Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Kaepernick PC

Comments

• Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

Kaepernick, Steve Young Passing the torch card #/49! I already have the autographed version.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those Flawless cards with the gemstones are pretty amazing. Cards have just come so incredibly far since I was a kid. I can't imagine what would have been said if it was announced that diamond chips would inserted into cards back in the 1980s. But here we are, and I've got an Alworth in my collection. Interesting times. I guess it goes back to the short discussion we had a few months ago about how tough it mush be to continue to generate new card designs. They just have to keep pushing the envelope. Very nice pick ups, as always.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

Thanks Todd! I agree, those gemstone cards do look amazing. I can't believe they made a diamond gem card for Alworth too! I would have never thought that.Glad you got one though! My apologies for the delayed response ( things got a bit hectic). I think they may have emerald and rubies as well. I doubt I'll be picking up anymore gemstone cards though, unless the price is so good I can't pass it up. Happy new year to you and your family!

• Options

Adding this graded Kaepernick Rookies and Stars Crusade Blue!

• Options

A Kaepernick 2013 Donruss Elite Status numbered to 49!

• Options

Adding a Kaepernick Prizm Brilliance!

• Options

2014 Donruss Elite face 2 face card with both Kaep and Russell Wilson!

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! With all the shiny stuff to look at, I still like the cards with full on field pictures way more than the players in chrome or players in space motifs. Great collection!

• Options

@Frozencaribou said:
    Nice! With all the shiny stuff to look at, I still like the cards with full on field pictures way more than the players in chrome or players in space motifs. Great collection!

Thanks Frozencaribou!
    I love all of the creative ways sportscards are made these days (even the shiny/ Chrome designs). They definitely know how to keep us buying! The full on field pictures are awesome (especially in game)! The ones I have of Kaepernick like that are cool because they always show him in motion either eluding defenders, or in the process of throwing the ball.

• Options

Adding a Kaep Sweet Spot Auto!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are all these cards from his playing career and not from his second career as a, um, social activist?

• Options

@daltex said:
    Are all these cards from his playing career and not from his second career as a, um, social activist?

Yep! All of these cards was produced during his playing career. Its amazing that he has so many cards (even RC's), and he wasn't even drafted first round.

• Options

@Parkerplenty123 said:

@daltex said:

Yep! All of these cards was produced during his playing career. Its amazing that he has so many cards (even RC's), and he wasn't even drafted first round.

See this is what I'm thinking. Tyler Naquin must have the same number of cards. A brief flash of excitement and an otherwise undistinguished career, and hundreds of cards. It boggles the mind.

• Options
    edited February 7, 2021 8:04PM

@daltex said:
    See this is what I'm thinking. Tyler Naquin must have the same number of cards. A brief flash of excitement and an otherwise undistinguished career, and hundreds of cards. It boggles the mind.

Kaepernick is so far a superior athlete and talent, that i can't even compare the two professionally or otherwise (factually speaking).

Kaepernick's playing career was far from "undistinguished" though. Outside of being drafted in the first round, Naquin hasnt done much to date.

• Options

@Parkerplenty123 said:

@daltex said:

Kaepernick is so far a superior athlete and talent, that i can't even compare the two professionally or otherwise (factually speaking).

Kaepernick's playing career was far from "undistinguished" though. Outside of being drafted in the first round, Naquin hasnt done much to date.

It's hard for me to find one number at Pro-Football-Reference.com that is even a rough number to use in comparing players of different positions and eras like WAR can be used, however imperfectly, for baseball. Naquin finished third in Rookie of the Year. I see that in both 2013 and 2014 Kaepernick was voted #81 on the list of NFL top 100. He was never named to a Pro Bowl or was a First Team All Pro. He may very well be athletic and talented, but nothing I can see shows that he used it to be any better a football player than Naquin is a baseball player. My point is that neither has done much, and yet one has hundreds of cards.

• Options
    nendeenendee Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

How is this consistently the most popular thread?

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • Options

Cool looking cards and a very passionate collector usually make for pretty good posts.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options

@daltex said:

It's hard for me to find one number at Pro-Football-Reference.com that is even a rough number to use in comparing players of different positions and eras like WAR can be used, however imperfectly, for baseball. Naquin finished third in Rookie of the Year. I see that in both 2013 and 2014 Kaepernick was voted #81 on the list of NFL top 100. He was never named to a Pro Bowl or was a First Team All Pro. He may very well be athletic and talented, but nothing I can see shows that he used it to be any better a football player than Naquin is a baseball player. My point is that neither has done much, and yet one has hundreds of cards

I think we have very different interpretations of the word "undistinguished". As a result, we will "see" things differently. Including facts and what is to be considered "worthy" on field accomplishments. I think we can agree that card companies are in the business of making money. They must have seen something during his playing career that caused them to make so many. It might have been Kaep's potential, or demand from the market, or both.

Kaep has not hundreds, but thousands of cards. Its a daunting task, but I'm gonna try to get as many as I can.

• Options

@daltex said:

@Parkerplenty123 said:

@daltex said:

It's hard for me to find one number at Pro-Football-Reference.com that is even a rough number to use in comparing players of different positions and eras like WAR can be used, however imperfectly, for baseball. Naquin finished third in Rookie of the Year. I see that in both 2013 and 2014 Kaepernick was voted #81 on the list of NFL top 100. He was never named to a Pro Bowl or was a First Team All Pro. He may very well be athletic and talented, but nothing I can see shows that he used it to be any better a football player than Naquin is a baseball player. My point is that neither has done much, and yet one has hundreds of cards.

This certainly isn't the thread for this comment. Throwing insults at a player in a thread of a passionate collector is wildly out of line.

