Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

March Pickups - 2019

Comments

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 The 88 Topps is a rare picture for Roy. He's got the classic 80's backup goalie look rocking with the towel around his neck. Not to often he was the backup.

Kevin

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

A (1 of 1) Brady Auto pickup in dual PSA 10 Grade.

• Options
    PopeyesSpinachPopeyesSpinach Posts: 194 ✭✭✭

@45isodd said:
    Picked this one up, figured I’d have to get it sooner or later for the Hall of Fame rookie card registry. So now I’m ten years ahead of the curve. :)

Looks good. I'd send it in for a review and possible bump. If you're a super gambler, perhaps crack and resub.

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

I am very big into fantasy baseball and this guy has helped me win my league twice in the past 8 years (keeper league). Made the very tough decision NOT to keep him this year....I miss him already.

Bought this last night to pay homage to his incredible run for me since I took him in the 16th round in our 2012 draft. Thought it was a decent deal and I love me some Heritage gold refractors anyways. Sellers shady pic below:

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2019 9:10AM

Nice mail day. The Prescott and Jones are gifts from Yankeeno7...thanks again Barry
    The Emmitt is an upgrade for my set

• Options

@LOTSOS - love vintage Hockey. Keep em' coming!! Are you going to open your 79 Topps Hockey Packs from the break or keep them sealed? Chris.

• Options

@UFFDAH Chris,

First I'm going to try and identify any with HOFers on back. Those will be set aside to be graded. If they don't I'm going to rip them. I was planning to start a thread once they arrive. Haven't figured out a time frame yet. May rip one a month or something like that. How about you? If you're going to rip yours feel free to add them to my thread if you feel inclined to share. Anyone else who is going to rip them is welcome to post too.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    edited March 7, 2019 3:06PM

@lotsos - Kevin not sure if I will rip or not but will watch for your post. Cool packs straight from a box!! On a side note a rare rookie hockey card came up for sale on PWCC recently that is pretty sweet and I managed to get it. I am going to have it re-holdered before I share. I think you'll like it and may have seen it on the auction. Hint: Black and Yellow.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Mr. Mathews!

• Options

@UFFDAH said:
    @lotsos - Kevin not sure if I will rip or not but will watch for your post. Cool packs straight from a box!! On a side note a rare rookie hockey card came up for sale on PWCC recently that is pretty sweet and I managed to get it. I am going to have it re-holdered before I share. I think you'll like it and may have seen it on the auction. Hint: Black and Yellow.

Since there are only 3 teams in the league with black and gold jerseys I’m going to go out on a limb and rule out the Knights. I really hope it’s the one I’m thinking of. PSA 10 pop 1? If so that is AWSOME!

Kevin

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Decided to purchase a few fish : A regular trout update & signed one, I also wanted an ice Trae.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11, 2019 10:50AM

I recently picked up a nice looking and complete (with envelope) 1955-1957 Yankees Picture Pack. They’re all in pretty good shape and the Mantle looks like perhaps the best of the lot. Clean front and back but they’re photos, not scans. I’ll get scans up when I can...

EDIT: High quality scans of Mickey Mantle added

1955-57 Yankees Picture Pack

Mickey Mantle

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

@LOTSOS said:
    @rmh111985 The 88 Topps is a rare picture for Roy. He's got the classic 80's backup goalie look rocking with the towel around his neck. Not to often he was the backup.

It's one of my favorite early cards of his for that simple fact, that it shows an all-time great goalie ready to warm the bench all night. Certainly not the action shot you'd expect for a 500+ win tender.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options

My earlier pickup reminded me that I also grabbed a 1962 Yankees Team Issue Set (Picture Pack) not too long ago, having sold the other one to a Mantle nut who needed it for his Master Set. That one now resides in a PSA 5 holder and while happy for him I never like to part with anything. Perhaps it's just hopeful eyes, and sure there's some tilt but this may in fact be even nicer and it has really, really sharp corners. It will be going to PSA very soon along with the '55-57 above and a few other Jay and Team Issue Mickey's. And I hope to have my 1954 All-Star Photo Mantle back in it's new Jumbo by month's end. See how easy I get sidetracked? Enough talk, here's the aforementioned beauty:

1962 Yankees Team Issue - Mickey Mantle

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

just picked this up tonight.. sorry for the scan quality , ill try to get a better picture soon.. its a signed winnipeg blue bombers football picked up at value village in the sporting equipment.. not sure the autograph name though

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Picked these up from a fellow board member. I need to get a real scanner......

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

got response back online ,, the football is signed by Buck Pierce from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mookie Betts Topps Update.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks again to Harvey (Hacnac) for the great card!

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

More slabs as I catch up scanning- two from January and two from February. These die cuts are a bear even pack fresh. The red refractors are prone to production issues happy with the 9 however a little disappointed in the Interleague as I didn't catch minor chipping on one of the edges before sending in. Ah well.

• Options

Joe, @SpinFadeSplash23

Not familiar with the video game grading game. Are they factory sealed, opened, or empty boxes?

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Hello @LOTSOS (Kevin),

They are factory sealed, unopened with the cartridge/manual inside. As a kid, I still remember staying up until 4AM playing the Atari 2600 at my grandparents house in South Florida, specifically Asteroids.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

Here are my recent basketball pickups. Not all are from March, but I don't think I posted the Feb ones in Feb, so here they are now.

First up, a tough die-cut Michael Jordan insert.

Next up, I have been picking up HOF Topps Chrome Refractors over the past year and a half. A lot are ungraded but for the big guns like MJ, Kobe, Lebron or any HOF RC's I like to have them graded. I prefer PSA over BGS, but I couldn't pass up the deals on the Kobe BGS cards. I may look into attempting a crossover on them since their subgrades are all 9.5+.

