Home U.S. Coin Forum

American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin (18EK) (Sold out...)

Comments

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@bigole said:
    Gluggo- I bought mine when it first went on sale and had agreed in advance to sell it to Wondercoin. Ordered in Florida, my CC. I kept my bargain with Mitch, we

History shud tell you that for the early getters there is virtually no risk to them.

In this case, for a quick flip. But you don't have to go far back for proof that isn't always true. There's a lot of 1100 EU sets for sale that's been there since the first release last year.

I was referring to those who solicit others to buy for them like MCM and since the person I quoted specifically mentioned Wondercoin I'll include him. Based on past past experiences IMO they incur little risk in paying a premium to get coins. The listing discussed on eBay here is a prime example. Of course not every mint isssue will be a hit.

As to someone purchasing an individual coin, if you opt to keep it or end up getting "stuck" with it there is always risk that it will be worth less than issue price. So buy it because you like it.

Frankly, I regret selling mine too soon.

theknowitalltroll;
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

Monster Coin Mart's piece is over $3k with a day to go: ebay.com/

Bin... $3400 - $3500

• RaufusRaufus Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

My sister's order from this morning, over 5 hours now, is alive and well.

If it gets cancelled I'll let u all know. Hopefully the cancellation which was reported was a very rare event.

Land of the Free because of the Brave!
  • SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 406 ✭✭✭

@Raufus said:
    If it gets cancelled I'll let u all know. Hopefully the cancellation which was reported was a very rare event.

Well it's looking that way. I gave it another shot this morning and it's looks like the household limit was reached even though they cancelled the first and only order. The only explanation I can think of is the CC's address wasn't the same as the shipping address which makes no sense since others here have said they've been doing the same and have had no issues. Not angry... it is what it is. BTW congrats for your sister!

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
    edited September 16, 2018 12:49PM

@SONOMOSCA said:

@Raufus said:

Well it's looking that way. I gave it another shot this morning and it's looks like the household limit was reached even though they cancelled the first and only order. The only explanation I can think of is the CC's address wasn't the same as the shipping address which makes no sense since others here have said they've been doing the same and have had no issues. Not angry... it is what it is. BTW congrats for your sister!

Hi,

I've very sorry to hear about your situation. That's extremely unfortunate about the HH limit being reached even though you didn't get a coin.

It may be worth you're calling a supervisor at the Mint's customer service center to at least restore your limit of one being that you didn't get a coin.

When you say that you tried this morning and it looks like the HH limit was reached, how so? Were you unable to add one to your cart or unable to check out? If you were able to add but not check out it's likely that this was a result of it's only being up for 1.5 minutes.

I added one to the cart in my own account on Friday just to have it there in the extremely unlikely event that the HH limit is lifted. It's still there despite that I ordered and received a coin when it was first offered for sale.

If you have one still in your cart, prior to 07:30 tomorrow have everything set to just hit the submit order button on multiple browser pages. As soon as it's 07:30 just try to finish the order on one page then the next if the prior page doesn't let you .Don't bother refreshing to check whether it's available or not - in doing so you'll waste time. If it's available you'll be able to complete the sale.

I've consistently noticed that it does not become available at 07:30 to the second (at least per my computer and phone) but about 5-10 seconds after 07:30.

As you note, it seems that many others have done what you did re: having a different billing and shipping address. I've never thought that this was a problem for the Mint.

Thanks for the congrats on my Sister's coin. I actually ordered it to be sure that nothing got messed up as has happened with other family members and friends. I logged into her account and placed the order.

I had the coin added to the cart and checked out w/in 30 seconds. I could have likely bought two had I had another account open. Once my sister's order was placed I moved to another window and hit refresh just to see how long that the coin remained available. As noted, it was about 1.5 minutes.

Good luck!

• SeatedTonersSeatedToners Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

My order from Saturday morning is still pending. I got the confirmation email yesterday and did not receive a cancellation notice. I'm hoping I receive a shipment confirmation tomorrow.

