Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2022 2:23PM

@Kurisu That is one gorgeous dime. Like I mentioned about cents, dimes are even smaller and tend to have a higher survivability rate. I haven't purchased any bank date rolls of these just yet but your helping to make my mind.

• Options
    edited August 18, 2022 2:28PM

@Coinscratch said:
    @Kurisu That is one gorgeous dime. Like I mentioned about cents, dimes are even smaller and tend to have a higher survivability rate. I haven't purchased any bank date rolls of these just yet but your helping to make my mind.

And now, you just created a monster :D I will find one in 67+ or 68 - Love the challenge too.
    Plus you earned a spot on the TrueView board another notch in the ole belt.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice finds there!

that washington hat break, at that stage is a tough find.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2022 5:20PM

@Coinscratch said:

@Coinscratch said:

And now, you just created a monster :D I will find one in 67+ or 68 - Love the challenge too.

Hah...I love it! Lets see who can find a 67+ or better first...I still have a handful of the batch of rolls that dime came from too :smiley:
    That would be awesome for one of us to spot one before the end of the year...now getting it graded and finding out before the end of the year is a whole different conversation lol!!!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@Coinscratch said:

Oh man thanks for letting me know lol! I didn't realize it made it to the TrueView page...Woot!!!

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Joe_360 said:
    @joeykoins @WQuarterFreddie , CRH'ers,

Live and let learn... Man did I screw up! I sold my share of W coins, but not so many in 2022. Most of my (circulated) sales on e-Bay have sold for ~ $12.50 to $14.50, so I listed an auction for a 2020 Vermont Marsh-Billings that I found about a month ago. I was quickly offered $17.00 for it. So I thought, why wait 5 days, let's just accept the offer as it's higher then what I've been getting, and let's just move on...

Well, I listed the Vermont Marsh-Billings W that I found last Saturday, (no quick offers) well the bid is already at $30.00 with 2 more days to go...

Man, I did not see that coming for a circulated W.. Seems that the premium is high on that coin! (not sure why?)

Learned my lesson... :#

Yeah...the 2019-W American Memorial and the 2020-W Marsh Billings have the highest retail value for whatever reason. They both still bring in $30-$40 each for raw quarters. Best to search Ebay completed sales before setting a BIN price or accepting offers😉

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

@Coinscratch said:

Oh man thanks for letting me know lol! I didn't realize it made it to the TrueView page...Woot!!!

Yea man! You gotta wear it like a badge of honor :)
    I have several and this one used to be up there. Still kicking myself for selling it…I had it graded (67+) before PL was a thing at PCGS.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

i hope i haven't already asked. do you send stuff to ngc too. kinda the whole play mom against dad and visa versa game? can get expensive in money, time, effort, emotion etc but can pay off in spades as well.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

i hope i haven't already asked. do you send stuff to ngc too. kinda the whole play mom against dad and visa versa game? can get expensive in money, time, effort, emotion etc but can pay off in spades as well.

I haven’t yet. So I’m assuming you get the higher grade at NGC sell it for more money is that the point?

• Options

@Coin_nut1977 Looks like you have been busy. Nice finds.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

I haven’t yet. So I’m assuming you get the higher grade at NGC sell it for more money is that the point?

yes and no but that isn't really what i was aiming at. they do tend to handle certain type coins differently. not necessarily higher or lower sometimes and not just grades but surfaces, color, etc. it can be about designations which goes to registry points, money, accomplishment, not being tied to one tpg, etc. i'm personally glad we have a few choices as i don't 100% with any of them across the board but i like to think them all grinding/working together shapes a better collecting environment for us all. :)

just curious if you tested the waters.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:

yes and no but that isn't really what i was aiming at. they do tend to handle certain type coins differently. not necessarily higher or lower sometimes and not just grades but surfaces, color, etc. it can be about designations which goes to registry points, money, accomplishment, not being tied to one tpg, etc. i'm personally glad we have a few choices as i don't 100% with any of them across the board but i like to think them all grinding/working together shapes a better collecting environment for us all. :)

just curious if you tested the waters.

I haven’t yet right but when I do it will be NGC first.

• Options

@Kurisu I went looking on the bay for the 2020 dime rolls and a couple of things, first they're too much and secondly, I see how this works. A guy buys a box and opens a few rolls, determines they're weakly struck and sells off the rest of the box per roll.
    Ain't happening :D I'll be hitting my typical 40 or 50 banks looking for dime rolls - Problem is they may not be 2020 so lets expand this challenge to include any and all dimes at 67+ and above starting 20?? - What say you?

