Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Rocketship! (19XGC) (Sold Out..,.)

Comments

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2019 7:21PM

Wasn’t paying attention because PFSWeb is usually not that quick when you use the free shipping, but my AM 21 Mar order shipped... PM on 21 Mar. :o

Must have been a slow friday.

Edit to add. Checked the tracking and it actually shipped and departed Memphis.

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fox9487 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DotStore said:
    Someone mentioned the Kennedy Half in the Rocketship set is not a High Relief Strike. I thought the US Mint switched back to the original "High Relief" obverse starting in 2015 (even for their regular P/D Clad offerings). If I compare this Half Dollar to my 2014 High Relief Anniversary 2-Coin Clad Set (K14), the Obverse looks to be identical in terms of the High Relief.

I think what they meant to say is that it is not a special strike. It is the same die and strike as all the clad offerings from 2015 onward. It is simply not unique to the rocketship sets.

and it is not a High Relief. B)

Technically, the original 1964 half was a "high relief" version and later dates were struck with a lower relief design. In 2014 the original "high relief" was resurrected and used on all strikes from that time forward. Enter the era when Kennedys were no longer produced for circulation. These are actually the "high relief", original type strikes. Interesting to note that the Redbook only refers to high reliefs for the 2014 anniversary unc sets, but none since.

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    fox9487fox9487 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

@Akbeez said:

@fox9487 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DotStore said:
    Someone mentioned the Kennedy Half in the Rocketship set is not a High Relief Strike. I thought the US Mint switched back to the original "High Relief" obverse starting in 2015 (even for their regular P/D Clad offerings). If I compare this Half Dollar to my 2014 High Relief Anniversary 2-Coin Clad Set (K14), the Obverse looks to be identical in terms of the High Relief.

I think what they meant to say is that it is not a special strike. It is the same die and strike as all the clad offerings from 2015 onward. It is simply not unique to the rocketship sets.

and it is not a High Relief. B)

Technically, the original 1964 half was a "high relief" version and later dates were struck with a lower relief design. In 2014 the original "high relief" was resurrected and used on all strikes from that time forward. Enter the era when Kennedys were no longer produced for circulation. These are actually the "high relief", original type strikes. Interesting to note that the Redbook only refers to high reliefs for the 2014 anniversary unc sets, but none since.

Thanks for straightening me out Akbeez. I would blame my mistake on the Redbook but it is more a failing mind and ignorance on my part.... & now I have to wait for a Rocket Ship order to arrive and pull out some 2014 to present Kennedy sets and/or rolls and take a side by side up close lookie. If only Aspie was here to help me out. :o

Successful Transactions: Coinflip, bp777, firstspousecoins, Akbeez, jmlanzaf, JWP
  • Options
    mas3387mas3387 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

I have only 1 coin of each mint in my registry sets. One P and one D both in ms67 grade. If I locate others, I will pm you. My last recollection is that the P minted coin has only 45 coins graded in ms67 and 12 coins in the d mint. Both coins have none graded higher or until you submit your 2018 mints sets. if you get some 8's, let me know.

2018 D Kennedy's in the mint sets are pretty beat up

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2019 9:20PM

A NGC PL68 bid up to and sold for $787 last night.... :# ...and the BINs are $299... :*

• Options
    edited March 24, 2019 9:21PM

@Bullsitter said:
    A NGC PL68 sold for $780 last night.... :#

Double the :#:# and add a :o

—————-

Quick links for Rocketship MSPL lookup:

2019-D 50C Rocketship Set, PL (Regular Strike): 704876

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2019-d-50c-rocketship-set-pl/704876

2019-D 50C Rocketship Set - First Strike, PL (Regular Strike): 704877

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2019-d-50c-rocketship-set-first-strike-apollo-pf-pl/704877

• Options

@Bullsitter said:
    A NGC PL68 bid up to and sold for $787 last night.... :# ...and the BINs are $299... :*

Selling coins you don't have verses coins in hand.. In hand auctions tend to sell higher then PRE-Sellers

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    What an incredibly lucky...

Underbidder!

Just my 2 cents.

Wondercoin.

Thanks Wonder !!! Good luck with your coins as well !!

Just my 2 cents.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2019 5:03AM

That's amazing the NGC MS68 PL got so high ($787). Once the flow of NGC 68's (and the PCGS 68/69's) start hitting eBay that price should come down (imho)

The other seller has the NGC MS68 PL listed currently at $299 (he raised the price after he sold 6 of them last night for $199 and/or probably after he saw what the Auction ended at...). **EDIT: ** Looks like he sold 3 more this morning after I posted this... And he also sold 6 MS67 PL's at $99 each...

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Wonder !!! Good luck with your coins as well !!