SONOMOSCA - I've ordered plenty of times from the mint and have a different shipping address than billing address. I always have everything I order delivered to work, since I'm always there to sign for it. But the billing address has to match the CC billing address from what I've been told. I've been ordering from the mint for over 10 years and have moved 5 times in that length of time to different states. I've never had a problem with them delivering to work, as long as the billing address matched the credit card address.

• SONOMOSCASONOMOSCA Posts: 406 ✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2018 2:54PM

@Raufus

@Raufus said:

When you say that you tried this morning and it looks like the HH limit was reached, how so? Were you unable to add one to your cart or unable to check out? If you were able to add but not check out it's likely that this was a result of it's only being up for 1.5 minutes.

I had one in the cart and when clicking the place order button it would not go through and at the top of the page it read Household Limit reached/has been reached in red. As far as calling the Mint, I've done that in the past regarding a shipping issue and let me tell you I would of had more success talking to a rock.

@SeatedToners - That has been my understanding as well. I have no explanation for the cancellation.

BST transactions - Wondercoin, SNMAN , Mb423, Timbuk3
  • KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am relieved. The week of missing in action had me checking twice a day on the Informed Delivery site.

I will be totally happy once the uniformed representative of a quasi government organization places the package in my hand at my door tomorrow.

@wondercoin said:
    Me, personally, I have won and lost buying coins early. The palladium coins were a winner obviously. The “small mountain” of 2016 proof platinum coins I bought were, and still are, a big loser. The gold Kennedy coins were a devastating loser to me and many others. The 2015 Proof Platinum were a big winner. The Enhanced sets from last year were a loser. I just bought a nice haul of them way back of mint issue price to try to “average down”. Even a coin like the Johnson Rev Proof Dollars was a loss (and still is) and a tie up of capital for years as I failed to grade a single PR70 from all my personal sets! Yet, Truman was a nice winner.

You just never know. One thing for sure.... bring plenty of working capital to the “poker table”.

Wondercoin.

what ever happened to that Indiana dealer who had the bus people buy hundred of the gold kennedys

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you add a coin to your cart if they are currently unavailable?

GrandAm :)
  • hutze1nmhutze1nm Posts: 235 ✭✭✭

My order from September 12 still hasn’t shipped even after confirmation email. Unless you’re special I doubt it will ship tomorrow.

@SeatedToners said:
    My order from Saturday morning is still pending. I got the confirmation email yesterday and did not receive a cancellation notice. I'm hoping I receive a shipment confirmation tomorrow.

SONOMOSCA - I've ordered plenty of times from the mint and have a different shipping address than billing address. I always have everything I order delivered to work, since I'm always there to sign for it. But the billing address has to match the CC billing address from what I've been told. I've been ordering from the mint for over 10 years and have moved 5 times in that length of time to different states. I've never had a problem with them delivering to work, as long as the billing address matched the credit card address.

Things I like to do: Collect PL Morgans. That’s is all.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

@botanist said:
    All the hoopla and hullaballoo over this new Pd proof coin definitely demonstrates that numismatics is alive and well in the U.S., despite what were described as disappointing and discouraging trends of recent years, a positive idea also supported by continuing excitement over this year's silver reverse proof set and its various permutations.

I disagree. Niche coin in a niche market. Widgets continue to languish.

I will again kindly instruct people to look at what happened to stamps. I would also point out that there are probably still just as many stamp collectors as coin collectors (APS and ANA memberships are similar) but stamp prices are in a death spiral....even among what used to be premium items (Zeps, Columbians).

APS lost 60% of it's members in 25 years. ANA lost 20% of it's members in the last 8 years. The very top end of the stamp market continues to set records. The very top end of the coin market continues to set records. But the middle and bottom of the stamp market continues to languish. The widget coin market continues to languish. The number of new commemorative stamps issued annually continued to increase globally. The number of commemorative and downright odd coins issued annually continues to increase.

Another thing that aided the decline in stamps was the attitude of collectors. Old-timers were constantly telling newbies they were collecting wrong, advising them against modern widgets, etc. You see the same thing on this board frequently enough. There's a virtual war against newbies posting crappy coins. Now, SOME of those newbies are probably trolls. But not all of them. Some people just don't know. That same kind of arrogance that helped drive young stamp collectors away. There is no wrong way to collect and we should encourage people to buy whatever they like, whether it is NCLT movie-themed coins from Pacific Islands or damaged cents from a hole in the ground.

