Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

October 2020 Purchases! Show us your new additions!

1235»

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@HalfNipponese said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@HalfNipponese said:
    At long last I was able to find a 1986 Topps Roger Clemens Blue Streak error. It’s off center but I’ll take what I can get.

On to the Seaver next?

I hope to come across one some day.

Wilkerson on your radar? He has the same, but not publicized that much due to, obviously less popularity. I suspect there are others ;)

Finally located my copy of the Wilkerson. I haven't tried tracking down an image of the uncut sheet to see if this is adjacent to the Clemens or Seaver ...

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oohhh Bob, I really like that Morant plate! Sig is right on the plate instead of an abominable sticker. Congrats!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@HalfNipponese said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@HalfNipponese said:
    At long last I was able to find a 1986 Topps Roger Clemens Blue Streak error. It’s off center but I’ll take what I can get.

On to the Seaver next?

I hope to come across one some day.

Wilkerson on your radar? He has the same, but not publicized that much due to, obviously less popularity. I suspect there are others ;)

Finally located my copy of the Wilkerson. I haven't tried tracking down an image of the uncut sheet to see if this is adjacent to the Clemens or Seaver ...

It's not even on the same sheet. Wilkerson is on the A sheet. Clemens and Seaver are on the D sheet.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DBesse27 said:
    Oohhh Bob, I really like that Morant plate! Sig is right on the plate instead of an abominable sticker. Congrats!

thanks, dan! hope all is well.

really like the contenders line and the uniformity across all the sports in general. ironically enough, i hit the zion red /49 auto in the next box. if psa would get their orders in order, i'd post a pic.

never thought i'd get a redemption returned before an express sub! all bets off in 2020, i guess.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Picked this one up. Hand numbered 23/25.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

AL Batting Title in 1993, 3 gold gloves at first base, 2x WS champ with the Blue Jays in 92 and 93. 17 years in the bigs, 500 doubles. In 2016, Olerud was named Pac-12 Player of the Century. Went right from college to the majors. Olerud is a cousin of retired MLB player Dale Sveum.

First thing you may think of when you hear Olerud is the wearing of the batting helmet in the field.. Well, he was known for wearing a batting helmet in the field as a precaution, due to the aneurysm he suffered at age twenty.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

took delivery of these recently....

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

deets on that top wade?

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

More beloved Bronx Bombers

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited October 29, 2020 6:57PM

I had a feeling a better and more appropriate pic was coming! 😉

the 52b was the hardest and last one I acquired. passing over 2 examples early on in my run will forever haunt me. In for a reholder but will post whenever she gets back. congrats on pegging that down already. for me, that’s a huge accomplishment and worthy of notation. big congrats on that.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2020 7:01PM

Thank you, sir. It was your mentioning of its difficulty a ways back that prompted me to check the population data. Then after viewing the available images of past sold examples on VCP, I realized the pickings were slim indeed and had to jump on one if it surfaced.

I have a feeling that after the Goldin example closes this weekend, it will only get harder to reel in a signed 52 Bowman. I can't imagine the great feeling you must get looking at the whole run signed, what a massive collecting accomplishment!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that 52B Mick!

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

@DM23HOF said:
    Thank you, sir. It was your mentioning of its difficulty a ways back that prompted me to check the population data. Then after viewing the available images of past sold examples on VCP, I realized the pickings were slim indeed and had to jump on one if it surfaced.

I have a feeling that after the Goldin example closes this weekend, it will only get harder to reel in a signed 52 Bowman. I can't imagine the great feeling you must get looking at the whole run signed, what a massive collecting accomplishment!

reliving the run thru you, I’ve thought about who has/had it tougher. kinda different animals. as blue flip service was still avail back then, kinda made the hunt very different knowing I would be crossing and going for card grade. several of mine were risks, but calculated ones. sure prices were lower, but man there was hardly any serious competition either. I had the luxury of being able to sit back and bide my time to a certain degree. zero concerns towards the end about grabbing something to fill the hole and feeling confident that an upgrade was feasible at any moment.

but today and now w blue service extinct, a majority already crossed w the card now being graded as the norm plus the emergence of the “historical autograph-only-grade collector market who could really care less about the card grade, rather their focus is solely on obtaining that dna 10 grade” mixed w/ just seeing some of the cards go at auction and realizing just how stiff the competition is out there, i don’t envy you one bit. well I do, but you get what im saying. like I said, it just seems like a totally different animal and hunt. and so far, your hunt has been spectacular. it’s been fun watching from the sidelines. I feel like the married dude who’s watching his friend slay it in the club!

• Options

Well said, thanks for the encouragement. It is a hobby mountain worth climbing. And that is one hell of a great analogy! I know exactly what you mean— will do my best to slay before the lights come on!

• Options
    edited October 29, 2020 9:18PM

@yankeesman said:
    Was able to nail down a toughie for my Topps Rookie Cup autograph set. This one gets me complete from 1960 to 1995 and only 34 to go in total.

