Home Precious Metals
Options

FED panics over dollar funding, QE next step?

Comments

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@OPA said:
    AIG was not allowed to fail...& didn't

so you're predicting more QE as am I.

Changing subjects now? You make a good politician.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

you're the one who brought up AIG.

They were bailed out with QE, right?

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2019 6:32AM

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    as stated earlier, counterparty risk is not it.
    we would hear about counterparty risk in other markets, too. i.e. derivatives market and with CDS.

this is a lack of cash crisis and for those under the federal reserve umbrella a required reserve deficiency for those that had such.

funny how there's a lack of cash issue until one bank is willing to pay another bank 10% overnight interest for some of the cash.

Tells me some banks are much better positioned in cash than others. The ones with a shortage would certainly be viewed as a risk by those with the cash.

if you had a bunch of holdings for trades you would want an attractive rate to close out and loan overnight.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    we would hear about counterparty risk in other markets, too. i.e. derivatives market and with CDS.

this is a lack of cash crisis and for those under the federal reserve umbrella a required reserve deficiency for those that had such.

And speaking of counter party risk in the derivatives markets, a failing Deutsche Bank holds a $43T derivatives book that puts many major US financial institutions at great risk. I'm sure that is on the mind of those institutions when asked by DB for an overnight loan. LOL

say DB needs cash. DB is a primary dealer. They can go to the Fed, put up Treasuries as collateral and get the cash,

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2019 6:59AM

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Would be interesting to know how much of this recent FED repo money is designed to keep DB afloat. We'll know soon enough. It's no secret that I have been forecasting DB's coming failure and the pending disaster it poses for all the US financial institutions caught up in it's massive derivative book. I'm now on the record that this whole FED repo fiasco is completely about prevent DB from taking the system down. Just how long it can be kept a secret remains to be seen.

these are not afloat operations. this is a manipulation of required reserves and cash available to the secondary repo market.

these are overnight loans and 14 days loans. they don't have any staying power to keep anything afloat.

• Options

today's repo was under subscribed

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:

funny how there's a lack of cash issue until one bank is willing to pay another bank 10% overnight interest for some of the cash.

Tells me some banks are much better positioned in cash than others. The ones with a shortage would certainly be viewed as a risk by those with the cash.

if you had a bunch of holdings for trades you would want an attractive rate to close out and loan overnight.

Sure, but why all of a sudden after ten years of these banks being satisfied with the fed funds rate set by the FED. All of a sudden they want much more.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:

Would be interesting to know how much of this recent FED repo money is designed to keep DB afloat. We'll know soon enough. It's no secret that I have been forecasting DB's coming failure and the pending disaster it poses for all the US financial institutions caught up in it's massive derivative book. I'm now on the record that this whole FED repo fiasco is completely about prevent DB from taking the system down. Just how long it can be kept a secret remains to be seen.

these are not afloat operations. this is a manipulation of required reserves and cash available to the secondary repo market.

these are overnight loans and 14 days loans. they don't have any staying power to keep anything afloat.

sure, understand. They get the bank through the night. But the FED has been having to jump in every day for over two weeks. Someone is in trouble.

• Options
    edited October 1, 2019 8:29AM

Australia’s central bank cuts interest rates to new all-time low
    https://www.ft.com/content/79a3b602-e400-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc

Treasury yields sink after ISM manufacturing gauge stays in contraction territory
    https://www.marketwatch.com/story/treasury-yields-surge-after-japan-bond-auction-sees-tepid-demand-2019-10-01

Global bond markets came under pressure in the morning in the wake of an auction for Japanese government bonds. The sale saw its biggest “tail” for a 10-year note since 2015, a sign that the auction struggled to draw interest from market participants. The tail is the amount by which the highest yield the Treasury sold in the auction exceeds the highest yield expected when the auction began.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-fed-repo/n-y-fed-awards-54-85-billion-in-overnight-repos-idUSKBN1WG3WM
    NEW YORK (Reuters) - The New York Federal Reserve on Tuesday awarded $54.85 billion to primary dealers at an operation of overnight repurchase agreements in an effort to maintain the federal funds rate within its target range of 1.75%-2.00%.

Tuesday’s amount was smaller than the $63.5 billion in overnight repos the regional central bank awarded on Monday, the New York Fed website showed.

The general collateral repo rate USONRP= was bid at 1.98% at 8:47 a.m. EST, unchanged from prior to the operation.

Too big to lend? JPMorgan's cash tweaks take toll on U.S. repo
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-repo-jpmorgan-analysis/too-big-to-lend-jpmorgans-cash-tweaks-take-toll-on-us-repo-idUSKBN1WG439

• Options

"You Can't Make Them Lend"

Fed wrestles with role of regulation in repo squeeze
    Breakdown in overnight lending exacerbated by banks’ preference for reserves

https://www.ft.com/content/45a9c196-e231-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc

• Options

• Options
    edited October 2, 2019 3:37PM

you trust ZH so much that you'd post a link to them despite one of ZH's links has already been posted here????????

trust ZH trusting reuters to make it trustable?

