Options

Coin Roll & Mint Set Hunting.

Comments

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭✭✭

@milbroco Nice Find!

• Options

Only had time for one stop today and it may be a good one. While driving along I determined that the 14 rolls on the left are from the same hoard and contain mostly 60’s 70s and 80s, very clean.
    The four others on the right look like the typical run-of-the-mill fed junk.
    Yeah so while driving I’ll open each end separately and carefully dump four or five into my hand to determine what I have but I always keep at least one eye on the road 🫣 :D

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Only had time for one stop today and it may be a good one. While driving along I determined that the 14 rolls on the left are from the same hoard and contain mostly 60’s 70s and 80s, very clean.
    The four others on the right look like the typical run-of-the-mill fed junk.
    Yeah so while driving I’ll open each end separately and carefully dump four or five into my hand to determine what I have but I always keep at least one eye on the road 🫣 :D

apparently the sales person didn't tell you, so i get the pleasure, your tesla will drive itself !

so once all dealers get them, we can all do our buying/selling en route to the shows and spend the rest of the time goofing around. whoooo

good fortune on the rolls and your knowledge to find what is there...

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

They are what I thought I only wish there were more. Two rolls in (got to take my time with these little babies)
    nothing newer than 93 and some type of Chinese coin.
    These are the types of rolls that I find the MS68s in (zinc). Seems like the coppers never go higher than 66 once brown but still a top pop, fingers crossed. Gems and varieties.
    @LanceNewmanOCC I could see mounting a coin table on the consul of that Tesla :D

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's actually a Taiwanese 1 dollar from 1985

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options

@Kliao said:
    That's actually a Taiwanese 1 dollar from 1985

Thanks and it does fit the timeline.

• Options

The odds in finding an MS68 Zincoln from a bank roll are roughly 1:1200 trips to the bank and for me that translates to 1:3,000,000 pennies.
    The type of collectible hoarded pennies (shown above) for me is roughly 1:20 trips to the bank, when I do find those it is another 1:20 times that the coins actually contain cherries. Once all of that is accomplished only 1:3 trips to PCGS does one actually hit the threshold for MS68.

All of this puts a premium on grading skills and the luck of being in the right place at the right time.
    It's a new day :)

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

@milbroco
    Great find! That coin will put some $ in your pocket...

One comment: When you "keep most things", doesn't that make you a collector? >:)

I am not a coin collector but I do like to hunt and keep most things I find.

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    The odds in finding an MS68 Zincoln from a bank roll are roughly 1:1200 trips to the bank and for me that translates to 1:3,000,000 pennies.
    The type of collectible hoarded pennies (shown above) for me is roughly 1:20 trips to the bank, when I do find those it is another 1:20 times that the coins actually contain cherries. Once all of that is accomplished only 1:3 trips to PCGS does one actually hit the threshold for MS68.

All of this puts a premium on grading skills and the luck of being in the right place at the right time.
    It's a new day :)

have you bought date rolls? i doubt they are very expensive in the time frame you are talking and i bet the odds of finding something to submit goes up a bit. so does cost but after all the time, effort and expense, does it really?

now i'm not saying doing date rolls in lieu of bank rolls but perhaps start throwing some in?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC Yes, I have purchased numerous date rolls and it obviously has better odds but they cost anywhere from 5.00 to 17.00 a roll. A good Bay seller to buy from for these is reef20. I have scored a 1975 MS67, 2 1986 d MS68s, and a few others. So, I'll change it up pick rolls for a while buy rolls for a while then sprinkle in some mint sets.

Lot of scams for rolls on the Bay so you learn to figure out what is actually bank rolled paper or not and previously opened or not. When it comes to mint sets, if the sellers other items are not coin related you have a pretty good chance of snagging a good set so conversely you would think if his other items are coin related they've been gone through but... This is not always true. And so the opposite applies to coin rollers.

• Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭

Joe_360
    _One comment: When you "keep most things", doesn't that make you a collector? >:)

I am not a coin collector but I do like to hunt and keep most things I find._

Well I guess it does! Cool I am a nusmest.....nusmintist.....nus...Oh forget it......I am a Coin collector!

