• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtu.be/tJjiIuH1VnY

Enjoyed this commercial!

Mike
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    For me, Belichick is the one cementing his legacy. He could have won this Super Bowl with a lot of guys playing quarterback -- Brady did not play very well against a so-so Rams defense. Goff and McVay looked completely overmatched by Belichick's schemes. No adjustments, just deer in the headlights.
    Makes me appreciate the Eagles last year who at least came out with a game plan of attacking and playing to win.

Basically completely agree with that.

To expound on it and taking nothing away from the Patriots win because a win is a win, and basically that's that, especially when it comes to the finality of the season with a Super Bowl championship.

Yes, Goff around the second quarter definitely had that deer in headlights look on his face and it continued the rest of the game. However I don't place the brunt of the blame on Goff for his continued miserable performance the rest of the game even though of course he was the one out there. I squarely place the major part of the blame on Sean McVay.

In football, it's a time honored scenario that if something is working, you keep doing it until the other team stops it. With McVay, he seemed intent to do just the opposite. He kept calling the same plays that weren't working, and I guess in his mind he figured he would keep doing it until it did work. That "strategy" got him 3 points for the entire game.

Does McVay understand what a West Coast offense is? His team is a West Coast team - LOL. Even though it was clear early that the Rams offense couldn't execute well against the Patriots, McVay continuously called traditional style football plays, which resulted in Goff holding on to the ball way too long, way too many times. The answer would have been a switch to the West Coast offense, of short, crisp passes, move the football, have Goff gain some confidence in himself, and perhaps that could set up a long pass sometime in the game if needed.

Yes, Goff was deer in headlights, but so was Sean McVay and the offensive scheme the entire game. I'm not saying the Patriots defense didn't play well. But frankly, McVay made it easy for them to play well. A bit surprising because McVay isn't a defensive head coach. His experience as coach comes from the offensive side of the football. McVay should have known better and made the proper offensive adjustments, especially at halftime. But for whatever reason he didn't.

McVay is still a very young head coach. He should and likely will learn from his huge coaching errors in this game. Some of the worst offensive coaching, if not the worst of all time in a Super Bowl in my opinion.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

To set the record straight, the Colts lost the deflated football game by such a wide margin it didn't matter. They would have lost that game if it were no issue. Give it a rest.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭✭

The Rams offense looked beatable almost the entire second half of the season. The only team that can change their offensive identity from week to week and even in game consistently has been the Pats. The Rams did what got them to the SB and lost because they were out-executed and out-coached. Losing Kupp during the season fundamentally changed the Rams. The 54 points against KC after he went out was against basically the worst defense in the NFL and their offense never looked as potent again.

I thought McDaniels coached a poor game for the Pats. The entire game had shades of both Giants losses in previous Super Bowls where they were letting an inferior team stick around because the offense couldn't get anything going. They finally found a scheme that let them get some mismatches in the fourth quarter and then their ground game put things away against a tired Rams D. The credit has to go to the Pats defense for the win.

For all the complaints about BB the GM, he fields a team that can win the Super Bowl every single season. I still am chuckling at the folks here that were posting that BB was sabotaging Brady this season because he was mad about how the Garoppolo situation went down. For those counting at home that is consecutive SBs since trading Garoppolo away for a ham sandwich. While all Pats fans are basically continually disappointed in the WR weapons he surrounds Brady with, BB knows that with the GOAT at QB he doesn't have to have spend extra $$s on WR to still win. It is frustrating as all get out when games are tight because only Edelman can create any separation from the DBs but the Pats still get it done season after season. Those dollars are spent shoring up the O-line, defense, special teams, etc. BB builds teams that can compete and that he can coach to victory.

Robb

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 6:57AM

@BillJones said:
    To set the record straight, the Colts lost the deflated football game by such a wide margin it didn't matter. They would have lost that game if it were no issue. Give it a rest.

Guess what, Bill. I religiously maintain the air pressure in my tires on my truck; 40 PSI. The other morning the temp dropped to 0°. I went out to warm my truck up here in Chelmsford and found the TPMS warning flashing. I switched the view to the tire pressure sensors and lo and behold, overnight my pressure went from 40 PSI to 33 PSI. Basic science. I guess if you don't live in a cold climate you don't understand the simple laws of physics. Or maybe they're just a bunch of whiners and sore losers. The latter, I think.