{and note the extreme similarities between ZH and reuters}

• Options

anyway I thought you went on record that it was a DB bailout.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    "You Can't Make Them Lend"

Fed wrestles with role of regulation in repo squeeze
    Breakdown in overnight lending exacerbated by banks’ preference for reserves

https://www.ft.com/content/45a9c196-e231-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc

ZH missed this one:

“We have plenty of liquidity,” said the chief financial officer of a top-10 US bank. “We are just choosing not to lend it out overnight to hedge funds.”

here it is using a google link:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiHranGz_7kAhUPXsAKHb5_BXMQFjACegQICxAH&url=https://www.ft.com/content/45a9c196-e231-11e9-9743-db5a370481bc&usg=AOvVaw0SUe_uQsip6hayX5vLw5tF

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    anyway I thought you went on record that it was a DB bailout.

The "news" is saying that I was wrong. LOL.

• Options
    edited October 2, 2019 6:39PM

https://apps.newyorkfed.org/markets/autorates/tomo-results-display?SHOWMORE=TRUE&startDate=01/01/2000&enddate=01/01/2000

Deal Date: Wednesday, October 02, 2019
    Delivery Date: Wednesday, October 02, 2019
    Maturity Date: Thursday, October 03, 2019
    Type of Operation: Repo
    Auction Method: Multiple Price
    Settlement: Same Day
    Term of Operation - Calendar Days : 1 Day
    Term of Operation - Business Days : 1 Day
    Operation Close Time: 08:30 AM

Results Amount ($B) Rate (%)

Total 42.050

https://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/domestic-market-operations/monetary-policy-implementation/repo-reverse-repo-agreements/repurchase-agreement-operational-details

$42 out of $75

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right! Goldman Sachs wouldn't allow it.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

today's repo $33.55B / $75B

• Options

@jmski52 said:

Lehman was allowed to fail. . . & did.

• Options

@jmski52 said:

Nonsense.....you can thank the FEDS for bailing them out with a $182 billion loan that was fully repaid by 2012 with a nice profit to the feds.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still no panic that I can see, fake newz from zero hedge and gold at $1506. Wake me up when the panic really starts.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Still no panic that I can see, fake newz from zero hedge and gold at $1506. Wake me up when the panic really starts.

Heavens forbid...fake news or fabricated news from ZH.....what's this world coming to. ;)

• Options

@OPA said:

@blitzdude said:

Heavens forbid...fake news or fabricated news from ZH.....what's this world coming to. ;)

read this first:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-repo-jpmorgan-analysis/too-big-to-lend-jpmorgans-cash-tweaks-take-toll-on-us-repo-idUSKBN1WG439

then read this:
    https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/here-megabank-behind-septembers-repo-shock

• Options

Agree...."and note the extreme similarities between ZH and reuters"

• Options
    edited October 3, 2019 7:43PM

Nonsense.....you can thank the FEDS for bailing them out with a $182 billion loan that was fully repaid by 2012 with a nice profit to the feds.

Double Secret Probation! You really believe that good old Hank Paulson wasn't running interference for Goldman Sachs with his TARP bailouts? Do you really think that AIG became so much more profitable after being bailed out and shrunk down in size such that it's shares rose to the extent that they could pay off their TARP loan at a profit? Really? Did AIG and Goldman become that much more profitable? How so? Gimme a break.

Reference what's been going on with the missing $21 trillion or more that was stashed in the DoD and HUD books that's now gone "dark" under FASAB 56 for national security "reasons", or do you think that's fake news too?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

Reference what's been going on with the missing $21 trillion or more that was stashed in the DoD and HUD books that's now gone "dark" under FASAB 56 for national security "reasons", or do you think that's fake news too?

Yes. Analyzing faulty data will not produce a legitimate result.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

1+1=11

keceph `anah
  • Options

Faulty data from gov.com? Shirley, you jest.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@jmski52 said:

Didn't AIG owe a lot of money to Goldman Sachs at the time ?
    If so, that would be a major incentive for Goldman Sachs to utilize their influence with the Federal Reserve to make sure AIG got bailed out.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2019 1:26AM

@derryb said:

@jmski52 said:

I note that member banks (owners) of the Federal Reserve (such as Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan Chase, etc) received bailout assistance in 2008 but other entities such as Lehman Brothers who were not in the "club" were let go.

Bear Stearns also failed in the crisis of 2008. Although they were not members/owners of the Fed, the Fed initially offered a bailout loan to Bear Stearns. But that initial loan offer was withdrawn. Later, a different loan was actually made - but only AFTER it had been arranged for Bear Stearns to be folded into JP Morgan Chase.

• Options

@dcarr said:

@derryb said:

@jmski52 said:

I note that member banks (owners) of the Federal Reserve (such as Bank of America, Citi, Wells Fargo, JP Morgan Chase, etc) received bailout assistance in 2008 but other entities such as Lehman Brothers who were not in the "club" were let go.

