraid that the Mint would end up cancelling his order by mistake. When he gets the shipping notice from the Mint call his Post Office and let them know it is on the way.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably. Maybe. Best burn up the phone lines with the mint. Others should be able to be more specific. Good luck 🤓

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    oilers99oilers99 Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@oilers99 said:

I would suggest that he just fill out a change of address card at the Post Office and tell them he is expecting the package. I would be afraid that the Mint would end up cancelling his order by mistake. When he gets the shipping notice from the Mint call his Post Office and let them know it is on the way.

His shipping address was already changed to PA so as long as the order gets processed he should get it. My concern was the CC billing address in October was different than the one used in August and if the Mint will somehow flag it. Hopefully he will get an email from the Mint if there is a problem and then have a chance to reach them and resolve it.

• Options
    edited August 11, 2021 9:26PM

I would reach out pronto I sure never expect the mint to call me up. I seem to recall there being another thread that had some answers but I mostly remember the need for you to take action and be prepared for a battle ( only thing they seem to understand). Again good luck take action 🤓

• Options
    RichRRichR Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...that was fast!

Did anyone get a read on how many were available?

Even my Paypal couldn't check out fast enough!

• Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

I tried, but it was gone before I could click the last button.

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

It blinked. Not enough time to get one in cart.

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2021 4:36AM

All I had to do is hit accept terms and place order. I got the little processing widow but couldn’t pull it off. Nada 👎
    Had to clear my cart for later today.

• Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I had 3 of each in my cart and wasn’t fast enough. The gold 1/2oz and 4 coin sets are available though

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

When I hit Add to Cart nothing happened. I refreshed the page after 15 seconds and they were gone

• Options
    jskillz95jskillz95 Posts: 86 ✭✭✭

No luck for me either

• Options

Surprising that the first morning after availability wasn't a bit more fruitful.

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, just a blink. Got 2 in the cart, then unavailable at checkout...

• Options

There may be a shot tomorrow, if all those that want the ASE today clear their carts.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭

@RichR said:
    Surprising that the first morning after availability wasn't a bit more fruitful.

I think it wasn't fruitful because this is the 2nd day after launch and the Household limit was lifted yesterday around noon. So basically zero chance to beat the bots. We might have had a fighting chance If they had released some yesterday morning while the HH Limit was still in place... imho

• Options

I just suspect that the pool of available coins has not yet been accurately determined.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the mint hasn't run credit cards and won't until October then that will be the time to check back again i would think.

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭

@gtstang said:
    If the mint hasn't run credit cards and won't until October then that will be the time to check back again i would think.

Aren't they closing the order windows well before then? I was thinking the same, they should makes the available inventory available at that time

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

order windows close 1 week after day 1.

if there are a lot of returns, I expect post shipping ... or maybe if there are a lot of cancellations pre-ship ... sales again

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@kimber45ACP said:
    There may be a shot tomorrow, if all those that want the ASE today clear their carts.

very good thinking!

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 12, 2021 8:49AM

@MWK said:

@Raufus said:
    Be thankful u got to complete it. I dud same and zero to show for it.

I ordered three each of the P, S, and D Morgan dollars and three of the Peace dollars so that I would have extras to trade thanks to my credit card being compromised before the O and CC Morgan dollars shipped. If you or anyone else is interested in a straight up trade of a Morgan (P, S, or D mint mark) or a Peace dollar for a Morgan with a CC or O privy mark, let me know.

For those interested in a trade, I cannot confirm any trade until I get the coins from the mint. Who knows? Maybe my card will get compromised again before they ship since we have to wait until November for today's batch of coins.

Sorry!!! Hopefully we can all help each other out.

Funny, I was thinking that I was going to post offers for straight up trades on the BST. I'm definitely in. I'm just looking to get a raw set of one of each.

Please pm me.

I'll also post on the BST.

I was going to wait to post on the BST until I have them in hand - just as you note.

Good luck!!

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

I ended up getting three Peace Dollars but thought I got none. I got all the typical error messages when trying to check out and finally gave up at around 9:20 feeling pretty dejected. Then I checked my email and noticed one from the Mint telling me my order went thru at 9:07. What? Was not expecting to see that amd at no time received a confirmation on screen. Then I thought the heck with it, I’ll try with the Morgan’s and got my 3 pretty quick. I’ve had a bit of luck with the Morgan’s and got the whole set with multiples of each. I’m on a 14 year old IMac with not so fast WiFi so I’m pretty surprised.

• Options

a 14 year old imac has a browser version that is up-to-date enough to properly render modern web pages?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    a 14 year old imac has a browser version that is up-to-date enough to properly render modern web pages?

It does! It’s been awhile since I’ve been able to upgrade to the latest version but it keeps on ticking.

• Options
    roob47roob47 Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Was it just me or did the bots come for the eagles this morning????????🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabriz44 said:
    I ended up getting three Peace Dollars but thought I got none. I got all the typical error messages when trying to check out and finally gave up at around 9:20 feeling pretty dejected. Then I checked my email and noticed one from the Mint telling me my order went thru at 9:07. What? Was not expecting to see that amd at no time received a confirmation on screen. Then I thought the heck with it, I’ll try with the Morgan’s and got my 3 pretty quick. I’ve had a bit of luck with the Morgan’s and got the whole set with multiples of each. I’m on a 14 year old IMac with not so fast WiFi so I’m pretty surprised.

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

speaking of bots. I wonder if they are getting in at the morning 7:30 offerings or if the mint is trying to block them around the clock .

