Home U.S. Coin Forum

End of World War II 75th Anniversary American Eagle Silver Proof (20XF) & Gold Proof Coin (20XE)

Comments

• nagsnags Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

@CXD said:
    I was just hoping we all could get along and have some fun :p
    For Christ's sake we are just talking coins here!
    People should get it out their head that they "deserve" a coin.

None of these activities are life changing events.....for me it's just entertainment folks..... B)

I'm glad that the mint's rules don't apply for you and some other people. No one "deserves" to get a hot item. Get your one, be happy with it, and move one with your life.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@nags said:

@RichR said:
    Re getting multiples...most of us would try for more than 1...I know I would/have.

But that's still different than bots getting 20!

I really hope you are wrong. I hope "most of us" aren't that greedy and desperate to make a few bucks. And, that is absolutely no different than someone using a bot to try to cheat the mint's (1) per household limit.

What difference does it make if 100 people buy 10 each to flip or 1000 people buy 1 each to flip?

You also really need to consider what the HHL means specifically and what you think constitutes "morality" in what is a fundamentally business decision:

1. If I wanted to buy 4 to give one to each of my (imaginary) children, is that better or worse than buying only one to flip?
    2. If I have all of my friends each buying one to flip to me, is that violating the HHL? After all, they each are buying one from a separate household.
    3. Why is it more moral to buy the $10k coin for $2500 to put in your collection than it is to buy the $10k to flip it? Either way you are up $7500.
  • MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

@CXD said:

None of these activities are life changing events.....for me it's just entertainment folks..... B)

Personally, I have no problem with what you are doing. I don't think it is fundamentally different than what they are doing.

Unless they want to be buried with the coin, at some point they sell it. Are they going to donate any profits from their coins to charity because it would be somehow immoral to profit from them?

@CoinMeister said:

@CXD said:

Edited to add: I should also say, when I did buy multiple items of the “hot” item in the past, it was within the limits the mint set forth at that time.

It is his mommy's household. ;)

• CXDCXD Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@CoinMeister said:

@CXD said:

Edited to add: I should also say, when I did buy multiple items of the “hot” item in the past, it was within the limits the mint set forth at that time.

It is his mommy's household. ;)

Yes! And the basement I live in, has it's own separate address! :D

@jmlanzaf said:

@nags said:

@RichR said:
    Re getting multiples...most of us would try for more than 1...I know I would/have.

I really hope you are wrong. I hope "most of us" aren't that greedy and desperate to make a few bucks. And, that is absolutely no different than someone using a bot to try to cheat the mint's (1) per household limit.

What difference does it make if 100 people buy 10 each to flip or 1000 people buy 1 each to flip?

You are suppose to buy one. Do with it whatever you want.

1. If I wanted to buy 4 to give one to each of my (imaginary) children, is that better or worse than buying only one to flip?

1. If I have all of my friends each buying one to flip to me, is that violating the HHL? After all, they each are buying one from a separate household.

Yes. That's more than one for the household and clearly in violation of the policy which includes, "order limits help us ensure that we provide fair purchase opportunities to the broadest audience possible." That's no different than order 5 with different PO boxes.

1. Why is it more moral to buy the $10k coin for $2500 to put in your collection than it is to buy the $10k to flip it? Either way you are up $7500.

@nags said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@nags said:

@RichR said:

1. If I have all of my friends each buying one to flip to me, is that violating the HHL? After all, they each are buying one from a separate household.

Yes. That's more than one for the household and clearly in violation of the policy which includes, "order limits help us ensure that we provide fair purchase opportunities to the broadest audience possible." That's no different than order 5 with different PO boxes.

1. Why is it more moral to buy the $10k coin for $2500 to put in your collection than it is to buy the $10k to flip it? Either way you are up $7500.

It is a household order limit. If you and you wife both wanted one, you couldn't both buy 1 if you live in the same household. On the other hand, if you have a summer place, you could buy two. The policy is based on addresses not individuals. 6 individuals at the same address cannot acquire 6 coins.

So, you can keep repeating "you are suppose to buy one" (sic), but that doesn't make it true. And even if it is true, having each of my 6 friends buy one and flip it IS within the rules. They are each entitled to one and each entitled to do whatever they want with the one.

It is a household order limit. If you and you wife both wanted one, you couldn't both buy 1 if you live in the same household. On the other hand, if you have a summer place, you could buy two. The policy is based on addresses not individuals. 6 individuals at the same address cannot acquire 6 coins.

So, you can keep repeating "you are suppose to buy one" (sic), but that doesn't make it true. And even if it is true, having each of my 6 friends buy one and flip it IS within the rules. They are each entitled to one and each entitled to do whatever they want with the one.

That is 100% not the intent of the household limit. It would be more accurate to say that the "enforcement" is based on address, not the "policy." I agree there are easy ways to get around the limit and many people do. I suppose the mint didn't think they needed to right their language like the tax code. I'm pretty sure I can't get my head of household deduction for each house.

@jmlanzaf said:

@nags said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@nags said:

@RichR said:

Well GOD (nags) assumes my situation does not include three individuals and three homes- but it does! Also wrong on comments about "greed" and "desperate for money", etc.. (Not nice)

Since he is the moral compass here: I wonder if he can answer the following question -

Is it morally acceptable for YOU to game the system at 7:30-7:45 when YOU know that 99% of the mint customers have no freakin clue about those potential release times? Does it feel a bit privileged with all that "inside" information that gives you the edge over all the commoners?. ;)

@nags said:

That is 100% not the intent of the household limit. It would be more accurate to say that the "enforcement" is based on address, not the "policy." I agree there are easy ways to get around the limit and many people do. I suppose the mint didn't think they needed to right their language like the tax code. I'm pretty sure I can't get my head of household deduction for each house.