• Options
    edited August 19, 2022 7:23AM

@Coinscratch said:
    @Kurisu I went looking on the bay for the 2020 dime rolls and a couple of things, first they're too much and secondly, I see how this works. A guy buys a box and opens a few rolls, determines they're weakly struck and sells off the rest of the box per roll.
    Ain't happening :D I'll be hitting my typical 40 or 50 banks looking for dime rolls - Problem is they may not be 2020 so lets expand this challenge to include any and all dimes at 67+ and above starting 20?? - What say you?

Sounds fun!
    All my fresh dime rolls 2020-2022 came from my banks.
    The only fresh vendor rolls I've actually purchased during the last year or so were some Maya and Wilma quarters.
    I got some fresh 2022 dimes yesterday from my Credit Union...they only seem to have new dimes for the last few weeks.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

Sounds fun!
    All my fresh dime rolls 2020-2022 came from my banks.
    The only fresh vendor rolls I've actually purchased during the last year or so were some Maya and Wilma quarters.
    I got some fresh 2022 dimes yesterday from my Credit Union...they only seem to have new dimes for the last few weeks.

I would say 2020 and newer but there is always a chance you walk in and get a fresh roll from 1978 :D errr 2017.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC You in? Hard to call a contest end date with grading taking 3 to 4 months and before you answer they have to be apples to apples meaning PCGS graded dimes for this challenge and/or NGC to battle NGC but no mixing.
    We could race for titles :D

• Options

Went to nine banks looking for a small sample of dimes from each (9 not shown). Only bank number two had brand-new rolls, 2022D. I numbered them and created a Legend case I need to go back to any of these banks :)

I started buying pennies as well and quickly got sidetracked at bank number four. After checking a few Enders and finding choice clean coins including this 1969S I went straight back to that bank where they traded me two more boxes for my fed boxes.
    All three had the same duct tape sealing the box (so I was pretty stoked) but only two have the exact same paper roll.
    It’s On!

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Went to nine banks looking for a small sample of dimes from each (9 not shown). Only bank number two had brand-new rolls, 2022D. I numbered them and created a Legend case I need to go back to any of these banks :)

I started buying pennies as well and quickly got sidetracked at bank number four. After checking a few Enders and finding choice clean coins including this 1969S I went straight back to that bank where they traded me two more boxes for my fed boxes.
    All three had the same duct tape sealing the box (so I was pretty stoked) but only two have the exact same paper roll.
    It’s On!

Excellent pickups! I'm now thinking about dimes a bit more too lol!

I made a quick trip to a Chase and my credit union this morning...
    I see many shiny dimes! :blush:
    Lol no obverses showing on the shiny stuff...my guess is 2022 rolls from chase and maybe a 2020 roll from the credit union.

It's On lol!

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

I hate you guys. I am a baseball card guy who used to "hunt" a little when I was a teen. I would but an occasional roll or two maybe once a year to see what I could find. Well now I am on my way to the bank for several rolls of whatever! You guys got me worked up and I will be doing this daily! Wish me luck!
    Thanks!
    Bob

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

@milbroco said:
    I hate you guys. I am a baseball card guy who used to "hunt" a little when I was a teen. I would but an occasional roll or two maybe once a year to see what I could find. Well now I am on my way to the bank for several rolls of whatever! You guys got me worked up and I will be doing this daily! Wish me luck!
    Thanks!
    Bob

I love it, you go Bob! :D
    These rolls are literally dripping with luster, toners, and PLs - Just waiting for that perfect one to drop - These are very close.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

40 quarter rolls and 12 cent rolls - Hitting my bank tomorrow AM as they were getting a delivery this afternoon.

Happy Hunting all!

• Options
    edited August 19, 2022 4:33PM

Possible Struck Thru

• Options

• Options

I was unable to make it to the bank as I got sidetracked. But I do remember I have a few rolls of coins sitting around for when I have a garage sale. So I am digging into those shortly.
    Bo

• Options

@Coinscratch
    So I made a genuine attempt to get to the dimes today.
    I got through everything but the dimes.

Ummm I'm gonna say it went pretty well though lol...

Only 2.8 million of these

Pretty sure is a worn down strike through, thoughts anyone?

Then there's this mystery roll with obverse enders I'm about to open...Maya or Wilma? Guesses?