I will close with some ungraded Lebron cards. I am looking to get his base Exquisite run. This is a start.

Steve
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Hello @LOTSOS (Kevin),

They are factory sealed, unopened with the cartridge/manual inside. As a kid, I still remember staying up until 4AM playing the Atari 2600 at my grandparents house in South Florida, specifically Asteroids.

Those are very sweet. Where at in South Fla? I grew up in Miami (Kendall) hence my screen name. No I am not a cat lover either - I played at Kentucky and since they are the Wildcats it was an easy name to make. Next like I will do something easy like Mr Snuffleupagus 😄

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2019 1:22PM

Grandparents lived in Davie and I currently reside in the Margate/Coral Springs area, @KendallCat

I recommend a name change to KendallWildcat so there is not a misunderstanding that you like cats. We can't have that happening.

Joe

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 I'm a huge fan of the 48 Leaf set- that one just pops- sweet card !!

@slum22 Chrome is king in football and hoop far as I'm concerned- again great cards !!

@NGS428 Nice Griffey's haven't gotten to him yet in my alphabet soup of slabbing

@45isodd - I frankly would leave it slabbed as is and not touch it.Nice Brady rookie !!

@UFFDAH not sure who you are but you have impeccable taste

@LOTSOS while not a hockey guy the player and team registry aspect is one I love viewing keep them coming :)

A few more slabs catching up. Saving the big dogs for later the majority scanning now are registry stuff or for resale on feebay. The McGwire Lords Of The Diamond has a dimple on it only thing that prevented it Gem10.
    The Finest I just forgot to wipe surfaces on them- not an issue I have tons more
    Anyone who slabs Pacific knows how difficult gems are so happy on that one

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Submission came back plus a couple of recent pickups....

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, has anyone noticed that there is a new type of holder being used lately? My latest sub was back to the previous type. Compare the Gullett above to the other two. Look at the PSA logo on the lower right and the appearance of the case at the very outside edges.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    BTW, has anyone noticed that there is a new type of holder being used lately? My latest sub was back to the previous type. Compare the Gullett above to the other two. Look at the PSA logo on the lower right and the appearance of the case at the very outside edges.

Good eye.

Joe

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 10, 2019 10:09AM

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2019 7:08PM

I was not going to post this initially as I bought it more for its value as a ‘manufacture piece’ rather than as part of the set itself; per se. It’s a really cool set that also has wrestlers and boxers, too, but I decided originally that I’d be working only the baseball players, as it has a good mix of names on the checklist and the year of 1946 puts it in an era where many of these retired legends were still among the living.

Anyhow what made me scoop this was a decent price and the ‘2 for 1’ appeal as these are typically found as singles. And what made me post it? I know that we’ve got a few boxing collectors on the boards so I hope they can appreciate it; I’m mostly a baseball guy.

1946 Propagandas Montiel #7/#8 Jess Willard/Jack Dempsey (Dempsey on left)

• Options

@jfkheat Liking the OPC league leaders and 70 Kelloggs !

@Kendallcat when I slab my Mantles I'll have to keep them away from you seems you buy up any you find well centered :)

@JKT Nice Arenado. I had not seen that Trout before think that ones an SP isn't it ? If not reminds me why I like Trout so much

@1951WheatiesPremium love the Montiel items your showing

A few more slabs almost at the better part of the sub that came back ( bunch of game used stuff loaded with Hall of Famers).

Continuing along the lines of Hall of Famers ( and possibles) more Helton and Vlad with a possible Hockey HOF in Lindros and Griffey of course. I've carried that Lindros Classic promo card and many others across the country thru 2 moves and somehow still kept it in mint shape- how I have no clue.

• Options

@jeffv96masters

Thanks for the props on my Props!

:smiley:

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long Live Heritage!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

Continuing along the lines of Hall of Famers ( and possibles) more Helton and Vlad with a possible Hockey HOF in Lindros and Griffey of course. I've carried that Lindros Classic promo card and many others across the country thru 2 moves and somehow still kept it in mint shape- how I have no clue.

The good news, is that Lindros is in the HOF. I always loved that card as a kid, but never owned it. It's a shame the rest of the #1 picks on that card didn't have the same success, especially Brien Taylor. Quite the story behind his fall.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    edited March 17, 2019 9:09AM

Tough condition sensitive Visions by classic. I checked the pop today when it arrived. I was surprised to see this is the only card graded from the entire set. A true psa population of 1.

• Options

Overshadowed. Both of them. Probably their whole lives. Imagine that for a moment. I mean, just by being a major league baseball player, you are one of the best players in the history of the game and yet at thanksgiving you're the second best player at the table every year. So, it's fitting that they were purchased and traveled to me together. One is already right next to his brother in my set but Daddy George is not in the set, much to Dick's chagrin.

1946 Propagandas Montiel #46 Dom DiMaggio

1946 Propagandas Montiel #49 Richard Sisler

• Options
    edited March 11, 2019 6:50PM

Since most people don’t know this set all that well, I guess I should mention there are 519 total cards graded from the 1946 Propagandas Montiel set by PSA and there’s around 180 cards in the complete set. Produced in Cuba, they were essentially paper to wrap candy in. There are 20ish graded each of Ruth, Cobb, Gehrig, DiMaggio and Williams. Ruth and Cobb each have two cards; one scarcer (full batting pose?) than the other (portrait).

Anyway, I think it’s a cool set.

• Options

Used the eBay 15% to snag this, along with some other hockey purchases. As a lifelong Flyers fan, it's nice to have a tender to finally be excited about, just hope the organization doesn't ruin him.

• Options

A PSA 10 Pop 1 Jordan Pickup

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

Here's what I got....

1938 Goudey

1955 Bowman

1934 Goudey