Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are silver prices going to go through the roof? 🚀

Panda4456Panda4456 Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
edited January 30, 2021 3:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Will this affect the prices of our coins? It looks like these piece of trash hedgefund managers are purposely trying to push down prices to try to make our commodities worthless so that they stuff their own pockets. It looks like Wallstreetbets is going to start buying silver to pressure these hedgefunds into covering their shorts. Silver prices are going to go to the moon 🚀

What are your thoughts? A good time to stack junk silver ?

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

It definitely impacts the price on the low end coins. The highly collectible ones are already far above bullion that it would take a lot for it to change.

Time to stack? That’s a personal decision. I have chosen to sell on the way up. I may even be able to finally unload some war nickels soon.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    too much money required for reddit to corner the market

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

• Options

It’s all about the short squeeze though. even if Reddit pushes prices up a few dollars that will force billionaires to cover their shares making the price go 🚀

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HashTag said:
    Let’s not forget the Hunt brothers from Dallas in the 80’s. Over $50 million and they lost there behinds. Flip side is silver has looong been manipulated. NOT a fact that I’m aware of but have heard for years that there’s more contracts than physical silver on earth. I personally am still buying.

The Hunt Bros were wrecked by government intervention.

Physical silver is not easy for government to have any effect. They could quit selling eagles but the silver would still get into the market.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Panda4456 said:
    Are we going to see 1000/ounce silver in the coming weeks? 😂

my guess would be abso no - I can't see B&Ms buying what you wanna sell even if it was $100/oz short term, let alone hundreds of $/oz - mine wouldn't at least - I think they'd see it as a flare and maybe offer 50c on the dollar for spot at that point - if that

my B&M guy won't offer anything close to spot for palladium [understand we're now talking abt a completely different metal]; he sees it as too volatile to give anything close to spot

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Haha we will see!

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭✭✭

More ounces of silver in the world than stock shares of all companies. Probably not, but it seems that way.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Based on your sig' line and your pump for the wannabe brokerage, it looks like you'll try. Good luck with that.

My son called the other day about this same situation. I told him stacking is one thing (he knows), but to be careful with his DCA's.

I stack real, and I play paper. I'm all for gains when I'm long, and drops when I'm short ... and the last seven months have been very good ..., but the volatility and requirements of an attempted short squeeze of the magnitude required is going to crush some people.

And I would suspect, if you try, the real pain coming won't be for the producers who have sold contracts, or the banks who hedge both ways and three times over on Sunday, or even the paper kings who push the futures market. I have a feeling the real pain will be for the unprepared who want to play with big money.

The markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. In fact, solvency will be key, and the market can turn hard, on anyone. Even five or six days, with leverage, will crush you. In that respect, this time is not different.

my 2c

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

HMMM!! Paper money or silver? What is your choice? :):):)

• Options
    Mdcoincollector2003Mdcoincollector2003 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 6:19PM

changed my mind after reading some more articles. Disregard this post.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

At that price I would sell!! 🙂

Ken
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do I remember that silver usually traded at 16 to 1 (gold to silver)? If that could be done silver would top $115.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Reddit group is targeting silver next. According to WSJ

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty said:
    Based on your sig' line and your pump for the wannabe brokerage, it looks like you'll try. Good luck with that.

My son called the other day about this same situation. I told him stacking is one thing (he knows), but to be careful with his DCA's.

I stack real, and I play paper. I'm all for gains when I'm long, and drops when I'm short ... and the last seven months have been very good ..., but the volatility and requirements of an attempted short squeeze of the magnitude required is going to crush some people.

And I would suspect, if you try, the real pain coming won't be for the producers who have sold contracts, or the banks who hedge both ways and three times over on Sunday, or even the paper kings who push the futures market. I have a feeling the real pain will be for the unprepared who want to play with big money.

The markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent. In fact, solvency will be key, and the market can turn hard, on anyone. Even five or six days, with leverage, will crush you. In that respect, this time is not different.

my 2c

At some point, they are going to throw a few of these reddit bozos in jail. Conspiring to manipulate the price of securities isn't legal. And the pump and dump has been illegal forever.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think any dealers in their right mind would buy silver bullion at $100/ounce let alone $1k!

