Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

March Pickups - 2019

Comments

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 as usual great Roy pickups and good to see the Hart kid performing well
    Nothing makes a team play with more confidence than knowing the goaltender can keep you in games

@UFFDAH The UD Legends insert sets are all undervalued in my opinion. The Die Cut is hard to keep in Gem Mint shape and frankly the foiling isn't easy to keep in great shape either. Good pickup and underappreciated !! I'd rather have that foil die cut card than many of the colored full sized of that year. Great Quantum as well !!

@pdub1819 The Yogi is by far my favorite of the custom group and good choice on the Goudey Jeter year

@1951WheatiesPremium as usual nice Munson !!

Some game used additions recently protected. A little upset they put the Johnson in backwards the label is supposed to go on the right side- not the left. Every other game used they slabbed was right sided. The two I sent in for 2004 Flair both got put in left sided. Why I have no clue but they are possibly headed back

Continuing my Hall of Famer tilt is the Johnson and the Thomas the Nomo's a throw in slab choice glad it got the Mint 9

• Options
    dictoresno1dictoresno1 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭

gonna sub to PSA soon, got 3 orders there now.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@addicted2ebay said:
    Nice centered Koufax RC. Nicer than the 7 I have. Sharp corners.. not sure why the 5 grade??

Are you saying a 4SC card was undergraded? :smile: It does look nice!

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

@prgsdw said:
    Some great stuff already this month in this thread! A pickup from the Philly Show.

Steve

Nice Staubach Steve!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monte - I was talking about the 61 Mantle with a couple other collectors privately and the 7.5 was nicer than the 8 and the 9 that were for sale by PWCC. Was contemplating picking it up because it was such a nice example, and I am not really a fan of 61, 63, or 67 Mantle's for whatever reason - 1961 is one of the few years I have never owned. Having said that this example is such a nice card and very worthy of the HE designation. Great pickup!

KC

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was surprised to win this one tonight. Have been underbidder a few times on these with a similar bid.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won this '61 Mantle in tonight's PWCC Auction. I fell for the bold colors, jet black background, and blemish-free of print fish eyes in the red/yellow nameplate. Plus...centering is nice.

Wow Monte - you hit the jackpot with that one!

It's nicer than 8s I've seen - as you said - centering, registration, color - yahtzee!

Mike
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

KC...I am glad you passed. It came expensive enough w/o another bidder. ;)

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Stone...I sold my 8 to pick this one up. Buy the card...not the holder.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@mintonlypls said:
    KC...I am glad you passed. It came expensive enough w/o another bidder. ;)

😄

I had literally entered the bid amount and was going to hit the button, but then I remembered the wisdom of Mike (Stone) which is keep your focus narrow - I knew it was a monster but that $3-4K would be saved for another Mantle or some unopened 70’s racks or the National. Again, you got a monster of a card that looks like an 8/8.5.

KC

• Options

Mike Stone is a smart man!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Nice Donnie! That's a deal even for a sticker auto and no logo. #/49 even.

I recently picked up this one. It's out for delivery this morning.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    I won this '61 Mantle in tonight's PWCC Auction. I fell for the bold colors, jet black background, and blemish-free of print fish eyes in the red/yellow nameplate. Plus...centering is nice.

WOW now that's a card that is spectacular. Congrats on the pickup. I was never a Mantle guy, but makes me want to buy one.

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

Thx BPorter...get the bug and pick up a few!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something old ...

something new.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:
    Something old ...

something new.

Borrowed? Blue?

Kris

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 12:24PM

@krisd3279 said:

@LarkinCollector said:
    Something old ...

something new.

Borrowed? Blue?

;) I don't think I've 'borrowed' any cards or sports collectibles, so I'll have to go with 'recently gifted' and 'blue' all in one ...

ETA: Thanks again @cjhav !

• Options

@han_soto Nerds!!!!!!!

Kris

• Options

I always liked those hot gloves inserts. Nice pick up Kyle!

