PCGS #: 3980
    Description: 1937 5C
    Grade: VF30
    TrueView:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/5e/bynmlcafehxz.jpg

Lol
    Wow, I'll take that grade, thanks!
    :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,158 ✭✭✭✭✭

#143 W

2019W River of No Return

This one and the "War in the Pacific"
    are the two least of the W's I found in all the 143!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins

Congratulations on the W quarters and the Buffalo nickel! I bet your face lit up when you found the buffalo😂🤣

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old Buff nickel....and an S mint as well. Looks around XF40, might get details. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Attached Lamination

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Sunday Roll Hunters, let it roll baby roll...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE32pvvaDT8

• Options

2nd Roll of the morning, Silver Sunday, ugly but a keeper...

• Options

Nice Sunday Start, roll #3 of the morning!! Silver maybe down, but W's are holding steadily!!!

Butterflies are free to fly...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7DJVSHGjSY

• Options

@Kurisu said:
    The good news is that every time I took a break to search a couple Loomis rolls instead I found some fun things lol, I'll post those next.

But...
    A $550 customer bag of nothing lol.
    So...to fully embrace the @joeykoins roll search grading system...

The only sorta find was this super early stage Spitting Horse

Then this one in pretty nice condition caught my attention because all the rest of the batch was so junky lol

And then just to rub it all in there was one of these! :p

Oh well, time to hunt another batch.
    That smell

Will eventually go away!
    :D

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 If I am seeing the pictures right on the 2021 cent, it looks to be a defective planchet. I think I can see the zinc core of the cent in the close up pic? If it were a strike thru, there would just be an impression with no visible zinc for a strike thru of that size.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:
    @rec78 If I am seeing the pictures right on the 2021 cent, it looks to be a defective planchet. I think I can see the zinc core of the cent in the close up pic? If it were a strike thru, there would just be an impression with no visible zinc for a strike thru of that size.

you know, i think you may be right. probably need some images not taken from a scope to be safe.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

If it is a defective planchet, there most likely are no more of them, correct? If it is a strike-through would there be many more or at least a few more around?
    Yes, that is the zinc core that you see.
    Which has more value, a strike through or a defective planchet?
    Either way it is an interesting coin. At this point, I don't know if it has any value over 1 cent.

• Options

@rec78 said:

@Kliao said:

If it is a defective planchet, there most likely are no more of them, correct? If it is a strike-through would there be many more or at least a few more around?
    Yes, that is the zinc core that you see.
    Which has more value, a strike through or a defective planchet?
    Either way it is an interesting coin. At this point, I don't know if it has any value over 1 cent.

Yes, it is likely defective planchets are a one-off error. And yes, there is a higher possibility of a strike through to the duplicated if the thing on the die stays there. It will not necessarily be in the same location, but the strike thru will be of similar shape/size on multiple coins.

I do believe a defective planchet is more valuable but I'm not the person to ask in terms of value. I'm getting more and more interested in errors and learning/studying more into the area.

@ErrorsOnCoins or @FredWeinberg may be the ones to ask for value.

A very interesting piece I would like to see in person.

Collector

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

The fun stuff I found in just a few Loomis rolls while taking breaks from the uneventful customer rolls...

Weak/partial edge lettering, I'm doing a separate post on this one regarding photographic references to weak and partial edge lettering and the lack of said visual references...

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great finds recently!!!!!!!!!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    AbehunterAbehunter Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Nice,can't post pics,I got a roll of dimes and 2 rolls of pennys ,got a 51d wheat,dimes were 1980 and each year after that to the year 2021 that under magnification I can not see a scratch anywhere, all rims were bright as new ,mostly p mint tho,for 7 dollars I'm happy!

• Options

In case anyone wondering why 7 dollars instead of 6 ,I always by a soft drink for who ever waits on me

• Options
    CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like a partial collar error--great find!

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options

Awesome partial collar @Coin_nut1977 . Possibly a partial tilted collar?

Collector

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

Well I had $250.00 in rolled quarters from about mid covid that my wife wrapped and told me to take them to the bank. I did not and had them sitting in my office since then. With the coin shortage, I decided to keep them. So I just completed going through the $250.00 and found a total of zero W quarters or anything else of significance. Oh well.....the hunt for my first W continues.
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

@milbroco said:
    Well I had $250.00 in rolled quarters from about mid covid that my wife wrapped and told me to take them to the bank. I did not and had them sitting in my office since then. With the coin shortage, I decided to keep them. So I just completed going through the $250.00 and found a total of zero W quarters or anything else of significance. Oh well.....the hunt for my first W continues.
    Bob

does this include looking for rpms, ddo, ddr, higher grade collectable dates 60s-80s, big cracks, breaks, chips, etc ? it is quite a bit to know and absolutely keeps me on my toes when doing roll searching or dealer boxes etc.

