Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2019 Rocketship! (19XGC) (Sold Out..,.)

BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 17, 2019 4:17AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Oh, man, one of the most coveted releases this year is scheduled for Feb 28, and only priced at $9.95! Yet another Space themed product...

2019 Rocketship (19XGC)

Two of our Mighty Minters™, Timothy and Layla, will help kids ages 7 – 12 as they “blast off” into the exciting world of coin collecting. To activate the glow-in-the-dark feature, place Rocketship in direct sunlight for about five minutes. Then take it into a dark room and watch it glow.

and

Mintage Limit: None
Product Limit: 50,000
Household Order Limit: 2

On sale Feb 28 @ Noon

(No, this is a real product, you think I'd kid you about that? :D )

This product is one of the "Kid Initiatives" started at the Mint this year to entice young numismatists (is that a condition?) to enter the coin collecting market. It comes with a clad Kennedy Half, and a Sacabuck, plus a place to put your own quarter. Damn, it even stands up and glows in the dark!!!

I'm in for two. At 50K with an HHL of two, this could be a 10 minute sell-out and the product of the year!

(Do I need to put in the sarcasm disclaimer? Oh, and I am gonna buy a couple... :D )

Comments

• Options
    GemstrikeGemstrike Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

I'm out. The kids around my house will punch them out and spend them!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2019 3:03PM

Well... the Sac is supposed to be a proof. ;)

There are more than a couple young ones in the extended family that will enjoy the glow-in-the-dark aspect of the rocketship (minus coins because they are too young) the problem is which two?

I will need to ship directly to the parents to get around the HHL.... :|

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like something from the 50's. How can you not get two ? 20 bucks cheap enough

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Only if it can be slabbed.

• Options
    renman95renman95 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe if the Sac was RP. ;-)

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

I'm in for two.

But will you have them graded?!!! :)

• Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭

I will not be surprised to find out this product is a hit

Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am going to buy one for my grandbaby

• Options

@Onastone said:

I'm in for two.

But will you have them graded?!!! :)

Only if they slab the packaging. :D

One day, I'll have to pull out some of the weird stuff the Mint has done in the past.

Does anyone remember the Edison Commem with the working lightbulb which was really an LED? BWAhahahahaha...

• Options

@BackroadJunkie said:

One day, I'll have to pull out some of the weird stuff the Mint has done in the past.

Does anyone remember the Edison Commem with the working lightbulb which was really an LED? BWAhahahahaha...

Are you serious? Edison Commem with a light? What other goofy packaging has the mint done? Now I'm really curious...I thought the Rocketship was funny...and interesting how they made it interactive...You supply the quarter yourself!!!

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in !!! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options

@Onastone said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Are you serious? Edison Commem with a light? What other goofy packaging has the mint done? Now I'm really curious...I thought the Rocketship was funny...and interesting how they made it interactive...You supply the quarter yourself!!!

Yes, I thought that was really cool, did you remove the battery prior to storage?

• Options
    edited February 25, 2019 11:56AM

Get ready to rumble 3 more days and limits of 2! I will be maxing out my limit, My grandbaby is going to love this!
    Question is will it sell out in 4 minutes? :D

• Options

@ECHOES said:

@Onastone said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

Yes, I thought that was really cool, did you remove the battery prior to storage?

No I didn't, but I checked both my sets, and none of the batteries leaked. (Should have thought of it.)

I ordered some new batteries. We'll see if they work. Maybe I'll post something if they still work. (I forgot the on-off switch was a solar cell. I need to see if I can find my old comments on this forum about it.)

Other weird mint products? How about the Lewis and Clark commem that came with a leather pouch, put together by honest-to-god Native Americans. Well, that was the theory, anyway. (I think one group was declared a fraud...)

I still wish I bought some of those 50 state quarter souvenir spoons... :D

• Options
    edited February 25, 2019 1:00PM

@Gluggo said:
    Get ready to rumble 3 more days and limits of 2! I will be maxing out my limit, My grandbaby is going to love this!