Bear Stearns also failed in the crisis of 2008. Although they were not members/owners of the Fed, the Fed initially offered a bailout loan to Bear Stearns. But that initial loan offer was withdrawn. Later, a different loan was actually made - but only AFTER it had been arranged for Bear Stearns to be folded into JP Morgan Chase.

proof that they will eat their own.

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

AIG was saved by the wisdom and actions of one man: Bob Benmosche.

Before Benmosche was brought in, AIG was teetering on the brink due to extraordinary losses incurred on credit default swaps.

In fact, the core businesses were highly profitability before and after the crisis.

The Feds believed that the best approach to recovering the money infused was a break-up and sale of the company, piece by piece. Benmosche took a different approach: sell of some valuable non-core businesses, including much of the global life insurance business, and focus on the casualty business.

While one can debate whether Federal government intervention was warranted, the repayment with interest was based entirely on the real value associated with the entity (and was achieved because Benmosche appreciated that value)

Higashiyama
  • Options

the secndary repo market is a private one. it is outside the fed's control. however, as can be seen with the recentmost rate spike, it can influence the fed funds rate.

what to do about it is the problem. what can be done with a private market outside of the fed's influence.

today's repo was about $47/75

• Options
    edited October 8, 2019 7:06PM

Fed Announces QE4 (But Don't Call It QE4)

Fed Chair: "I want to emphasize that growth of our balance sheet for reserve management purposes should in no way be confused with the large-scale asset purchase programs that we deployed after the financial crisis. Neither the recent technical issues nor the purchases of Treasury bills we are contemplating to resolve them should materially affect the stance of monetary policy..."

Translation: Don't confuse balance sheet growth for "reserve management" with balance sheet growth for "stock market management

So, when the Fed is worried that the I and the public might realize that this new money pump scheme is the same as the old money pump scheme, then I find reason to worry.

• Options
    Jayyk31Jayyk31 Posts: 76 ✭✭✭

Q E 6!

• Options

last day of repos

first day of qe lite?

• Options

the repos continue

handle not made

• Options

You would figure all this QE and Fed panicking would be a positive for metal prices. Guess not :roll

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    You would figure all this QE and Fed panicking would be a positive for metal prices. Guess not :roll

once reality sinks in . . .

• Options

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

once reality sinks in . . .

I used to agree but seems I've been saying that for more than a few decades now. Guess its off to ebay looking for another deal or two. Stack on!

• Options
    edited October 12, 2019 2:12AM

Another Deutsche Bank bailout clue

"The Federal Reserve will announce today that it has decided against forcing U.S. branches of foreign banks to hold a minimum level of liquid assets to protect them from a cash crunch."

liquid assets include cash reserves. The continuing POMO "bailout" by the FED has been about cash reserves.

• Options

• Options
    edited October 16, 2019 2:19PM

ZH rips off another news service, this time the FT

“We are not going to sell them,” said Pia McCusker, global head of cash management at State Street Global Advisors, which holds more than $22bn of T-bills in its $350bn of money market funds. “It’s a short-term gain and then I would have to replace it with something else at a much lower rate.”

• Options

we'll see how this plays out.

right now, t-blls are yielding under 1.7%. there is the opportunity to make more lending the cash out in to repo market.

• Options
    davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:
    As always, talking with you is a thread killer. Discussion's all yours, have at it.

Thread moving along, informative and entertaining like classical music....THEN a certain fingernails on the chalkboard bully walks in.

Honestly, I’m grateful since I just discovered the ‘Ignore’ feature.

• Options

@derryb said:

@shortnock said:
    What does all this mean in little words?

FED is spending an unplanned $75B a day (at least until Oct. 10) to keep the market from determining a higher interest rate on what banks borrow from each other in the very short term to maintain required cash reserves that are set by the FED. It means there is a liquidity crisis and the FED will have to make a choice between a lower requirement for bank cash reserves or some form of quantitative easing (QE). Cash reserves are one of the tools that protects the economy from bad banks. Lower that and you increase risk of bank failure.

The FED chooses both

• Options

Official Fed Balance Sheet Now Up Over $200 Billion Dollars In 6 Weeks!

But it's not QE.

• Options

The Fed ended balance sheet normalization recently.

had there never been qe, the balance sheet would be considerably smaller than what it is now.
    also, the fed announced expanding the balance sheet again to acommodate economic growth. the rate of change to the size of the balance sheet as compared to pre-qe and before qe-lite is a considerably steeper rate of change.

this is definitely weird. I'd love to grill the fed on this.

• Options
    edited October 19, 2019 9:11PM

"When it becomes serious, you have to lie"

"the Fed’s most recent actions have undone 5 months of ‘tightening’ in just five blistering weeks of panic:"

The fact that the FED cannot normalize (pre-2008 levels) it's balance sheet or near zero interest rates is proof that the great crisis that began in 2008 has not been fixed, only delayed.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rates can be pushed into the negative only so far, and now we know the limit.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear