Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:
    About a dozen sold on ebay yesterday for $150-$185.... :#

When they are available for sale at a dealer, I will not pay more than $125 each (preferably less). If the dealers get greedy, I will pass on these and maybe wait for them to sell on ebay for around the issue price.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:

@djm said:

@JeffM said:
    I can't wait for the flippers to come on here, puff their chests out, and boast about the hundreds of Morgans and Peace Dollars they bought.

Any body can get hundreds of these the HHL of 10 is only for the first 24 hours. Then it is what ever you can afford.
    Remember these won't ship until October.

They will buy them all on the first minute of the first hour of the first day. Many of the flippers have teams of hired goons who each order the HHL of 10. On the second day, the flippers will just buy a couple hundred more on their own.

Why do you think these will sell out?

The mint knows these are losers, that's why they had the ANA pressure the official grading company of the ANA to make them part of the Morgan Dollar Registry set.

• Options
    JeffMJeffM Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

@JeffM said:

@djm said:

@JeffM said:
    I can't wait for the flippers to come on here, puff their chests out, and boast about the hundreds of Morgans and Peace Dollars they bought.

Any body can get hundreds of these the HHL of 10 is only for the first 24 hours. Then it is what ever you can afford.
    Remember these won't ship until October.

They will buy them all on the first minute of the first hour of the first day. Many of the flippers have teams of hired goons who each order the HHL of 10. On the second day, the flippers will just buy a couple hundred more on their own.

Why do you think these will sell out?

The mint knows these are losers, that's why they had the ANA pressure the official grading company of the ANA to make them part of the Morgan Dollar Registry set.

Well, I certainly hope that I am wrong, but I am basing it on prior experience with the Mint and flippers and dealers. They will grab them and market the hell out of them (especially the dealers). I foresee e-mail after e-mail coming from the dealers offering these in all forms and combinations. The flippers will also buy these in droves because, well, that's what the flippers do. They love to boast about the hundreds of coins they bought. Then, if they can't sell them, they will complain. As I said, I hope that I am wrong. But with my experiences with the Mint, I will not even try buying them from the Mint.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffM said:
    Well, I certainly hope that I am wrong, but I am basing it on prior experience with the Mint and flippers and dealers. They will grab them and market the hell out of them (especially the dealers). I foresee e-mail after e-mail coming from the dealers offering these in all forms and combinations. The flippers will also buy these in droves because, well, that's what the flippers do. They love to boast about the hundreds of coins they bought. Then, if they can't sell them, they will complain. As I said, I hope that I am wrong. But with my experiences with the Mint, I will not even try buying them from the Mint.

PFS is offering a commission of $145.05 for ten of the 05/24/21 'privy' releases.

Link

Note - I do not know how this commission compares to prior offers.

• Options
    cagcrispcagcrisp Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djm said:

_PFS is offering a commission of $145.05 for ten of the 05/24/21 'privy' releases.

That's not a great deal you need to tie up $854.95 for 6 months in order to get 145.05 less shipping.

You're not going to tie up $854.95 for 6 months. Only a couple of weeks because the Mint doesn't hit your cc until shipment...

$145.05 or 16.97% for two weeks...

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

@JeffM said:

PFS is offering a commission of $145.05 for ten of the 05/24/21 'privy' releases.

Link

Interesting. $14.50 profit per coin really doesn't seem like much. And I guess you don't get to keep any for yourself!

• Options

@cagcrisp said:

@djm said:

_PFS is offering a commission of $145.05 for ten of the 05/24/21 'privy' releases.

That's not a great deal you need to tie up $854.95 for 6 months in order to get 145.05 less shipping.

You're not going to tie up $854.95 for 6 months. Only a couple of weeks because the Mint doesn't hit your cc until shipment...

$145.05 or 16.97% for two weeks...

They may not hit your credit card until they ship, but you need to keep $854.95 available for six month as you don't exactly when your order is going to ship.