Going to do the same. I do not think the rocketship will survive for more than 1-2 mins after the grandchild gets his hands in it... LOL. (I’ll have to remind the daughter to take the coins out).

• Options

@Hemispherical said:

@Gluggo said:

Going to do the same. I do not think the rocketship will survive for more than 1-2 mins after the grandchild gets his hands in it... LOL. (I’ll have to remind the daughter to take the coins out).

And this is why boxes for old toys are worth more than the toys... :D

I'm buyin' a set for me. I'm preparing for my 4th or 5th mid-life crisis.

• Options

Yeah, I'll buy the limit for my grandson. He already has a little collection of pocket change he calls his "treasure".

• Options

@Onastone said:
    Yeah, I'll buy the limit for my grandson. He already has a little collection of pocket change he calls his "treasure".

Very touching Ona!

• Options
    GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine if these are like the 2000 Cheerios Sacs with a different tail feather. Maybe an extra star in the field or the Kennedy has a different hairstyle or something else is different for the dies used for the kid version. That would really perk up interest.

• Options

To keep the retail price under $10 throw in one of those “premium” W cents but make it a proof obverse and reverse proof reverse.

• Options

The Mint will definitely need to up their programming skills (or pay more $$ for a good programmer) if they think kids will like this. Reminds me of 80’s coin-op video games. Which I will admit were pretty good at the time, but with the realism of the current crop of games the Mint can/should do better if they are trying to entice the young ones into coin collecting with video games.

Rocket Supply Ship

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/kids/games/space-supply

How far did YOU get? LOL :)

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

How will this get in kids hands and how many kids do they think they can impact if they limit it to only 50,000? We're all collectors and will probably squirrel one or two away ourselves. The mint should partner with Scholastic or similar organization so they can bring it to the kids who normally wouldn't purchase something like this.

• Options
    edited February 26, 2019 8:03AM

@chesterb said:
    How will this get in kids hands and how many kids do they think they can impact if they limit it to only 50,000? We're all collectors and will probably squirrel one or two away ourselves. The mint should partner with Scholastic or similar organization so they can bring it to the kids who normally wouldn't purchase something like this.

Agree. Scholastics has several/many products about money, coins, and collecting.

Found this article at Scholastics: http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=6247
    ——-
    Coins and Coin Collecting
    By V Clain-Stefanelli

Coin collecting—referred to as numismatics—is one of the oldest known hobbies. It is also a pleasant way to save money. The word "numismatics" comes from the Greek word nomisma and the Latin word numisma, meaning a coin. People who collect coins are called numismatists.

The designs on coins tell many stories. Some ancient coins tell us all we know about a country or a period of history. They bring us portraits of otherwise unknown rulers. Coins of past centuries tell us about the art, mythology, religion, and fashions of people who lived long ago.

A great variety of things were used as money before coins were invented.

Almost 3,000 years ago the Chinese had a form of money made from metal. But the first coin with a fixed value was not struck (made or minted) until the 7th century B.C. in Lydia (now Turkey). Ever since, coins have helped the world carry on its trade and commerce.

Starting a Collection

Your special interests will help you decide the kind of coin collection you would like to assemble. You may wish to collect the coins of one country or one part of the world. Or you may want your collection to contain coins from all over the world but limited to a certain period of time.

Some people choose to collect the coins of their own country, while others are interested in ancient Greek and Roman coins. Many ancient coins are quite easy to obtain. Small ancient bronze pieces in average condition can often be bought fairly cheaply. A collection of present-day coins from countries forming the United Nations is not costly and is worldwide in scope.

Caring for Your Collection

There are many ways to arrange coin collections. Some collectors keep their coins in small square envelopes. A complete description of the coins should be written on the outside of the envelopes. These envelopes are arranged in cardboard boxes. Envelopes and boxes may be bought at any coin store. You can also use transparent envelopes.

