Home Precious Metals
Options

FED panics over dollar funding, QE next step?

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 22, 2019 4:48PM

@jmski52 said:
    Wake me up when people start buying gold and silver. I've got a rather large hoard I'd love to sell. I'm not getting any younger.

Do you have any of this listed on BST or PM Forum?

At the current price? No.

I was waiting for fiat and the world as we know it to collapse first. Maybe then I could trade a gold eagle for a 6 pack of beans. lol

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@derryb said:

New fear among the banks? The next crisis has started.

Oh wow this is awesome, I’m so excited, by the way how long will this crisis actually last since it has already started? Days, months, years, decades?, or the proverbial “you’ll “know” when it ends”? Or is this a lifetime crisis? Possibly?...

Someone please let us know when this crisis has passed us, so at least maybe we can get something to eat or somethin...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Fed liabilities are only as good as something written on a piece of paper. In a nutshell, paper promises beget only other kinds of paper promises.

yep.

organic balance sheet growth is the growth that occured before QE and the financial crisis.
    it is not QE

Technically, it may not be QE but it doesn't really matter what it's called when it adds to the exponential increase in the debt load, which it does.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

more repos coming at the end of the quarter.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    I would say the cash crunch has the true fault of the people needing the cash.

perhaps the """permanent""" fix rests with the firms not getting themselves in that position again.

@derryb said:
    Individuals don't need cash, they have credit cards. Maybe those people are hoarding cash out of fear.

While those looking to make new trades could just not make them, this is not sufficient.

I get to say that I think I'm wrong and ZH has a point to make.

more to follow.

I change my mind.

they should not have loaded their balance sheets to the point of needing a fed intervention.

from ZH:

For those still unfamiliar with the core reasons behind the coming dollar shortage, BofA recaps the converging
    sources of pressure that will likely result in secured funding markets breaking higher, including

elevated UST supply,
    bloated dealer balance sheets and year-end regulatory constraints, and
    a banking system near reserve scarcity.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2019 7:36AM

watch the video too

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/23/fed-repo-williams-says-we-were-prepared-for-the-funding-jolt.html

In a speech Monday morning in New York, Williams, who oversees the district’s pivotal trading desk, said issues has been expected in the repo market due to a confluence of factors that would sap liquidity, including corporate tax payments and settlement of Treasury auctions.

• Options

Fed officials responded with a series of operations that injected funds into capital markets, and on Friday announced that the program would continue through Oct. 10. The Fed also announced a 25 basis point cut in the funds rate Wednesday along with a 30 basis point reduction in the interest on excess bank reserves.

Where'd the Fed get all that money? Easy peasy - tap, tap, tap - poof! There ya go - no problemo!

In 2018, the New York Fed introduced a replacement, called the Secured Overnight Financing Rate, whose implementation is ongoing.
    However, Williams said too many banks either are ignoring the transition or hoping LIBOR is extended. Williams said both approaches are dangerous.
    “Implementation will be complex: financial contracts need to be scrutinized, operations need to be evaluated, and technology needs to be updated,” he said. “The work involves numerous jurisdictions and multiple asset classes, and will require changes from how business is conducted to how systems are built. These things take time, and time is running out.”
    Banks should be working to discover where their LIBOR exposure lies and continuing to work towards the transition, Williams added, noting that contracts referencing U.S. dollar LIBOR transactions have a notional value of $200 trillion.

No manipulation there. Nothing to see. What could possibly go wrong? $200 trillion in contracts that all have to be re-done? Why is LIBOR on the way out? Who's going to be left holding the bag? Small local banks? Regional banks?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

Why is LIBOR on the way out?

google it

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

The FED prints money. Most of us believe what we read on paper.

• Options

tap tap tap yes and no
    if they don't have it on account then they would, most of the repos are overnight. they potentially only need to tap tap tap once for them.

but this is not QE. the money comes back the next day plus a little interest, too.

• Options

the "another day" is not news since they will continue repos into early October.

