Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

****OFFICIAL 2021 Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar thread*****

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 8:05AM

Little to no chance that silver market price drops in this year's economic environment. If anything, prices on the later coins, although currently at a record premium, may rise before their sale date.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob9874 said:
    Those buying just 1 for yourself, are you sending it in to be graded? I'd like it graded, but want a 70. Big risk if I buy from mint and have it graded. But cheaper than buying a 70 on eBay later. Torn.

Nope. Will keep on OGP.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

I just got an email saying item now available in subject line then at noon in body. Strange.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 8:17AM

Is anyone else surprised that the Mint isn't milking this for all it's worth and doing D and S versions of the Peace Dollar as well? Also, it appears the phone system will be open for this one. Anyone going that route, or multitasking with phone and computer simultaneously to get CC and O versions? Curious

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,662 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinnmore said:
    @jmlanzaf said:

In 5 months, the price could be below issue price. If the market price drops, you will have thousands of cancellations. It is quite possible that this issue is sold out tomorrow and then still available at Christmas. [See 2017 Enhanced Uncirculated sets for reference]

I remember those Enhanced Uncirculated sets what exciting times back then buying all them fancy graded labeled sets!!!!! In fact I still have all them fancy graded labeled sets that I spent BIG MONEY on back then! :'(:/:o I am going to leave them to my grand daughter with a special note to get the big bucks on these after I am gone! o:)

I just sold a couple of sets of 69s. Toward the tail end, I bought a couple dozen graded 69 sets for $50 each. I'm down to about 6 sets.

I still think that is an attractive looking set. But Mint products ... sigh...

• Options
    MWKMWK Posts: 61 ✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 8:37AM

@telephoto1 said:
    Is anyone else surprised that the Mint isn't milking this for all it's worth and doing D and S versions of the Peace Dollar as well? Also, it appears the phone system will be open for this one. Anyone going that route, or multitasking with phone and computer simultaneously to get CC and O versions? Curious

I'm going to make a reasonable effort to buy one each of the two Morgan dollars going on sale today using my computer. I've already logged in to my U.S. Mint account, have a credit card registered with the account, and have two browser tabs open to the pages for the two coins. If I'm not able to get the two coins today, I'm not going to bother with the rest of the series.

This is what I did with the proof American Silver Eagles released this year and I was easily able to purchase one coin. I'm not expecting anything different with the Morgan dollars but, of course, I could be wrong as I was with the enhanced reverse proof ASE, which I couldn't even successfully put into my cart.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DimeDork said:

@MetroD said:

@JeffM said:
    Well, I certainly hope that I am wrong, but I am basing it on prior experience with the Mint and flippers and dealers. They will grab them and market the hell out of them (especially the dealers). I foresee e-mail after e-mail coming from the dealers offering these in all forms and combinations. The flippers will also buy these in droves because, well, that's what the flippers do. They love to boast about the hundreds of coins they bought. Then, if they can't sell them, they will complain. As I said, I hope that I am wrong. But with my experiences with the Mint, I will not even try buying them from the Mint.

PFS is offering a commission of $145.05 for ten of the 05/24/21 'privy' releases.

Link

Note - I do not know how this commission compares to prior offers.

There are offers of +$60 per coin out there (or a $600 premium for household limit of 10).

PFS is paying a pittance. I like their emails in that it gives you an idea if there is any flipping potential, but no way would I use them.

Thanks, but I use PFS in the exact same manner - to identify "flipping potential".

@HoneyMarket said:

@MetroD said:
    PFS is offering a commission of $145.05 for ten of the 05/24/21 'privy' releases.

Note - I do not know how this commission compares to prior offers.

Has anyone heard of anyone paying more than PFS?

Do you mind sharing specifics? Namely, who is offering +$60.00 per coin.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

will the hair be fully struck?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m guessing they will throw some ultra rare VAM and die marriage reproductions.