Cheers

Bob

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    https://youtu.be/tJjiIuH1VnY

Enjoyed this commercial!

Me, too! And the one where the lady had a screw in her head.

Congrats to all the Pats fans on yet another championship.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was glad to hear Edelman got the MVP instead of automatically giving it to Brady as I thought they would.
    Its amazing to see how wide open he gets on a lot of plays. Great game and year for Edelman.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

formal congrats to all Pats fans on the board. that was a virtuoso performance on defense, and suffice to say Belichick taught McVay a lesson or ten last night. knockouts are sexy, but there's something to be said for methodically cutting up and outpointing your opponent. all of those jabs in the middle rounds took a toll on the Rams, and by the 15th they were covering up instead of swinging.

perhaps this already happened up above, but if not, someone needs to mention Jason McCourty in this thread. dude deserves of a small chunk of Edelman's trophy, as far as i'm concerned. if he doesn't come across the field and break up that pass in the end zone, the outcome very well could have been different. play of the game, imo.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Congrats to the Pats fans. As a Dodger and Ram fan this has been a tough sports year with you guys! Congrats!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    formal congrats to all Pats fans on the board. that was a virtuoso performance on defense, and suffice to say Belichick taught McVay a lesson or ten last night. knockouts are sexy, but there's something to be said for methodically cutting up and outpointing your opponent. all of those jabs in the middle rounds took a toll on the Rams, and by the 15th they were covering up instead of swinging.

perhaps this already happened up above, but if not, someone needs to mention Jason McCourty in this thread. dude deserves of a small chunk of Edelman's trophy, as far as i'm concerned. if he doesn't come across the field and break up that pass in the end zone, the outcome very well could have been different. play of the game, imo.

That play by McCourty was HUGE!!!!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

Some wouid have you believe that Bill Belichick made that play

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@galaxy27 said:

Some wouid have you believe that Bill Belichick made that play

m

Bill willed Jason there...…..didn't you notice the jet like speed! ;)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all you guys who congratulated the Pats, it shows good sportsmanship because I know it’s tough for non Pats fans to see us win another one, sincerely I get the frustration but again thank you for being good sports guys 🍻. Looking back on my original post to kick this thread off I really meant everything I said in that post. It’s insane they did it again, I have been awful at times to Belichek especially blaming him for last year’s loss but I say he made up for it this year by outcoaching McVay. The Defense came up HUGE and ofcourse Edelman having a monster game, I’m so impressed with this team pulling it off and truly going through the best teams in the league this year- The Chiefs and Rams who all along I said were the best teams although at times I did say they exposed themselves as beatable. It’s been an unbelievable season and ring #6 is SWEET!!! 🍻

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:

@BillJones said:

Guess what, Bill. I religiously maintain the air pressure in my tires on my truck; 40 PSI. The other morning the temp dropped to 0°. I went out to warm my truck up here in Chelmsford and found the TPMS warning flashing. I switched the view to the tire pressure sensors and lo and behold, overnight my pressure went from 40 PSI to 33 PSI. Basic science. I guess if you don't live in a cold climate you don't understand the simple laws of physics. Or maybe they're just a bunch of whiners and sore losers. The latter, I think.

Cheers

Bob

The fancy word for that is Boyle’s law. If the temperature goes down, so does the air pressure. Since it gets tends to get cold in New England in January, the lower pressure in the footballs would be expected unless, of course, you heated them before they were used in the game.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@stevek said:

@breakdown said:
    For me, Belichick is the one cementing his legacy. He could have won this Super Bowl with a lot of guys playing quarterback -- Brady did not play very well against a so-so Rams defense. Goff and McVay looked completely overmatched by Belichick's schemes. No adjustments, just deer in the headlights.
    Makes me appreciate the Eagles last year who at least came out with a game plan of attacking and playing to win.

Basically completely agree with that.

To expound on it and taking nothing away from the Patriots win because a win is a win, and basically that's that, especially when it comes to the finality of the season with a Super Bowl championship.

