Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Pride of Two Nations Limited Edition Two-Coin Set™ (19XB), Sold Out

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ripoff or not, the SE looks fantastic.

The ML does, too, but the last one I bought was an early bullion version back in the day, and these new ones are a different animal.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, well obviously being the mint slave collector that I am bought one set. The eagle is very nice looking (W mintmark) although sometimes I'm not sure we want macro detail on Liberty's face.LOL. I just think the 2011 set with five coins was a lot more reasonable per coin.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2019 6:47AM

Nothing available right now, maybe I'll just wait till the hype dies and they're less than issue price.
    Listed an unopened box of five 2006 ASE Anniversary sets starting bid $500 not one bid, I suspect these will have the same fate.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TurboSnail said:

@7Jaguars said:
    This set is such a rip off. Basically 100 dollars for the Eagle, 40 for the Leaf (which most don't care about). Might have been a bit more fair at 120 & just don't see much of a future for it.

If I am not mistaken, ASE from this set would be rank #5 on the ASE rarity chart.
    1st 1995-W Proof 30,125 mintage
    2nd 2008-W Burnished (Reverse of 2007) 47,000 mintage
    3rd 2011-S Burnished 100,000 mintage
    4th 2011-P Reverse Proof 100,000 mintage
    5th 2019-W Enhanced Reverse Proof 110,000 mintage
    6th 2017-S Proof 123,799 mintage

And that's why it is such a close call. See my earlier posts. #3 and#4 are $150 coins. #6 is $110. If the mintage on this st was 100k or less, it's a winner. At 110k, it's probably a break even.

That said, the Mint is not trying to print profits for you. Do this is NOT arip-off. At worst it's a fairly priced collectible.

• Options

@morgansforever said:
    Nothing available right now, maybe I'll just wait till the hype dies and they're less than issue price.
    Listed an unopened box of five 2006 ASE Anniversary sets starting bid $500 not one bid, I suspect these will have the same fate.

Could be a long while. These sets should stay in the issue price range, possibly indefinitely. See my previous post.

• Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2019 7:14AM

It begs to ask the question is anything worth the price at the time of release? I remember reading stories about those paying $75k when the Dodge Hellcat was first released in 2015. Slightly used ones are in mid to upper 40's now, without much searching. Guess there's one exception the 05 and 06 Ford GT's have nearly doubled in price, anywhere from $250-$300k.
    Give me a coin that has doubled in price over a 15 year span, must be a few out there.

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting my last 2 sets Weds and was one of the early late back orders buyers. Weds will have in hand. Love this set. What a great program and no sloppy seconds to worry about.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Joedirt17 said:
    Hi All. I received my order of 5 sets Wednesday and have yet to open them. My plan is to keep 2 sets for my kids/me and sell the other 3 and break even. My question is can I open the parcel and remove my sets and the other sets still be in "un opened" condition to sell?

No. The only two reasons anyone would want the sets sealed :smile:

1. Shipping date for "early release" "First strike" designation. This is voided by opening the box.
    2. They think you are cherry-picking the sets. Voided by opening the box.

You can, of course sell them once opened.

They need to be in the unopened Mint box if you want the country of Origin noted on the label. The labels with the country of origin will have a separate census ATS anyway...

Early release does not need an unopened box at any time unless the issuing Mint is also wanted.

That’s why I have 2 separate orders on all ATB pucks that I leave unopened and are FDI eligible. I been doing it forever. Sealed boxes can go for special designated labels.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2019 11:35AM

@7Jaguars said:
    OK, well obviously being the mint slave collector that I am bought one set. The eagle is very nice looking (W mintmark) although sometimes I'm not sure we want macro detail on Liberty's face.LOL. I just think the 2011 set with five coins was a lot more reasonable per coin.

Not really. (Well, I guess it depends on your point of view.)

The 2011 set was $300 each, or $60/coin. HOWEVER, only two of the coins (see note below) in the set were unique to that set. That to me raises the intrinsic value (and actual cost) of the unique coins vs, that of the coins already in circulation.

Note: The price of the W coins actually fluctuated that year because of silver spot. However, both coins were individually below $60. The fifth coin was a bullion version so worth technically only spot. (It was revealed later that the bullion version was struck at San Francisco, but it's still only a bullion ASE.) So that did push the "cost" of the two unique coins to about $80-$85 each. (Of course, I'm completely ignoring the packaging, which I think was majorly overdone. :D )

The price of the 2012 SF set was $75/coin, but applying the logic above (since the S-Proof was later available in the Making American History C&C set), that pushed the special finish ASE value even higher.

The price of the 2013 WP set was $70/coin, and both unique finished coins in the set were... unique to that set.

So it was the 2013-W coins that were the most reasonable in price for a special finish ASE.

Getting back to the Pride set, they were $70/coin. ($72.50 if you bought from Canada.) So they were about on par with every other special finish ASE.

Before you say the ML isn't a $70 coin, the 2-coin 30th anniversary Maple Leaf set (one a modified proof, the other a reverse proof) is selling for $145 (US dollars), or $72,.50 a coin, the same as in the Pride Set. So from the perspective of each country, both coins had just about the same value. So, yes, the ML is a $70 coin.

