Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

March 2020 pickups

Comments

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I had to have a '69 Bench in a PSA-9 after my SGC-96 did not cross. Also...I could not resist this '71 Bench PSA-8.5. I just purchased these two cards today.

Two outstanding additions. The corners are razor sharp on that 69. Congrats.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Beautiful centering on the ‘62 Gibson...

Yeah that one was tough to find.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mighty Casey!

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 19, 2020 8:31AM

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Mighty Casey!

Lovely card. Casey does not look too thrilled...

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:
    I haven't been buying much the last month or so. Some of these were bought last month . I just receivied the 1969 Clemente yesterday. With the addition of the 1970 Stargell, my 1970 HOF set is complete. I need 1 card to complete my 1970 All Star set. The 1963 Fleer cards are all upgrades. The 1969 Clemente is a new addition to the collection.

Nice cards as always. Congrats on completing the ‘70 HOF set! Based on what I remember seeing each the centering of your set is exceptional! They must look amazing together. Thanks for letting us see all these great cards each month.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters That 88 Star depicted above appears to show Boggs taking a throw at second base. Curious, I had to look up his career games played by position. Unless I just missed it while scrolling through his reference page, he did not appear in a major league game as a middle infielder. He did, however, play sparingly at both second and shortstop in the minors. His uniform says Boston, though, and this appears to be a spring training pic, so either he was just goofing around at practice or perhaps they were just getting a feel for his capabilities if needed in a pinch. Nowadays, though, it's common with the utilization of all the shifts, to see third basemen taking infield practice around the second base bag.

Anyway, I like the card, and it sent me down an enjoyable rabbit hole for a bit.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I had to have a '69 Bench in a PSA-9 after my SGC-96 did not cross. Also...I could not resist this '71 Bench PSA-8.5. I just purchased these two cards today.

Awesome pickups Monte and that 71 is a monster - such a tough card. Did you get your checks from the government earlier than the rest of us 😄

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@dad2cl3 said:
    Been a slow start to the year for the main sets I’m trying to complete so I grabbed another Willie Woodburn autograph as well as some other odds and ends.

Ok so back in the 90's I collected a bunch of comics and doing so, also picked up a bunch of Wizard Magazines. Your post totally reminded me of all those cards from Wizard. My stupid mind went crazy and picked up NUMEROUS cards from that 20 card set, including a couple Vampirella's. UGH!!!! thanks!!

By the way, Vampirella looks AWESOME slabbed. Did you buy it or sub it?

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno1 they we’re purchased. The Vampirella is a POP of 1 and the Angela card is a POP of 2. Both cards reminded me I need to sub the comics for grading. High grade Spawn 8s sell pretty good and look fantastic in slabs.

I’ve subbed a bunch of Wizard Magazine cards as well bought raw ones from eBay. I have yet to land any above a 9 due mostly to surface issues.

Jason

• Options

This one isn’t slabbed... yet lol I actually have a sub packed and ready to ship off these oversized cards. Can’t get enough of the retro designs with modern players!

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2020 8:16PM

@countdouglas yes that Boggs is at spring training. He also took throws at first frequently as well.

Some more back including a few McGwire's
    Not sure why but the Classic is a Pop 1 none higher not sure why no ones subbed those yet
    Case has lint on it that's not a scratch

The next few are from the Red Sox PC sent in. The two Vaughn 1998 EX-2001s got my blood pressure up.
    You'd have to see these scans large size ( can't be seen well here) to understand why.
    The one that starts 448 is newly back. The 441 was from a few months ago.
    The other two the the Fleer Tradition is a label correction fix they did and a re-slab of a cracked slab on the Thunder
    More to follow. Still working so scanning when I'm free. Takes time between life stuff.

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still adding to my 90's Jordan run here and there.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@The_Departed said:
    Restoration complete!

Cool. I used to collect old gloves. They're a really underrated collectible, in my mind. Can you post before and after shots together? I'd love to compare the two.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VoteDizzy said:
    A couple quarantine cabin fever purchases.

I picked up the Hardaway from @shagrotn77 and is the first basketball card I've owned in ages. He was always one of my favorites in my youth, back when I followed the game.

The Jones Jr. was righting a wrong I made years ago when I sold, and immediately regretted, another PSA 10.

Those are 2 awesome cards! Never seen the Hardaway before.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

I actually had two PSA 10 '89 UTEP Hardaways. The other one is one eBay now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-90-UTEP-Tim-Hardaway-PSA-10-GEM-MINT/372997609923?hash=item56d863d9c3:g:Gc8AAOSwD3Bed65q

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    edited March 23, 2020 7:17PM

Wow, those Moon cards are superb!

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    remedylaneremedylane Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

More 48 leaf boxing. 11 more to go! I've had the Sullivan and Christofordis since Feb. Got my sub back this month. Just got the Jeffries today.

• Options

Glad to help Jason and yes those Moon cards look great slabbed !!

I do have tons more back I'll scan but also got these tickets back recently as well. As most know I PC Roger Clemens and was able to snag a few collectibles of some key games back in 2005 .

The first ticket was a particularly notable game in that Clemens threw 120+ pitches while dueling Mark Mulder in a 0-0 pitchers duel and eventually came out of the game which Mulder won in the 10th with a 10 inning complete game.

The 2nd game was on my birthday and Clemens ran into the buzz saw that was Chris Carpenter that year. Both games were tough losses. Clemens had his best ERA year that year with a 1.87 ERA . Overall I think 2 of the tougher pitched duels that year for him .