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my first notice from my CC company that they cancelled the pending charge. Suspect that is due to a week passing. Guess we will see in October if they ship the first ones.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    DSinkDSink Posts: 1
    edited August 12, 2021 5:34PM

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

I refreshed the Peace showed preorder add to cart and couldn't even add, gone already.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

if there are a lot of returns, I expect post shipping ... or maybe if there are a lot of cancellations pre-ship ... sales again

Defeats the purpose of a pre- order, doesn't it?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

A number of years ago they experimented with a pre-sale over the course of a month. Return rate meant they haven’t tried again since.

It was hard to predict that the return rate would kill it.

If they consistently took pre-sales on items like these and mint to order it would get costly to flippers who have to mail things back. Although there could still be cancellations. I think the flips would be fewer if the main customers are satisfied via the mint channel and the flippers would stop trying.

Defeats the purpose? It’s not in the plan to re-open a sales window, but if the flippers fail on these (D&S Morgan’s weak) there will be returns. Open the window again to unload the returns.

But

Don’t try a couple of pre-orders and say it doesn’t work. Give the flippers time to fail enough to give up.

They did pre-orders for the comments. That’s a good set of issues to do it on. Not many flippers in there (on most but not all issues) and it will provide proof of concept.

• Options

@HATTRICK said:
    speaking of bots. I wonder if they are getting in at the morning 7:30 offerings or if the mint is trying to block them around the clock .

Have > @MsMorrisine said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

A number of years ago they experimented with a pre-sale over the course of a month. Return rate meant they haven’t tried again since.

If they consistently took pre-sales on items like these and mint to order it would get costly to flippers who have to mail things back. Although there could still be cancellations. I think the flips would be fewer if the main customers are satisfied via the mint channel and the flippers would stop trying.

Defeats the purpose? It’s not in the plan to re-open a sales window, but if the flippers fail on these (D&S Morgan’s weak) there will be returns. Open the window again to unload the returns.

But

Don’t try a couple of pre-orders and say it doesn’t work. Give the flippers time to fail enough to give up.

They did pre-orders for the comments. That’s a good set of issues to do it on. Not many flippers in there (on most but not all issues) and it will provide proof of concept.

I'll say it again: an auction at release maximizes Mint profits while eliminating flippers.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

Have > @MsMorrisine said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

But

I'll say it again: an auction at release maximizes Mint profits while eliminating flippers.

I understand the market efficiency of an auction. But it doesn't seem right to me for a government agency to auction off its goods and services to the highest bidder.

• Options

What about the fact they sure grant contracts to the lowest bidder. Auctions are all over the government. I believe your incorrect

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    What about the fact they sure grant contracts to the lowest bidder. Auctions are all over the government. I believe your incorrect

Well to put it simply coins are not business contracts.

I do not want to have to bid my hard earned funds for products my hard earned taxes help fund.

• Options

@fathom said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

I do not want to have to bid my hard earned funds for products my hard earned taxes help fund.

Since the MInt turns a profit - mostly on seigniorage - you aren't funding anything. But, if we grant your point, why would you want your tax dollars going to underwrite the profits of flippers? If the Mint sells the product for less than full market value, the government is leaving money on the table.

• Options

Did anyone else see the red button appear for a fraction of a second...and then poof!

• Options

@RichR said:
    Did anyone else see the red button appear for a fraction of a second...and then poof!

I did.

• Options
    CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

@kimber45ACP said:

@RichR said:

I did.

Ditto

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."
  • Options

@fathom said:

@Jzyskowski1 said:

I do not want to have to bid my hard earned funds for products my hard earned taxes help fund

Poppycock.

• Options

I also had my Paypal linkage fired up...for extra speed...and still no soup for me!

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/

Government auctions off stuff all the time.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    FlipsFlips Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

Was able to cart 99 peace this morning but no checkout. I didnt catch how many were available but can only guess a few.

• Options

@3stars said:
    https://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/

Government auctions off stuff all the time.

Yup. If nothing else, it prevents sweetheart deals for the well connected.

• Options

The following happened to me for the first time ordering from the Mint: my order confirmation email did not show the last 4 digits of the credit card that I used (which is saved in my profile) (or at least thought I used), but I did receive the Mint confirmation emails (the first one saying that they've received my order and the second one that my order is confirmed).

When I check my account's order history, it shows the order but under "Payment Methods", where it usually will have 4 rows that look like this:

Visa
    Exp xx/yyyy
    Amount $xxx

all the rows are instead blank. This is for the Morgan P and it shows the status as "backorder" (which is normal). I suspect that this is some glitch because of the thousands of people trying to hit the site and check out at the same time last week.

Should I do anything now or wait till they are ready to ship (and the mint will just figure it out or reach out to me)? I'm concerned that calling the Mint now might somehow mess up/cancel the order.

• Options

@NYCMint said:
    The following happened to me for the first time ordering from the Mint: my order confirmation email did not show the last 4 digits of the credit card that I used (which is saved in my profile) (or at least thought I used), but I did receive the Mint confirmation emails (the first one saying that they've received my order and the second one that my order is confirmed).

When I check my account's order history, it shows the order but under "Payment Methods", where it usually will have 4 rows that look like this:

Visa
    Exp xx/yyyy
    Amount $xxx

all the rows are instead blank. This is for the Morgan P and it shows the status as "backorder" (which is normal). I suspect that this is some glitch because of the thousands of people trying to hit the site and check out at the same time last week.

Should I do anything now or wait till they are ready to ship (and the mint will just figure it out or reach out to me)? I'm concerned that calling the Mint now might somehow mess up/cancel the order.

Anything they do now, they would do later. You aren't going to trigger anything different by calling now.

• Options
    edited August 16, 2021 2:17PM

I have same problem my peace dollar shows those 4 lines with proper info myCCity doesn’t. Both are the same thing as you different coins. I’m thinking we are probably SOL. 🤓

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file