Love all the cards Parker! Ignore the haters and keep them coming!

• Options

I have no intent to insult Kaepernick or the OP. I think Kaepernick will be known more in history than, say, Brees, but it will be almost entirely as a cultural icon. That's no insult. There is only one player in MLB who has had his number retired by all 30 teams, and his number is retired for absolutely nothing he did on the field.

My sole point is that it is amazing to see the immense variety of cards of a player who had a short and very ordinary career, bearing in mind that none of them were issued after he became a cultural icon. A secondary point, which I did not attempt to make before, is that it must be almost impossible to collect all the cards of any player who played more than a season or two and started his career in the past twenty years.

Nothing I have said should be interpreted as anything other than admiration for the OPs achievement to this point of his quest.

• Options

@AFLfan said:
    Cool looking cards and a very passionate collector usually make for pretty good posts.

@BriantheTaxGuy
    This certainly isn't the thread for this comment. Throwing insults at a player in a thread of a passionate collector is wildly out of line.

Love all the cards Parker! Ignore the haters and keep them coming!

Thank you @BriantheTaxGuy and Todd aka @AFLfan! I really appreciated reading the comments you guys left. To know the joy I have building this PC shines through the posts is probably one of the best compliments any collector can receive.

• Options

Kaep had nothing but an "ordinary career". 2 NFC title games and a super bowl appearance.

Playoff rushing record by a QB.

Had the league not blackballed him for his activism there's no telling how much more he could have done.

• Options

Adding a Kaepernick Crown Royale Rookie Royalty Auto with a jersey swatch. I already have one similar without the auto.

• Options

A Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson Playoff Pairings jersey card!

• Options

Adding another Kaep Rookie Auto!

• Options

Adding another (but different) Kaep Black Friday Cracked Ice card.

• Options

Adding a Kaepernick Die-Cut Prizm card. This one is called a Blue Pulsar!

• Options

Panini Prizm is a fascinating issue. I was looking at the 2020 football set and I believe each card has 58 different parallels. Incredible. I am not even sure how I feel about that much variety. I guess it is good because it offers something for everyone and every budget, but the set builder in me cringes whenever I see it. I guess ultimately this old dog has to learn a few new tricks to play around in the modern card world.

• Options

@AFLfan said:
    Panini Prizm is a fascinating issue. I was looking at the 2020 football set and I believe each card has 58 different parallels. Incredible. I am not even sure how I feel about that much variety. I guess it is good because it offers something for everyone and every budget, but the set builder in me cringes whenever I see it. I guess ultimately this old dog has to learn a few new tricks to play around in the modern card world.

Prizm are some cool looking cards. I understand the variety, but 58 different variations of one card does seem a bit extreme. It seems thats the way card collecting is going now, making completing a set more challenging than ever. I feel for set builders trying to build those Prizm sets. They are truly tests of commitment and fortitude (Lol). Imagine putting a set like that together though? That would be quite an accomplishment!!!

When I first started collecting cards, it was putting the Trilogy Signature Materials set together. It was rough introduction to card collecting for me. I was competing against set builders and player collectors. As a result, I found myself paying ALOT more just because I wanted so badly to complete the set. I was glad to finally put the set together, but I'm gonna think long and hard before attempting something like that again.

• Options

Adding a 2013 Bowman Kaepernick Silver Ice version. The picture doesn't really show how nice this card looks.

• Options

Adding a 2013 National Treasures Kaepernick Century Jersey Card!

• Options

Adding a Kaep Bowman Sterling Jersey Card!

• Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

Nice set of cards! Do you pick these up online or in person mostly? Also, what would you estimate the collection is worth in the raw ungraded format?

• Options

@canyoubelieveit said:
    Nice set of cards! Do you pick these up online or in person mostly? Also, what would you estimate the collection is worth in the raw ungraded format?

Thanks man! The pickups are from both online and in person. I've met some really cool/ generous collectors both ways, who have helped me to build the PC. As far as estimated worth, every card I have so far is worth more than I originally paid for them (raw or graded).

• Options

I have a really hard time buying ungraded stuff online, that's why I ask. In person buying is better but feels like a needle in a haystack situation for me most of the time.

• Options

I hear ya. In person is definitely better. You can inspect the card right there and maybe even work out a better deal!

There are many cards I would never have had the opportunity to get if they weren't for sale online.

• Options

Kaepernick and Davis Rookies and Stars Patch.

• Options

I have the 2015 topps super short print on Ebay if you are interested, make me an offer....

• Options

@mickcornett said:
    I have the 2015 topps super short print on Ebay if you are interested, make me an offer....

I really appreciate the offer, but I'm gonna pass.

• Options

Adding a couple more Kaep Rookies!

• Options

Adding a Kaepernick National Treasures Colossal Jersey card!

• Options

A Kaepernick Franchise Fabrics jersey card from Score!

• Options

A Kaep Absolute Tools of the trade jersey card!

• Options

Adding another, but this time Darker blue, Kaep Prizm card!

• Options

A Kaepernick Score Franchise Fabric Jersey card.

• Options

2011 Absolute Star Gazing Jersey Card!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2021 12:09AM

Awesome thread. Enjoyable. I applaud you

Keep up the good work!

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Awesome thread. Enjoyable. I applaud you

Keep up the good work!

m

Thanks man! I really appreciate that! Honestly, its been fun putting this together. I think because its been a no stress, no rush, no pressure project so far. Thanks again for passing through!

• Options

A Kaep Contenders Rookie Ticket MVP Auto!

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

Amazing collection! I don’t collect modern and am blown away by the level of dedication exhibited by collections like this.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's