Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

March Pickups - 2019

Comments

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2019 5:42AM

Great purchases everyone! Strong month so far. Working on m,y 1989 Star Master Set..

I noticed the mark above the "e" in Ken. Turns out it is on every one of these #11 cards... Every example I looked up...

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:

@KendallCat said:
    I looked at that card through and through as well and could not find anything wrong with it. It is truly a monster and the PSA 7.5 1961 Mantle looked better than the 8 and 9 that were listed at the same time. That was money well spent.

KC

I spent 3 minutes looking at the Mantle pics this time. I agree with the above after viewing the other 3 this is the one I'd buy , overpay if needed, and feel great about it.

@daltex Thanks for the info I had forgotten how good the start of his career showed great future promise.

Back to that Mantle now that I have more than 3 seconds to look at it =

Front = to the right of Micks top button about 1 mm appears to be a possible well camouflaged fish eye -- its blue and appears on the middle of a stripe so its going to attract someones attention under magnification. Back you have a printers mark in the upper left corner and the back is diamond tilting ( minor tilt to the left of the entire back ) otherwise back is perfect.

I'd need it in person to know if it displays surface wrinkle issues= no picture on this planet is going to show evidence of minor surface wrinkling . Human eye sees it best.

The cards not one I'd send for review= its one I'd carefully crack and sub on its own merits on an order. Would be worth the $200 super express fee & shipping costs IF I owned such a stunner. I'd be sending KC a box of cookies for not bidding as well that's one he should have snagged for that Mantle run of his.

Jeff

Thank you for the note, and I did notice the fish eye but it would would not cause me to not bid on this example. It is well hidden which is a good thing and don’t think it takes the grade down at all. If there was a surface wrinkle the best grade it would receive would probably be a 5. Major wrinkles I believe the top grade is a 4. Having said that this is one of the best examples in the hobby no matter the grade and are very hard to find. I don’t have many cards like that but have a couple which I really enjoy and don’t think you can put a price on them. This is possibly my favorite example I own and don’t think I can find an 8/8.5 that would beat it - going to try and review it this summer in Chicago.

I appreciate the cookie offer, and just snag some extra ones at the Doubletree in Chicago for the National and we are good 😄 We will be staying there so I will bring extras if needed!

If I was still doing my complete Mantle run I would have bid on the card, but no guarantee I would have won it with the number of people that wanted that card. I will say that I am finding it fun to grab a card that looks incredible without having to pay an 8/8.5 grade. Doing this allows me to grab more cards with my budget and I enjoy the chase just as much. I agree about getting it reviewed and I would keep it in the holder the forst attempt or two and then maybe crack it out.

KC

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

Here's the start of what looks to be a busy week of Roy purchases, snagged these 3 on eBay tonight:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Been a busy past few weeks for me. I did get this in. I have owned this card before but sold all three I had previously. I am very happy to get this one to go along with the Curry TC 10 I got last October.

Steve
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I’d break with my normal high res scans in favor of a group shot. Mail time saw the arrival of 12 new additions for my set; the bottom three rows all arrived today, highlighted by Chuck Klein and Phil Cavaretta directly below the Babe. That which flanks Babe and that above him are some of the more recognizable stars in the set.

1946 Propagandas Montiel Set (In Progress)

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    I noticed the mark above the "e" in Ken. Turns out it is on every one of these #11 cards... Every example I looked up...

Great card nonetheless. There's an Emmitt card that has some sort of tool mark on the surface. Every copy I've even seen has it. I'm sure you feel the same but having a 9 is the equivalent of a 10 when it comes to something like that.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jordan USA card.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    edited March 18, 2019 12:27PM

@stwainfan said:
    Jordan USA card.

Nice Jordan! I have fond memories of watching the 1992 dream team during the Olympics. Watching them beat down the competition was truly a sight to behold. Good times.

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawnmowerman said:

@stwainfan said:
    Jordan USA card.

Nice Jordan! I have fond memories of watching the 1992 dream team during the Olympics. Watching them beat down the competition was truly a sight to behold. Good times.

Thanks yes that was a great team.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

I love 90’s Topps Chrome refractors!
    These arrived today:

• Options
    edited March 18, 2019 1:03PM

@pjb103183 said:
    I love 90’s Topps Chrome refractors!

Nice Emmitt. I was contemplating hitting it. I've been waiting for that card to come up in 10 for awhile now. It's a pop 6 in 10 but I haven't seen one decently priced in a while.

• Options

@han_soto said:

@alifaxwa2 said:

love that you left “sincerely” in the samuel l. cut! very cool!

only constructive criticism i can give, is that i woulda went w/ the “ah ah ah” scene pic w/ the knight card!

I would've gone with "Hold on to ya butts" for Samuel, but that's just me

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options

I think this one puts me at about half the St. Patrick's Relics set, with one more (hopefully) coming this week:

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys, had very limited photo options for some of these guys. Most of there scenes were in dark rooms, making clear photos tough to find.
    Surprising, finding a sharp bright Dern wasn’t as easy as I expected.

