Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Welcome to December...what will you remember? What acquisitions ya got?

MLBdaysMLBdays Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kicked off the month with a raw '18 Topps Heritage Red Ink of the Gleyber Torres variety.....looking for a high average with some power and reliable fielding at 2nd base and perhaps some shortstop this coming year with Didi on the shelf to begin things...Gleyber will be 22 years of age on Dec. 13th. I'll send this one in for grading when it arrives this week. Be good to yourself this Christmas.

Comments

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djr said:
    Very happy to add #160 matching twin that pairs so nicely! Next Gehrigs on deck, 33 Delong and 34 Goudey

You can never go wrong with a Goudey Gehrig. Congrats.

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭

Good luck

As a Yankee collector I would be glad to own that Joe D

Nice lou's for sure

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    While I know it to be authentic, I am hopeful that there’s enough there to get a numeric grade. I know that it is going to be pretty close and I hope to have a verdict in sometime this week. Though I really and truly don’t care either way as long as it comes home safely in a PSA slab. Not with this one - at all!

1933-36 ZeeNut PCL Joe DeMaggio (DiMaggio Batting)

Wish me luck.

Great pickup for sure and good luck with it. Where did you get it? Ebay?

• 1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2018 6:28PM

@JBrules

Yes - it was up there a few days (I search Yankee greats often). I tossed in a reasonable offer and the guy worked with me and we reached a fair deal.

I think it’s really beautiful and I consider myself terribly lucky. There aren’t many graded copies in the SGC and PSA pop reports so I knew this was my best shot.

I’m not across the finish line yet, either. I’ll be happy when it’s home and in hand with the classic Red Flip.

Funny, I can’t remember submitting any cards where I went in saying,

‘Dear God, I hope I get a 1.’

I’m living there at the moment. Happily.

Thanks for the kind words.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

edited December 1, 2018 7:30PM

@jay0791 said:
    Good luck

As a Yankee collector I would be glad to own that Joe D

Nice lou's for sure

Thanks, Jay. I am a big Yankee fan and collector and I always feel that present day, Joe sort of doesn’t get the credit for who he was to the game of baseball. People don’t always realize that while Babe Ruth was the legend who built the game, Joe DiMaggio was its first true superstar - class, winning, dominance, grace, Life magazine, the Streak, Marilyn Monroe and Mr. Coffee - and America consumed all things DiMaggio for most of his life.

While the differences between the facade he created for the public and his private persona were quite stark depending on what you have read, heard and believe, Joltin’ Joe was such a massive part of baseball history that his days in the sun of centerfield give him a better case as the seconded greatest Yankee than he’s usually given credit for.

And that includes by yours truly.

Plus, 56 may live forever...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

I don't own a Joe D card as he is generally to costly for me.

I rank Babe 1st, then lou 2nd. Either Mantle of Joe could be 3 / 4 but we are talking in the top 10 of all players so who cares. Certainly Joe D held himself to a very high level of excellence

did u say life magazine

and will a few other guys you might know

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    @jay0791 ~Its odd how Mr. Coffee is so overlooked in the midst of so much Yankee greatness......

I guess part of that is a relative dearth of card sets issued during his playing career....

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very Yankee-centric thread so far. I dig the consecutive serial number Gehrigs! That PSA 8 Clemente is a blazer too.

Daniel
  • stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since we kind of have a Yankees theme.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joe D was a great player but numbers wise he is far behind Ruth and Gehrig. He was impossible to strike out, and like Ted Williams he missed 3 prime years due to serving in the military for WW2 - they don’t make them like they used to and he should be revered for his service to our country along with many others. Having said that Teddy Ballgame put up crazy numbers, and besides his WW2 service he also missed several other seasons due to Korea and injury. His career numbers would have been insane, and would have hit 700 Hr’s and owned the all time RBI mark by a large margin. Not to mention his walks each season cost him a ton of hits, RBI, and Hr’s. Check his numbers some time and also Ruth and Gehrig’s by season - truly amazing.