Yes, Goff around the second quarter definitely had that deer in headlights look on his face and it continued the rest of the game. However I don't place the brunt of the blame on Goff for his continued miserable performance the rest of the game even though of course he was the one out there. I squarely place the major part of the blame on Sean McVay.

In football, it's a time honored scenario that if something is working, you keep doing it until the other team stops it. With McVay, he seemed intent to do just the opposite. He kept calling the same plays that weren't working, and I guess in his mind he figured he would keep doing it until it did work. That "strategy" got him 3 points for the entire game.

Does McVay understand what a West Coast offense is? His team is a West Coast team - LOL. Even though it was clear early that the Rams offense couldn't execute well against the Patriots, McVay continuously called traditional style football plays, which resulted in Goff holding on to the ball way too long, way too many times. The answer would have been a switch to the West Coast offense, of short, crisp passes, move the football, have Goff gain some confidence in himself, and perhaps that could set up a long pass sometime in the game if needed.

Yes, Goff was deer in headlights, but so was Sean McVay and the offensive scheme the entire game. I'm not saying the Patriots defense didn't play well. But frankly, McVay made it easy for them to play well. A bit surprising because McVay isn't a defensive head coach. His experience as coach comes from the offensive side of the football. McVay should have known better and made the proper offensive adjustments, especially at halftime. But for whatever reason he didn't.

McVay is still a very young head coach. He should and likely will learn from his huge coaching errors in this game. Some of the worst offensive coaching, if not the worst of all time in a Super Bowl in my opinion.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-mcvay-super-bowl-loss-definitely-got-outcoached-074536208.html

Sean McVay on Super Bowl loss: 'Definitely, I got outcoached'

Well, at least McVay admitted it, unlike most NFL head coaches out there who wouldn't.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 5:08PM

@perkdog said:
    Thanks to all you guys who congratulated the Pats, it shows good sportsmanship because I know it’s tough for non Pats fans to see us win another one, sincerely I get the frustration but again thank you for being good sports guys 🍻. Looking back on my original post to kick this thread off I really meant everything I said in that post. It’s insane they did it again, I have been awful at times to Belichek especially blaming him for last year’s loss but I say he made up for it this year by outcoaching McVay. The Defense came up HUGE and ofcourse Edelman having a monster game, I’m so impressed with this team pulling it off and truly going through the best teams in the league this year- The Chiefs and Rams who all along I said were the best teams although at times I did say they exposed themselves as beatable. It’s been an unbelievable season and ring #6 is SWEET!!! 🍻

For sure Paul - heck, it's a game.

I liked how Brady had his rings in the 100th commercial ("hold these..."). For me this commercial was the best of SB Sunday.

Mike
  • Options

Hi Mike! Yes that was awesome, I loved how they did that skit 😂😂😂

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

MJ

Brady has proven himself as the best long ago (including last year). No argument here. But as to that game, it was Belichick's turn to show his greatness. Hard for a play action offense to be effective when it's constantly third and long.

Brady has nothing to prove and hasn't for a long time (Exhibit A to me was the way he shredded the Legion of Boom in the Super Bowl). I just didn't think he played very well last night and the Patriots could have blown out a team that seemed ripe for a blowout.

All these owners wanted to hire the next Sean McVay. Maybe that makes some sense because no one is ever going to find the next Belichick. That guy comes along once.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4, 2019 7:50PM

@breakdown said:
    MJ

Brady has proven himself as the best long ago (including last year). No argument here. But as to that game, it was Belichick's turn to show his greatness. Hard for a play action offense to be effective when it's constantly third and long.

Brady has nothing to prove and hasn't for a long time (Exhibit A to me was the way he shredded the Legion of Boom in the Super Bowl). I just didn't think he played very well last night and the Patriots could have blown out a team that seemed ripe for a blowout.

All these owners wanted to hire the next Sean McVay. Maybe that makes some sense because no one is ever going to find the next Belichick. That guy comes along once.