I say this more as a warning against complacency than a dire prediction. Coins have one thing that stamps never had: registry sets as a blatant appeal to ego. But a shrinking collector base can easily drop the floor out from under those also. Circulated S-VDB cents are not scarce. Circulated 16-D dimes are not scarce. As soon as you have fewer people trying to fill holes in their sets than you have coins available...the death spiral begins

• Mitch this one is for you:

You've got to know when to hold 'em
    Know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away
    And know when to run
    You never count your money
    When you're sittin' at the table
    There'll be time enough for countin'
    When the dealin's done

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SONOMOSCA said:

@Raufus said:

it's looks like the household limit was reached even though they cancelled the first and only order.

Yes you need to talk to a supervisor who can restore your Right to buy at least 1 . It’s not fair but you have no choice but to get that GLITCH FIXED. Good luck.

@GRANDAM said:

During the very brief 07:30 windows of availability.

@Raufus said:

@GRANDAM said:

OK, I thought that you were saying you could have it in your cart before hand.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Raufus said:

@GRANDAM said:

I got the email around 9 am; why were those on the US Mint list able to get a second coin with all those who never got one?

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@Raufus said:

@GRANDAM said:

You might not have time to both add to your cart AND purchase if the window is short. You might have to add it one day, and buy it the next.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2018 5:54PM

@logger7 said:

@Raufus said:

@GRANDAM said:

I got the email around 9 am; why were those on the US Mint list able to get a second coin with all those who never got one?

Call the Mint and ask them there the only one who can answer that. I am only aware of 1 per household limit. Anybody else who claims to the contrary well I can't speak for them. But were on the internet and lots of fake news out in the Internet World.

@jwitten said:

@GRANDAM said:

@Raufus said:

@GRANDAM said:

You might not have time to both add to your cart AND purchase if the window is short. You might have to add it one day, and buy it the next.

Exactly :-)

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzf
    It’s very true. Many of you will find out - once they run their cross referencing. Not my first rodeo, the USM has done it before—you are probably a newbie to all of this.

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:

@Raufus said:

@GRANDAM said:

I have seen where I had an item in my cart but it was no longer available when I tried to finish the payment and then if I login the next day the item is still in my cart....can't buy it until it's back in stock...that's what I thought was meant by it was in my cart already....

Don't quote me on that.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@GRANDAM said:

Exactly. It's a two day process as the window of opportunity is tiny. Add items to your cart and then the next day you're ready to go...you can have everything clicked on except the final button, then click that when you see the availability. Speed shopping isn't easy, don't blink, hold your breath, and good luck!!!!!

@logger7 said:

@Raufus said:

@GRANDAM said:

The email usually comes after they've already sold out again. There were probably exactly ZERO available at 9 a.m.

edited September 16, 2018 7:00PM

@7over8 said:
    @jmlanzf
    It’s very true. Many of you will find out - once they run their cross referencing. Not my first rodeo, the USM has done it before—you are probably a newbie to all of this.

It is simply not true. My second coin is already in the mail. I've been doing it for at least 20 years. I usually use multiple credit cards, although I accidentally didn't this time.

Given the sheer number of people on this very thread who have done it just this month, I"m not sure how you can even pretend that it doesn't work.

I did the same thing last month with the reverse proof sets before they lifted the HHL.

Gee, I hope they don't catch on to me before I die of old age...

• 7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzf -
    Once they cross ref the same credit card number being used in two different accounts with two different ship to addresses; they will “link” the account history and you will lose the ability to game the HH limit system.
    This HAS happened —you may have games the system this time, butaybe not the next.

edited September 16, 2018 7:40PM

I don't think there is any way to add to your cart until the coin is available for sale.

OK, I read above about the 2 day process. Didn't know it would stay in your cart after you logged out.

Just noticed I broke 6,000 Posts :o

@7over8 said:
    @jmlanzf -
    Once they cross ref the same credit card number being used in two different accounts with two different ship to addresses; they will “link” the account history and you will lose the ability to game the HH limit system.
    This HAS happened —you may have games the system this time, butaybe not the next.