i did find a bat quarter kinda low to mid size grease strike through (a popular one) and got $35 for it. just an example.

unfortunate about the Ws. i am just about to wrap up a group now and i have about a roll left and none this round. aweee lol

did some dollar rolls and the bank gave me a Monroe bu roll and i'm deciding whether to open it, sell it or just take it back. there is a decent-ish premium to the rolls but maybe not enough to sell on its own? perhaps if i had 5-10 or so. i'll decide after i put the coins back in the rolls. been doing it a LONG time off/on so i have my protocol down pat and it goes pretty quickly and smoothly.

that being said, i SERIOUSLY doubt i have the moxie to wrap @Coinscratch 45k lincolns he cashed in!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    In the following roll, #36

Clipped Planchet?

It seems to have the Blakesley effect?

It also has a scratch.
    :#

Not a clip, damage.
    No Blakesley effect

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

@Treashunt said:

@joeykoins said:

Not a clip, damage.
    No Blakesley effect

don't toss it back just yet.

clips aren't required to have the blakesly every time and i've seen plenty w/o it. best to check out a bunch of straight clips and look to see how often it has it and how strong. also, better images would be nice. c'mon joey, get something decent to take pics with, please!

the coin looks to have the tapered rim look at each end of the clip which would be difficult to reproduce.

i'm looking forward to knowing 100% either way though. :)

• Options
    edited August 29, 2022 12:52PM

Gents,
    I've heard of the famous 1922 Lincoln No-D, weak-D, but I never heard of a quarter with a weak-D, Any thoughts, just wear?
    2000 New Hampshire - Washington pony-tail in not worn and the "In God We Trust" letters are fine...

• Options

Minor grease filled die that was just in the right place.

Time to market it as such on eBay ;)

Collector

• Options

ok. got my quarters and dollars all rolled up and ready to go back.

now for the mystery roll of monroe labeled dollars.

after doing some price comps, they have a premium but after the time/effort/fees etc, it really boils down to around $5, maybe $10 on a good day whereas there is a chance of opening it and finding MEL or errors etc.

SO, what do you think i should do? it is too late to go to the bank now, so i have the evening to decide but a little advice/encouragement about what to do here. it isn't some rare numismatic relic, so cracking the roll isn't a major loss, of course, if people keep doing it and thinking that, perhaps rarities can be created?

• Options

I did not look for anything other than the W mint mark. I just kept an eye out for anything obvious.

• Options

Another Kansas W find, looks pretty good also...

• Options

I think that everyone that has a W mint quarter should stop looking and leave us newbies a better chance to find one. nice find!

• Options

@milbroco said:
    I think that everyone that has a W mint quarter should stop looking and leave us newbies a better chance to find one. nice find!

I'll second that!!

• Options

well, the monroe roll was busted open!

and this is the find:

• Options

• Options

@Abehunter said:

@milbroco said:

I'll second that!!

Sorry guys,
    Just found

#144 W

2019W Memorial

I'm "W" addicted!
    :p

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    well, the monroe roll was busted open!

and this is the find:

I was gonna say open it, open everything 😂

• Options

12 More Rolls

• Options

It stinks here,you ever need someone to to babysit those coins for a while, let me know

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Went through one bank box of nickels I have had sitting around for a long time. One 1943 P silver and one 2009 D nickel.
    Found about 15 or so PL 2021 nickels but with nicks and scrapes, most with FS. A few toners the rest I need to check the folder to see if any will upgrade the slot. Cheers.

• Options

Finally!

Lol
    Better pics and description on my new thread.
    Thanks guys

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Finally!

Lol
    Thanks guys

1988?

• Options

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Finally!

Lol
    Thanks guys

1988?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@milbroco.... I agree.... Those of us searching the wild W quarter find are being shut out by the roll searchers... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2022 8:09AM

@ricko said:
    @milbroco.... I agree.... Those of us searching the wild W quarter find are being shut out by the roll searchers... :D;) Cheers, RickO

Easy fix-search rolls yourself and you have a better chance to find one. But I think that Joey has the key.

• Options

@rec78 said:

@ricko said:

Easy fix-search rolls yourself and you have a better chance to find one. But I think that Joey has the key.

@rec78 said:

@ricko said:

The Key was getting new rolls in 2019 & 2020, as finding W's was like shooting fish in a barrel.. Now, as you have pointed-out, it's truly a hunters game as W's are few and far in-between! One will grow old waiting to find one in the wild..

• Options

I promise guys, here is the key that I'm giving you,

STAY PERSISTENT!

They will come, believe me.
    :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file