Home U.S. Coin Forum

American Eagle 2018 One Ounce Palladium Proof Coin (18EK) (Sold out...)

Comments

• OptexOptex Posts: 23 ✭✭

@Onastone said:
    WELCOME TO YOUR DOOM, I mean, Welcome to the forum! Hang around here and you will learn more than you need to know, seriously. These are all good questions. Some folks like raw coins, not a bad choice at all if you plan on just keeping it. Some like them graded. Getting coins graded can be fun but expensive too. There is a grading fee, postage fee, insurance fee, and then the waiting game.....not every coin comes back with top marks. There are basically four grading companies, (ICG, ANACS, NGC, and PCGS) with the overwhelming favorite being PCGS...their standards are very high making them more desirable and profitable for resale. If you plan on keeping it, you could still get it graded unless you don't like your coins in slabs. I'll give you the answer I got when I recently asked the same question, "Go with your gut!"

Thanks for the welcome. I can see I have a lot to learn. I'll just continue to hang around with you guys and gals to learn more.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018 2:26PM

Current selling prices 9-13-18

Sold Ebay @ $2169.00

next one 33 minutes @ $2126.00 10 bids in eBay item number:283145530841

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BAJJERFAN said:

@dmwest said:

@Raufus said:
    It's amazing that they don't catch the same CC.

the rule is per household, not per billing CC. My understanding is as long as the coin goes to a different address then it is a legit order.

Then how could places like MCM use your info and my info and have both coins drop shipped to them? Remember when they were paying you and me to let them order for us?

I have done one buy for a dealer. If I remember right is was MCM. It was awhile ago.

You buy the coin from the Mint and have it shipped to you.
    You send it in it's sealed box to them. In my case, MCM. This could be with a pre-paid UPS/FedX label sent by the buyer. Or sent by you with postage refunded on top of your agreement to sell figure. There was a control number to match up with my commitment if I remember right.

This is how I remember it. It has to be similar today because the Mint would stumble with dozens of coins going to MCM.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

>

lol prf palladiums are $2050 until that price filled ,,,,,,,,,,, dealer friend sold more than 2 - 2018 s for just under $3,000

I should add that your somewhat illogical conclusion is that someone buying a $3000 coin at $2050 shows an increase in market price????

Graded ones are going for 3k, raw for 2k.

I know, bit that's not what bestday said. He never mentioned slabs

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    This beauty arrived today. Taken with an ipod touch.

Please say what type of lighting or a bit more info on your technique as those pictures are amazing.

• jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldminers said:

@jwitten said:
    This beauty arrived today. Taken with an ipod touch.

Please say what type of lighting or a bit more info on your technique as those pictures are amazing.

I just had a desk lamp with a normal old school bulb, and I positioned it at the top side of the coin. They turned out better than I was expecting, lol.

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am shooting to be the last one to get an original day order. Still not shipped.

@Bigbuck1975 said:
    I am shooting to be the last one to get an original day order. Still not shipped.

Wow. I have several orders in, and it seems to not follow any pattern on which are shipping first and which are delayed.

@Bigbuck1975 said:

Mine only shipped yesterday...and only after I contacted them to check

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

I have called them several times, done playing that game. It’s absolutely crazy that orders purchased later have shipped.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

So what did they say? What got them to finally ship for you?

@jwitten said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

So what did they say? What got them to finally ship for you?

I didn't say anything. Honestly, in my experience just calling and asking gets things moving. At the same time, I called on my other account about some Reverse Proof sets that hadn't shipped. They told me one was ready to ship. Within 3 hours, all 4 RP orders shipped.

Not the first time that's happened either. Every time there's a delay and I contact them, they ship in hours. Could be a coincidence or maybe they raise a flag and someone has to clear it.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bigbuck1975 said:

You could get it graded and get a coveted LAST STRIKE or LAST DAY label. Maybe a label that says LAST DELIVERED. :#

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

@dmwest said:

@Raufus said:
    It's amazing that they don't catch the same CC.

the rule is per household, not per billing CC. My understanding is as long as the coin goes to a different address then it is a legit order.

Then how could places like MCM use your info and my info and have both coins drop shipped to them? Remember when they were paying you and me to let them order for us?

I have done one buy for a dealer. If I remember right is was MCM. It was awhile ago.

You buy the coin from the Mint and have it shipped to you.
    You send it in it's sealed box to them. In my case, MCM. This could be with a pre-paid UPS/FedX label sent by the buyer. Or sent by you with postage refunded on top of your agreement to sell figure. There was a control number to match up with my commitment if I remember right.

This is how I remember it. It has to be similar today because the Mint would stumble with dozens of coins going to MCM.

There was a thing maybe 2 or 3 years ago [I did NOT partake] where you allowed them to order for you using info you supplied to them. I thought I'd seen it all but then I found that I hadn't seen it all. Others here may remember more.

theknowitalltroll;
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

EBay number:163256995273.

Justin put up a “live” coin in a true auction starting at .42 cents (no reserve) and closing in just three days (Sunday). We will all see what a PCGS 70 is worth “out of the box”.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

eBay item number:173519583487 sold today for $2151.00 > @Bigbuck1975 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Bigbuck1975 said:

I have called them several times, done playing that game. It’s absolutely crazy that orders purchased later have shipped.

I agree I would call them and demand to know why they have NOT shipped. Demand to speak to their Supervisor you paid good money for them. Heck you might even threaten them with a law suit if they don't ship. Someone might end up getting the " were sorry we sold them all! Were refunding your money sorry ! " Don't be the last one holding the bag!

edited September 13, 2018 9:28PM
    edited September 13, 2018 9:27PM

Gluggo.. monsterCM will sell that coin for whatever price it closes out without any games or “funny stuff”. Or, he’ll be answering to me!

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

@wondercoin said:
    Gluggo.. monsterCM will sell that coin for whatever price it closes out without any games or “funny stuff”. Or, he’ll be answering to me!

Wondercoin.

K I was just kidding sir! But thank you.

How was that graded so fast? The fastest service level has a turnaround of 6 days.

theknowitalltroll;
  • CoinCrazyPACoinCrazyPA Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭✭

I was high bidder for about 5 minutes

Positive BST transactions: agentjim007, cohodk, CharlieC, Chrischampeon, DRG, 3 x delistamps, djdilliodon, gmherps13, jmski52, Meltdown, Mesquite, 2 x nibanny, themaster, 2 x segoja, Timbuk3, ve3rules, jom, Blackhawk, hchcoin, Relaxn, pitboss, blu62vette, Jfoot13, Jinx86, jfoot13,Ronb

Successful Trades: Swampboy,
    edited September 13, 2018 10:07PM

@BAJJERFAN said:

How was that graded so fast? The fastest service level has a turnaround of 6 days.

When you're a BIG CORPORATION with MONEY you get SPECIAL PRIVLEDGES!

I am going to guess its going to sell for $4,500.00

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 9:52AM

:#

@CoinCrazyPA said:
    I was high bidder for about 5 minutes

edited September 13, 2018 11:00PM

Gluggo. It is doubtful the coin will even reach the very high $3,000s as MonsterCM has a BIN price of less than $3,750 (with a best offer) in another eBay offering (as your indicated).

Wondercoin

edited September 13, 2018 11:09PM

“How was that graded so fast? The fastest service level has a turnaround of 6 days.”

Actually, I believe the fastest service level has a turnaround of 1 day.

Great to see PCGS getting the precious metal coins completed in 2-3 days. It shows the operation is being run now like a Krispy Kreme Glazed donut conveyor belt! ;)

Wondercoin

@BAJJERFAN said:

You can walk through

@Gluggo said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Anybody can get walk through service if you want to pay the premium. It is only a Matter of hours at a show.

Reading is fundamental

edited September 14, 2018 4:52AM

According to this link, 175 2018-W Palladiums have been graded PR70 as of today.

http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/682418

Edited to add for reference, the 2017-W Palladium has 3,621 graded MS70 after a year.