• Options

Loving the cowboys additions Steve

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last month, I got a pretty good price on a 1993 Bowman Jeter SGC 10. I figured I would cross it over for my set. Last night, I found a ‘poorly listed’ PSA 10 auction (same card) and won it for an even better price! Needless to say, the SGC will be available on ebay (and here) soon. And I have moved into 3rd place on the PSA Registry Set - 1998 Yankees Rookies Set as a result.

1993 Bowman #511 Derek Jeter

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

I have had this one for a while. Came back home today...

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Last month, I got a pretty good price on a 1993 Bowman Jeter SGC 10. I figured I would cross it over for my set. Last night, I found a ‘poorly listed’ PSA 10 auction (same card) and won it for an even better price! Needless to say, the SGC will be available on ebay (and here) soon. And I have moved into 3rd place on the PSA Registry Set - 1998 Yankees Rookies Set as a result.

1993 Bowman #511 Derek Jeter

Great card! The 93 Bowman Jeter is such a classic looking card. Nice , simple design that works. One of my favs for sure.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 5:50PM

@mintonlypls said:

Wow, I knew mantle was hot, but not that hot. That exact card almost doubled in final hammer price in the last month. The power of PWCC vs your average joe seller.

That is a spectacular card.

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2019 5:59PM

Got this today

Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

A HOF Rookie.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options

@lawnmowerman Nice to see you posting again Matt but makes me more happy to see you and the wife still chugging along :)

Yes sir. That is one thing that will never change. Thanks!

• Options

Picked this up for only $19.99 even though I didn't need it. The last one sold for $149.99 obo 3 weeks ago. Of course I'm not sure what it actually sold for but I would guess it wasn't close to $19.99.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ssdawg77 said:
    A couple more for my 54 set, down to 23 needed now. I've got to clean the cases, especially the Lenhardt, it has a terrible scratch to the right of his mouth.

How do you go about fixing scratches?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jeffv96masters said:

The Awesome 8 shortstops card is perplexing- why Tejada got put in makes no sense at all if they wanted a current player who may make the HOF then Omar Vizquel at the time would have made more sense but then again never sure why card companies do what they do. The fact its Jeters uniform # was coincidental.

In 2006 Tejada had received MVP votes in the previous 6 seasons. FWIW, despite the end of their respective careers, he was vastly superior to Vizquel.

• Options

jeffv96masters

Here is a scan of the back

mint_only_pls
  • Options

I looked at that card through and through as well and could not find anything wrong with it. It is truly a monster and the PSA 7.5 1961 Mantle looked better than the 8 and 9 that were listed at the same time. That was money well spent.

KC

• Options

@softparade said:
    How do you go about fixing scratches?

My go to is zymol car wax. Of course if it's super deep nothing is going to fix it without still seeing a trace of the scratch.

• Options
    jeffv96mastersjeffv96masters Posts: 595 ✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    I looked at that card through and through as well and could not find anything wrong with it. It is truly a monster and the PSA 7.5 1961 Mantle looked better than the 8 and 9 that were listed at the same time. That was money well spent.

KC

I spent 3 minutes looking at the Mantle pics this time. I agree with the above after viewing the other 3 this is the one I'd buy , overpay if needed, and feel great about it.

@daltex Thanks for the info I had forgotten how good the start of his career showed great future promise.

Back to that Mantle now that I have more than 3 seconds to look at it =

Front = to the right of Micks top button about 1 mm appears to be a possible well camouflaged fish eye -- its blue and appears on the middle of a stripe so its going to attract someones attention under magnification. Back you have a printers mark in the upper left corner and the back is diamond tilting ( minor tilt to the left of the entire back ) otherwise back is perfect.

I'd need it in person to know if it displays surface wrinkle issues= no picture on this planet is going to show evidence of minor surface wrinkling . Human eye sees it best.

The cards not one I'd send for review= its one I'd carefully crack and sub on its own merits on an order. Would be worth the $200 super express fee & shipping costs IF I owned such a stunner. I'd be sending KC a box of cookies for not bidding as well that's one he should have snagged for that Mantle run of his.

Jeff