Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 American Eagle One Ounce Silver Enhanced Reverse Proof Coin (19XE) Currently unavailable

Comments

• Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sweetpie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Yeah, that's would follow the model of a normal sell-out coin. It'll be interesting to see if that happens with this one.

I'm really not sure if there was another coin put on sale from the Mint that had this sort of frenzy in the past decade.

I think the 2018-W Palladium comes close.

I don't think it's at all close. As we discovered this year, the demand for the Pd coin is only around 15,000 which was the mintage for the Pd coin.

They sell hundreds of thousands of proof eagles every year. The latent demand is MUCH higher than the mintage, unlike the Pd coin.

Ok - we are talking about maybe the 2018 Pd being CLOSEST in term of a BUYING FRENZY. Not just from the base collectors.
    A mere sell-out in minutes. Price sustainable after a few months although Pd did went down but still a nice premium over Mint cost+rise in PM.

Granted this Silver Eagle is just in the 1st inning...

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Thursday's really shipped? or "label created" and emailed as "shipped"

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sweetpie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sweetpie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Yeah, that's would follow the model of a normal sell-out coin. It'll be interesting to see if that happens with this one.

I'm really not sure if there was another coin put on sale from the Mint that had this sort of frenzy in the past decade.

I don't think it's at all close. As we discovered this year, the demand for the Pd coin is only around 15,000 which was the mintage for the Pd coin.

They sell hundreds of thousands of proof eagles every year. The latent demand is MUCH higher than the mintage, unlike the Pd coin.

Ok - we are talking about maybe the 2018 Pd being CLOSEST in term of a BUYING FRENZY. Not just from the base collectors.
    A mere sell-out in minutes. Price sustainable after a few months although Pd did went down but still a nice premium over Mint cost+rise in PM.

I think the closest thing that's come to the ERP ASE is the 2011 5-coin 25th Anniversary ASE set.

100K product limit, with two coins unique. 5 HHL, so that meant 20K orders. (Most bought 5. Like me. :D)

The 2018 palladium doesn't come close to products like that. The 2014 BBHoF was probably on par with the 2018 Pd, it was amazing how well received that commem was.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@Sweetpie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sweetpie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

I think the closest thing that's come to the ERP ASE is the 2011 5-coin 25th Anniversary ASE set.

100K product limit, with two coins unique. 5 HHL, so that meant 20K orders. (Most bought 5. Like me. :D)

The 2018 palladium doesn't come close to products like that. The 2014 BBHoF was probably on par with the 2018 Pd, it was amazing how well received that commem was.

Yeah, even after recent updates to the website, the ERP ASE crashed the server like it was 1995! The Pd coin did not come close to that kind of mayhem.

Viewed through the context of number of collectors, I really don't think anything comes close to the ERP ASE. They do sell hundreds of thousands of proof ASE's annually. 30,000 against hundreds of thousands...what other Mint coin comes close? The Pd coin was pretty much 15,000 against 15,000. Even the 2011 set was 100k against maybe 500k buyer base. HOF is harder to assess as a one-off commem.

We may not see the same mayhem for another Mint product for a loooong time...

Or Ryder will issue a Kennedy Half with a mintage limit of 10,000 next year to really test the server bandwidth.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 2:05PM

If you consider percentage price gains, even flip gains for the others, I don't think any of the above beats the $65 elusive one

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@JimTyler said:
    Mine came today ordered Friday. Isn't she a beauty.
    Obverse

Reverse

I see some mild friction on the high points. The edge dings might be enough to get it in a detailed holder.

Some PMD on the lower right reverse, too.

The next great frontier - slabbing unopened boxes! The only way to guarantee they stay unopened.

Don't forget the Early Boxed or First Boxed labels...

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, even after recent updates to the website, the ERP ASE crashed the server like it was 1995! The Pd coin did not come close to that kind of mayhem.
    If there was mayhem in 1995 it didn't last long. With a max. mintage of 50k and only 30k sold everyone had all the time they needed to pull the trigger.

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    If there was mayhem in 1995 it didn't last long. With a max. mintage of 50k and only 30k sold everyone had all the time they needed to pull the trigger.

I was referring to 1995 in terms of computer technology not the actual 1995 ASE.

• Options

Did we even order the 1995 on the computer ? I don't even remember. Sure it still wasn't low tech ?

• Options

@JimTyler said:
    Did we even order the 1995 on the computer ? I don't even remember. Sure it still wasn't low tech ?

No, most computer sales didn't mature till closer to 2000. That is my point. If anyone remember 1995, it was common to get the kind of bandwidth crashing we just saw on the Mint website. In the early 2000s, on busy days, Amazon would even crash.

