Home U.S. Coin Forum

Post a Favorite Mercury Dime

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 29, 2020 3:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Unless I have missed it, it's been a while since there has been a nice quality Mercury Dime thread where folks post a favorite. I don't have many quality Mercury Dimes these days but I still have this one that I like very much. It is not currently recognized as variety in the PCGS Complete Variety Set but maybe one day? I can always hope.

I got this from Glenn Holsonbake at https://www.americanararecoin.com/ in 2013 when it was in an NGC non-variety attributed holder with CAC and crossed it to PCGS (non-variety) in the same grade (it has not revisited CAC though). The RPM is pretty darn cool. I photographed the coin prior to sending it to PCGS for True View etc. My photos are much more accurate and strangely enough the RPM does not show up well in the TV, No big deal. The coin is not anywhere close to dark or CAM/DCAM like the TV shows for the obverse. Anyway, here are the images.

Please post a favorite Mercury Dime of yours. :smile:

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't PCGS start attributing PL Mercs? Anyone have any to share?

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some cool dimes in this thread!

The 1919 posted by @CoinJunkie has to be unique for the date as this date doesn't often come with appreciable color, in my experience. The 1943-D by @erwindoc might have been a coin I held for viewing many, many years ago when the owner shared it with me. I also adore the 1921-D posted by @CoinHoarder.

However, my absolute favorite in this thread thus far is the 1943-S by @P0CKETCHANGE. What a coin! It reminds me somewhat of a WQ I sold 20+ years ago that I have been searching for to reacquire.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

@Fairlaneman Nice Ken. Dice cracks, polish lines...and clashed dies on Mercs are always awesome to find!

@Sandman70gt said:
    @keyman64
    Cool that you're showin some mercs again. I am still using your pop chart. Spent some time with some old fashioned green sheets and did some personal updates for building my variety set.
    Not as vibrant as TomB's
    These are a couple of my favs

It has certainly been a while. I even just changed my icon to the coin I posted in this thread. Your 1943-D is really really beautiful, I really like it. And yes, @TomB hardly ever posts anything short perfection. That 39-D is certainly something to drool over.

@david3142 & @robec

Very Nice! B)

@DIMEMAN said:
    Greg - I like your new atavar. Here is just one of my fav Mercs.

Thanks Jon. That's a good one, for sure! I should review some population numbers one day. Is that one still tough to find?

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Thanks Jon. That's a good one, for sure! I should review some population numbers one day. Is that one still tough to find?

Yes, pretty tough. But not as tough as the 1941 DDO!!! :D

@DIMEMAN said:

@keyman64 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Yes, pretty tough. But not as tough as the 1941 DDO!!! :D

:'(:'(:'(

@pursuitofliberty Nice, Todd. I do like the 34-D date for some reason.

@android01 Really nice color!

@coinbuf Small photos of the coin but dang that looks pretty sweet.

@coinbuf Nice 1930! The obv has great color...not common for the date, that's for sure.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @keyman64 ... good to see you! I like the 42-S you opened with. A little fire on that reverse!

There are some sweet ones in here, for sure.

And mmmmm ... I like that 30 @coinbuf

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

@Kyle That coin is sweet. Your 1964 Quarter isn't too shabby either. Well done. B)

• KyleKyle Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks! I bought it, and that 1935-S that @robec posted above raw from a seller on eBay.

Successful BST Transactions With: tonedase, streg2, airplanenut, coindeuce, vibr0nic, natetrook, Shrub68, golden, Lakesammman, drddm, Ilikecolor, CoinJunkie, wondercoin, lablover

Nice @ernie11 B)

• Wow @TomB Your 1939-D is incredible. Do you have a slab shot you can post of it?

@rainbowroosie said:
    A proof

That looks cool! You need some proper photos of that thing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file