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

@BAJJERFAN said:

Anybody can get walk through service if you want to pay the premium. It is only a Matter of hours at a show.

Reading is fundamental

Was it possible to get them in time to walk them through at LB or do they have other public days besides Friday?

theknowitalltroll;
    edited September 14, 2018 7:20AM

Looks like the first batch of the Big Boys Corporation coins got graded and they did good. 182 coins graded only 7 rejects @ 69 the rest are 70's. 175 graded 70's thats a nice percentage. Edited: More politically correct.

Hopefully your coins your submitting will do as well. We shall see. A picture is worth a thousand words.

@Gluggo said:
    Looks like the first batch of the Big Boys Corporation coins got graded and they did good. 182 coins graded only 7 rejects @ 69 the rest are 70's. 175 graded 70's thats a nice percentage. Shows what happens when your a Big Corporation.

Gluggo,
    Please remember the company that sent in the 100 Mercanti's #683106 that 100% were all graded 70, probably sent in (and paid for) around 200-300 coins to be graded and specified only slab and document them if PR70. The other 100-200 got returned and will be sold in OGM packaging because PR69's have little demand.

• FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 7:22AM

What is the First Coin Sold Category? I remember the Gold Kennedy ANA First Coin Sold got big Press when it sold at $100 000 but whats the story on these Pd Eagles ?

edited September 14, 2018 7:31AM

@Goldminers said:

@Gluggo said:
    Looks like the first batch of the Big Boys Corporation coins got graded and they did good. 182 coins graded only 7 rejects @ 69 the rest are 70's. 175 graded 70's thats a nice percentage. Shows what happens when your a Big Corporation.

Gluggo,
    Please remember the company that sent in the 100 Mercanti's #683106 that 100% were all graded 70, probably sent in (and paid for) around 200-300 coins to be graded and specified only slab and document them if PR70. The other 100-200 got returned and will be sold in OGM packaging because PR69's have little demand.

Gold miner I don’t speculate show me the paperwork. If your defending them makes me wonder who you are. Talk is C##ap. After all I might want to buy one of them OGM coins at $2000.00 only to find out their 69 garbage! I am sure they would have noted failed grading to 70's or buy at your own risk.

• davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 8:14AM

Small flaw on the one I received. Just called the mint and they are sending me a label to return it and when they receive it they will send a replacement.

The flaw is a small speck about the size of a period (above the T in In God We Trust) that doesn't appear to be dust under high magnification. It looks like it may be a piece of debris that was actually struck onto the surface, or a small planchet flaw.

So it sounds like they held some back for issues like this. Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there a risk that they will get my returned coin, find that they're out of stock, and just issue me a refund even though I'd rather keep the flawed coin instead of getting a refund?

I was adamant that I'd rather keep the coin with the flaw than get a refund if they don't have a replacement to send out, and the customer service rep was certain that this would not be an issue.

Best pics that I could get:

60x magnification

120x magnification

A little more clear with some minor photo editing

Less magnification, better optics, can see the gold color better

The photo doesn't look exactly like what I see with my eye. With my eye the particle appears to be metallic and gold in color.

davidK first of all very sorry that happened to you. I have not had that happened but I am sure the Mint will do right. Good catch and let us know the outcome. You might want to call them a few more times just to remind them who you are. Like when you return the item give them a call. Take names and write them down. Most of the Mint employees on the phone are sharp people. I have had only one (male) who I knew was out in left field. The only order that they claimed they refunded and the funds never made it to my credit card account. I ended up forgetting about it due to the hassle they wanted for me to prove I never received the fund in my account. It was less than $25.00 But I will always be more alert next time when they owe me money.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally agree with @jwitten .