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options

Question on those coins above. Is it worth it to grade coins like those pennies? How much does it cost and how much could you get if you sold? What do you look for in pennies like that? I don't remember where I got them but I have a few rolls / partial rolls from 1962 and 1967 that I look like that.
    Thanks,
    Bob

• Options

@Coinscratch said:
    Here are a few from reef20's date rolls included from my last order.

pretty neat results. i started searching through the certs. would be interesting to have an in-person convo about the coins and your take on each!

do you keep a pile of what-ifs until you get up enough for a bulk order which is nice because the per-coin cost comes down so much despite having to spend so much overall? at some point, you surely have enough of a feel to think about risking such a thing? the fantastic thing is the cost to hold the coins is so low!

i tried a few times with classic coins but the cost of them sitting vs the time to acquire enough usually ended up colliding and it never came together. one time i had enough and at a b&m i did a lot of business with i got so far as to give them the coins, pay the fee but they were draggin' their feet and wouldn't let me help with the form or sticker the 2x2s so eventually i just asked for everything back. kinda bummed me out but it is what it is. (i think they were goin' to ngc)

• Options
    edited August 17, 2022 3:21PM

@joeykoins @WQuarterFreddie , CRH'ers,

Live and let learn... Man did I screw up! I sold my share of W coins, but not so many in 2022. Most of my (circulated) sales on e-Bay have sold for ~ $12.50 to $14.50, so I listed an auction for a 2020 Vermont Marsh-Billings that I found about a month ago. I was quickly offered $17.00 for it. So I thought, why wait 5 days, let's just accept the offer as it's higher then what I've been getting, and let's just move on...

Well, I listed the Vermont Marsh-Billings W that I found last Saturday, (no quick offers) well the bid is already at $30.00 with 2 more days to go...

Man, I did not see that coming for a circulated W.. Seems that the premium is high on that coin! (not sure why?)

Learned my lesson... :#

• Options

OK Question. What is this W you are referring to?
    Thanks,
    Bob

• Options

@milbroco said:
    OK Question. What is this W you are referring to?
    Thanks,
    Bob

2019 / 2020 West Point (W mint mark) ATB quarters (2 Million issued for each of the 5 released quarters) Was mixed with D & P minted quarter bank rolls.

• Options

OK Great. Thanks. Now something else for me to look for.
    thanks,
    Bob

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took this long for me to run into a full roll of Wilmas!
    It actually had one single non-Wilma, a simple 1986 mixed in there, can you spot it lol?!!

And again...I only live a few miles from the Denver Mint lol.
    Also...still fully sticking with my prediction that this is the one in the series that will be the most difficult to find in the extremely high MS states!
    The best one I pulled from this almost full roll of frosty freshness...not so great lol.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@milbroco said:
    Question on those coins above. Is it worth it to grade coins like those pennies? How much does it cost and how much could you get if you sold? What do you look for in pennies like that? I don't remember where I got them but I have a few rolls / partial rolls from 1962 and 1967 that I look like that.
    Thanks,
    Bob

Yes. if they grade high enough, you need at least MS67 for the modern coppers and MS68 on the zincs which are 82/83 and newer. You'll need to check out the Price Guide at PCGS for specifics. I am building a set of Lincolns from finds not purchases so I do sell the overspill. Currently need to sell two 74 d MS67 and two 86 d MS68 as I have 3 of each.
    Those grades are the threshold to make any sort of profit obviously looking for higher grades...Always.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Coinscratch said:
    Here are a few from reef20's date rolls included from my last order.

pretty neat results. i started searching through the certs. would be interesting to have an in-person convo about the coins and your take on each!

do you keep a pile of what-ifs until you get up enough for a bulk order which is nice because the per-coin cost comes down so much despite having to spend so much overall? at some point, you surely have enough of a feel to think about risking such a thing? the fantastic thing is the cost to hold the coins is so low!

i tried a few times with classic coins but the cost of them sitting vs the time to acquire enough usually ended up colliding and it never came together. one time i had enough and at a b&m i did a lot of business with i got so far as to give them the coins, pay the fee but they were draggin' their feet and wouldn't let me help with the form or sticker the 2x2s so eventually i just asked for everything back. kinda bummed me out but it is what it is. (i think they were goin' to ngc)

It just keeps growing, I started with one small tackle box and now I have 6 tool boxes full of individual coins in flips for each year. I need to cull a lot of almost-good-enough coins because it's getting out of control :D

Then I keep the best most recent finds separate in a PCGS box or two and I'll pull the best of those for the next order. I only send in 15 to 25 at a time with a few that I know will cover the costs as some will surely come up short. I'm a loyalist when it comes to PCGS, one only needs to look at auction results. Sure they're tougher but buyers understand and when they buy a grade that they're gonna get that grade.

• Options

5 more stops today to try and beat down the odds a bit and the 5th might be good as the ends are showing 05-08 and with strong strikes. MS68 in these years yield 1k to 1,500 in the price guide. The others from Yesterday got boring so moving on now :)

First four stops - BORING!

Fifth stop :-) BINGO!

• Options

Not great but here is one from a roll I had. What grade / condition would this be?
    Thanks,
    Bob

• Options

The Reverse

• Options

@milbroco said:
    Not great but here is one from a roll I had. What grade / condition would this be?
    Thanks,
    Bob

65 on a good day.