Box scores included for a little historical context

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

@dad2cl3 said:
    @dictoresno1 they we’re purchased. The Vampirella is a POP of 1 and the Angela card is a POP of 2. Both cards reminded me I need to sub the comics for grading. High grade Spawn 8s sell pretty good and look fantastic in slabs.

I’ve subbed a bunch of Wizard Magazine cards as well bought raw ones from eBay. I have yet to land any above a 9 due mostly to surface issues.

Jason

well, I just snagged myself a ton of them from that set, including two nice Vampirellas. im coming for your pop 1! lol

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Doctor showed up.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

That Nap is the sh!t ! He was from northern Rhode Island like me. Awesome card!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@Cheshirefilms said:
    My first post. Hope it's a nice community. I have a tiny collection- maybe ten cards. Couldn't pass on this in a 4. Nice eye appeal?

You doesn’t like a good Nap?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    RoflesRofles Posts: 752 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pumped for these! I was preparing some of my ‘71s for grading when psa had to close, but I found some good deals on these!

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Picked up this 1963 Berra PSA-8.5 today...

And I bought Monte’s leftover!

• Options

Love the Tony C, Yaz, Berras and Gator!

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:

@Cheshirefilms said:
    My first post. Hope it's a nice community. I have a tiny collection- maybe ten cards. Couldn't pass on this in a 4. Nice eye appeal?

You doesn’t like a good Nap?

Ty Cobb?

• Options

@dictoresno1 said:

@dad2cl3 said:

Jason

well, I just snagged myself a ton of them from that set, including two nice Vampirellas. im coming for your pop 1! lol

Good luck! Would love the company... at an appropriate distance of course! 😉

• Options

Waited three weeks for these to cross the pond...

...only to find the envelope had gotten soaked 🤬🤬🤬

• Options

@dad2cl3 said:
    Waited three weeks for these to cross the pond...

...only to find the envelope had gotten soaked 🤬🤬🤬

Well, it doesn’t seem to have ruined the autograph’s themselves - they still look great. Framed tightly, I doubt it will be noticeable to anyone but you.

But I get it; that sucks bud.

• Options

Oh and I bought another one of these! It’s like a compulsion. I just can’t stop myself!

• Options

>

Well, it doesn’t seem to have ruined the autograph’s themselves - they still look great. Framed tightly, I doubt it will be noticeable to anyone but you.

But I get it; that sucks bud.

Yeah the pages are a bit creased and still damp so they are between two paper towels under a book. Definitely agree they still look great and can’t wait to get them framed.

Jason

• Options
    edited March 25, 2020 2:00PM

The Berra is off the charts -- great pickup ! Got a bunch of jumbos myself Jason just waiting for the right time to sub em in.
    A bunch more back and caught up scanning. Disappointed in the Jeter. The Price is just a re-slab.
    Happy about the Pederson although the colors are not as expected hence the mint grade.
    Otherwise the auto is nice and dark and the card is in great condition just the surface is a little light.

The 2014 Topps 1st Edition "supposedly" has 10 redemption sets. Sent these 3 in specifically because
    I know a bunch of Bumgarner, Pierre, and Longoria collectors out there. Thought they'd appreciate.
    The redemption sets looked like the pic below. I have more I'll sub down the line from this set.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Three more 61's for the set.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got a few early MJ items in. This first one's a 9"x12" 1985 Nike folder that were either sold or giveaways at participating McDonald's. It's got the 85-86 Bulls schedule printed on the inside.

And then these two 4"x6"ish 1988 Chicago Times with MJ,Walter Payton & Andre Dawson. One is a Costacos Brothers Postcard and the other a Fasson Crack N Peel sticker.

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eric, the MJ folder is awesome, never seen that one before.

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kid4hof03 said:
    Eric, the MJ folder is awesome, never seen that one before.

Thanks. It's big,I'll have to find a huge toploader to fit it. I think they were available during the summer between his first & second season.

• Options

Some more of the ticket sub that came back. These would be of interest to @KingNascar or @Nascar360 or any Nascar fan.

If your ever able to attend an event folks on the racing circuit at the highest levels of NASCAR it is quite the experience to behold. There are various levels of seating at Daytona and the Skybox Suites (called something different now) are basically smack dab dead center and high up with comfy chairs :)

I'll post the tickets but I also do have the programs, race cheat sheets, and all the miscellaneous race day stuff as well .
    Quite the experience folks and its something that every NASCAR fan should try and do once in their lives
    Daytona week ( along with 4 or 5 other races) is just flat out nuts. It's the "Super Bowl" atmosphere- except racing .
    Loud noises , hot woman, fast cars, tons of food etc etc etc

Thursday pole qualifying and Saturdays race ( the Pepsi 400) I have the suite tickets for ( 6 total) and also have saved two "alternate" seats should any friends want to attend ( couldn't let them in to the suite as I was someone else's guest). They didn't show so I saved those 2 freebie tickets for the Lockhart Tower seating area with the program stuff.

The Pepsi 400 is a good one since racing royalty was involved DALE JARRETT won and DALE EARNHARDT SR finished 2nd
    Quite a race and had some unique occurrences as it was to my knowledge the ONLY race where Jeff Burton and Ward Burton both placed top 10. Ward's best year in NASCAR was 1999 so I consider it unique nostalgia. Others may not but I do as its a historical appreciation for unique races I like.

• Options
    VoteDizzyVoteDizzy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:
    The Pepsi 400 is a good one since racing royalty was involved DALE JARRETT won and DALE EARNHARDT SR finished 2nd

Anything Dale Jarrett is tops in my book! 👌

Hockey - Hrdina - Thunderbirds
    Wrestling - Danielson - Storm - Tajiri