(Also note I am completely ignoring silver spot in all cases, but cost of the metal I think has less to do with coins like this. And yes, I'm completely aware that I've said I paid $140 for an Eagle, because I don't collect Maple Leafs. :D )

(I'm not picking on you 7Jaguars. I'm wasting time copying some large files... ;) )

Edit because I'm not picking on 7jaguars, and the ASE wasn't stuck in SF, it was struck there. I'm sure there are other typos. There always are. :smile: )

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Backroadjunkie thank you for that nice history lesson. I was not around collecting in 2011 thru 2014. So it’s refreshing to read, very informative and thank you for sharing.

• Options

Yeah backroad, thanks for putting the costs in some perspective for us.

• Options

Well, there was at least one available. But it's gone...

• Options

I was able to add 5 to the cart but decided to only get 1.

Successful BST transactions with : Moderncoinmart,ebaytrader,ModCrewman,CharlieC,Lightcycler
  • Options

@oldgumballmachineswanted said:
    I was able to add 5 to the cart but decided to only get 1.

I also saw 5 but bought 2.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still rolling in!

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

They've got (or had) around 4,000 left to sell....let's see what the numbers are this week

• Options

Looks like they are out again!

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics @Gluggo -- is your ML a bit colored or is that reflected from something near by? You can get rid of that by turning down the photo saturation. I have not opened my set yet, will be doing that soon. :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options

yea that canadian one was a bit tricky but just wanted to post one. Maybe later I will change it but just to tired tonight. Think its time to go get ready for tomorrows busy day. Praying for rain soon its too dry. Have a good night Akbeez

• Options

None available this morning.

• Options

Still new at this but I have noticed some people selling sealed boxes from the mint in order to qualify for First strikes/early releases. My question is this, isn't there identifying information on the invoice from PCGS/NGC inside the box with credit card number on it? Thanks for all your help. - Jeff

• Options
    BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

Name, address and order number

• Options

@stckplunge1 said:
    Still new at this but I have noticed some people selling sealed boxes from the mint in order to qualify for First strikes/early releases. My question is this, isn't there identifying information on the invoice from PCGS/NGC inside the box with credit card number on it? Thanks for all your help. - Jeff

There are things like customer number on there but no credit card number.

• Options

@stckplunge1 said:

Yes, name and address for both “sold to” and “ship to”

Use your PO Box (or business) address if your planning on selling sealed boxes.

Or move. :D:)

No CC or payment type.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    They've got (or had) around 4,000 left to sell....let's see what the numbers are this week

The latest numbers in the Mint's cumulative sales figures say 98,622.

• Options

@ernie11 said:

@BigA said:

The latest numbers in the Mint's cumulative sales figures say 98,622.

Still a pretty strong demand.

Previous (14 Jul): 95,466

Over 3100 for the past week.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my group of USA sets and opened them today. I'm not terribly impressed with the ML quality -- all 5 had frost breaks or small scratches. Nothing terrible, but I don't think they would grade high. Coin design is crazy busy, but attractive. Wish they could use something else for the obverses...all the UK-affiliated countries sure got that cursed legislation in common. Two of the 5 ASEs were near-perfect. Others had minor issues.

I will admit, the ASE was done VERY well. The mirrored devices are amazing. Really hard to photograph too, so reflective.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only $70 for an ounce of silver, what could possibly go wrong? I plan to hold off maybe a year and pickup a set in the $40 range.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    Only $70 for an ounce of silver, what could possibly go wrong? I plan to hold off maybe a year and pickup a set in the $40 range.

You might do a little research on ASEs of similar mintage. $40 is not in the foreseeable future

• Options

None again this AM.

So used to seeing these popup in the mornings.

Good thing! A step closer to...

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

The problem is anyone could take a coin from another set and replace it. That would make silver eagles that are rare because of the set they came in null. Like the Silver eagle in the Canadian set seems to bring more than the American set. I have 2 from Canada but if I could submit an open box all 5 of my US sets would be graded as Canadian issues. Just switch the coins in the packing boxes and send two in. Wait for the packaging to return, send in two more. That is why it has to be a sealed box.

@RIcardman
    @stckplunge1 said:

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

break even price on these sets is 163 after fees and if you offer free shipping, and it's more if you don't have a store

• Options

Having gotten the packaging back (and actually looking at it), let me say the US Mint could learn from the RCM on how to make packaging SMALLER. They're both the same thickness, and I'm still trying to figure out why they're twice as thick as they need to be. (Yes, I am space challenged.)

Also, the S/N number in my Canadian set is 61xx. Can someone verify they have another number so I know RCM isn't funnin' us with that individually numbered claim? (I'd be more impressed if they individually numbered the Maple Leafs, but I digress...)

• Options

@cruisersk1 said:
    The problem is anyone could take a coin from another set and replace it. That would make silver eagles that are rare because of the set they came in null. Like the Silver eagle in the Canadian set seems to bring more than the American set. I have 2 from Canada but if I could submit an open box all 5 of my US sets would be graded as Canadian issues. Just switch the coins in the packing boxes and send two in. Wait for the packaging to return, send in two more. That is why it has to be a sealed box.