You also didn't take into consideration the shipping and insurance to get the package to PFS probably about $20.00

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

pfs says they provide the prepaid shipping label.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

I see lots of presales on Ebay but they wont ship out till October. Thats 5 months of a time laps that should go against Ebays sales rules as your suppose to have the deal complete. If you wait past 3 months wont Ebay cancel the sale for failure to deliver?

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinnmore said:
    I see lots of presales on Ebay but they wont ship out till October. Thats 5 months of a time laps that should go against Ebays sales rules as your suppose to have the deal complete. If you wait past 3 months wont Ebay cancel the sale for failure to deliver?

I do not believe ebay cancels those sales, unless the buyer files a non receipt claim. I believe, it used to be but I'm not sure if it still is, that pre sale items have a 30 day window to be delivered after item is purchased.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:

@Coinnmore said:

I do not believe ebay cancels those sales, unless the buyer files a non receipt claim. I believe, it used to be but I'm not sure if it still is, that pre sale items have a 30 day window to be delivered after item is purchased.

There you go a 30 day window now we’re talking a 150 day window talk about a problem. Can you imagine all those people demanding their coin after 30 days. 60 days. 90 days! After 120 days go by I can just imagine Ebay will refund all by then. This October release date will wreak havic on all those sales.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinnmore said:

@OPA said:

@Coinnmore said:

There you go a 30 day window now we’re talking a 150 day window talk about a problem. Can you imagine all those people demanding their coin after 30 days. 60 days. 90 days! After 120 days go by I can just imagine Ebay will refund all by then. This October release date will wreak havic on all those sales.

Honestly, I'm not sure how eBay will handle it. I think it is going to be more of a problem for the buyers than the sellers. eBay will NOT void those sales unless the buyer requests it. Presumably, the buyer knows they are buying a coin that won't deliver until October. Come October, however, you won't have any of your normal eBay protections and your only option will be a credit card chargeback.

Personally, I would neither buy nor sell anything on a 5 month pre-sale. I'm just asking for trouble.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@carew4me said:
    So 175,000 per issue (200k Peace)
    Ryder said they had difficulty securing the 1 million+ blanks.
    This tells me there will be NO other 2021 special sets or additional issues that feature these coins.
    Also , dealers get 17,500 of each issue secured. flood of 70s will hit market.

The flood of dealer buys didn't hurt the 2020 privy silver eagle..I have had 50 -100 coin lots of the privy eagles offered in last 3 months ... Buying the 2021 morgans

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

@MetroD said:

Has anyone heard of anyone paying more than PFS?

BST references available on request

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The Mint Director emphasized that they are not commemorative coins."
    What are they really? And 'Privy Marks'?

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@carew4me said:
    So 175,000 per issue (200k Peace)
    Also , dealers get 17,500 of each issue secured. flood of 70s will hit market.

Several dealers have been offering these to their main customers on a pre-order basis, with competitive prices guaranteed, and delivery sometime in October. By grading in bulk it costs them less than an individual can sending in only a couple of each type, and no risk of getting a few 69's to try to sell, when those will the be in the market possibly at a lower cost.

Simple, easy, reliable. I will support my favorite dealers on this one and buy from them.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2021 11:58AM

@AlexinPA said:

They are not commemorative coins as they do not belong to the Commemorative Series which has been ongoing since 1982.

This are tribute coins like the 2014 JFK Half Dollars, 2009 UHR St Gaudens, 2016 Mercury Dime, Standing Liberty Quarter and the 2016 Walking liberty Half, and many more.

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

I see these as a continuation of the Morgan and Peace series. Kennedy Half Dollars haven't been made for circulation since 2001, dollar coins haven't been made for circulation since 2012, we even have a new NCLT series the American Innovation Dollars not being made for circulation. So I have no problem grouping the 2021 coins with the original series.