Been doing it since 1998. No fear, I have many email accounts and many credit cards.

And, of course. Dozens of people ship to the identical address without difficulty. So, it remains simply untrue that everything has to be unique.

It remains a mystery exactly how they determine unique household, but we are all doing it without difficulty.... and have been for YEARS

• CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

Monster coin marts just ended at 3,059

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Monster Coin Mart's piece in PCGS 70 plastic just closed on ebay. The result? $3,059. No snipes.

ebay.com/itm/2018-W-25-Palladium-Eagle-PCGS-PR70DCAM-FIRST-STRIKE

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2018 7:54PM

Yes it was unusual in that no one bid anything at the end. Wonder if they mis-timed the end of it doing it manually.

@Goldminers said:
    Yes it was unusual in that no one bid anything at the end. Wonder if they mis-timed the end of it doing it manually.

I've always wondered if there was a better time to have an auction end.....I'm sure there is data on it...

Don't quote me on that.

should have got more

@bestday said:
    should have got more

at least $5000

Don't quote me on that.

Auctions ending during major NFL games might not get as much attention as other times.

@dmwest said:

@Goldminers said:

I've always wondered if there was a better time to have an auction end.....I'm sure there is data on it...

Conventional wisdom is on Sunday night, 9:30 pm est, non major NFL or holiday night. Theory is most are home, not too late on the east and not too early on the West.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

“at least $5000”

DMWEST.. I have to disagree with you for this reason....

(3) or (4) sellers put them out around $3500 buy it now including MonsterCM at the lowest price (for the moment) of $3,475. That essentially creates a “cap” for the open bid auction. Also, there are “best offers” on some of those $3,500 offerings so buyers could expect to pay up to 10% less, or around $3,150. Justin got $3,059. Not fantastic, but certainly not a disaster either. You

As always, just my 2 cents. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Is this an one year only coin or beginning of a new series?

• Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes I think it will not go much higher now there will be many more coming and we will see a drop very soon. After two or three months from now we will be the real going price. I think $2500 to $2800 will be that going price time will tell.

Hoard the keys.
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2018 10:42PM

@VanHalen said:
    Monster Coin Mart's piece in PCGS 70 plastic just closed on ebay. The result? $3,059. No snipes.

If you are going to list another of the same coin for that price you could at least have a photo of the obverse of the coin you are selling instead of that stock photo.

theknowitalltroll;
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buyers can expect lovely quality Palladium coins for the 70 grade out of PCGS and sold by Monster CM. With a little luck from the grading Gods, they may sell 25-50 of the “70” grade coins on eBay. One stock photo is fine for all of those sales in my opinion. Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@VanHalen said:

If you are going to list another of the same coin for that price you could at least have a photo of the obverse of the coin you are selling instead of that stock photo.

Let's at least be fair on this....

I am going to go out on a limb and say that you, personally, are not in the market for one of these at this time and wouldn't be making the purchase from that auction anyway?

Also, I am sure that Mitch's son would likely happily give you a picture if you asked and if you were honestly interested in the auction (I shouldn't speak for Mitch, nor his son, so I may be corrected on that....I am just basing that comment off of my dealings with Mitch over the years and how his son likely works as well....)

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Looked to me like they didn't become available at all this morning. Did anyone see them available?

I think it is game over, or really close to it.

• TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 641 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looked to me like they didn't become available at all this morning. Did anyone see them available?

Yes, I saw them available for about 5 seconds.

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Type2 said:
    Yes I think it will not go much higher now there will be many more coming and we will see a drop very soon. After two or three months from now we will be the real going price. I think $2500 to $2800 will be that going price time will tell.

In the long run that price sounds reasonable. It is possible prices peaked last week but we'll see. Remember $3k is triple melt value and double issue price.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I go to buy my PCGS70 two things will be required. Number one I will require a photo of the actual coin and I will require an exchange policy. I want to approve the coin before I live with it.
    History from the mercury gold and the last year’s Palladium Eagle lead me to this policy.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two of my pending confirmed orders have now been canceled.. :'(

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear, J. I believe the 70’s will become more affordable.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file