@RIcardman
    @stckplunge1 said:

Possible, but after the first round of waiting 20+ business days for the graded slabs and OGP to return the second round would probably not be first strikes due to surpassing the deadline, unless the express lane is chosen.

First Strikes/FDOIs versus non-FS/FDOI make a difference for some. I think the deadline is August 2nd.

• Options
    cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

I can confirm from other Canada mint purchases that they do indeed have serial numbers on the label and they are not the same number. Also, If you spend enough,5K Canadian, you get to buy coins before they go on sale and on certain issues they offer low serial numbers to the Masters club members.

Also, the S/N number in my Canadian set is 61xx. Can someone verify they have another number so I know RCM isn't funnin' us with that individually numbered claim? (I'd be more impressed if they individually numbered the Maple Leafs, but I digress...)

• Options

@cruisersk1 said:
    I can confirm from other Canada mint purchases that they do indeed have serial numbers on the label and they are not the same number. Also, If you spend enough,5K Canadian, you get to buy coins before they go on sale and on certain issues they offer low serial numbers to the Masters club members.

That sounds like a nice perk.

• Options
    TexastTexast Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 3:06PM

The latest numbers in the Mint's >cumulative sales figures say 98,622.

Remember, the Mint will hold onto several hundred of these sets until all returned sets that need replacement are processed. If a coin is found to be defective it will not be reissued, this could cause the actual number released to be lower than 100,000. I have no idea how many have been returned. Anyone have any figures on that?

On BS&T Now: Nothing.
    Fighting the Fight for 11 Years with the big "C" - Never Ever Give Up!
    Member PCGS Open Forum board 2002 - 2006 (closed end of 2006) Current board since 2006 Successful trades with many members, over the past two decades, never a bad deal.
  • Options
    edited July 24, 2019 6:32PM

@Texast said:

The latest numbers in the Mint's >cumulative sales figures say 98,622.

Remember, the Mint will hold onto several hundred of these sets until all returned sets that need replacement are processed. If a coin is found to be defective it will not be reissued, this could cause the actual number released to be lower than 100,000. I have no idea how many have been returned. Anyone have any figures on that?

It's been shown the Mint overproduces a set for replacements. This was proven with a FOIA for the BBHoF coins.

I have no idea if this was possible with the RCM. But any normal issue, if it approaches sellout, then a certain number over and above mintage is produced to replace defective sets.

Edit to add: Here's the link.
    2014 Gold Baseball HOF overproduction...

• Options
    edited July 24, 2019 6:46PM

@coinpalice said:
    break even price on these sets is 163 after fees and if you offer free shipping, and it's more if you don't have a store

I'm not sure about the math. I'm selling at $165 with free shipping and my net is $145 on a single set. My cost is $137 ($140 - 2% cashback credit card). That includes a store and top seller discount.

Are you including the $4.95 shipping?

• Options

no, so if you bought a single set the break even price is 167.95

• Options

@coinpalice said:
    no, so if you bought a single set the break even price is 167.95

Still not seeing it. Ignoring the CC cashback and including the $5 shipping from me, with free shipping from the Mint, the break even should be $160. 6.15% ebay and 2.9% Paypal plus 30 cents. It's only a little over 9% fees + $5 shipping. Using your 168 number:

168-$15.40 fees -$5 shipping is net $147.60 against $139.95 purchase price. ?????

• Options

I just assumed a 1 pound package would cost more then 5 dollars to ship, and some people don't qualify for free shipping. without a store would run over 170 at 13 percent

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    I just assumed a 1 pound package would cost more then 5 dollars to ship, and some people don't qualify for free shipping. without a store would run over 170 at 13 percent

You assumed correctly.... Priority mail, will run you about $7.00 for a small flat rate box

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2019 8:22PM

@OPA said:

@coinpalice said:

You assumed correctly.... Priority mail, will run you about $7.00 for a small flat rate box

I believe it's $7.90 on the USPS site, but maybe less with ebay shipping discount.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@OPA said:

@coinpalice said:

1 pound package with ebay labels is $5. It doesn't require priority.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@OPA said:

@coinpalice said:

I believe it's $7.90 on the USPS site, but maybe less with ebay shipping discount.

16 ounces is 1st class through ebay

• Options

@coinpalice said:

1 pound package using ebay labels, 1st class, iis $5.

Without a store and paying 4.95 mint shipping, your numbers are correct

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@grote15 said:

@OPA said:

@coinpalice said:

16 ounces is 1st class through ebay

this has nothing to do with this topic, but i know you remember this seller, check this out, this guy has been selling his sets for 2 years straight now
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-S-38-sets-US-Mint-225th-Anniversary-Enhanced-Uncirculated-10-Coin-Set/323752609167?epid=2169289248&hash=item4b6128c58f:g:d58AAOSwEaBaAJu1:sc:USPSFirstClass!87062!US!-1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file