Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone want to share their new purchases?

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alefzero said:
    Finally located an Uncirculated 1877-S C-3 Broken Arrows Trade dollar. These are more typically VF/XF and half of them have problems.

Very nice! 👍

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2022 11:21PM

No. I don't want to share the horrible, environmentally damaged, cleaned, artificially toned Spanish Trail I bought that will be returned soon. Circulated STs are scarce so I felt I had to purchase the coin to examine it for my circulated commemoratives collection. However, I'm not going to throw that amt of money for a coin I don't like.

I'm not sure it's even authentic. I'll have to check the serifs and lettering.

(5 minutes later): Yup, it's a fake. It flunks the "ring" test ("dink"). and the letter serifs are wrong. Funny thing is I posted about a similar untoned fake Spanish Trail here not long ago. This one was darkly toned, and the seller's photos were poor, but I should have caught it. I stumbled across this coin shortly before auction closing, and they had a return policy, so I took that gamble. Because it's a counterfeit coin, I'll show the seller's photo of the obverse (reverse photo is too dark to see much).

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • MrweaseluvMrweaseluv Posts: 219 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@Vetter said:
    I’m such a big spender. I picked this one up for $1.50

A worn-out, over polished die Buffalo nickel? I'd have passed. >:);)

You would have passed on a 37d 3 leg buffalo for $1.50? Not the smartest thing I have heard here...

As for @Vetter Awesome pickup!!!

You may soar with the eagles, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!.
    https://www.cointalk.com/media/albums/the-2020-20-large-cent-set.1855/

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2022 12:08AM

@Mrweaseluv said:

@Barberian said:

@Vetter said:
    I’m such a big spender. I picked this one up for $1.50

A worn-out, over polished die Buffalo nickel? I'd have passed. >:);)

You would have passed on a 37d 3 leg buffalo for $1.50? Not the smartest thing I have heard here...

As for @Vetter Awesome pickup!!!

Yes. @Vetter deserves the coveted "You Suck" award for a fabulous cherry pick, no doubt. But sadly, he now has to look at that coin with a crippled buffalo often, and buffalo nickels are just so damn crude and ugly to begin with.

I'd sell it and purchase a fake Spanish Trail that's corroded, cleaned, and with ugly artificial toning on the reverse instead (see above). A coin worthy of a "You da Man!" cherry-pick award. That's when you spend over 100 times what the coin is worth.

I don't think over polished dies are all that significant, either. For example, among SLHs, there's the 1845-O no drapery...who cares? They're just over-polished dies. They're not 1839 no draperies, which should be considered a type within the series, IMO. However, based upon the market value of 37-D 3 legged buffalos, I'm in the "tasteful minority".

;)

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this date as well, passed down from uncle. I have noticed on well lit pictures that there seem to be a lot of cleaning to coins of this date (mine has/had PL surfaces but baggy and graded 53 at hosts) - can you share some better pictures in hand?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • bp777bp777 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:

@bp777 said:

That's a really "moving design" . . . . .

Z

Thank you. It’s very unique.

• FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    This one just arrived yesterday from DWN. Doug finds coins I really like. I posted the TVs in another thread. Here are some very non-professional shots. I hope to bring a few of my Early gold pieces to the 2023 Central States show to let a professional take a stab at it.

That’s a very attractive coin- I’m sure you’re enjoying it! Congratulations!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cladiator said:
    A small upgrade from my VG08 example...

Nice! Very original!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file