Options

The Never Ending FRIDAY Metals Thread!

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool bar! 👍

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 19,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW -so much silver and gold glitter. These pics are truly beautiful and then some.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    I got these yesterday for melt plus $50 each. >:)

Nice pickup - post a pic of the reverse if you could...

Do you remember the price of these when the RCM released them?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold at a good price is always welcome. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@taxmad said:

@asheland said:
    I got these yesterday for melt plus $50 each. >:)

Nice pickup - post a pic of the reverse if you could...

Do you remember the price of these when the RCM released them?

When they were originally offered I wasn’t aware of them. It was several years later that I read an article about them and was intrigued.

I have a better shot of the 1914:

• Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2021 10:41AM

Who's got some nuggets???

I've had the gold one for a long while.. I recently picked up the silver one.. No idea if it's legit so feel free to chime in B)

These both weight in @ about 26 grams..

• Options

Actually last week's purchase but it arrived this week. This week I order a PAMP bar with Lady Fortuna on it (and I don't know why.)

• Options

@crazyhounddog.... WOW!!! Now THAT is a DCAM beauty..... Very, very nice. Cheers, RickO

• Options

You know, I was comparing year of the tiger bars from Argor Heraeus and PAMP and there's no doubt the PAMP bar is more artsy fartsy. Oh, and this just arrived:

• Options
    FullHornFullHorn Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's Friday somewhere.

• Options
    crito_is_baaackcrito_is_baaack Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2021 3:17AM

Modern U.S. bullion just seems like a cheap imitation to me. There are literally a quarter of a million common date St Gaudens certified by PCGS in MS64. It's as close as your can come to a fungible numismatic widget. 1924 or 1927 really doesn't matter. So I disagree coin collecting is a hobby not an investment. It can be both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Rbk1FK6xc

• Options

The 'chip' is a nice addition... Can use the phone to verify, research value/auctions.... Great tool. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    The 'chip' is a nice addition... Can use the phone to verify, research value/auctions.... Great tool. Cheers, RickO

I like the chip slabs, but my phone is too old to read them. :D

• Options

@asheland....Time to upgrade buddy.... If an old fart such as myself can do it, so can you... :D;) Cheers, RickO

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    It isn’t Friday yet, but I JUST got a cool one!
    $250. Eight cents under spot. :D

I have yet to acquire one of those in 10 ounce.
    Shoot me a message if it's headed to the classifieds section.
    We might head out this afternoon to try a new vacuum

• Options

@ricko said:
    @asheland....Time to upgrade buddy.... If an old fart such as myself can do it, so can you... :D;) Cheers, RickO

:p

• Options
    edited December 18, 2021 2:31PM

I almost feel guilty I got it for $3165. :blush:

Same assay size as 1 oz -- plat is really dense stuff -- so could actually squeeze 2500 grams instead of 777 in my little red Valcambi box. :smiley:

• Options

@crito_is_baaack said:
    I almost feel guilty I got it for $3165. :blush:

Same assay size as 1 oz -- plat is really dense stuff -- so could actually squeeze 2500 grams instead of 777 in my little red Valcambi box. :smiley:

100 gram platinum!? That’s pretty awesome! 👍

• Options

@asheland said:

100 gram platinum!? That’s pretty awesome! 👍

Yeah, 100 makes math easy too, 31.65 x 31.1 = $984.32 a troy oz delivered to my door. Place I bought it seem to have increased the premium just in the last couple days though. They had already raised it on the 1 oz bars. Barflation I guess... :lol:

• Options

Nice pick up. 👍

• Options

So one of you metal gurus explain to me why 100g gold bar costs more per oz than a 1 oz bar on ebay? At Bullion Exchanges for example it's $1899/ozt in 100g bars and $1894 in fancy Credit Suisse white assay packaging right now. I mean, it's triple the packaging costs at the very least. I just don't get it, the more I buy the more per unit it costs me. Noticed that with some items at Walmart lately too BTW. Costs more per unit to buy the two pack than two singles. Boggles my mind, truly. I guess the two packs of locks are just rarer and more in demand, I dunno. :slapself:

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crito_is_baaack said:
    So one of you metal gurus explain to me why 100g gold bar costs more per oz than a 1 oz bar on ebay? At Bullion Exchanges for example it's $1899/ozt in 100g bars and $1894 in fancy Credit Suisse white assay packaging right now. I mean, it's triple the packaging costs at the very least. I just don't get it, the more I buy the more per unit it costs me. Noticed that with some items at Walmart lately too BTW. Costs more per unit to buy the two pack than two singles. Boggles my mind, truly. I guess the two packs of locks are just rarer and more in demand, I dunno. :slapself:

The one ounce gold bars in the fancy packaging have been heavily counterfeited for some time now. I won't buy them and prefer the one ounce gold coins made by the major government mints.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@FullHorn .... Wow... very nice.... Must have been a huge pile of 90% silver... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@crito_is_baaack said:

2 things come to mind.
    On the buying in bulk,
    maybe the store thinks the consumer won't notice because they think bulk is always better.

On the locks?
    Is the 2 pack keyed the same?
    That's why they cost more.

• Options

yeah, they're keyed the same but that doesn't cost them more, it just costs me more. Anywho...

I won't buy Perth Mint gold bars after seeing this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH7oOH04f-8

The fake PAMP bars never look as good but these would fool me just from a photo on ebay.

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2021 9:51AM

@PerryHall said:

The one ounce gold bars in the fancy packaging have been heavily counterfeited for some time now. I won't buy them and prefer the one ounce gold coins made by the major government mints.

My Local drills all 1oz bars coming into the shop due to counterfeits

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    edited December 20, 2021 10:37AM

If gold keeps going down this morning I'm going to have to buy another bar. Think I'll sell it to someone with one of those xray machines like in the video though. The guy I currently use drills holes in every Silver American Eagle he touches, because of all the counterfeits. :wink:

• Options

@crito_is_baaack.... Really? He holes ASE's?? Must only buy for the refiners then....Cheers, RickO

• Options

Honestly I don't like any bars in gold. This video is exactly why.

• Options
    edited December 20, 2021 8:11PM

@asheland said:

I'd bet a nickel you'd like this one :)

BUT yeah I get your point.
    Just do all the checks and balances to verify it's legit, preferably before you buy.

• Options

@rte592 said:

@asheland said:

I'd bet a nickel you'd like this one :)

BUT yeah I get your point.
    Just do all the checks and balances to verify it's legit, preferably before you buy.

That’s an exception for sure. 👍

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it would straight grade. The scuff or scratch on the reverse looks like it was acquired as part of normal circulation many years ago. Let us know what grade you get.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was able to finally get a bullion issue 1/4oz plat from the BST. Thanks RobM!

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    edited December 22, 2021 9:03AM

Cool worn gold and nice score on the platinum, a first year issue as well!

• Options

Nice grease bar!

• Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LukeMarshall said:
    Nice grease bar!

Couldn't pass it up at spot.

• Options