• Options

How about FIRST STRIKE ELIGABILITY? I was going to buy a total of 5 in a order and the buy (1) one so I can open and touch one. Do this on both types and save the unopened boxes for possible First Strike grading in the future. Usually time does not matter as that usually goes by the Mint ship date. But since their ship date will be 150 days out from purchase date. When does our host start their First Strike elgability? Does it go buy official issue date or mint ship date? I am guessing May 24th is the start date but if I never open the box of 5 should be eligible for FS. Sorry if this question sound off sense. 👀

• Options

@Coinnmore said:
    How about FIRST STRIKE ELIGABILITY? I was going to buy a total of 5 in a order and the buy (1) one so I can open and touch one. Do this on both types and save the unopened boxes for possible First Strike grading in the future. Usually time does not matter as that usually goes by the Mint ship date. But since their ship date will be 150 days out from purchase date. When does our host start their First Strike elgability? Does it go buy official issue date or mint ship date? I am guessing May 24th is the start date but if I never open the box of 5 should be eligible for FS. Sorry if this question sound off sense. 👀

Personally, I'm not sure I would ever set things like this aside for future first strike. You can't get bulk pricing on the grading. It will be cheaper to buy First Strike later than it will ever be to have your own coins graded.

All you do is risk discovering 2 years later that there are only 4 coins in the box rather than 5.

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinnmore,

Based on the recent 2021 Christa and Law commemoratives with delayed shipping, the first strike eligibility for these silver dollars will likely start the first day the Mint actually ships, and then continue eligible 30 days from then. Inside the Mint box the packing slip has the date the order was shipped.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:

"While the 2021 Morgan and Peace Dollars coins commemorate the 100th anniversaries of each coin, they are not technically considered commemorative coins according to traditional definitions of that term. Commemorative coins, as defined in this report, by the U.S. Mint, and by the Commemorative Coin Reform Act (CCRA), are authorized by Congress to “celebrate and honor American people, places, events, and institutions” and “help raise money for important causes.”80 The 2021 Morgan and Peace dollars are differentiated from other commemorative coins because proceeds from their sale are not statutorily designated for a specific recipient group. They are solely minted to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the coins, not to raise money."
    Source: page 24 here

There are only two commemorative coin programs each year.
    For 2021, they were:
    ~ McAuliffe
    ~ National Law Enforcement Memorial & Museum
    Press Release

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2021 4:19PM

Their delay in shipping could very well be to know how many to strike so that everyone who wants one can get one. Tells me flipability is newgative. They are likely to also package them in different "products"/sets before Oct. which would also enlighten them on how many to strike.

Just another direct from the mint bullion product at a high premium? I say yes. I'll stick with the basic bullion ASEs. More bang for the buck.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

12:30 est tomorrow and we’ll know how many flippers are buying 10

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

Yes, but it could be weeks before we know how many are returning them.

• Options

From the above CoinWorld article:
    "The mint was able to secure 1,075,000 total planchets, for production spread among six different coins at three mints, Ryder said."

that's enough planchets for an average of aprox. 180K coins for each of the six issues. You guys order as many of the first ones as you can and I'll wait for the last ones which will hopefully experience a planchet shortage.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

you're late to the game, derryb

the mintages for the issues are already set. 175k for each morgan and 200k for the peace.

the planchet issue should say something to those who think there will be a "set" on sale this year.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Yes, but it could be weeks before we know how many are returning them.

months... perhaps once they can't be flipped, there will be returns in november

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

It’s interesting that PFS is setting a firm price they’ll pay to the flippers but yet other, including those who are part of this website, have not yet set a price but are “feeling out the market” before they provide/commit to a a price for a set of 10.

BST references available on request

• Options

@HoneyMarket said:
    It’s interesting that PFS is setting a firm price they’ll pay to the flippers but yet other, including those who are part of this website, have not yet set a price but are “feeling out the market” before they provide/commit to a a price for a set of 10.

Not really, they know they can get all they want when the household limit of ten expires. Why pay for something you can do yourself?

• Options

@djm said:

@HoneyMarket said:

Not really, they know they can get all they want when the household limit of ten expires. Why pay for something you can do yourself?

