Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 Rocketship! (19XGC) (Sold Out..,.)

Comments

• cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Watch, These little things will go sky high and all of the other expensive items they have been selling will go down...

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

HHL removed tomorrow so buy as many as you want for the kids then.

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:
    Got 2

Hopefully, there will be a special coin in there :D;)>:)

Yeah.

From what the Mint said:

The Kennedy half dollars feature the original 1964 obverse (heads) design with the image of President John F. Kennedy.

ricko made mention of it.

@ricko said:
    This is interesting...."The Kennedy half dollars feature the original 1964 obverse (heads) design..."... I wonder if it will be the accented hair (AH) image?? That would be interesting... Cheers, RickO

They could be using the 2014 50th Anniversary high(er) relief design.

It wouldn't be the first time the Mint put a stealth variation into a set. (The Enhanced Sacs in the C&Cu sets and the RP Prezibucks in the C&Ch sets come to mind.)

That could make this set way more interesting if these 50K 2019 Kennedy's are unique... :D

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tomorrow limit will be lifted

• AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

BA--BAM! (4)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

USM064916XX for two... :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judging by the order #'s .. there will be a ton still available tomorrow.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."

I will be surprised if even 20,000 are sold. Just not that much interest and most people with younger kids don't have $10 plus $4.95 shipping to get $1.50?

I suspect most the people buying these are giving them to their grand-kids and can afford to spoil them..

Yes a bunch more may sell tomorrow with no limit, but flippers on eBay already asking "moon" money will probably only find a few unfortunate buyers who just don't know how to type usmint.gov.

• planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2019 8:31PM

I dunno, I think even fortysomething collectors — Kennedy collectors, mind you — might smile at the idea of putting a couple of these away with their other numismatic odds and ends. ;)

Yes, many will keep one for a night light, and give one to their grandkid...I am guilty as charged.

If there is an actual error found all remaining sets will vanish in minutes.

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

Just curious... Where are ya'll seeing the household limit will be lifted tomorrow?

• ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@smokincoin said:
    Just curious... Where are ya'll seeing the household limit will be lifted tomorrow?

And the time?

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Will they release the HHL tomorrow????

• CoinPhysicistCoinPhysicist Posts: 598 ✭✭✭✭

Is it bad that I want one of these to put on my desk...

Successful transactions with: wondercoin, Tetromibi, PerryHall, PlatinumDuck, JohnMaben/Pegasus Coin & Jewelry, CoinFlip, and coinlieutenant.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't they lifted HHL historically on products the next day? More than likely they will. And did anyone here buy just one? Looks like everybody I know bought the limit of two. Maybe the Kennedy will be really unique, doesn't it glow in the dark? :)

@CoinPhysicist said:
    Is it bad that I want one of these to put on my desk...

No Would make for an interesting conversation piece.

So the Kennedy will use the 1964 portrait design. This was also used in the 2014 50th Anniv Kennedy 2-coin sets (K-14). Evidently this "special" strike didn't receive much attention as those ($9.95 if I recall correctly) sets are selling under $20 now. Does anyone know what the difference actually is? If it was obviously different, I would think they would command a decent premium. If it is a very subtle difference, then why bother?

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS

Akbeeze I have a little 5 year old Grandbaby Izzy I bet she would have an opinion on why bother. :D
    Don’t worry I won’t hell her or ask her but she is ruthless even though she is in Arizona with mama. But she will be here in July when it’s warmer.

HA - Izzy won't know you switched her Kennedy out with your pocket change! I wonder how many sets will retain the original Sac and Kennedy once gifted??? ;)

edited March 1, 2019 12:13AM

@Akbeez said:
    So the Kennedy will use the 1964 portrait design. This was also used in the 2014 50th Anniv Kennedy 2-coin sets (K-14). Evidently this "special" strike didn't receive much attention as those ($9.95 if I recall correctly) sets are selling under $20 now. Does anyone know what the difference actually is? If it was obviously different, I would think they would command a decent premium. If it is a very subtle difference, then why bother?

No, I'm speculating that they're using the high(er) relief designs. Would be interesting if they did.

And it's really not a subtle difference. Take a look at the 2014 50th clad coins.

From thesprucecrafts:
    The special 50th Anniversary Kennedy Half-Dollar Uncirculated Coin Set was created by the U.S. Mint to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the minting of the first Kennedy half-dollar in 1964. What makes the coins in this set different than the regular circulation strike 2014 Kennedy half dollars is that the dies used to create these coins were created from the original sculptures crafted by Gilroy Roberts in 1963. Over the last fifty years the relief of the coin has been lowered and has a more flattened appearance. The coins in this set are of a high relief that Roberts originally intended.