• Options

@milbroco said:
    Thanks,
    Bob

@Coinscratch

...I'm seeing like AU58-ish on the high end :|

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

@milbroco said:
    Thanks,
    Bob

It's honestly tough to tell because that's a very low resolution image.
    I see some circulation wear on the cheeks and beard but so tough to tell if it's just the lighting with no resolution...

Coins are Neato!

• Options

I need to get that red book tomorrow so I can see the grading standards and things like that.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

• Options

@milbroco said:
    I need to get that red book tomorrow so I can see the grading standards and things like that.
    Thanks again,
    Bob

that is a good idea. i also would recommend pcgs PHOTOGRADE.

as dumb as it sounds, don't forget to check the local library and expect the books to be in more than one section and our library also has a magazine section, now in the basement and there are a couple numismatic publications.

it was unfortunate but i never looked at a coin book before selling the collection given me and no one in the COT (circle of trust) for me at the time really helped me out and it is a bummer because i probably sold way too cheap and didn't get to learn anything much about it other than the type and held it for years only for me to be in numismatics in a big way probably within a year after that! never really occurred to me to go to the library for coin books but i did for many other books for general reading material.

• Options

@milbroco said:
    Thanks,
    Bob

you're going to get some wild responses from scanned images (what they look like to me), so probably best to try your camera phone, if you have one or any other camera. you can also research you scanners user manual as sometimes they have settings that DRAMATICALLY increase the clarity/resolution of the scans.

• Options

@milbroco said:
    Thanks again,
    Bob

The book is wonderful of course.
    Here's a fun link or two to help you learn some grading visually...

PCGS Video series "Grading 101" https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=PLG7e8_oGOkcCOj48wjk2VQKHr41sjGyzi

PCGS Photograde https://www.pcgs.com/photograde

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu I was grading through my cell phone and w/o my specs :# and thought 65 might’ve been too high.

@milbroco
    Bad pics but here is most of my very first order from 2018. I thought I had hit tiddy bingo! PCGS said no pity for no lingo!

• Options

@milbroco
    Curiosity killed the cat! Here is a pair of MS65s from a recent order. The luster and color of these two made me do it.
    Again slapped down, this time for surface preservation - Too many hits.

• Options

So you see, the first order got to 65 with virtually no luster but no hits.
    Then the second group got to 65 with huge luster but with huge hits.

Add luster to the first group or take away the hits from the second group and come away with 67/67+

Savvy?!

• Options

I just spent about 40 minutes watching the PGS videos. Good Information.
    Now to check out the above scans of the Lincolns.
    Thanks,
    Bob

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2022 7:56PM

@Coinscratch said:
    5 more stops today to try and beat down the odds a bit and the 5th might be good as the ends are showing 05-08 and with strong strikes. MS68 in these years yield 1k to 1,500 in the price guide. The others from Yesterday got boring so moving on now :)

Do you do nickels/dimes/quarters/halves as well or just penny hunting? You must REALLY like pennies to go through all this trouble to find MS68's! I'm just trying to complete my albums, silver dimes/quarters/Eagles/Maples (and maybe Franklin halves too) and get as big a sequence of mint/proof sets as I can... :(

Honestly I'm just the opposite; I love silver coins (and half dollars) best and I hope to get as many as I can for my albums while the silver price is still relatively low.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@Coinscratch said:
    So you see, the first order got to 65 with virtually no luster but no hits.
    Then the second group got to 65 with huge luster but with huge hits.

Add luster to the first group or take away the hits from the second group and come away with 67/67+

Savvy?!

savvy

don't forget the difference between days of the week, moon phase, stress level of the graders, work flow, inside pcgs standard changes etc etc etc. ;) i guess all that can be summarized by saying, nuance.

• Options

@estil Yes, I like the other denominations as well but in my experience finding high grade clad coins from circulation is virtually impossible. I should probably try some date rolls on these but currently rely on mint sets and such.
    I believe the softness of nickels and the largeness of quarters is the reason.
    :) And my affection for Lincoln’s stems from their survivability rate and the ability to pull nice examples from the wild. I really have zero interest in filling an album though like you I stack silver and gold. But for me the satisfaction comes from making the coin, anybody can buy it.
    Relatively new to me while expanding I’m expecting grades from an assortment of nickels, dimes, quarters, and halves within a month (it’s already been 2) not holding my breathe but hoping for at least a couple of good grades. But not exactly expecting it :)

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    @estil Yes, I like the other denominations as well but in my experience finding high grade clad coins from circulation is virtually impossible. I should probably try some date rolls on these but currently rely on mint sets and such.
    :) And my affection for Lincoln’s stems from their survivability rate and the ability to pull nice examples from the wild. I really have zero interest in filling an album though like you I stack silver and gold. But for me the satisfaction comes from making the coin, anybody can buy it.
    Relatively new to me while expanding I’m expecting grades from an assortment of nickels, dimes, quarters, and halves within a month (it’s already been 2) not holding my breathe but hoping for at least a couple of good grades. But not exactly expecting it :)

I am so jelly that you can actually do gold! Even trying to do a sequence of 1/10 American Gold Eagles would be way out of my price range and gold is up way too high besides...that bubble is bound to burst sooner rather than later.