• Options
    HoneyMarketHoneyMarket Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

BST references available on request

• Options

1 minute - will this sell out or crash the Mint's website??

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:

They might change their minds

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

Bad gateway. As expected.

• Options

Damn website crashed 2 mins in!

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭

And so it begins....

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got 1 each
    USM095830xx

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gotter done. Separate orders free shipping

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    MWKMWK Posts: 61 ✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 9:08AM

@Raufus said:
    Bad gateway. As expected.

Irritating as all heck. I got that after I had clicked the Place Order button. I've no idea whether my order was completed or not.

Buying these coins is turning into quite an unpleasant adventure. :(

• Options

Confirm order. Then bad gateway. Ugh

• Options
    TrumboTrumbo Posts: 91 ✭✭✭

Crash

• Options

I can't believe that the Mint has not yet changed their web service to use Amazon Web Services! What a joke of a website.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 9:10AM

Gateway error I haven't seen before. A few moments of anxiety but success. I hate the mint's computers !

edit to add
    Email received

• Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

This is fun. NOT

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have crashed as well, Gateway Error...

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    RockdogzRockdogz Posts: 145 ✭✭✭

Gateway error twice when checking out, then successful. :sweat_smile:

• Options

Bad gateway at every turn. Buying clubs must b in high gear

• Options
    CoinnmoreCoinnmore Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 9:11AM

My 100 BOTS got through though! :s

SERVER CRASH!

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

Was able to add both coins to my cart and check out with no issues!!

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ordered what I wanted :)

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Typical Mint flusterclock

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@d9lowe said:
    Was able to add both coins to my cart and check out with no issues!!

Wow. No idea how.

• Options
    DimeDorkDimeDork Posts: 33 ✭✭✭

got em both after 10 minutes or so.

:)

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 9:14AM

Farthest I've gotten is confirm before bad gateway

Wish they didn't disable pp for these.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

somehow I purchased 2 CC

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

...Finally!!!

Got em!

10 each!

...now, what to do with em'!

• Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭

shows still in cart even after I checked out, in orders it says processing? Oh well wait and see
    Al

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 9:16AM

Bad gateway

The web server reported a bad gateway error.
    Ray ID: 6547d3a66d4d4d9d
    Your IP address: xxxxxxxxx
    Error reference number: 502
    Cloudflare Location: San Jose

• Options
    TequilaDaveTequilaDave Posts: 271 ✭✭✭

Whew.....got my 20 just by the hair of my teeth! Damn that was a PITA!!

• Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

It took me 5 tries to order 2 of each coin... smh

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

Still can't check out. Get to the Final submit, then the next page says "page not found". Checking my email and credit card website to make sure no charge went through. Nothing.

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

Today is the first day for the CC-mint marked 2021 Morgan. Of course the Web site is Bunged. Phone number is busy and web site is broken.

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options

Got to order processing and then timed out. Ugh!

• Options
    rooksmithrooksmith Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

“When you don't know what you're talking about, it's hard to know when you're finished.” - Tommy Smothers
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took 17 minutes.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    MJ1927MJ1927 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 9:22AM

US Mint servers today are feeling very Sound of Silence-esque

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

interesting that a 200,000 mintage release would cause issues. I forgot these were even releasing today.
    Looks like their site is down. Whatever, I'll try later.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MrBearMrBear Posts: 379 ✭✭✭

I just got two of each. The website crashed several times, but I just hit the "refresh" button and it came back up. The one thing that was annoying was on the checkout page. I selected my credit card from the dropdown list, but it didn't fill in the CC info. I was about to key in the number, but tried again, and this time it populated.

One question for everyone...the last time I ordered stuff from the mint (quite a few years ago) the shipping & billing addresses had to be the same. Is this the case? I'd rather have my package sent to my PO box, not my house.

Occasionally successful coin collector.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

Multiple failures, then finally completed after 17 minutes. 10 of the CC privys. Confirmation page and the email, too. Like a previous poster said, "now what?"

This discussion has been closed.