My reference had nothing to do with coins or the ASE. The Mint website server behaved like it had been made in 1995.

• Options

I get it now. That was the worst I ever remember the website during a rush.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SONOMOSCA said:
    I don't get the hold up. Two orders on the first day, one with the higher order # shipped yesterday other still in processing. Three orders on Friday, all still in processing. All cards were dinged and one paid with Mint GC shows amount deducted. All orders received confirmation emails. At this point I'm thinking I may only get the one... I'd be fine with that as long as the COA was 00001 with Signature! :p

Were you personally able to place both orders on Thursday and 3 on Friday?

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Maybe getting slight OT, but was there any buying frenzy before the CPU was popular?

Do you old experience folks have to get on a horse and buggy and race to the P.O. and do a Pony Express...Express mail?

:)

• Options

@Sweetpie said:
    Maybe getting slight OT, but was there any buying frenzy before the CPU was popular?

Do you old experience folks have to get on a horse and buggy and race to the P.O. and do a Pony Express...Express mail?

You're correct horse and buggy. It was a crazy race to the mint. Some folks put blades on their wheels like the old Roman Gladiators, it was mayhem.

• Options

@Sweetpie said:

Yes, there was probably a mad rush to the mail box to send in those orders for those annual sets...

What was that sonny? Speak louder into my hearing aid, or I'll have to beat you with my cane...

I first bought from the Mint in 1999 (20 years? That's kinda depressing.), and they were online then.

PBGS's computer systems were just crap, and couldn't handle any significant load.

If you thought Thursday was bad, think trying the same thing for an hour or more, only to find out you were backordered, and could be cancelled at any time.

It was... exciting. Sorta.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2019 3:00PM

This morning 11/19 I was able to get one in the cart then freeze then unavailable.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

Someone remind me to never use economy shipping from the mint again. I had forgotten how lousy Fedex's Smartpost is. Mine has had a shipping label since yesterday but still hasn't been scanned in.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes but by the time it gets to you in two weeks or so the value of this will have gone up even more and your temptation to sell would’ve been tempered.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 401 ✭✭✭

Yes, 1 of 2 on Thursday and 1 of 3 on Friday. All with Fedex snail mail as I didn't see the need for next day but I think I'm starting to... lol.

@Raufus said:

Were you personally able to place both orders on Thursday and 3 on Friday?

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2019 3:39PM

@MilesWaits said:
    Yes but by the time it gets to you in two weeks or so the value of this will have gone up even more and your temptation to sell would’ve been tempered.

Exactly...it WILL arrive....the challenge has been completed. Just the wait remains

• Options

@opportunity said:
    Someone remind me to never use economy shipping from the mint again. I had forgotten how lousy Fedex's Smartpost is. Mine has had a shipping label since yesterday but still hasn't been scanned in.

I would blame PFSWEB for that not Smartpost. Bad as they are, they don't even have it yet

• Options

@Sweetpie said:

No
    Back then, hot items all got sold out the back door to dealers.

After the back door closed, it was pretty much all unlimited montage annual sets

• Options

You guys got a $500+++ coin for 65 bucks and you have to think to spend for overnight ? I may not sell it until a time when I would have gotten it slow boat but I have a choice.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:
    This morning 11/19 I was able to get one in the cart then freeze then unavailable.

Me too...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    You guys got a $500+++ coin for 65 bucks and you have to think to spend for overnight ? I may not sell it until a time when I would have gotten it slow boat but I have a choice.

There are now multiple confirmed sales on eBay for raw coins in the $900+ range.

• Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@JimTyler said:

There are now multiple confirmed sales on eBay for raw coins in the $900+ range.

Looks like some of them are starting to push $1,000. These are the last page of the auctions (not buy it nows). Looks like that one that was opened was hurt slightly and went for only $830. I'm glad I didn't sell right away. Gonna feel it out for a bit.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@opportunity said:

Mine shipped FedEx SmartPost yesterday. It's sitting 200 miles from me right now and scheduled for delivery Monday the 25th!

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

The trick on ebay is to find a price that you feel is the going market rate but that the buyer is also comfortable with and won't try to return it in a few weeks if the price drops. You could sell one for $900 right now, but will that bad boy come back to you if they drop to $600?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@JimTyler said:

Wonder when all those ~$350 sales from 11/13 will ship?

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@opportunity said:

Has anyone who chose economy shipping had a shipped notice yet?

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SONOMOSCA said:
    I don't get the hold up. Two orders on the first day, one with the higher order # shipped yesterday other still in processing. Three orders on Friday, all still in processing. All cards were dinged and one paid with Mint GC shows amount deducted. All orders received confirmation emails. At this point I'm thinking I may only get the one... I'd be fine with that as long as the COA was 00001 with Signature! :p

This sounds similar to what happened with the Pd’s. The first order shipped but the other orders were cancelled. :/

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@opportunity said:

Yes. Expected delivery is this Friday, but in reality probably Monday or Tuesday, maybe even Wed... the usual.

• Options

@3stars said:
    The trick on ebay is to find a price that you feel is the going market rate but that the buyer is also comfortable with and won't try to return it in a few weeks if the price drops. You could sell one for $900 right now, but will that bad boy come back to you if they drop to $600?

Here's hoping they all get returned to the people who cancelled their sales at $500-$600. Be lovely if they got stuck with $15 in PayPal fees on the return and got the coin back just in time to sell it for $400! LOL

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@opportunity said:

Yes, all 3 of mine and 2 of my suppliers all shipped. Economy doesn't really ship any slower than the overnight, it just takes longer after it was shipped. I'll almost never pay the $20 upgrade since the last time I paid it and it took them 4 days to get it in the mail anyway.

• Options

@opportunity said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@JimTyler said:

\

This is NOT a good sign. It is behaving somewhat frothy. That means it could ramp up quick and then the bubble bursts just as quickly. There's no reason for such behavior except sheer speculation. There will never be more available for sale than there are right now.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@3stars said:

Here's hoping they all get returned to the people who cancelled their sales at $500-$600. Be lovely if they got stuck with $15 in PayPal fees on the return and got the coin back just in time to sell it for $400! LOL

Even $400 isn't a bad price.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 7:37PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@opportunity said:

Yes, all 3 of mine and 2 of my suppliers all shipped. Economy doesn't really ship any slower than the overnight, it just takes longer after it was shipped. I'll almost never pay the $20 upgrade since the last time I paid it and it took them 4 days to get it in the mail anyway.

Does your mint order show a tracking number yet? Just got the "magic" email.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@3stars said:

Even $400 isn't a bad price.

Absolutely not. But after you sold it for $500 and canceled the sale - at the risk of your immortal soul - so you could sell it again at $900, you deserve to get it back and end up with $400 (minus the round-trip eBay shipping and the retained PayPal fees).

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it shows shipped you get a tracking number

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@opportunity said:

Does your mint order show a tracking number yet?

Yes, all of them have shipped. But they shipped economy. Last year, I paid for overnight because I wanted to get them quickly - I got them 5 days later because the Mint took 4 days to post them. Overnight doesn't mean immediate shipping, it means you get the overnight service whenever they get around to shipping it. I just don't think it's worth the price of the upgrade.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 8:30PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

@opportunity said:

A family member's 12:03 EST order shipped last Friday. My coin, a 12:13 EST order, was marked as shipped Monday morning. Both were economy. I don't think they are necessarily doing things in a first come, first serve order necessarily. They certain didn't send out confirmation emails like that - it was in batches.

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 8:32PM

@opportunity said:

@cameonut2011 said:

Looks like some of them are starting to push $1,000. These are the last page of the auctions (not buy it nows). Looks like that one that was opened was hurt slightly and went for only $830. I'm glad I didn't sell right away. Gonna feel it out for a bit.

Me too. Now the next question for me is should I slab it or not?

• Options
    edited November 19, 2019 8:34PM

@opportunity said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@JimTyler said:

Also note that the coin that sold for $830 was "in hand" and obviously opened. The other sets are presumably sealed (the "confirmed" order text or the use of the Mint's stock photo suggesting that it hasn't been opened). If this trend continues, it would suggest a premium for unopened sets.

• Options
    RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 12:11 Friday order it's not due until Monday.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • Options

@Raufus said:
    My 12:11 Friday order it's not due until Monday.

How were you able to order at 12:11 on Friday? They were sold out in jig time Friday morning. I don't think they add more throughout the day do they?

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen said:

@opportunity said:

Mine shipped FedEx SmartPost yesterday. It's sitting 200 miles from me right now and scheduled for delivery Monday the 25th!

Mine shipped Fri/15th and is supposed to arrive Wed/27th. That's messed up.

Whatever...I paid for slow shipping. I'm getting my money's worth.
    Lance.

• Options

@BAJJERFAN said:

@opportunity said:

Yeah, mine got shipped last night, got the order in on the morning of 11/15.

I was waiting for the dreaded cancellation message, but mine is on it's way! Smartpost, but on it's way! :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file