Edit to add: They sold something like 140K of the 50th clad set, which is why they're at bottom basement prices...

@smokincoin said:

The Mint typically lifts HHL's after 24 hours.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2019 1:07AM

Coin Facts Images

1964 MS Silver

1964 PR Silver High Relief

2014 MS Clad Anniversary

2018 MS Clad

@Hemispherical said:
    Coin Facts Images

(deleted images)

Thanks. I did try enlarging and enhancing the photos of the Rocketship, but they're just too small to see if they're the high(er) relief coin...

It sure looks like the cheek relief and the hair might be there, but the Mint supplied images are just too low-rez and the angle of the lighting doesn't help...

Do not know if this is the Kennedy, but an “interesting” vid, skip to about 1:15 for Kennedy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu2TZnUzUco

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2019 2:26AM

I’m guessing it’ll be the same Kennedy that will be included in the 2019 uncirculated mint sets.

I don’t expect something different or special.

• smokincoinsmokincoin Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:

@smokincoin said:

The Mint typically lifts HHL's after 24 hours.

Yes, I know. It's typically stated in the beginning though.

edited March 1, 2019 5:54AM

It already is available at the Mint with no limit. Just go to the Mint site and you will see it is already showning household linit NONE and bag is ready for purchase.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/rocketship-2019-19XGC.html?cgid=coins-for-kids

• spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭

Not when I just went to the mint website. I tried to put 5 in my bag. It says you're only allowed to order 2.

@Goldminers said:
    It already is available at the Mint with no limit. Just go to the Mint site and you will see it is already showning household linit NONE and bag is ready for purchase.

https://catalog.usmint.gov/rocketship-2019-19XGC.html?cgid=coins-for-kids

Really? U must have special access to the Mint Site that most of us are not privy to.

Item Number: 19XGC
    Mintage Limit: None
    Product Limit: 50,000
    Household Order Limit: 2

edited March 1, 2019 7:11AM

Sorry I saw this in a dream before morning coffee. Try again 2 hours and 50 minutes from now. I can see the future.

• cruisersk1cruisersk1 Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

Maybe the Kennedy is also going to be a special rare coin from the mint too but they aren’t saying anything so people will still give these to kids. Keep all of us old folks from hoarding them.

We will be forced to buy these back from our children for $100 each.

edited March 1, 2019 9:06AM

With a PL of 50,000 and price of $9.95, this would be a drop in the bucket for the big boys/girls to buy out if HHL is lifted.

May get a few more to give as last minute gifts. Write “Congratulations” or “Happy Birthday” across it or just stick it in
    an envelope with said cards and it will be comparable to less expensive than the other Mint products for those purposes.

Edit: Typos... need more caffeine.

I sure hope these don't just get flipped by big dealers as it ruins the entire concept of getting them to young kids at a fair price. Maybe the Mint should have just increased the limit to 5-10 or something, but in an hour it is unlimited. Only takes one order of about $400,000 to buy all that are left and corner the market. :(

I'm at Baltimore show now. Mint is here. I talked to mint counter salesman. He says this 50 cent piece will not be available in other sets this year. No limit here.

I just talked to NGC about the uniqueness of this 50 cent piece. They say it will not be unique to this set.

• chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 1, 2019 9:47AM

@spotthedog said:
    I just talked to NGC about the uniqueness of this 50 cent piece. They say it will not be unique to this set.

So what does that mean? That seems to be a contradiction to what the Mint person said.

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spotthedog please clarify...your two statements contradict

Two different sources take your pick.

I have a bad feeling this will now sell out, or go backorder in a minute...too many presales out there already.

HHL's lifted. Ordered another. :D

My order from yesterday shipped!

HHL lifted. Go get ‘em.

bought a few...

edited March 1, 2019 10:09AM

hope they sell out soon...

edited March 1, 2019 10:13AM

@Goldminers said:
    I have a bad feeling this will now sell out, or go backorder in a minute...too many presales out there already.

Not the case....Obviously the "masses" do not know of it's existence. B)

@jclovescoins said:
    hope they sell out soon...

Saw that before the edit. shhh!

Eli. The mint rep.

Think it is a neat product that wont be offered again. Plus the proof $1 will sell for $7 alone

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file