As for so called "stacking silver", that's not true at all I want to fill as many holes in my albums as I can! Sadly I'm of extremely modest financial means but I'm very proud of what I have been able to collect/build over the years. Like John Wooden would say, I don't let what I can't do stop me from what I CAN do.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@Estil said:

@Coinscratch said:

I am so jelly that you can actually do gold! Even trying to do a sequence of 1/10 American Gold Eagles would be way out of my price range and gold is up way too high besides...that bubble is bound to burst sooner rather than later.

As for so called "stacking silver", that's not true at all I want to fill as many holes in my albums as I can! Sadly I'm of extremely modest financial means but I'm very proud of what I have been able to collect/build over the years. Like John Wooden would say, I don't let what I can't do stop me from what I CAN do.

I love pennies too...and quarters and nickels...and similar to @Coinscratch I'm not filling albums or creating a bunch of sets. I LOVE finding high MS condition coins most especially. Varieties too of course!
    Recently for me it's been the evil little difficult nefarious things we call...dimes lol! I absolutely love the challenge of what I call white-glove searches of original bank rolls and Mint rolls!!!

Even though I agree that pulling high grade coins from circulation is quite the challenge...it's one of my favorite challenges!
    Here's a dime I pulled from a Loomis roll earlier this year and submitted - MS67 FB B)

Coins are Neato!

• Options

@Kurisu
    Understood that it's your hobby, and that you love the challenge, just curious if you track your P&L?

While CRH, I too keep/stack coins that I believe have a nice strike and/or are in a quality condition, but I hesitate to submit for grading mostly due to time, effort and cost..

Is your passion solely in the hunt with little concern of risk verse reward? Respectfully, Joe

• Options
    edited August 18, 2022 6:38AM

@Joe_360 said:
    @Kurisu
    Understood that it's your hobby, and that you love the challenge, just curious if you track your P&L?

While CRH, I too keep/stack coins that I believe have a nice strike and/or are in a quality condition, but I hesitate to submit for grading mostly due to time, effort and cost..

Is your passion solely in the hunt with little concern of risk verse reward? Respectfully, Joe

Great question...yes and no.
    I absolutely keep track of what I paid for rolls and mint sets and such and I tend to ballpark my ROI annually.
    It's always been a hobby for me, though occasionally quite profitable!
    And yes, even though it is a hobby much of this is a long-term investment since I rarely have the intention of actually flipping any type of coin(s). My approach has always been with a serious hobby budget. I do the same thing with my poker tournaments, arguably my other most expensive hobby. I only put in what I'm willing to lose, so wins are just wonderful lol!

Some of my collection is organized for inheritance to my son and my brother's kids...overall...my intention is just to continue loving and appreciating these little things. It just seems to be built into me lol.
    I have always love miniatures, and history, and science (my Dad is a PHD in physical chemistry and Mom was a teacher) and it all comes together in coins :smiley:

I'm an extremely eclectic collector and tend to make many mini collections. My registries on PCGS and NGS definitely reflect this lol...and even more so if you look through my coin cabinet. My interests change and I tend to trust my gut with things and allow myself changing interests. Sometimes I even do quite a bit of selling but mostly I'm getting rolls from my banks and randomly ordering rolls and other things that interest me. As a side note...I donate a lot. I give a lot of coins away and I encourage new collectors often. I have donated to the ANA regularly too besides being a member there as well...and lucky enough to live an hour away from Colorado Springs too :blush:

Coins are Neato!

• Options
    edited August 18, 2022 7:00AM

@Kurisu
    Great reply and thanks!

As you, my hobby will be passed down to my Son & Daughter. As you know, my main search are quarters for W's (and silver), because they are in demand, easy to sell, and I reinvest my profits to silver (bought a 83 MS-65 Morgan CC from profits from about ~$25 face value in W's).

I collect most all Lincoln's because I am a Lincoholic and stack wheaties, S-mints and copper. The reason I keep copper (yes I know probably no reward) but I figure that if I'm going to take the time to search cents, I might as well stack copper as they are worth more the 1 cent and again, (going to the kids so they can cash in as they see fit...).

I don't play poker as much as I used to, but I do like to get to the track once in a while and bet some ponies... ;)

Best of luck in your searches Bud! Too bad you don't live close by to train me with grading what I have stowed away... Joe

• Options
    Coin_nut1977Coin_nut1977 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2022 2:17PM

2 boxes searched :)

• Options

Rim cud

• Options

• Options

• Options