If you would like to pick that particular nit, that's fine. However it is called a "household limit" and it is enforced by address, so if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.

Well GOD (nags) assumes my situation does not include three individuals and three homes- but it does! Also wrong on comments about "greed" and "desperate for money", etc.. (Not nice)

Since he is the moral compass here: I wonder if he can answer the following question -

Is it morally acceptable for YOU to game the system at 7:30-7:45 when YOU know that 99% of the mint customers have no freakin clue about those potential release times? Does it feel a bit privileged with all that "inside" information that gives you the edge over all the commoners?. ;)

So you rationalize that the household limit is predicated on the number of houses owned? So apartment dwellers are SOL I guess. “Household” is not an ambiguous term in a governmental context. A husband and wife with 4 homes is one household.

This isn’t complicated. I fully understand that no one is checking on this at the mint
    and way more orders get cancelled for crappy CC reasons than HHL violations. I’ve personally never tried to get something in the AM, but I don’t see any issues with getting your one whenever they are available. I don’t see why it would be an issue to purchase something that’s offered for sale.

I think its awesome to see the folks here that got these after the first sale date. I wish they weren’t fighting with people that have already purchase one or more of them.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread took longer than normal to turn to 💩

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can we agree to disagree?

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • RichRRichR Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are generally two types of collectors...

1. One that gets a rare coin...and tries but fails to get a second (or third).

2. One that fails to get a rare coin...but would have tried to get a second (or third)...if they could.

However, as a said before, automated bots are a plague...as are big buyers who pay people to scoop up multiples for them.

Barring No. 3...everyone on this board...and their mommy, daddy, kids, aunts, uncles, and dog would be able to get their own coins with some still left over.

Some of you should just man up and say F it the rules don’t apply to me and save the rationalization for someone who gives a ...

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

From now on you are limited to one share of stock so that everyone else can profit. Its only fair.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

I'm still trying every morning to get my ONE (desperately chased) ASE. I'd love to fill my HHL. We all know what we're up against but it's a challenge we're willing to take on. Can I talk you all into NOT logging on tomorrow morning so I can increase my chances? lol

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onedollarnohollar said:
    I'm still trying every morning to get my ONE (desperately chased) ASE. I'd love to fill my HHL. We all know what we're up against but it's a challenge we're willing to take on. Can I talk you all into NOT logging on tomorrow morning so I can increase my chances? lol

How much ya offering :p:D

I'm still going for my single AGE. :)

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

$1 per “household” or domicile (me thinks?) 🏠

@Kliao
    @Onedollarnohollar

Not over until ‘Sold Out’

@CXD said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@nags said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@nags said:

@RichR said:

It is "morally acceptable" be> @Mgarmy said:

Some of you should just man up and say F it the rules don’t apply to me and save the rationalization for someone who gives a ...

F the rules...

Except the rule is one per household. So it isn't really against the rules if mommy gets one at her household, little brother gets one at his household, etc. You think it it is against the spirit of the rules, but that is different than the letter of the rules.

You will also find people on these threads opining against flippers cuz the coin should go to a "real collector". That is also a very subjective judgment.

I5m not rationalizing what I do. I am, however, defending the morality of it.

see you all in the morning. the quest continues

Nope! I was into cheap stuff back then. CRH wheat cents was what I was doing then as I got started in coins. :)

Collector

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got lucky and beat the clock on that one

Worse than a mob fighting over Cabbage Patch Dolls

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dirt94 Those look really beautiful. I'm still trying for the AGE just like @Kliao . It's not over yet!!!!!!

• Dirt94Dirt94 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

@Onastone said:
    @Dirt94 Those look really beautiful. I'm still trying for the AGE just like @Kliao . It's not over yet!!!!!!

I wish everyone on here still trying for them the best of luck! All it takes is one lucky morning. Neither of mine came from opening day. There’s still a chance!

@Dirt94 Nice looking set! Congrats!

Collector

@Dirt94 said:

@Onastone said:

I wish everyone on here still trying for them the best of luck! All it takes is one lucky morning. Neither of mine came from opening day. There’s still a chance!

+1

• CoinMeisterCoinMeister Posts: 642 ✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@Dirt94 Nice looking set! Congrats!

Agree

"What we are never changes, but who we are ... never stops changing."

Nice dirt!

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:

And now, nobody even cares about gold Kennedys

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

@DCW said:

@HATTRICK said:

Slight hyperbole, but they aren't hot anymore.

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@Dirt94 said:

The set is officially complete! Gold arrived today!

Nice!
    Wished PCGS or others would do 2 coin Gold & Silver Eagle v75 slab.

• MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sweetpie said:
    Nice!
    Wished PCGS or others would do 2 coin Gold & Silver Eagle v75 slab.

I found this on the PCGS site: https://www.pcgs.com/news/new-from-pcgs-put-two-coins-in-one-holder

The article is NOT recent. As such, I do not know if the holder is still available.

If you are in the market, perhaps a call to CS would be worthwhile.

• ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:

@HATTRICK said:

I started collecting again in early 2017, so I just recently found out about the gold kennedy and gold merc - v much want to add those to my collection in 2021 - theyre beautiful coins

good luck everyone

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mayflower gold flipped no AGE

• no AGE, ASE dropped

Nada

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@borderlineInsane said:
    no AGE, ASE dropped

How long was ase up?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!

Nothin

Collector

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

No ASE flipped. saw 7 each of the Mayflower golds

• @Raufus said:

@borderlineInsane said:
    no AGE, ASE dropped

How long was ase up?

about a second

nada

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list