Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Kaepernick PC

123457»

Comments

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭

I am curious if your spending habits have changed dramatically over the years with regard to buying his cards since you started this thread or if they have stayed roughly the same?

I have really been looking hard at what I spend lately on my primary player collection, Steve Garvey. Of course, he has been retired and mostly out of the sport since the late 80s, so not a lot to change peoples opinions of him. He's had a few scandalous moments and his HOF chances seem to be borderline at best, even with the Veterans committee holding the keys.

At one point I wanted to have the best and most complete Garvey collection out there and fought very hard for every unique card that showed up to maintain that status (or as close to it as possible), but lately, I have decided that I just don't want to spend $100+ on every other new 1/1 the card makers are spitting out, as many more are still coming and will probably never end, and he isn't even that popular these days as a card subject. I still love picking up new Garvey cards I don't have, but have decided that there needs to be a limit on what I spend moving forward and after I finally gave up complete hope of having them all (thanks to Leaf mostly), its been a lot easier.

Good luck with the chase!

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    Parkerplenty123Parkerplenty123 Posts: 419 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2023 1:18PM

@mrmopar said:
    I am curious if your spending habits have changed dramatically over the years with regard to buying his cards since you started this thread or if they have stayed roughly the same?

I have really been looking hard at what I spend lately on my primary player collection, Steve Garvey. Of course, he has been retired and mostly out of the sport since the late 80s, so not a lot to change peoples opinions of him. He's had a few scandalous moments and his HOF chances seem to be borderline at best, even with the Veterans committee holding the keys.

At one point I wanted to have the best and most complete Garvey collection out there and fought very hard for every unique card that showed up to maintain that status (or as close to it as possible), but lately, I have decided that I just don't want to spend $100+ on every other new 1/1 the card makers are spitting out, as many more are still coming and will probably never end, and he isn't even that popular these days as a card subject. I still love picking up new Garvey cards I don't have, but have decided that there needs to be a limit on what I spend moving forward and after I finally gave up complete hope of having them all (thanks to Leaf mostly), its been a lot easier.

Good luck with the chase!

Hi there,

My spending has basically stayed the same. I have other hobbies/ interests that take up resources as well and definitely help to keep my spending habits on Sportscards in check.

Evaluating how much you are spending is always a good thing. People's opinions can and often do change over time, so you never know what can happen. Even if Garvey doesn't make it into the HOF, I hope that doesn't diminish your joy in collecting him.

As one player collector to another, Kudos to you for being a baseball player collector though. Baseball is huge, and the amount of competition for cards in that sport (from the outside looking in) seems crazy! Basketball is even worse. You must often find yourself in some fierce competition for cards. If it's not from other Garvey collectors, its set collectors, and/or team collectors. You may even find yourself competing against logo man collectors and bat barrel collectors etc. If your collection is posted here, I'm definitely going to check it out!

That is where the fun is.... in the chase! I get so excited every time I get to add new card to the PC.

Early on, I used to have the same idea of wanting to have the best Kaepernick collection out here. But was that really even possible or even realistic? Does that even mean that much to me? Collecting Kaepernick's cards is just something I do (it's one of many hobbies), but myself as a person, is So MUCH more than that. So maintaining some form of "status" was never a factor. Honestly, I look at it like this: I might not have THE BEST Kaepernick collection there is, and that's okay. But it's the best I'm able to put together, and that will have to do.

You seem to have come up with a great plan on how you will proceed with your PC going forward. Now all that's left is to execute it! Thanks for your post and happy collecting!

• Options

Happy 36th Birthday Colin!
    Adding this Graded Exquisite Endorsements Auto to the PC!

• Options

Heard he got a job at Walmart last week. Good for him !

• Options

Adding 3 more of this type/ style of Kaepernick card! The Purple, Red Power, and Panini Version!

• Options

Adding this Kaep and Russell Wilson Rivals card!

• Options

Adding a few more Kaep's! A base national convention (I already have the silver version), a blue Men at Arms, and a Pink Prizm!

• Options

Adding another auto!

• Options

Adding this Kaepernick Luxe card with a piece of game worn jersey /5!

• Options
    edited January 18, 2024 9:47PM

Adding another Kaep to the PC! Nothing special. I just really like the design of this one!

• Options

Adding this Kaepernick rookie auto on an 8x10. The autograph on this is huge!!!

• Options
    FirstBeardFirstBeard Posts: 468 ✭✭✭

Great collection. Do you want the 49ers to win?

• Options
    edited January 27, 2024 10:01PM

@FirstBeard said:
    Great collection. Do you want the 49ers to win?

Thanks man! Honestly, I would like to see Lamar get his ring or Mahomes to get another one. It would be a great football story if the Lions won this year.

• Options

Adding this NFL Shield version of this Kaep Prizm card. I already have the base/silver, blue, red white blue, 49ers logo, green, orange, green/yellow, light blue wave, purple, red power, and Panini logo versions of this same style of card (12 in total)!

• Options

Adding a couple more Kaeps! A Silver Crown Royale Men at Arms and a Strata!

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if I missed it, but how are you storing / displaying your Kap collection? Would love to see any photos of your entire stash. Incredible collection!

• Options

@detroitfan2 said:
    Sorry if I missed it, but how are you storing / displaying your Kap collection? Would love to see any photos of your entire stash. Incredible collection!

Thanks for the compliment, and taking the time to check out the PC. I really appreciate that.

The cards are put in penny sleeves, and then into top loaders. Lower end/ easier replaceable cards are stored in cardboard boxes, and high end/low numbered cards are in a safe deposit box at my local bank. This thread contains pics of the entire collection with updates.

• Options

What team or sport (badmitton ? ) does this guy have aspects for ?

• Options

Adding a Topps Finest/150 and Topps Supreme numbered to 99 to the PC!

• Options

Adding this Kaep Jersey card!

• Options

Adding 3 more cards to the PC!

• Options

Adding 3 more Kaep's to the PC! A Blue Prizm, Yellow Strata, and a Topps Finest XFractor!