I don't think that is the reason. You are assuming that there will be any available when the HHL comes off. For some issues, by the way, they never pull the HHL. While there will be some available on later mornings, there may not be many and you are still competing against other people sitting on them.

If I believed in this issue, I would gladly pay $15 over the issue price for several hundred of them. This is inherently riskier than other issues for a couple of reasons:

1. You've got 5 Morgans. Will everyone want all 5 or just one? [Peace might be a better bet.] If people only want one representative coin (at $100 each, by the way) then you've got nearly a million of them available.
    2. There is no way you get these for 4 or 5 months, maybe longer. What is the market situation at that time? You are going to have a lot of flippers selling these into the market for months before they actually arrive. In 5 months, the price could be below issue price. If the market price drops, you will have thousands of cancellations. It is quite possible that this issue is sold out tomorrow and then still available at Christmas. [See 2017 Enhanced Uncirculated sets for reference]
  • Options
    edited May 24, 2021 7:16AM

@derryb said:
    From the above CoinWorld article:
    "The mint was able to secure 1,075,000 total planchets, for production spread among six different coins at three mints, Ryder said."

that's enough planchets for an average of aprox. 180K coins for each of the six issues. You guys order as many of the first ones as you can and I'll wait for the last ones which will hopefully experience a planchet shortage.

It's worth pointing out that you can't know which one is the last one struck. They don't have to strike them in the same order that they released them.

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

Do you think I should put both coins in one order? or in two orders to save time for the first coin?

• Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    I will TRY for one of each but we know how that goes.lol
    Wayne

Same. Don't plan on collecting them however if they go annual. How about other folks? If they go annual are u in?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

I'll buy 1 of each this year, but none in following years.

although if they mint peace dollars as they were minted in the 1900s, I might do a peace dollar run.

• Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

Those buying just 1 for yourself, are you sending it in to be graded? I'd like it graded, but want a 70. Big risk if I buy from mint and have it graded. But cheaper than buying a 70 on eBay later. Torn.

• Options
    smuglrsmuglr Posts: 407 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

the mintages for the issues are already set. 175k for each morgan and 200k for the peace.

the planchet issue should say something to those who think there will be a "set" on sale this year.

This is a pretty easy concept to understand. Why are so many having difficulty with it? The mint secured a set number of planchets and as you said the mintages are set... so each item can be ordered up to the mintage limit and it has no effect on the succeeding ones and unless a bunch of each remain unsold, which is unlikely, it leaves nothing for a potential "set".

• Options
    HalfpenceHalfpence Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭

@smuglr said:

@MsMorrisine said:

This is a pretty easy concept to understand. Why are so many having difficulty with it? The mint secured a set number of planchets and as you said the mintages are set... so each item can be ordered up to the mintage limit and it has no effect on the succeeding ones and unless a bunch of each remain unsold, which is unlikely, it leaves nothing for a potential "set".

The mintage numbers have NOT been determined. Only the product limit.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2021 10:05PM

No mintage limit have been set. Product limits (the single packaged coin) have been set that match the total number of the unique planchets currently available. If coins do not sell out at the product limit and mint does not acquire more planchets, remaining planchets can and will likely be used for sets which can be sold as separate products. There's a reason why the six coins are being sold well before actual release and it likely has to do with further products.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@Rob9874 said:
    Those buying just 1 for yourself, are you sending it in to be graded? I'd like it graded, but want a 70. Big risk if I buy from mint and have it graded. But cheaper than buying a 70 on eBay later. Torn.

It is almost always cheaper to buy a 70 on eBay, especially if you wait a bit. The 70s will cost you a premium if you buy in the middle of the initial hype. Wait 6 months and the 70s will probably be cheaper than you could do it yourself UNLESS the yield on 70s is very low. But, if the yield on 70s is really low, you are likely to spend $50 to get your coin into a 69 holder anyway.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Things aren’t looking good for these coins coming out today.