For a worthwhile collection, numismatists advise that you choose the coin in the best condition you can find. Experts classify the condition of coins according to the amount of wear they have received. Proof coins are struck especially for collectors and have a very shiny surface. Uncirculated coins were struck for general use but were never circulated. These are the most valuable coins to collect—and the hardest to obtain. Extremely fine, very fine, and fine coins have been in circulation and show varying degrees of wear. Very good and good coins are worn, but the details of the design can be seen clearly. And coins in fair condition show much wear but can still be identified.

[Never clean coins]
    Never clean a coin unless it is caked with dirt. Remove the dirt by washing the coin gently with soap and warm water. Do not use scouring powder, metal polish, or steel wool. This will damage both the looks and value of the coin.

Studying Your Hobby

To get the most enjoyment from your hobby of coin collecting, read as much as you can on the subject. Try to form a group of collector friends. Visit special exhibitions and have a reliable dealer through whom you can buy your coins. If you have an old or foreign coin, find out where and when it was made, its name and value, and what you could have bought with it when it was in use.

Many thousands of books and publications have been written about coins. Your public library probably has a number of them. Of interest to the collector of modern coins are: Handbook of United States Coins, R. S. Yeoman, Racine, Wisconsin (published annually); and Modern World Coins: An Illustrated Catalog with Valuations, R. S. Yeoman, Racine, Wisconsin.

Among the monthly magazines is The Numismatist, the official publication of the American Numismatic Association. Many notes of interest may also be found in weekly journals such as Coin World and Numismatic News.

For answers to your coin collecting problems, write the Division of Numismatics, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, D.C. 20560. The Smithsonian, however, will not advise on the money value of coins. Consult a coin dealer for this kind of information.

Collecting United States Coins

One way to start a coin collection is to select the best examples of coins now in use. You may be able to assemble an interesting series of United States coins with different dates and mintmarks. Special mint sets and proof sets of United States coins are sometimes available. For information, write to the Office of the Director of the Mint, U.S. Treasury Department, Washington, D.C. 20220.

The first coins of the United States were authorized by the Mint Act of April 2, 1792. By 1793 the Mint in Philadelphia was issuing gold, silver, and copper coins. The gold coins were eagles with the value of ten dollars. There were also half eagles and quarter eagles. The silver coins were dollars, half-dollars, dimes, and half dimes. The copper coins were cents and half cents.

Since then there have been many changes in coins and the laws governing coinage. Among the coins no longer made or issued are half dimes and half cents. The five-cent coin appeared in 1886. No silver dollars were coined from 1935, and none issued from 1964 until 1971, when the first silver-clad Eisenhower dollars were minted.

A coin's design may not be changed more than once in 25 years, except by an act of Congress. In 1965, Congress passed a law making the first major change in coinage in more than 100 years. Because of shortages, silver was left out of dimes and quarters. Silver in half-dollars was reduced in 1965 and stopped altogether after 1970.

The latest change came in 1999 when the first in a series of 50 new quarters commemorating each state was issued. Five quarters will be issued per year, until 2008, in the order the states joined the Union. Each quarter will have a unique design on the back.

For information on coin-collecting clubs, contact the American Numismatic Association, based in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

V. Clain-Stefanelli
    Curator, Division of Numismatics
    Smithsonian Institution

Edit to add: Never clean coins. Seek professional help.

• Options

Never clean a coin unless you use soap and warm water. EEEEEKS......shoulda just stopped at Never clean a coin period.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is interesting...."The Kennedy half dollars feature the original 1964 obverse (heads) design..."... I wonder if it will be the accented hair (AH) image?? That would be interesting... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Onastone said:
    Never clean a coin unless you use soap and warm water. EEEEEKS......shoulda just stopped at Never clean a coin period.