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    I don't own a Joe D card as he is generally to costly for me.

I rank Babe 1st, then lou 2nd. Either Mantle of Joe could be 3 / 4 but we are talking in the top 10 of all players so who cares. Certainly Joe D held himself to a very high level of excellence

did u say life magazine

That’s a cool item. Makes me want to find some nice Hockey mags with Perreault on the front and get them signed.

This is my addition of the week. 2015 Game Used, Rookie Year, Autographed Jack Eichel stick.

Kevin

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@LOTSOS Sick Eichel stick!!! what a pickup. Just snagged a Dahlin YG and Mittelstadt YG canvas.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

Saw this VC and just had to have it. What a career for Vince, going strong since 1998.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭

I hardly see these cards come up individually, so when the lot of 7 from 1997/98-2003/04 popped up in one shot there was no chance I was letting this get away. Ended up paying much less than I anticipated too:

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

I love those Roy cards.
    Nice PU on the Eichel stick

I can't remember when there has been so many great young players in the NHL.
    Maybe going back to 1990

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    edited December 3, 2018 7:32AM

Apologies for hijacking this thread a bit. Maybe we can continue the Joe D discussion here, if interested?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009893/ruth-gehrig-mantle-dimaggio-what-order/p1?new=1

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

I picked up a couple of cards from 1954. I really like these over sized cards.

• Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rmh111985 said:
    I hardly see these cards come up individually, so when the lot of 7 from 1997/98-2003/04 popped up in one shot there was no chance I was letting this get away. Ended up paying much less than I anticipated too:

I'm not a hockey collector or really fan for that matter, but I really enjoy seeing your Roy pickups. You've got a great player collection!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach

I added a couple more Gary Carter autographs to my collection recently

This one is cool because not only is it endorsed by Carter but it's signed by Bart Giamatti

• deciquiodeciquio Posts: 44
    edited December 3, 2018 11:06AM

2000 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity LaDainian Tomlinson limited to 30....Population 1 at BGS 9.5

2000 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity LaDainian Tomlinson limited to 30....Population 1 at BGS 9.5

• stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Admril.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

@UFFDAH said:
    A purchase from earlier this year. A major pick up for my collection and have been on the hunt for the right one for a few years now.

The hobby iconic 1966 Bobby Orr Rookie!! Very well centered, and an all around sharp looking card. A major card off the wish list.

WOW!!!! That is an amazing Orr! Near perfect centering and..... WOW. That is exactly the way I'd want an Orr to look. Except I'd have to accept a lot more white on the corners for it to fit my budget. Congrats.

Kevin

@UFFDAH said:
    A purchase from earlier this year. A major pick up for my collection and have been on the hunt for the right one for a few years now.

The hobby iconic 1966 Bobby Orr Rookie!! Very well centered, and an all around sharp looking card. A major card off the wish list.

That is an amazing addition. Brutal card to get in high grade and this one looks great. Probably the best looking Orr rookie I have laid eyes on. Congrats.

• UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lotsos @JBrules Thanks!! It means a lot coming from you guys. I would be curious to know from either of you or anyone else if you think this card has a chance at a bump to an 8? I need to spend some time searching Orr 8's to see what they look like to get a better feel and have not done so yet. It really is a nice card with a lot of eye appeal. The bump game is a hard one to come out on top for sure.

• TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2018 3:07PM

@UFFDAH said:
    @Lotsos @JBrules Thanks!! It means a lot coming from you guys. I would be curious to know from either of you or anyone else if you think this card has a chance at a bump to an 8? I need to spend some time searching Orr 8's to see what they look like to get a better feel and have not done so yet. It really is a nice card with a lot of eye appeal. The bump game is a hard one to come out on top for sure.

There is a PSA 8 on Ebay right now through PWCC. I'll post mine if you want to compare.

@Tomi You got a BEAST of a card!! AWESOME!! High Five!!

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2018 4:15PM

The registration is sharper on your 7.5 and the centering is better than the 8...the only flaws keeping it at the 7.5 level might be the top two corners as well as the chipping along a part of the top edge. Great eye appeal though...and if it were bumped I feel it would be worthy.

mint_only_pls
  • dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man you have a good eye, ridiculous pick up. I wish I had your budget!!

@UFFDAH said:

• KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

@UFFDAH said:

UFFDAH

That is an amazing card - great pickup!

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 3, 2018 10:02PM

was rummaging around a card/coin/odds and ends shop and picked up a few random cards and a gem tray.

1. 1970 topps Cito Gaston
    2. 1976 Topps Ken Griffey Sr
    3. Signed 1982 O-pee-chee Fergie Jenkins
    4. signed 1991 donruss Mookie Wilson
    5. 1989 Bowman Ken Griffey Jr
    6. 1987 Donruss Barry Bonds
    7. 1991 Upper Deck Baseball Michael Jordan

and this

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Awesome Clemente

@MLBdays said:
    I keep recycling cards I've had forever for cash but buying more cards.... & Thank God the best part is binging on more brown bordered Renoir's from '62

Wow!!! You don't see a 62 PSA 9 Clemente every day. Congrats on a monster pickup.

This looks like garbage compared to the Clemente and Orr above, but what the hell. Another Roy for the collection:
    Congrats on those two beauties, and all other pickups this month.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

@Kid4hof03 said:

@rmh111985 said:

I'm not a hockey collector or really fan for that matter, but I really enjoy seeing your Roy pickups. You've got a great player collection!

Thanks, the hardest thing to do was focus my collection on one player, but it's been by far the most rewarding collecting experience I've had in a long time.

And just added the die-cut version of the above Roy, another tough one off the list:

@rmh111985 said:

@Kid4hof03 said:

@rmh111985 said:

Thanks, the hardest thing to do was focus my collection on one player, but it's been by far the most rewarding collecting experience I've had in a long time.

I can understand that. I'm a player collector, only problem is that I have a few too many players I'm working on, it's coming time to narrow some things down.

I"m curious, do you use Beckett for your checklist? How far along are you, how many different Roy cards do you have and how many are actually out there?

I can understand that. I'm a player collector, only problem is that I have a few too many players I'm working on, it's coming time to narrow some things down.

I"m curious, do you use Beckett for your checklist? How far along are you, how many different Roy cards do you have and how many are actually out there?

I actually don't have much organization to the collection at the moment. I run through eBay every couple days to see what new has popped up, and use Beckett to gauge the scarcity of the cards based on their set/subset descriptions. I've been focusing on inserts and parallels, game used and autographed cards at the moment. I probably have close to 200 different Roy cards at this point, but there are tons more to get. I don't collect anything after he retired though, so anything past 2003 is of no interest to me.

• NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018 5:05AM

Last Studio card.....

@UFFDAH I find myself constantly coming back here to stare at your Orr. Here is the current PSA 8 up for auction with PWCC:

I would prefer your copy. Every day. And twice on Tuesdays.

One question. You said you acquired it earlier in the year. Did you get it in the newer flip or did you send it in for new plastic?

Kevin

Kevin

• yoda99yoda99 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018 7:04AM

I picked up this T205 card of Pat Moran. He played for the Cubs from 1906-1909. I think he was the backup catcher for Johnny Kling.

@LOTSOS Hey Kevin - glad you like the Orr as I know you are very astute with hockey!! I won the Orr earlier this year through PWCC. It was in the new holder. The Orr is so over the top tough to find centered and in higher grade condition as you know. It's one of those unforgiving cards where a 7.5/8 is much like having a 10 in another vintage card. When this one came up for auction I crossed all fingers and toes and was lucky to get it. A coveted card for sure of not only a GREAT Hockey player but the captivating design of the card makes it somewhat a mini work of art.