• Options

@derryb said:
    No mintage limit have been set. Product limits (the single packaged coin) have been set that match the total number of the unique planchets currently available. If coins do not sell out at the product limit and mint does not acquire more planchets, remaining planchets can and will likely be used for sets which can be sold as separate products. There's a reason why the six coins are being sold well before actual release and it likely has to do with further products.

This is pure speculation and not terribly well reasoned. No offense.

There are good reasons to sell them before the actual issue date:
    1. Gauge demand so you don't strike more coins than you need.
    2. Space out your coin releases so you aren't flooding your system simultaneously with all of your releases late in the year.
    3. Create hype

But there is almost zero point in doing so hoping that the issue is undersubscribed so that you have leftover planchets for another issue later in the year:

1. If the initial release is undersubscribed, then demand is flaccid and won't support yet another issue.
    2. You would need to have significant excess capacity in your operation to be able to produce a new product later in the year.
    3. You can't simply put together a new set on a couple of weeks' notice. You have to prepare dies, get approvals, order packaging, etc.

If there is going to be another set released later this year, it is ALREADY PLANNED and in pre-production right now.

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 7:37AM

Just received an email from the Mint announcing today's sale of the Morgan dollars. Included in the text is the statement "Only 175,000 coins featuring each privy mark will be produced.".

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still haven’t decided which ones I’ll try for: all, just the mintmarked ones + Peace, or just the Peace. I so wish I could see what the actual product looked like instead of the rendering. I haven’t been a big fan of the laser usage on dies for these, either. I feel like it loses some character.

• Options
    DimeDorkDimeDork Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 7:43AM

@MetroD said:

@JeffM said:

Link

There are offers of +$60 per coin out there (or a $600 premium for household limit of 10).

PFS is paying a pittance. I like their emails in that it gives you an idea if there is any flipping potential, but no way would I use them.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 8:03AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

This is pure speculation and not terribly well reasoned. No offense.

None taken.

There are good reasons to sell them before the actual issue date:
    Gauge demand so you don't strike more coins than you need.

They will use all of these unique planchets on these coins. What doesn't sell as individual coins will be released later in sets. This is the reason for the delay in shipping and why the need for pre-ordering.

Space out your coin releases so you aren't flooding your system simultaneously with all of your releases late in the year.

Agree, reduce website issues.

Create hype

Agree

But there is almost zero point in doing so hoping that the issue is undersubscribed so that you have leftover planchets for another issue later in the year.

I made no claim that mint hopes single coins are undersubscribed. I speculated that they are prepared with the set offerings in the event the individual coins are don't reach production limits.

If the initial release is undersubscribed, then demand is flaccid and won't support yet another issue.

There are always buyers for the special label set.

You would need to have significant excess capacity in your operation to be able to produce a new product later in the year.

You can't simply put together a new set on a couple of weeks' notice. You have to prepare dies, get approvals, order packaging, etc.

Same coins, different product packaging. No excess capacity needed, just another packaging contract. Any sets later sold would include coins struck from the same dies (likely struck at the time of the original release) and would only require ordering packaging.

If there is going to be another set released later this year, it is ALREADY PLANNED and in pre-production right now.

Disagree. The possibilities for sets are in the pre-planning stage but only as a contingency for unsold coins struck from unique planchets. Implementation cannot begin until the number and type of unsold individual coins (or remaining planchets) becomes known. For this reason I suspect any sets will not be announced until after completion of sales for at least the first four coins.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 7:57AM

@jmlanzaf said:

In 5 months, the price could be below issue price. If the market price drops, you will have thousands of cancellations. It is quite possible that this issue is sold out tomorrow and then still available at Christmas. [See 2017 Enhanced Uncirculated sets for reference]

I remember those Enhanced Uncirculated sets what exciting times back then buying all them fancy graded labeled sets!!!!! In fact I still have all them fancy graded labeled sets that I spent BIG MONEY on back then! :'(:/:o I am going to leave them to my grand daughter with a special note to get the big bucks on these after I am gone! o:)

This discussion has been closed.