And completely random pickup. One day I hope to build a home bar and the Official Beer of Yankee Stadium beer tap seemed like a good place to start on the accessories.

Yanks, are you doing all the rookie cups from every set over the years? And signed as well? I tried doing just the rookie cup cards about ten years ago. Got pretty close. Also learned about some interesting players who had some great unsung seasons. One guy who comes to mind was Jim Gentile. What a stud first two seasons that guy had. Never heard of him until I came across his trophy cup card. Would love to see pics of that whole run you're doing. I'd imagine there are some brutally tough/rare signed cards to find in that whole run. I'm 44 now and remember the thrill of opening 87 Topps when I was a kid. I started collecting in 86 and that series did not have the cup. So when they brought it back in 87 I was pumped anytime I pulled a Worrell or Ruffin or Canseco or Joyner. The sight of that cup made the pack a huge win.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2020 2:16AM

and for todd’s enjoyment and continuity purposes here’s my ‘62 and ‘56:

quick story on my ‘56 thought process. remember the decision vividly. there were three options available at the time. other 2 were horrifically oc, but all 3 were sharpies. mine above was blue flipped but was the best centered version I had ever seen. and I scoured the internet just for pics a lot. however it does have that paper loss at the top. kinda discreet mixing w the stands and border but still significant none the less. I knew i was limited to a 1 at best on the grade out. other two were in red “a” flips so there was zero risk on those actually being authentic cards, while the blue flip coulda been, getting back to that calculated risk thing i was hitting on earlier. as far as the 2 red flipped “a’s”, I don’t think were altered or anything, but back then “a’s” were kinda the norm. those 2 probably woulda 3 or 4’d grade-wise. the decision was so damn nerve wracking. what to do? obviously I’m shooting for the highest overall gpa but you’re a centering nut too, so you get it. in fact reliving it right now probably cements that i finally feel confident in the decision of giving up the grade for the eye appeal. 😉

• Options
    edited October 30, 2020 2:25AM

forgot the 55b.

and damn, claw! you HAVE been on a roll!

can’t blame you coming out guns blazing and knocking them out when you see them! smart man.

• Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:

@yankeesman said:
    Was able to nail down a toughie for my Topps Rookie Cup autograph set. This one gets me complete from 1960 to 1995 and only 34 to go in total.

And completely random pickup. One day I hope to build a home bar and the Official Beer of Yankee Stadium beer tap seemed like a good place to start on the accessories.

Yanks, are you doing all the rookie cups from every set over the years? And signed as well? I tried doing just the rookie cup cards about ten years ago. Got pretty close. Also learned about some interesting players who had some great unsung seasons. One guy who comes to mind was Jim Gentile. What a stud first two seasons that guy had. Never heard of him until I came across his trophy cup card. Would love to see pics of that whole run you're doing. I'd imagine there are some brutally tough/rare signed cards to find in that whole run. I'm 44 now and remember the thrill of opening 87 Topps when I was a kid. I started collecting in 86 and that series did not have the cup. So when they brought it back in 87 I was pumped anytime I pulled a Worrell or Ruffin or Canseco or Joyner. The sight of that cup made the pack a huge win.

Yep doing the whole run from 1960 to today all signed. I have a website that has them up if you'd like to check it out: www.questfortherookiecup.com. I've found the same thing with the cards since I started it. So many amazing stories of guys that were absolutely elite briefly but ultimately had short careers. The biggest challenge left on this is the Asian players. They are at least somewhat achievable while they're in the states but once their careers are over here it's almost impossible and they seem to be reluctant signers as a group. Tsuyoshi Shinjo and Kazuhiro Sasaki are two from the early 2000s that will be tough - especially Shinjo. Thanks for the kind words!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭

That 55 Bowman Mantle is spectacular! What an amazing run!!

Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF said:
    Also that Olerud-- what a professional hitter he was. Great approach. And looking at that perfect 9 reminds me that the best 9s are just unlucky 10s.

Thanks! Yeah, in 93 he batted .363 over 158 games. Now that is impressive!

• Options
    hankcaddyhankcaddy Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Added a few for my 2020 team set

currently collecting baseball of
    2004 spx
    1989 topps psa 10
    1959 phillies
    Phillies of the 70's
  • Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 599 ✭✭✭✭

Some monster pickups and purchases made wow :*

Posting a few 1998 Mark McGwire HR History that came back. As my prior posts have shown I've subbed these piecemeal as I am working on the set of McGwire only. With the return of these 5 slabs I am down to just 4 Mac's left and I'd have to check on where they are ( I know card # 7 is in grading not sure on the other 3 left)
    Been a slow slog as these have to be done in spurts as I like mixing resale in with PC items when I sub. Sorta pays for future subs that way

I am fine with PSA 9 and 10 on Pacific stuff as its incredibly difficult the way they were produced . I'll eventually upgrade all the 8's. Without further ado the recent 5 slabs back. Will be great when I finally finish been 18 months of bulks piece mealing each time

• Options

jersey numbered topps chrome baller gold and blue refractors:

• Options
    MphilkingMphilking Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭

WOW! Nice!!