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Panda4456 said:
    It’s all about the short squeeze though. even if Reddit pushes prices up a few dollars that will force billionaires to cover their shares making the price go 🚀

I don't think you realize how many contracts get traded. Commodity contracts are a much bigger market than Gamestop.

It works both ways. You think you can force a billionaire to cover. What happens when the market forces you to cover? You don't have a billion bucks behind your position.

When the reddit folks are forced to sell their long positions into a dropping market, you will send silver through the floor not the roof.

• Options

@AUandAG said:
    Do I remember that silver usually traded at 16 to 1 (gold to silver)? If that could be done silver would top $115.

More typically 35:1

But you can get there both ways. If gold drops to $1000, you are also at 35ish to one.

• Options

@Panda4456 said:
    Haha we will see!

Do a little research. On Friday alone, 180,000 silver contracts traded. Each contract represents 5000 ounces of silver. That is 900 MILLION OUNCES of silver that traded on Friday alone.

You can buy a 5000 ounce contract, but if your billionaire frenemies push it down $1, you're going to have to cover the $5000 margin call. How many of those reddit boys will be able to hold that position when it is $5000 or more under water?

• Options
    ike126ike126 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that would ever happen.. Everybody said silver was gonna go nuts after joe Biden got in and it hasn't done much... Wall st bets isnt gonna play with physical bullion

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    reddit will need somewhere close to $750,000,000 to $1,000,000,000 just to buy the ASE from the mint.

I don't see reddit cornering the silver market

They wouldn't do it with physical silver. They would do it with options and futures contracts. But the volume of those is even greater.

• Options

@cladking said:

@HashTag said:
    Let’s not forget the Hunt brothers from Dallas in the 80’s. Over $50 million and they lost there behinds. Flip side is silver has looong been manipulated. NOT a fact that I’m aware of but have heard for years that there’s more contracts than physical silver on earth. I personally am still buying.

The Hunt Bros were wrecked by government intervention.

Physical silver is not easy for government to have any effect. They could quit selling eagles but the silver would still get into the market.

This is true and people forget. What happened once can happen again.

If the Fed decides to put an end to the Reddit Insurrection, they can just sell a trillion dollars worth of silver contracts and watch the reddit folks scurry to cover their margin calls.

They could also do a version of what happened on Thursday. The only way to move silver is with paper silver not coins. Once the reddit folks pile into silver contracts (like the Hunts) the government just does what they did to the Hunts - prevent them from closing their contracts.

Contracts are heavily leveraged...and leverage kills when it turns against you.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the junk crypto dogecoin inflation they created, on top of Amc, game stop, etc, they truly could have enough to inflate silver if enough are on the same page about it.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Say silver goes up to even $100 an ounce...how long can that price be sustained and who is buying physical silver at that price?

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@privatecoin said:
    After the junk crypto dogecoin inflation they created, on top of Amc, game stop, etc, they truly could have enough to inflate silver if enough are on the same page about it.

The entire market cap of GME, even after they pushed it up 10x, is only $25 billion. The silver market is 100x bigger than that.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 6:59PM

So tell me what happened to gold in the 30's?
    The good old boys took it all back.
    If silver goes to $1000.00 an ounce what would prevent them from doing the same again?
    Just my thoughts.

and as if on cue posted on Facebook
    United States Mint:
    ·
    On this date 1/30/1934, the Gold Reserve Act (signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt) withdraws gold coins from circulation, provides for the devaluation of the dollar’s gold content, and creates the Exchange Stabilization Fund. https://home.treasury.gov/.../exchange-stabilization-fund
    >
    Change the word Gold to Silver and modify date enacted or better yet add silver alongside the word gold.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

They dig and refine silver from rocks and dirt at about $12 per ounce..
    It's bounced doen from 50 twice in my 53 years, once in 1979 and once in 2011.
    I'll sell every ounce if it hits $48 , whistle on the way home, and never look back.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

At some point, they are going to throw a few of these reddit bozos in jail. Conspiring to manipulate the price of securities isn't legal. And the pump and dump has been illegal forever.

I think you are confusing two things. Pump and Dump is you tell all your friends a stock is WAY undervalued and get them to buy in and then you, individually, sell your shares and leave them all hanging.