Just my 2 cents.

Excuse me... first... I had no idea who the seller of that particular coin was when I commented about 100 seconds after reading bullsitter’s post. I am in Asia and paying little attention to Sunday night auctions in the US. I think I am sleeping through most of them with the 14 hour time difference. Second, the fact we both stated just the other day that we expect hoards of higher grade PL coins to come out of the services (just from our own coins!) is entirely in line with the comment.

I assume now it was your auction. You have nothing to defend. You did nothing wrong. You continue to do everything right. Lucky underbidder. Smart seller.

All good!

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

I can remember... when was it ? About 2 - 3 weeks ago (too lazy to go through 12+ pages of posts). The debate was about AH or not AH. Then is it a special strike or not a special strike.

Now it’s MSPL.

Wow!

Hopefully, the cardboard rockets are not too mangled after all this. They DO make great gifts and are just the right size as a gift card. Especially in time for the Golden 50th, 20 July.

Living the moment and having fun in this hobby!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    I can remember... when was it ? About 2 - 3 weeks ago (too lazy to go through 12+ pages of posts). The debate was about AH or not AH. Then is it a special strike or not a special strike.

Now it’s MSPL.

Wow!

Hopefully, the cardboard rockets are not too mangled after all this. They DO make great gifts and are just the right size as a gift card. Especially in time for the Golden 50th, 20 July.

Living the moment and having fun in this hobby!

It is an interesting psychological experiment.

• Options
    BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slim pickin's. Not many available...

• Options

Like an oil well. The initial gush and as the reservoir depletes only a trickle.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:
    Numbers from the Mint are out.

2019 ROCKETSHIP SET 46762 3/10/2019
    2019 ROCKETSHIP SET 47143 3/17/2019

2019 ROCKETSHIP SET 47860 3/24/2019

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

so help an old fool, does this mean that there are still 2,240 sets left to sell? I hope that it does as I really want to get 2 sets at mint cost price for my little collectors.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

so help an old fool, does this mean that there are still 2,240 sets left to sell? I hope that it does as I really want to get 2 sets at mint cost price for my little collectors.

No. This number represents the number the Mint has sold. The actual sales rarely reaches full mintage, for reasons always mysterious.

I suspect some are actually minted but not sold. For instance, a coin probably goes into the mint archives, some may be given to congress critters, etc.

They've gotten better at getting close to the mintage for sold-out products, but apparently not this time. I suppose all that would need to happen is a couple thousand rocketship packaging get damaged during shipping...

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@WAYNEAS said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

No. This number represents the number the Mint has sold. The actual sales rarely reaches full mintage, for reasons always mysterious.

I suspect some are actually minted but not sold. For instance, a coin probably goes into the mint archives, some may be given to congress critters, etc.

They've gotten better at getting close to the mintage for sold-out products, but apparently not this time. I suppose all that would need to happen is a couple thousand rocketship packaging get damaged during shipping...

thank you so much, I do know that the mint keeps in its possession the first and last coin of every production run.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

Assuming they show up again, what are the chances they are customer returns? Has anyone bought and opened any after the initial "Currently Unavailable" Status that happened on March 10th (Sunday evening)? Were they high-quality or did they appear to be repackaged returns?

• Options

@DotStore said:
    Assuming they show up again, what are the chances they are customer returns? Has anyone bought and opened any after the initial "Currently Unavailable" Status that happened on March 10th (Sunday evening)? Were they high-quality or did they appear to be repackaged returns?

Zero. They don't sell customer returns

• Options

@DotStore said:

I bought after they went CU.

I opened a box of 5, three are crap, three are possibly grade worthy.

The unworthy Kennedy's all had hit marks (well, each have a hit mark), same as my original (non CU) Rocketship. I need to inspect closer though, one might be the lens.

The other three are okay. I'm being wishy-washy on grading them, though. I think I have this curse getting MS coins graded... :D

(Wait, you say. If I opened a box of 5, how could 3 be crap and 3 be okay? Hmmm.... :wink: )

• Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS just got my submission's for the rocket ship coins! Here comes my __ __ PL's Designation's! Make me proud PCGS! B)

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

That reminded me...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1016684/ups-truck-collision-over-1000-packages-spewed-along-highway

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@DotStore said:

Zero. They don't sell customer returns

I can't find it, but I recall reading an article with a US Mint Official. Question on Returns (and what happens to the coins that are returned), and I recall that person said something like they inspect the merchandise and will resell the items that pass their quality inspection...

Also, from an Article posted at a well known site titled
    Excessive returns prompt U.S. Mint officials to change return policy

In 2016, the Mint offered the 2016-W Winged Liberty Head Centennial gold dime with a maximum release of 125,000 coins. The issue sold out quickly, with orders restricted to 10 coins per household at $205 each. Within a month of the product’s release, however, the Mint accepted the return of nearly 9,000 of those coins. The coins were eventually resold when the Mint offered them a second time.

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

@DotStore said:

I bought after they went CU.

I opened a box of 5, three are crap, three are possibly grade worthy.

The unworthy Kennedy's all had hit marks (well, each have a hit mark), same as my original (non CU) Rocketship. I need to inspect closer though, one might be the lens.

The other three are okay. I'm being wishy-washy on grading them, though. I think I have this curse getting MS coins graded... :D

(Wait, you say. If I opened a box of 5, how could 3 be crap and 3 be okay? Hmmm.... :wink: )

Will offer you the mint price for the 2 crap ones plus shipping. They will go to a good kids home.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

That reminded me...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1016684/ups-truck-collision-over-1000-packages-spewed-along-highway

That puts a whole new meaning to "Track my package!"

• Options

@wondercoin

That is great news!

When able can you post a pic of your 69PL?

• Options

@wondercoin
    Congrats! I see there are 25 listed FDOI 69pl - are all those yours? can you share some numbers for statistics. Such as number of sets gone through to find "x" coins to submit, and out of those how many received 69pl, 68pl, etc... (and were any NOT given a PL designation)?

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hemispherical...

Probably never on my set coin... already set aside and put in collection.

Justin (monstercoinmart) will post a pic of an extra 69PL coin for sale on eBay probably today though. He hates when I “pressure him”. Lol.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

Wondercoun

Congra again.
    Im shocked you have only seen 3-4% .

Somebody must hv made one big purchase from the mint to make the sales jumped from high teens to near sellout.

I would hv thought it was you...
    :)

• Options

@wondercoin said:
    Hemispherical...

Justin (monstercoinmart) will post a pic of an extra 69PL coin for sale on eBay probably today though. He hates when I “pressure him”. Lol.

Wondercoin.

Thanks @wondercoin I will take a look.

• Options

@Sweetpie said:
    Wondercoun

Congra again.
    Im shocked you have only seen 3-4% .

Somebody must hv made one big purchase from the mint to make the sales jumped from high teens to near sellout.

I would hv thought it was you...
    :)

More than one...

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭

50 rockets coming today from the mint. Decisions, decisions.

Sell box sealed?

Open and go through them for a long shot at 69PL?

Hold them and do nothing until pricing shakes out a bit?

Just piece them out?

Hmmm...

Curious to see pricing on these...(especially compared to the ones that got sent without the rocket and thus no PL regardless of actually being PL)

Outstanding marketing play by PCGS.

• Options

@wondercoin
    Thanks so much for welcoming me to the board, and also for your reply!!! :)

• Options
    edited March 27, 2019 6:59AM

@Tetromibi said:
    50 rockets coming today from the mint. Decisions, decisions.

Sell box sealed?

Open and go through them for a long shot at 69PL?

Hold them and do nothing until pricing shakes out a bit?

Just piece them out?

Hmmm...

Curious to see pricing on these...(especially compared to the ones that got sent without the rocket and thus no PL regardless of actually being PL)

Outstanding marketing play by PCGS.

If you hold them until the "pricing shakes out", you will probably be under $9.95

Currently, sealed boxes are selling for more than opened boxes, for what that's worth.

Hold at your own peril.

In my ever humble opinion.

• Options

@Tetromibi said:

Should not matter where they came from or how submitted. If the coin is PL then should be labeled as such.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mas3387 said:

@Tetromibi said:

Should not matter where they came from or how submitted. If the coin is PL then should be labeled as such.

I agree, but there’s still no PL option listed on CoinFacts other than the ones with rocketship label.

Have you heard otherwise?

• Options

Pardon my manners @DotStore welcome to the forums!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

How much are sealed boxes per set going for? I have a sealed box of two but haven't thought much about it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited March 27, 2019 7:38AM

@grote15 said:
    How much are sealed boxes per set going for? I have a sealed box of two but haven't thought much about it.

Yesterday I saw on eBay these sales of sealed boxes:
    Box of 5 - $150 (free shipping)
    Box of 5 - $150 (free shipping)
    Box of 2 - $69.99 (free shipping) - looks like there were 2 of these sold

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the coins

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    jabbajabba Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    Hemispherical...

Wondercoin.

Can you give us the link when you get the auction going

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:
    Can you give us the link when you get the auction going

It is really easy to find just go to eBay and look for MonsterCoinMart store. I am sure you will have plenty of time and competition.

I will just sit back and watch as my two sets are like Trix, like the silly rabbit says, just for kids.

• Options

I agree with what you are saying because the one in my hand definitely puts this one to same. Let's see what it goes for

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file