@han_soto said:

@alifaxwa2 said:

only constructive criticism i can give, is that i woulda went w/ the “ah ah ah” scene pic w/ the knight card!

@rmh111985 said:

@han_soto said:

@alifaxwa2 said:

I would've gone with "Hold on to ya butts" for Samuel, but that's just me

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays - Great TROUT Pick Up!! Had that on watch. You got a good one there!! Congratz!!

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

just picked this one up last night , a signed Edd Roush 8x10

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

More shiny stuff:

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

The moratorium on excessive spending was lifted recently since the move is almost done and we're in the clear. So I bought the following 1984 OPC Baseball box. Tape was not intact, but the box was clearly unearched. Let's just say, I had a good feeling about this box the second I saw it.

Andy

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ahopkins said:
    Let's just say, I had a good feeling about this box the second I saw it.

Super clean box and score!

• Options

@ahopkins said:
    The moratorium on excessive spending was lifted recently since the move is almost done and we're in the clear. So I bought the following 1984 OPC Baseball box.

When can we expect the rip thread? Inquiring minds want to know😁

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@ahopkins said:
    Let's just say, I had a good feeling about this box the second I saw it.

Super clean box and score!

This is a great eBay story, actually. The seller had the box up for sale and it was plastic wrapped, but not BBCE or OPCbaseball.com wrapped. I messaged the guy and explained the risk I might be taking if I bought the box wrappedoy to find out there were 1988 Topps packs inside. He unwrapped the box for me, sent me pics of the contents, and even indulged me with closeup pics of a few packs so that I could verify they were legit. The guy was a class act the whole way and a deal was struck, and it happened to be on the evening of the 15% eBay discount. It couldn't have gone better.

Andy

Andy

• Options

@lawnmowerman said:

@ahopkins said:
    The moratorium on excessive spending was lifted recently since the move is almost done and we're in the clear. So I bought the following 1984 OPC Baseball box.

When can we expect the rip thread? Inquiring minds want to know😁

Haha, maybe. The Mattingly pack is going to PSA. The others are likely to get ripped at some point. I'm on the hunt for a gemmy OPC Mattingly.

Andy

• Options

A few more Roy pickups from tonight. The Relics is a dual jersey/stick card, the first one of these I've seen in a long time:

• Options
    Sportscards1086Sportscards1086 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

Just getting back into things...slowly obviously

• Options
    ssdawg77ssdawg77 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another addition for my '52 set. Only 89 to go mainly high #'s and of course the 3 M's, Mantle, Mays and Mathews.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2019 2:00PM

@LOTSOS said:
    Funny thing is, and I’m not sure if this is true for other sports too, Probstien has started dumping early 80s Hockey PSA 10s on ebay in fixed price not auction formats at absolutely absurd prices. Not sure if they bought a collection or had a consignee request fixed price listings.

I think it's consignee request. I've also noticed some high starting bid items in his listings too, though those seem to go down each relist until they sell.

• Options

@slimies said:
    just picked this one up last night , a signed Edd Roush 8x10

Nice pick-up slimies.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

@LOTSOS said:
    Funny thing is, and I’m not sure if this is true for other sports too, Probstien has started dumping early 80s Hockey PSA 10s on ebay in fixed price not auction formats at absolutely absurd prices. Not sure if they bought a collection or had a consignee request fixed price listings.

I think it's consignee request. I've also noticed some high starting bid items in his listings too, though those seem to go down each relist until they sell.

@han_soto said:

@LarkinCollector said:

@LOTSOS said:

>

that gare is amazing!!

i reluctantly had to pick up an item from probstein. however, it was a bin w obo. was set appropriately high. i offered 50% of bin price, they countered at 65%.

they are pretty far down on my list of people to bid with in an auction format but actually found solace in BIN. no shenanigans there.

@han_soto Thanks! Was hoping for a double dime on that one and actually thought the Perreault might only get an Auth.

@LarkinCollector Now that you mention it I have seen them start at really high priced auctions and then transition to bin and finally to Bin/Bo. @han_soto Good to know about the flexibility with their BOs. Now I only have to wait until they drop the BIN to double a reasonable price.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:

I was watching the Hernandez rookie last night. No bids at $2000, so he relisted as a BIN for $2200!

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@han_soto

For the most part yes but not all. And as I've said at least for hockey, they seem to have progressed from high starting priced auctions, to high BIN only, and finally to OBO. My comment on waiting was as they go through the steps each time the price drops but I'm hoping that the price drops continue to where 50% of his BIN is more reasonable.

Kevin

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm still enjoying eBay 2% earnings for the month

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

got this from one of my friends .. kodak photo attached to bristol board of Hank Aaron being interviewed after home run 715.

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Here are two of my pick ups that just arrived....

This one is my latest addition to 2016 run...

• Options
    Sportscards1086Sportscards1086 Posts: 168 ✭✭✭

New today...