The folks on reddit are just buying stock and making it all go higher. They aren't being secretive about any of it...

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2021 7:15PM

Just waiting for that final moment when my instinct tells me ... NOW.

• Options

Is it any better for a billionaire to tell the world they are shorting a stock??

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    Is it any better for a billionaire to tell the world they are shorting a stock??

Morally? Probably not. There is a very fuzzy line between sharing information and price manipulation. A lot of it depends on intent which is hard to assess.

But I don't think this is even close. This isn't a bunch of Gamestop lovers buying positions for the long term. They intentionally declared war on the institutional shorts. They don't care about the company. They didn't make the decision based on the strength of the company (unlike your billionaire who sensed weakness). They made the decision to intentionally create a short squeeze to manipulate the price to profit from that price manipulation.

It's kind of funny and amusing - since I'm not short GME. But after I stopped laughing, I started to realize how dangerous this behavior is and why it is criminal in the first place.

They could easily (temporarily) crash any small to mid-cap stock. And if they wanted to throw more money in, they could probably tank Apple and Microsoft also. That's why Warren Buffet called derivatives "financial weapons of mass destruction". You don't need a lot of money to trade options or futures which have built-in leverage. In this case, they were using cheap, way out of the money calls to push the price.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    too much money required for reddit to corner the market

I wouldn't be so sure about that...

In the context of financial markets, the silver market is puny. It wouldn't be hard to do this by buying up physical; buy futures contracts and then take physical delivery.

Not directed to your post, but the reason most traders deal in paper silver (such as SLV and futures) is because they don't want to own the physical metal; mostly meal bugs and coin collectors generally do. Everyone else is speculating on price changes and the object of the speculation is of no relevance to them. For every long futures there has to be an offsetting short position, nothing unusual about it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Last one holding GME shares loses. At some point, there will be a race for the exits.

This

These people may be having fun now but the overwhelming majority are going to be bag holders. There will be no widespread victory for the little guy. Maybe some of them don't care but to believe most won't later is contrary to common sense. Once the price crashes and they are left as bag holders, any "victory" will be meaningless

• Options

@Baley said:
    They dig and refine silver from rocks and dirt at about $12 per ounce..
    It's bounced doen from 50 twice in my 53 years, once in 1979 and once in 2011.
    I'll sell every ounce if it hits $48 , whistle on the way home, and never look back.

This is why any attempt to artificially inflate the price will fail.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@privatecoin said:

The entire market cap of GME, even after they pushed it up 10x, is only $25 billion. The silver market is 100x bigger than that.

Not sure about that. Most silver isn't sitting around in coin and bar form waiting to be bought like gold. More will be available at higher prices but to my knowledge, it's a very low fraction of $2.5 trillion. It's been several years but the last time I checked, the annual production allocated to "investor" products is worth less than $10B at current prices.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:

Either that or gold is way overpriced and should be about $410. :)

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which billionaires are heavily short silver? And why? Same with garbage crypto like dogecoin. Do these guys not understand why buying GME actually worked? 1. Almost 100% of the float was short, 2. the stock was relatively illiquid, and 3. nobody was paying attention.
    None of that is true now.

• Options

@WCC said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@privatecoin said:

Not sure about that. Most silver isn't sitting around in coin and bar form waiting to be bought like gold. More will be available at higher prices but to my knowledge, it's a very low fraction of $2.5 trillion. It's been several years but the last time I checked, the annual production allocated to "investor" products is worth less than $10B at current prices.

I'm not talking about physical silver. I'm talking about paper silver. They're are trillions of ounces in contracts

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@scubafuel said:
    Which billionaires are heavily short silver? And why? Same with garbage crypto like dogecoin. Do these guys not understand why buying GME actually worked? 1. Almost 100% of the float was short, 2. the stock was relatively illiquid, and 3. nobody was paying attention.
    None of that is true now.

According to Ted Butler there are several large banks massively short on silver. There are more shorts than there is silver.

Prices have been moving up partly on inflation fears but largely because there just isn't enough physical metal to cover all the demand from industry and from investors. The shorts are already in trouble and a buying panic will ensue if these shorts try to cover before they have even more massive losses.

Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file