Boom. Can’t debate that Jeff

Hang out here more. We are on a membership drive

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Brady is so far ahead of everybody else in the GOAT discussion that it is unreal! I can see him playing until 45.....if he wants to...….barring injury of course. When he is gone Pats fans will have to come down to earth though. :oB)

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:

Just an amazing job by the Eagles players and coaches. The Pats had really no answers for the Eagles offense all day. Just didn't see any answers from McVay the entire game to counteract what the Pats did. In the biggest game of the year, you just have to be better than that showing.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JRR300 said:

@breakdown said:

Just an amazing job by the Eagles players and coaches. The Pats had really no answers for the Eagles offense all day. Just didn't see any answers from McVay the entire game to counteract what the Pats did. In the biggest game of the year, you just have to be better than that showing.

Maybe the Pats new DC was just better than that happy potter dude we had last year. Oh well the new guy is off to Miami and the old one is stinking up the lions so next year they have to start over again

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Greg Schiano is getting named the Pats defensive coordinator in the next day or two.

• Options

when I said happy potter in the post above it was an error in my dimeman brand spellchecker app. I actually meant this guy

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    when I said happy potter in the post above it was an error in my dimeman brand spellchecker app. I actually meant this guy

Don't hate the Playa,Hate the game.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

I did a duck duck go search on Pat Matrica and that was the first pic

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

Isn't that a tv show?

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

@bronco2078 said:

Isn't that a tv show?

so far duck duck go is working better than google which i'm striving to cut from my existence. It would be tougher if it was up against the google of 5 years back when it was still functional though

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a great season. I enjoyed it a lot and it was made even better by the (surprisingly) good sports talk found on a coin forum.

• Options

Miami is about to release Danny Amendola. The only WRs that NE has signed for 2019 is Edelman and a couple practice squad guys,I'd love to see him come back for the vet minimum.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Miami is about to release Danny Amendola. The only WRs that NE has signed for 2019 is Edelman and a couple practice squad guys,I'd love to see him come back for the vet minimum.

he ran his mouth on the way out I'd be surprised

• Options
    edited February 9, 2019 2:31PM

Amendola was huge in the Atlanta Super Bowl, on that alone I’d like to see them bring him back regardless if he ran his mouth out the door or not. I wouldn’t be surprised if they make a low ball pitch for Golden Tate or Adam Humphries. Other than that I can’t even think of any other WR’s out there that I’d want on the team

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:

he ran his mouth on the way out I'd be surprised

If they think he can still play I doubt any of that would be an issue.

• Options

The NFL handed out their 2019 compensatory picks and the Pats did pretty well. Here's the complete comp pick list:
    2019 Compensatory Picks
    Round 3
    Redskins (No. 96 overall)
    Patriots (No. 97) for Nate Solder
    Rams (No. 98)
    Rams (No. 99)
    Panthers (No. 100)
    Patriots (No. 101) for Malcolm Butler
    Ravens (No. 102)

Round 4
    Colts (No. 135)
    Cowboys (No. 136)
    Falcons (No. 137)
    Eagles (No. 138)

Round 5
    Giants (No. 171)
    Falcons (No. 172)
    Redskins (No. 173)

Round 6
    Patriots (No. 205) for Danny Amendola
    Redskins (No. 206)
    Cardinals (No. 207)
    Eagles (No. 208)
    Vikings (No. 209)
    Bengals (No. 210)
    Bengals (No. 211)
    49ers (No. 212)
    Bengals (No. 213)
    Chiefs (No. 214)

Round 7
    Vikings (No. 247)
    Cardinals (No. 248)
    Cardinals (No. 249)
    Vikings (No. 250)
    Rams (No. 251)
    Patriots (No. 252) for Cam Fleming
    Redskins (No. 253)
    Cardinals (No. 254)

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    The NFL handed out their 2019 compensatory picks and the Pats did pretty well. Here's the complete comp pick list:
    2019 Compensatory Picks
    Round 3
    Rams (No. 98)
    Rams (No. 99)
    Panthers (No. 100)
    Ravens (No. 102)

Round 4
    Colts (No. 135)
    Cowboys (No. 136)
    Falcons (No. 137)
    Eagles (No. 138)

Round 5
    Giants (No. 171)
    Falcons (No. 172)
    Redskins (No. 173)

Round 6
    Redskins (No. 206)
    Cardinals (No. 207)
    Eagles (No. 208)
    Vikings (No. 209)
    Bengals (No. 210)
    Bengals (No. 211)
    49ers (No. 212)
    Bengals (No. 213)
    Chiefs (No. 214)