The news is that they are increasing the dollar amount of the repo operation today and that recent repos have been oversubscribed.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the real news is the FED is having to take out of the ordinary steps to calm the markets and to keep the money flowing.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options

repos are not out of the ordinary, but I agree that they do deal with out of the normal market conditions.

they just haven't needed them since the beginning of the QE days, which should be another indication that repos are not QE.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    repos are not out of the ordinary, but I agree that they do deal with out of the normal market conditions.

FED buys back control of rates: $75 billion in "re" purchases.

"The New York Federal Reserve Bank on Tuesday stepped into financial markets for the first time in more than a decade to keep interest rates in line with the Fed's target. The New York Fed said the $75 billion in repurchase agreements -- known as "repos" -- were made "in order to help maintain the federal funds rate within the target range of 2 to 2-1/4 percent."

Last time FED stepped in (with money) was more than ten years ago. Qualifies as out of the ordinary.

• Options
    edited September 26, 2019 8:36PM

• Options

@derryb said:

@MsMorrisine said:

FED buys back control of rates: $75 billion in "re" purchases.

"The New York Federal Reserve Bank on Tuesday stepped into financial markets for the first time in more than a decade to keep interest rates in line with the Fed's target. The New York Fed said the $75 billion in repurchase agreements -- known as "repos" -- were made "in order to help maintain the federal funds rate within the target range of 2 to 2-1/4 percent."

Last time FED stepped in (with money) was more than ten years ago. Qualifies as out of the ordinary.

yes, I know it's been 10 years.

that's because QE made them unneeded.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2019 1:31PM

https://fortune.com/2019/09/26/the-feds-repo-market-bailout-is-a-sign-of-deeper-problems-that-are-getting-worse-over-time/

The Fed’s Repo Market Bailout Is a Sign of Deeper Problems—That Are Getting Worse Over Time

I still say repos are not QE.

I do wonder if the Fed needs to remove interest on reserves and find some other prime method to control rates.

this "mandated on levels, " should read "on mandated levels, "

we will see how bad the issue is once the planned repos end. we will see if they taper them off or continue them.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2019 1:46PM

Banks determine their own rate for overnight lending to other banks that need the money to maintain required cash reserves. That's what created the need for the recent repo "bailout." Cash reserves are protection required by the FED to backstop a failing bank, so the FED can't really eliminate or reduce them.

FED should let the market set high rates as was happening, without interfering. If banks have to pay a high rate to borrow very short term funds to satisfy reserve requirements just maybe they will position themselves to not need to borrow. This is simple "Debt 101" for your basic consumer.

As I said earlier high repo rates from lending banks is a sure sign that they they see increased risk with the loan to another bank. What does that tell you? Tells me the same thing it told me in 2008: buy more gold.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Banks determine their own rate for overnight lending to other banks that need the money to maintain required cash reserves. That's what created the need for the recent repo "bailout." Cash reserves are protection required by the FED to backstop a failing bank, so the FED can't really eliminate or reduce them.

I wasn't talking eliminate reserve, but eliminating paying interest on reserves.

FED should let the market set high rates as was happening, without interfering. If banks have to pay a high rate to borrow very short term funds to satisfy reserve requirements just maybe they will position themselves to not need to borrow. This is simple "Debt 101" for your basic consumer.

yeah. they did create their own problem, imo.

As I said earlier high repo rates from lending banks is a sure sign that they they see increased risk with the loan to another bank. What does that tell you? Tells me the same thing it told me in 2008: buy more gold.

or they are cash selfish.

• Options

although the fed says they don't have a rule over the external markets, the external markets do affect the fed funds rate.
    when that outside repo market went to 9-10%, if pulled the effective fed funds rate outside of the range to 2.30% when the top of the range was 2.2% Thus they cared to intervene.

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

when that outside repo market went to 9-10%, if pulled the effective fed funds rate outside of the range to 2.30% when the top of the range was 2.2% Thus they cared to intervene.

The federal funds rate is the interest rate at which depository institutions lend reserve balances to other depository institutions overnight on an uncollateralized basis.

The effective Federal Funds Rate is the rate set by the FOMC (Federal Open Market Committee) for banks to borrow funds from each other.

There is no reason for the FED to set a rate that banks charge each other in the repo market when the banks can clearly ignore it. In setting a desired rate they only give these banks the opportunity to charge more which results in the FED having to put up money to bring the rate back into the FEDs desired range. Maybe the whole thing is nothing more than the banks' way of getting the FED to put up the money.

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good debate.

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    edited September 27, 2019 7:54PM

@cohodk said:
    Good debate.

Probably because it remains focused on the message and not the messenger.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2019 7:59PM

@rawteam1 said:

@derryb said:

New fear among the banks? The next crisis has started.

Oh wow this is awesome, I’m so excited, by the way how long will this crisis actually last since it has already started?

For those paying attention it is a continuation of the last crisis and has been going on for over a decade. Since we follow most of the advice we gave Japan, it will probably last a couple of decades as has their economic woes. An end to it will likely be worse news. Probably a good thing the FED keeps playing the music, the chairs are becoming scarce.

• Options
    edited September 27, 2019 8:22PM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:
    Good debate.

Haha. You couldnt see facetiousness if it hit you in face. 😉

Speculation can be such a spectacle.

Continue.

• Options
    edited September 28, 2019 7:04AM

Discussion is all yours, have at it.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:

@derryb said:

I wasn't talking eliminate reserve, but eliminating paying interest on reserves.

yeah. they did create their own problem, imo.

or they are cash selfish.

Or cash is king...

keceph `anah
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

The world seldom ends.

But when it does, packs of cigarettes and airplane bottles of booze are better than five and ten dollar bills.. and sometimes, better than silver dollars
    😉

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

@rawteam1 said:

Or cash is king...

When cash is king it is for a reason and that reason usually involves lack of faith in other alternatives. Lack of faith in markets always leads to gold's door.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Why am I not surprised. With you, It's always about the messenger. LOL

I made no reference to any messenger. Don't be paranoid.

Im merely commenting on the speculative nature of the discussion in which there a search for a four letter F-word; fact or fear. It's quite fascinating.

Incorporate negative rates into your discussion. What is the message and what does the messenger have to say about it?

Hint--watch out for flying frogs. ;)

• Options

@cohodk said:
    Good debate.

Well, there goes a good debate. LOL

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:
    Good debate.

Well, there goes a good debate. LOL

How so? I'm asking you do interject the effect of negative rates into your discussion which you haven't yet. Do you not feel talking about negative rates would add to this topic?

• Options
    edited September 28, 2019 7:02AM

As always, talking with you is a thread killer. Discussion's all yours, have at it.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:
    Good debate.

Continue.

you could add more to the discussion, but don't. "good debate" isn't a good debate.

• Options

MsM, he's all yours. Like talking to my kids.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    edited September 29, 2019 4:59AM

The Fed Is Offering $100 Billion a Day in Emergency Loans to Unnamed Banks and Congress Is Not Curious Enough to Hold a Hearing

"Because the New York Fed is not announcing which banks are drawing down the bulk of its loans, neither Congress nor the American people know if the money is flowing to U.S. banks or foreign bank subsidiaries in the U.S. Propping up troubled foreign banks is not what most Americans want their central bank to be doing. If the New York Fed is secretly funneling money to a unit of Deutsche Bank to prop it up, the American people need to know about it and Congress needs to be asking questions."

"The implication, to money market people, is there are big unknown counterparty risks out there and nobody wants to get caught in another ‘Lehman’ workout."

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:
    Good debate.

Continue.

you could add more to the discussion, but don't. "good debate" isn't a good debate.

I did enjoy your bantering back and fro, and believe you were at the cusp of discovering the root cause of this problem. I did provide a hint at why this was happening.

Where does the demand for negative rates originate? How does that play into the currency market? Is there a role of multi-national companies in the repo market? What role does the spread between US and European rates and Japanese rates have on the repo market? How are these markets settled?

If i kill threads because i put to rest nefarious conspiracy theory and ignorant suppostion and encourage original thought, then great, we are all better off. If you wish to be a manipulated pawn of doom, then continue arguing with yourself. ;)

• Options

Where does the demand for negative rates originate?

It does not originate from market demand. It originates from central banks that demand an increase to inflation.

The US has rid itself of central banks in the past, just a matter of time before it happens again.

• Options

cash is king...

Yeah, I'm somewhat hesitant to lighten up on cash for the time being.

However, Greg Hunter provides a good interview with Rob Kirby on USAWatchdog.com today. Interesting take on what's happening with the petrodollar.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2019 12:04PM

https://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/domestic-market-operations/monetary-policy-implementation/repo-reverse-repo-agreements
    Repurchase agreements (also known as repos) are conducted only with primary dealers

Primary dealers are expected to participate in open market operations consistently and competitively, in a variety of market environments, to support the implementation of monetary policy. In particular, a primary dealer is expected to participate consistently in any Treasury outright and repo operations that are conducted by the New York Fed’s Trading Desk (Desk).

https://www.newyorkfed.org/markets/primarydealers
    List of primary dealers
    Current List, Additions, Removals & Name Changes

Primary Dealers

Amherst Pierpont Securities LLC
    Bank of Nova Scotia, New York Agency
    BMO Capital Markets Corp.
    BNP Paribas Securities Corp.
    Barclays Capital Inc.
    BofA Securities, Inc.
    Cantor Fitzgerald & Co.
    Citigroup Global Markets Inc.
    Credit Suisse AG, New York Branch
    Daiwa Capital Markets America Inc.
    Deutsche Bank Securities Inc.
    Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC
    HSBC Securities (USA) Inc
    Jefferies LLC
    J.P. Morgan Securities LLC
    Mizuho Securities USA LLC
    Morgan Stanley & Co. LLC
    NatWest Markets Securities Inc.
    Nomura Securities International, Inc.
    RBC Capital Markets, LLC
    Societe Generale, New York Branch
    TD Securities (USA) LLC
    UBS Securities LLC.
    Wells Fargo Securities, LLC

• Options
    edited September 29, 2019 11:46AM

they aren't going to give up the names of exactly who are using the repos without a fight.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2019 12:16PM

as stated earlier, counterparty risk is not it.
    we would hear about counterparty risk in other markets, too. i.e. derivatives market and with CDS.

this is a lack of cash crisis and for those under the federal reserve umbrella a required reserve deficiency for those that had such.

• Options
    edited September 29, 2019 1:05PM

@MsMorrisine said:
    as stated earlier, counterparty risk is not it.
    we would hear about counterparty risk in other markets, too. i.e. derivatives market and with CDS.

this is a lack of cash crisis and for those under the federal reserve umbrella a required reserve deficiency for those that had such.

funny how there's a lack of cash issue until one bank is willing to pay another bank 10% overnight interest for some of the cash.

Tells me some banks are much better positioned in cash than others. The ones with a shortage would certainly be viewed as a risk by those with the cash.

And speaking of counter party risk in the derivatives markets, a failing Deutsche Bank holds a $43T derivatives book that puts many major US financial institutions at great risk. I'm sure that is on the mind of those institutions when asked by DB for an overnight loan. LOL

Would be interesting to know how much of this recent FED repo money is designed to keep DB afloat. We'll know soon enough. It's no secret that I have been forecasting DB's coming failure and the pending disaster it poses for all the US financial institutions caught up in it's massive derivative book. I'm now on the record that this whole FED repo fiasco is completely about prevent DB from taking the system down. Just how long it can be kept a secret remains to be seen.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree derryb, you've been on record indicating the imminent DB failure for the last 4 years. DB will not be allowed to fail. For some reason, you are unwilling to accept that scenario.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2019 3:43PM

@OPA said:
    Agree derryb, you've been on record indicating the imminent DB failure for the last 4 years. DB will not be allowed to fail. For some reason, you are unwilling to accept that scenario.

And their share price has fallen from $40 to $7.50. Yes, I am unwilling to accept that scenario.

Them "not being allowed" to fail has implications almost as serious as them being allowed to fail.

"Lehman will not be allowed to fail." lol

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

AIG was not allowed to fail...& didn't

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:
    AIG was not allowed to fail...& didn't

so you're predicting more QE as am I.