Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Isn’t it sad...

Comments

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dunno, I don’t mind when it happens since there’s few things more fun than reconnecting them.

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please expand your comment. Where was this beautiful piece from?

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay images are s'posed to show the whole slab.

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2019 9:35PM

This coin looks super familiar to me but I can't put my finger on it.

Edit.. This is the Eliasberg coin. Yes it's sad. That's the best pedigree out there!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unattributed DDR (FS-802) to boot?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

For better or worse, coins lose their provenance all the time.

Remember this thread?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/988150/appreciating-james-a-stack

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was it a TDN coin? Seems to have a few too many hits for a 66. Did it used to be a MS 65 coin in your holdings?

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly a beautiful Trade Dollar....one would believe it was in a great collection (as it was)....such coins rarely appear 'out of nowhere'....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eliasberg, indeed

• Options
    AercusAercus Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

It's sad but also a little strange to me. In the art world, provenance is super important. Without it, even a painting that has all the hallmarks of, say Picasso, and proper dating and analysis of materials, etc., may not be 'certified' as one. Here, we tend to accept coins at face value if they have the 'look', regardless of history or lack thereof.

PS: if you get upset about how much influence cac or the tpgs have in the coin market, please don't read about the rare art market!

Aercus Numismatics - Certified coins for sale

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

I am glad you are using the term Provenance as opposed to Pedigree. Provenance fits coins better.

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2, 2019 7:20AM

But the big difference with coins is that even though Eliasberg is one of the many temporary guardians in this coins history, I don't think that Eliasberg was the creator of this fine art.

@Aercus said:
    It's sad but also a little strange to me. In the art world, provenance is super important. Without it, even a painting that has all the hallmarks of, say Picasso, and proper dating and analysis of materials, etc., may not be 'certified' as one. Here, we tend to accept coins at face value if they have the 'look', regardless of history or lack thereof.

PS: if you get upset about how much influence cac or the tpgs have in the coin market, please don't read about the rare art market!

• Options
    TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII said:
    A coin with a documented Provenance detailing the ownership history of same from when it was minted to the present day is very interesting and appealing.

Much more than an identical coin without a Provenance.

However, why is it that Provenance of a coin whose ownership chain consists of mint/government officials, coin dealers and collectors with high public profiles and notoriety is deemed "better" and "more desirable" than a Provenance of an identical coin whose ownership chain consists of persons who would be described as "average Joes"?

Human nature is funny. People desire to be connected with others who are famous, even if the connection is limited to purchasing and owning a hair brush that was owned by Marilyn Monroe or a beat up 1964 Kennedy half dollar that was found at the bottom of a dresser owned by Jackie Kennedy.

It's all about how interesting of a story it is to tell. If I told you this beat up half half dollar was in my Dad's drawer how interesting would you find that? You have never meet or heard of my Dad. But what if it was a famous person? How about someone with a connection to the person depicted on the coin? Now that is a story, that is more interesting.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought if you could prove the Provenance you could have it added back. Certainly this could should be easy to prove.

• Options
    TyrockTyrock Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

Yes it is sad when a coin loses its provenance. The provenance is part of the history of the coin. I wonder how many Pogue coins have already been broken out of their holders?

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Removing the Provenance may make it easier to slip it into a higher grade in the future. o:)

Never looked at it like that, Skip.

A stealth coin. HMMM

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hate it when ANY OGH or Fatty is cracked, so yes, this is especially disturbing. :(

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fwiw - that coin graded 66 in 1997

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

That makes it WORSE. :'(

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    edited October 6, 2019 2:11AM

@tradedollarnut said:

It has an old school TrueView too. These days, it's a pop 13/10.

The provenance isn't listed by PCGS, but perhaps they can add it back like they've done for others?

• Options
    edited October 6, 2019 7:25AM

I just noticed that the coin is now in a Gold Shield holder which was only available after Jan 1, 2018.

Given this, I wonder if the MS66 grade was reviewed and reconfirmed in 2018 or 2019. There is a noticeable gouge between the 3rd and 4th stars.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aercus said:

It isn't strange, as there is no equivalence between coins or most other collectible fields. I haven't read much on art but I presume that what you describe is partly to confirm authenticity. This mostly doesn't apply to coins, since most of the time it can be compared to another one.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020 9:48AM

@Insider2 said:
    Removing the Provenance may make it easier to slip it into a higher grade in the future. o:)

Yes. This is the only reason for doing so. Removing the provenance (assuming the collection to which it was tied was really important) would decrease the value of the coin in the eyes of some (possibly all) potential buyers.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020 9:48AM

It's about as sad as a slab losing a CAC sticker.

Collect the coin, not the previous owner.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

MUCH worse in my opinion.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭

Still MS 66 all day and all night long.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal awesome reconnect to Parmelee

• Options
    edited January 25, 2020 1:48PM

@cardinal said:

@Boosibri said:
    One of my favorite activities has been tracing and reestablishing the provenances of coin in my collection.

So, when I purchased this coin from a Heritage auction, there was no provenance listed whatsoever and it had not been seen by CAC.

After researching the coin (as it does have some unique markers), I discovered its true provenance, which was listed when I sold it in 2013:

Pedigree: George F. Seavey, 1873; Lorin G. Parmelee; New York Stamp & Coin Co.'s sale of June 1890, lot 775; Harlan P. Smith; Dr. Henry W. Beckwith; S.H. Chapman's sale of April 1923, lot 19; S.H. Chapman; George W. Bowers; J. C. Morgenthau and Co.'s Sale #404, July 1939, lot 648; Judge Thomas L. Gaskill; New Netherlands Coin Co., November 1956; Dorothy I. Paschal; New Netherlands Coin Co.'s Sale #50, December 1957, lot 1123; F. Dabney Caldwell, Jr.; our (Stack's) sale of April 1988, lot 2016; Tony Terranova; Gilbert Steinberg Collection; Superior's sale of September 1996, lot 1567; Don Anderson Collection; Heritage's Forth Worth, TX ANA Sale, March 2010, lot 112; Cardinal Collection.

It's just a shame when the provenance is lost!

Awesome accomplishment for adding it back.

Are auction descriptions the only major way to keep track of detailed provenance lists like this?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cardinal said:

@Boosibri said:
    One of my favorite activities has been tracing and reestablishing the provenances of coin in my collection.

So, when I purchased this coin from a Heritage auction, there was no provenance listed whatsoever and it had not been seen by CAC.

After researching the coin (as it does have some unique markers), I discovered its true provenance, which was listed when I sold it in 2013:

Pedigree: George F. Seavey, 1873; Lorin G. Parmelee; New York Stamp & Coin Co.'s sale of June 1890, lot 775; Harlan P. Smith; Dr. Henry W. Beckwith; S.H. Chapman's sale of April 1923, lot 19; S.H. Chapman; George W. Bowers; J. C. Morgenthau and Co.'s Sale #404, July 1939, lot 648; Judge Thomas L. Gaskill; New Netherlands Coin Co., November 1956; Dorothy I. Paschal; New Netherlands Coin Co.'s Sale #50, December 1957, lot 1123; F. Dabney Caldwell, Jr.; our (Stack's) sale of April 1988, lot 2016; Tony Terranova; Gilbert Steinberg Collection; Superior's sale of September 1996, lot 1567; Don Anderson Collection; Heritage's Forth Worth, TX ANA Sale, March 2010, lot 112; Cardinal Collection.

I can't believe that this coin is only a VF35! Really nice!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought the same...mustta been an EAC grader that wanted to buy it cheap! :p

@DIMEMAN said:

@cardinal said:

@Boosibri said:

I can't believe that this coin is only a VF35! Really nice!

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not really. I value coins and not the temporary guardians that store them.

• Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

Was it in a slab holder with Eliasberg noted or was it before dipping and you recognized it?

As it appears now, I would have had a hard time matching it to the Eliasberg catalog. It would take someone who had previous knowledge of it to tie it back easily.

Here are some captures from the 1996 Eliasberg catalog as it appears on the Newman Numismatic Portal which then leads to the enlargeable catalogs on archive.org. Sold for $13.200 in 1996.

Looks like there are some remaining toning areas just enough to match it up if you already know it is the same coin. Like the toning below the left armpit area and around the 3rd star, plus a few others, unless in-person shows more obvious markers. Otherwise, seems like this one could easily become permanently disconnected from Eliasberg.

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/auctionlots?AucCoId=4&AuctionId=525063

https://archive.org/details/louiseeliasbergs1997bowe/page/360/mode/2up

Color photo is partially cut off online:

And from the Ebay listing:

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is why I always ask sellers if they can tell me any information about a coin's origin or how it came into their possession, story can make a coin much more interesting than it would be otherwise. I recently picked up a sub-100 world crown, which was listed without any description of where it came from; when asked, the seller identified the coin as a souvenir from the Second World War brought back by his father, and provided his name, rank, and Navy vessel. Part of the story that would have been lost otherwise.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:

Yes and no. I just bought something pedigreed to John J Ford. I didn't buy it BECAUSE of the pedigree (and if I didn't like it, the pedigree wouldn't have changed my mind), but I do appreciate that I now hold something that someone of Ford's stature considered worthy of his collection.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea, sad. I'm all broken up.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

how many of these high cost coins are really sold on the bay of E?

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

@ms70 said:

To each his own. But the way I look at it, a coin is just a lump of metal without the information it conveys, so it makes perfect sense that more information can make for a better coin.

You make a good point MrEureka. I respect it........and.......I suspect ms70 is being somewhat facetious. Either way, I think you're BOTH right.

• Options

It seems from most of the responses here a coin's provenance is only important if the previous custodian was a millionaire. Sort of like people being star-struck by a Hollywood celebrity.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ms70 said:
    It seems from most of the responses here a coin's provenance is only important if the previous custodian was a millionaire. Sort of like people being star-struck by a Hollywood celebrity.

I'm not sure I agree in general, although there are relatively few provenances I personally would care much about. And I imagine all of those folks were pretty well off.

As an aside, there are over 5 million millionaires in the US nowadays. A million bucks ain't what it used to be.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@ms70 said:

I'm not sure I agree in general, although there are relatively few provenances I personally would care much about. And I imagine all of those folks were pretty well off.

As an aside, there are over 5 million millionaires in the US nowadays. A million bucks ain't what it used to be.

Maybe I should've more accurately stated multi-kajillionaire. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file