Round 7
    Vikings (No. 247)
    Cardinals (No. 248)
    Cardinals (No. 249)
    Vikings (No. 250)
    Rams (No. 251)
    Redskins (No. 253)
    Cardinals (No. 254)

pats will trade tom brady for the 252nd 253rd and 254th pics and hit up rutgers

• Options

I’m thinking at this point the draft is irrelevant anyways

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@erikthredd said:
    2019 Compensatory Picks
    Round 3
    Rams (No. 98)
    Rams (No. 99)
    Panthers (No. 100)
    Ravens (No. 102)

Round 4
    Colts (No. 135)
    Cowboys (No. 136)
    Falcons (No. 137)
    Eagles (No. 138)

Round 5
    Giants (No. 171)
    Falcons (No. 172)
    Redskins (No. 173)

Round 6
    Redskins (No. 206)
    Cardinals (No. 207)
    Eagles (No. 208)
    Vikings (No. 209)
    Bengals (No. 210)
    Bengals (No. 211)
    49ers (No. 212)
    Bengals (No. 213)
    Chiefs (No. 214)

Round 7
    Vikings (No. 247)
    Cardinals (No. 248)
    Cardinals (No. 249)
    Vikings (No. 250)
    Rams (No. 251)
    Redskins (No. 253)
    Cardinals (No. 254)

pats will trade tom brady for the 252nd 253rd and 254th pics and hit up rutgers

They won't have to once Greg Schiano officially signs with the Patriots. Between him & BB they'll just start collecting all of the Rutgers players already in the NFL.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

@hammer1 said:
    Brady doctoring footballs is the same as a coin dealer doctoring coins.

When you cheat in your profession you should be banned.

Those that dismiss the severity of cheating are unknowledgeable fans of the lowest ilk.

Other QB’s have indicated they work the balls a bit before games (adding a little air, taking some out, scuffing for a better grip). I think Brady has proven that it didn’t matter what the PSI in the ball was. Pine tar on bats, stickem for receivers/cornerbacks, PSI in basketballs, scuffing baseballs, etc. still occurs quite a bit in sports.

• Options

This whole football deflate thing is beyond STUPID! It is so NON-REVELANT yet some people just keep harping on it!

SO TOTALLY STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET IT GO.....YOU ARE ONLY SHOWING YOUR IGNORANCE!!!!

• Options

It will be interesting to see how all this affects the Patriots 2019 season performance. I would say for most teams it wouldn't be good. But with the Belichick-Brady combination, ya never know, it might even give them some sort of incentive to rise above it and win another championship.

My gut feeling though is that this incident cannot be helpful. Whether it turns out to be detrimental or not, we shall see.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    This whole football deflate thing is beyond STUPID! It is so NON-REVELANT yet some people just keep harping on it!

SO TOTALLY STUPID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LET IT GO.....YOU ARE ONLY SHOWING YOUR IGNORANCE!!!!

Don’t mind him Jon, he is delusional and stumbled over here from the coin forum, don’t take anything he says seriously

• Options

Sounds like Brian Flores & Miami are gonna go hard after Trey Flowers in free agency and there's likely more teams interested as well. If he does leave I hope NE at least gets a 3rd comp pick in replace for him.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Sounds like Brian Flores & Miami are gonna go hard after Trey Flowers in free agency and there's likely more teams interested as well. If he does leave I hope NE at least gets a 3rd comp pick in replace for him.

FA and salary caps really suck big time!

• Options

Kliff Kingsbury is telling people that Kyler Murray to the Cards is a "done deal." Josh Allen might actually be on the block if that happens.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Kliff Kingsbury is telling people that Kyler Murray to the Cards is a "done deal." Josh Allen might actually be on the block if that happens.

Kinsbury also said Rosen is “Their guy”. Hard to believe any of it really but I have read a lot about Rosen potentially coming to the Pats

• Options

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said:

Kinsbury also said Rosen is “Their guy”. Hard to believe any of it really but I have read a lot about Rosen potentially coming to the Pats

I guess he was saying that either today or yesterday at the combine but who knows.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The vibe I'm getting from the Pats is that they want to win now with Brady. I would be shocked if they waste draft capital like that

@perkdog said:

@erikthredd said: