Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Alteration vs. Conservation? (Now defined by PWCC)

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    After watching Brent's interview it seemed very clear that many cards have been attempted to be enhanced and he appears to suggest that is okay.

I would say that MOST people who ALTER CARDS view it as no big deal.
    And most that don’t, do.

I know I don’t and I do.

I agree.

It is kind of like someone who lies a lot they begin to believe their own lies.

I just posted an article from 1996. Take the time to read the PSA one and perhaps you will see why I think his comments are suggesting this has been common place and people are fooling themselves if they think otherwise.

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1304673

it appears the known pop of altered cards continues to grow

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:

Brent may turn out to be a criminal but I don't jump to conclusions based on internet sleuthing. The same sleuths had that board convinced that the Honus Wagner PSA 8 was recalled if you will and as witnessed by the moderators comment in the thread here that couldn't be further from the truth.

>

David,

Please don't take my comments as trolling because it's not. But I think you should go back and reread the thread on BO, which is where the "internet sleuthing" has taken place. Not ONE of the people who have exposed altered cards chimed in on the Wagner event of today. Those that did are the same poop flinging monkeys who always grab an opportunity to hurl excrement at PSA and anyone whose views don't match theirs or their agenda.

Viewing before and after photos of those cards that the "internet sleuths" have uncovered, I personally, would find it hard to say they are jumping to conclusions. Perhaps you don't but if you were able to run a filter over those threads and weed out all the poop flingers sitting on the fence who just enjoy the spectacle and probably don't have any skin in the game from those that are actually doing the leg work it's clear they haven't missed, haven't accused with out solid proof.

The BO thread and the Net 54 thread on the Wagner are a reflection off a major problem in the hobby (and society as a whole) a desire to gossip and fit the observable facts to ones opinion. The only way to combat that is by quick, honest disclosure. Sure PSA can't monitor boards all over the Internet but not one those monkeys on either forum said "Gee maybe we should ask PSA". Instead they went back to the gossip and conspiracy theories that fits their points of view.

And to be clear for anyone who reads this from other boards. I don't drink the preverbal PSA Kool Aide. I've stopped buying graded cards until I personally am comfortable with how 3rd Party Graders have addressed the issues that are being raised. I will however commend PSA and @AFLfan for the quick response to my question. Hopefully more often in the future people will ask questions at "The Source" rather than speculate and spread FUD. And hopefully "The Source" will respond in a timely and honest fashion which then stops the spread of FUD.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2019 6:25AM

@LOTSOS I only know of the Blowout avatars and the Game of Thrones card and the Mario Brothers throwing a red pill certainly commented in that thread. In reality I was just lumping the Blowout crew in as one as a generalization because no one on there stopped to think hey maybe there is a reason for this that isn't motivated by being out for PSA blood. I made a similar comment a few months back about all of the T-206 autos being fake and someone was quick to point out I was wrong and once again it was a generalization suggesting pretty much they all are and sure enough the guy that is the top collector of those confirmed a few weeks ago basically they are all fake. There might be a few real ones but not many.

I understand why people are upset and self policing can certainly be helpful in life. I don't fall into the category of following the herd and on every board there are views that if you won't cease dealing with PWCC you are scum. I don't see it that way because as I pointed out these cards can turn up anywhere and people are fooling themselves otherwise. I enjoy collecting way too much to let something like this get in the way of my collection. On another board I was having fun in a spirited back and forth and of course I was in the minority and not two days later a bunch of cards showed up in the Mile High auction. This stuff has been taking place forever. I am not saying it makes it right but it is what it is. In the article I posted above you have Mr. Mint talking about bleaching and trimming cards in 1996 and how it has been taking place for quite sometime. This is nothing new and I find it very hard to believe that the buyers of these vintage cards have not done some research especially when you see the prices of cards can exceed 10 million.

If someone wants to drop out of buying graded cards because of this that is their prerogative. My hope for them is that they can find a way to still participate in the hobby and find enjoyment out of it. For me collecting is fun. If it is no longer fun than it is time for someone to either leave or try and make it fun and I hope for your sake you can accomplish this.

Two times in the past few days someone with a rebuttal said essentially please don't take this as trolling. Having different opinions and expressing them in a very civil manner is certainly not trolling. I personally think it is healthy when people make their points and allow for others to make their's and I take no offense what so ever. I do think though that people need to give some thought to the fact that not everyone has to respond to crisis in the same manner. We all have different motivations and they don't always have to be the same so my response to this is my response and someone else's is theirs and that should be considered okay.

• Options

lots of facinating and differing opinions in this thread. I am curious of the demographics of the dispersion in opinions. that is , is it the younger group that has the hardline stance that the card must go from pack to holder untouched? is it the older group that is more accepting of certain "common" practices like wiping wax ?

I have been around this hobby a long time before grading. I think it is important to think why grading evolved to where it is. Back when prices skyrocketed in the 70's and 80's , the crooks came out of the woodwork. Recoloring cards with sharpies, trimming (and bad trimming as many were caught off guard that someone would do this) , using chemicals to whiten cards and many other restoration processes that I think we all agree are unacceptable. Grading did not become popular because someone soaked a bent card in water or soaked a tobacco card that was yellow to get the smoke out of it. Remember these were sold with cigarettes that were smoked in a room with no ventilation. lol

I have seen many posts throughout the years of glue removal , water stain removal , etc where cards were soaked in distilled water. If that is all that was done, I am confident that no one on this board or at psa could pick the cards out of a stack if they were randomly inserted into a stack of say 100. The additional steps that have been discussed on this board like soaking , stretching then trimming I would hope psa or a seasoned collector could detect.

as for the modern card alterations , I can't offer anything as I have clearly shown my age with my previous comments and am not familiar with these cards ;)

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Personally, I can't let this scandal get in the way of my collecting Joe Louis cards. If Joe calls, I come running. No matter where he is. I guess it's kind of like rescuing a cat from the road. Hold on Joe, buddy, I'm coming to get ya!

@Estil

Is that you?

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:
    lots of facinating and differing opinions in this thread. I am curious of the demographics of the dispersion in opinions. that is , is it the younger group that has the hardline stance that the card must go from pack to holder untouched? is it the older group that is more accepting of certain "common" practices like wiping wax ?

I have been around this hobby a long time before grading. I think it is important to think why grading evolved to where it is. Back when prices skyrocketed in the 70's and 80's , the crooks came out of the woodwork. Recoloring cards with sharpies, trimming (and bad trimming as many were caught off guard that someone would do this) , using chemicals to whiten cards and many other restoration processes that I think we all agree are unacceptable. Grading did not become popular because someone soaked a bent card in water or soaked a tobacco card that was yellow to get the smoke out of it. Remember these were sold with cigarettes that were smoked in a room with no ventilation. lol

I have seen many posts throughout the years of glue removal , water stain removal , etc where cards were soaked in distilled water. If that is all that was done, I am confident that no one on this board or at psa could pick the cards out of a stack if they were randomly inserted into a stack of say 100. The additional steps that have been discussed on this board like soaking , stretching then trimming I would hope psa or a seasoned collector could detect.

as for the modern card alterations , I can't offer anything as I have clearly shown my age with my previous comments and am not familiar with these cards ;)

Welcome to the forum

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:

It’s more a mindset than generational. I bet it’s pretty even although I don’t know what the breakdown is in terms of how many accept “conservation” and how many don’t. The latter group is certainly more vocal.

It does appear that young trimmers alter young cards and old trimmers alter old ones.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok. I just deleted all of the cat jokes. If you guys want to talk cards again, give it a shot. If not, I can close the thread.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.