Tomorrow will be a day of dimes, grabbing some from the cabinet too... :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@kurisu Same, I'm saving those for last which will be possibly tomorrow. Stinking dimes :D Should be fairly easy to top pop one of those ;)

• Options

@Kurisu I was just checking the 2022 D Dimes and wondering why someone had a MS65 and 64 graded, look closer :)

Now it's really on!

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @Kurisu I was just checking the 2022 D Dimes and wondering why someone had a MS65 and 64 graded, look closer :)

Now it's really on!

More like you were incredibly carefully inspecting the 2022 D Dimes lol...Nice spot! Thanks for the tip!
    So is that one graded as a variety?

Coins are Neato!

• Options

I wish you guys would speak English. I have no idea what you are talking about.......top pop or even what I am looking at.
    Geez.
    Thanks,
    Bob

• Options

@milbroco said:
    I wish you guys would speak English. I have no idea what you are talking about.......top pop or even what I am looking at.
    Geez.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Ask specific questions and you will get answers, and maybe a bit extra too :smile:

Top Pop refers to the graded population of a coin.
    PCGS and NGC and others list how many of each type of coin have been graded at what scores.
    So if you have a top-pop that's a coin that is one of the highest graded examples of that coin denomination/variety.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

My mystery roll I posted above turned out to be Mayas!
    Cool, but no luck on amazing condition in this one.

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

Now it's really on!

More like you were incredibly carefully inspecting the 2022 D Dimes lol...Nice spot! Thanks for the tip!

Not Yet.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2022 6:45AM

@Coinscratch said:

@Kurisu said:

@Coinscratch said:

Now it's really on!

Not Yet.

Oh wait...I totally thought you meant you were looking through graded dimes on PCGS or something.
    Didn't realize you found it...Niiiiice! Can't find any references to that yet, seems like it's easy enough to spot with bare eyes too!!!
    Congrats!
    Or am I still misunderstanding lol!?

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu No, not mine. It's in the Trueviews just not listed as a DDR yet

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @Kurisu No, not mine. It's in the Trueviews just not listed as a DDR yet

Well that's just awesome that you were paying that much attention! :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited August 20, 2022 9:24AM

@coinscratch @ crh crew :blush:

Just pulled these from the cabinet...

Some really pretty 2021 Ds

And a couple pretty 2022 Ds that now I'm really excited about that DDR :smiley:

Oh man I've searched thousands of those...hope I didn't miss any lol!

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu I need to find a high powered magnifying glass otherwise I have to pick up each dime individually to check for that DDR. Man those little suckers are small :D

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    @Kurisu I need to find a high powered magnifying glass otherwise I have to pick up each dime individually to check for that DDR. Man those little suckers are small :D

IF you want to streamline AND do quantity, this is one of the few exceptions where a digi-scope comes in handy (by my standard) because on a flat surface, you can slide the coins under the scope with your hand and look up at the screen the scope is connected to,(easier on the neck and quicker than a loupe) then just keep sliding coins under one at a time. it can go pretty quick. I ALMOST picked one up so as not to wear out my phone doing the same thing plus the digiscope does zoom more but i'm not really up for doing quantity just now.

• Options

That's one ugly Bat!!! I'll throw it into an Acetone bath just to see what happens...

• Options

Roll #13, that's a bit better...

• Options
    edited August 20, 2022 2:29PM

@Coinscratch said:

That's why I call them evil little nefarious things... :p
    I tend to quick sort with a low power loupe and or small magnifying glass. I prefer indirect daylight from a window.
    I go from flat to extreme angles on every single one of those tiny suckers lol...I bet you're quicker due to your penny expertise. You probably have a better system...

So basically...you're influencing me because I of course went out today to get dimes lol.
    At Chase they were having a slower moment before closing and both tellers knew me well. They were asking me a bunch of coin type questions and both will call me when they get customer rolls! :smiley:

But because I was also telling them about our little contest (true) and thinking about your volume of pennies I also decided to get a box of sealed pennies when one of them offered to grab one from the vault. Something I haven't done in probably over 5 years!

They had mostly customer wrapped dimes for me...oh darn, what a horrible distraction from the sparkly new dimes ;)

Coins are Neato!

• Options

What is the difference between double die and machine doubling?
    How long do some of you look over each coin looking for double die / die cracks / errors and stuff?.
    Thanks,
    Bob

• Options

@milbroco said:
    What is the difference between double die and machine doubling?
    How long do some of you look over each coin looking for double die / die cracks / errors and stuff?.
    Thanks,
    Bob

http://www.doubleddie.com/
    Read the entire site :)

Coins are Neato!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file