Live with the microscopic flaw or risk having nothing! I cannot imagine them replacing it for you

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

edited September 14, 2018 8:06AM

davidk if they say to keep it I would listen. I really have NO idea about the outcome of something like this. You might want to let them know that even if you return it you want a guarantee or you WANT THAT COIN BACK. You can monitor the shipment and make the instructions very clear in the paperwork about wanting THAT COIN BACK IF THEY CANNOT REPLACE. Once they get it I would even call them to make sure they know where your coin is and see if that Mint employee can walk the order back or if its impossible. I have NO idea on the operation of the mint.

edited September 14, 2018 8:55AM

@Gluggo said:

@Goldminers said:

@Gluggo said:

Gluggo,

Gold miner I don’t speculate show me the paperwork. If your defending them makes me wonder who you are. Talk is C##ap. After all I might want to buy one of them OGM coins at $2000.00 only to find out their 69 garbage! I am sure they would have noted failed grading to 70's or buy at your own risk.

Although I don't appreciate your attitude when I am just trying to help you understand, this is direct from PCGS grading back of the official form that states:

Min. Grade: Indicate the lowest acceptable grade. For coins currently encapsulated by a third-party grading service other than PCGS, provide your minimum acceptable grade. You cannot indicate a minimum grade higher than the grade currently on the label. _For raw (non-graded and encapsulated) coins 1965 to date, you may indicate (but are not required to) a minimum grade.
    _NOTE: Minimum grades are not accepted on Regrade or Reconsideration Service Types or coins dated prior to 1965.
    _For Raw Coins: Use this column only if you do not want your coin encapsulated unless it meets this minimum grade or higher. You will be charged the full grading fee even if your coin does not meet the minimum grade specified and is not encapsulated.
    _

Here is the link. Carefully read #9 part L

https://www.pcgs.com/submissionguide

As far as assuming they would have to say it failed grading to 70's. No reason or requirement to have to do that. They would be selling you a coin just like it came from the Mint in OGP and that would be true. Buyer beware does not have to be stated, it is obvious.

edited September 14, 2018 4:52PM

bolder dash!

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't return it! Sell it! I am sure you will get more than the US MInt will refund you.....

• dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone pick one up this morning? Just curious.

Don't quote me on that.

• davidkdavidk Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018 8:34AM

@thebigeng said:
    Don't return it! Sell it! I am sure you will get more than the US MInt will refund you.....

I specifically didn’t ask for a refund. I asked for a replacement. After receiving the coin I decided that I had no interest in selling.

After discovering the flaw I'm thinking that there is no way it would grade 70 even though I'm not committed to having it graded. Anyone have experience in this area?

@BAJJERFAN said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Gluggo said:

Reading is fundamental

Was it possible to get them in time to walk them through at LB or do they have other public days besides Friday?

Normal walk-through is 2-day. By the way, MonsterCM and Wondercoin are like 20 minutes away, so they can just drop them off. Show walk-through is same day (barring certain special services). I doubt anyone got them in time for LB unless they bought them at a Mint souvenir shop.

@Gluggo said:

@Goldminers said:

@Gluggo said:

Gluggo,

Gold miner is correct. Many dealers submit either 70 only or 69/70 only. A 69 coin is usually worth the same or more in OGP. You pay a nominal fee for viewing and not the full slab fee, so it is cheaper to get the 69s returned to you.

Jmlanzaf your probably correct. I am still a black and white type of person. I need to see but hey If I am wrong my apologies. However I still believe in seeing the proof. I am not convinced but that’s me HARD Headed. So thank you both for your comments. I move on :)

@Gluggo said:

I don’t care goldminer what you think show me the receipt. Prove it show me the money. I am not Attacking you. Attack me All you want. I don’t care beat me up if you want. Sell me the junk 69 coin then.

I am a working man here in Alaska in a local Oil Field. I have worked All my life paying my taxes. I make NO money here or off any posts. I just collect coin and I rarely sell them.

Ask Wondercoin, if you don't believe goldminer or me. He is one of the big boys.

Note: This is why we are constantly warning people to be careful with how they interpret the submission and grading numbers. There are FAR more submissions than the numbers show and far more 69s and 68s than the numbers show, because they don't get slabbed.

I'm not sure where your "big boy" paranoia is coming from. Big boys submit more coins by definition. Big boys get a special rate. But there has been plenty of time for anyone who wanted to spend the money ($200-ish for little guys) and get walk-through service and express mail delivery.

I am a Bernie supporter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file