If you're pulling common coinage out of circulation, I doubt soap and water will be that evil.

I always tell people to use steel wool. Puts the shine right back on the coin.

(Boy, it's a good thing they took away that disagree button...)

• Options

When I was about 10 years old and collecting Mercury dimes, I found several really nice ones extra fine range even some that may have had full bands that were a bit dirty. I used baking soda and water. I look at them now in my old Whitman folder and just want to cry at my stupidity.

I also put some really nice Morgan dollars in a new bank savings account because I thought they would save them for me and get interest. But when I went to get them, all I got was a crappy pieces of paper from the Federal reserve.

Back then there was no one I knew to tell me not to do that.

• Options

Added comment to not clean coins to the quote from “V. Clain-Stefanelli, Curator, Division of Numismatics Smithsonian Institution.”

Thanks everyone for bringing this up.

• Options

What day is it? Hump day. One day for mini-rocket blast-off.

• Options

Rev up those browsers!

Lift-off at Noon, today! :wink:

• Options

I'm in for two! :#

• Options

OMG that’s today Zi will be ready!!!!!!! 8 AM Alaska time I 🤔

• Options

Domes, rocketships, cents, gold, and silver; and that is only thru March... my $$ gifts to the US Treasury. 😎

I know of at least two young ones that will enjoy the rocketships!

Wonder if I can expand the hole for the quarter and stick in an ASE... maybe AI would be better.

• Options
    edited February 28, 2019 10:01AM

BLAST OFF! MISSION CONTROL WE HAVE LIFT OFF! Hold on Izzy I got your coin rocket ship coming in a few minutes ready for take off! I wonder if they will remove the 2 limit minimum today or maybe I can fool them with my other credit cards? B)

Ohhhh Boy loading up the MInt web site now testing my credit card is up to date!!!!

Done 15 seconds!
    Order Placed: Feb 28, 2019
    Order Number: USM064885##

• Options

That was easy.

2 @ USM064884xx

• Options

That was easy! 2@ USM064886xx

• Options

USM064885xx for 2

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 10:03AM

064884xx.... B)...x 2

• Options

I tried! :(:(:(:(:( Sorry Izzy! :(:(:(:(:(

BAG SUMMARY
    $19.90

Rocketship 2019
    $9.95
    Item Number: 19XGC
    Rocketship 2019
    MULTI (D)(S)
    Household limit reached for this product

Add gift box/wrapping for $4.95.
    Qty:
    Remove
    $19.90

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got 2

Hopefully, there will be a special coin in there :D;)>:)

• Options

@Gluggo you've been red flagged!!! You might be able to buy one of these on the secondary market for $35.00

• Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got 2 as well :)

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 for the Great Grand kids....064887xx....no issues whatsoever

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

Thanks Ona it was for my Grandbaby :*:*:*o:)o:)o:)

• Options
    Raybob15239Raybob15239 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

I ordered 2 for my boys. I think they may like the space theme...

Successful B/S/T transactions: As Seller: PascoWA (June 2008); MsMorrisine (April 2009); ECHOES (July 2009) As Buyer: bfjohnson (July 2008); robkool (Dec 2010); itsnotjustme (Dec 2010) TwoSides2aCoin (Dec 2018) PrivateCoin Jan 2019
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered 2 as well.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

Ordered 2 a few moments ago, #64907xx. Anyone keeping score? :)

• Options
    edited February 28, 2019 11:46AM

Edited to say Quick estimate so far 1-1/2 hours around 2,300 orders, some for other items probably and assume most got 2, but some got one, I would say 4,000 sold. Possibly only the people on this forum know about them.....

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:
    Edited to say Quick estimate so far 1-1/2 hours around 2,300 orders, some for other items probably and assume most got 2, but some got one, I would say 4,000 sold. Possibly only the people on this forum know about them.....

True, I had no idea till I saw this thread today. Cool item for 10 bucks, though.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file