@UFFDAH said:
    Teamed up with 2 other unopened collectors to take down a FRITSCH 1977 Topps Baseball Cloth Case!!

Here are my 6 boxes all wrapped BBCE FASC (Fritsch Vault).

In my humble opinion I think 1977 Topps Cloth is one of the coolest card products ever produced. The graphics/content on a 77 Topps Cloth case, the boxes, the pack wrappers and importantly the cards themselves are desirable all the way through!! Eye popping, colorful vintage at its finest.

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yankeesman said:

Yep doing the whole run from 1960 to today all signed. I have a website that has them up if you'd like to check it out: www.questfortherookiecup.com. I've found the same thing with the cards since I started it. So many amazing stories of guys that were absolutely elite briefly but ultimately had short careers. The biggest challenge left on this is the Asian players. They are at least somewhat achievable while they're in the states but once their careers are over here it's almost impossible and they seem to be reluctant signers as a group. Tsuyoshi Shinjo and Kazuhiro Sasaki are two from the early 2000s that will be tough - especially Shinjo. Thanks for the kind words!

I will say that the most enjoyment that I have ever had keying in a sub was entering your rookie cup cards. My jaw just kept dropping as I would make my way through the, BTW, all are still in the research and ID phase. :|

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    Teamed up with 2 other unopened collectors to take down a FRITSCH 1977 Topps Baseball Cloth Case!!

Here are my 6 boxes all wrapped BBCE FASC (Fritsch Vault).

>

just sold one of these from the last bbce fasc case break from a couple years back.

• Options
    edited October 30, 2020 8:23PM

@blurryface said:
    and for todd’s enjoyment and continuity purposes here’s my ‘62 and ‘56:

quick story on my ‘56 thought process. remember the decision vividly. there were three options available at the time. other 2 were horrifically oc, but all 3 were sharpies. mine above was blue flipped but was the best centered version I had ever seen. and I scoured the internet just for pics a lot. however it does have that paper loss at the top. kinda discreet mixing w the stands and border but still significant none the less. I knew i was limited to a 1 at best on the grade out. other two were in red “a” flips so there was zero risk on those actually being authentic cards, while the blue flip coulda been, getting back to that calculated risk thing i was hitting on earlier. as far as the 2 red flipped “a’s”, I don’t think were altered or anything, but back then “a’s” were kinda the norm. those 2 probably woulda 3 or 4’d grade-wise. the decision was so damn nerve wracking. what to do? obviously I’m shooting for the highest overall gpa but you’re a centering nut too, so you get it. in fact reliving it right now probably cements that i finally feel confident in the decision of giving up the grade for the eye appeal. 😉

At first quick glance on your '56, I honestly did not see the paper loss— talk about a serendipitous location on the card for that. Really amazing how it blends with both the stand imagery and the border. The centering, corners, image, and the bold sig really draw the eye, and you should feel 100% confident that card was the right pick. Tremendous '56. Eye appeal all day, every day for me over anything typed on the flip, especially with these signed cards. And that '56 has it in spades.

And GOOD LORD on that 55 bro— the odds of a 55 Bowman being centered and in that condition AND signed? That card is phenomenal.

Saw your 52T signed earlier— love that write up! I'm gonna need one with a faint little wrinkle in it, ideally in the border like on my unsigned one. For a signed 52T like yours I could trade out everything non-Mantle in my collection and still not get there. '62 is real beast also and one I was itching to lock in; always loved that one with the tough wood borders, the OG ancestor of the 87s I grew up with.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 12:52AM

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2020 12:52AM

Finally got one of these again! These are some great cards! Leaf really was ahead of the pack with ideas.... This actually feels like a baseball! Great card!!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface

That was a great/fun break!! My box from that break is coming up on Heritage.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DM23HOF and @blurryface

Incredible signed Mantles. I sometimes wish I would have picked up some signed 60s baseball cards in addition to my AFL stuff, but you can't have everything...

I did pick up this latest edition of the Panini Spectra HOF cards. With my connection to Johnny Robinson, it's pretty cool to see new cards issued that show him as a HOF.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2020 7:32AM

@blurryface said:
    deets on that top wade?

2007 Topps Hawaii Mainland Trade Conference 1957 Variation Auto Promo /25. All are terribly off center and horribly cut (looks undersize). I got a Vince Carter too.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Adding to my Cowboy rookies.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    edited October 31, 2020 10:24PM

@DM23HOF said:
    Random eBay browsing...luckily came across just as it listed. Too pretty to pass up!

random ebay browsing just cost me $1500, but its gonna be money well spent. pics to come once delivered lol. beautiful card by the way. I still need a Mick in my PC.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

I was able to get a great deal on these. I had no clue this parallel set existed and now I've managed to grab 9 of them.

Visit :)MyRareCards.com :) to see my publicly curated collection. I'm currently in open beta so please PM me any suggestions. The only point of the site is to share my favorite cards and manage my collection. Optimized for mobile devices.