Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

365 Days of Golf Cards September 25th - 1914 Marsumas - last day!

Ok, Ok, I know IF you clicked on this you are already thinking...what the heck is this one going to be all about?

Frankly I am inspired to do something different in 2012 when it comes to my collecting interests. I want to spread the word about the little niche' that a few of us have carved out that is collecting from the 6th sport (behind, baseball, football, basketball, hockey and boxing....)

Inspired by the " poster and thread of the year awards" , as well as various YouTube videos of pack rips, showing off your collections, and the occasional giveaways from members here, I came up with this idea:

I will attempt to post something about golf cards in this post each and every day during 2012.

Now I know I might be out of town for work, on vacation with my family, heck we might not get past the end of the Mayan Calendar in December..... But I will promise that I will do my best to be faithful to this endeavor.

My ultimate goal is to share the excitement and hopefully can share some knowledge to all of you about golf cards.

So to start off the New Year and "new post" I am offering a give-away. Simply PM me - or reply to this post and subscribe to this thread.

I will be giving away the following card to kick off the new year.

The winner will be drawn at random from all contacts I receive on Friday January 6th.

This card is interesting as it is one of the few I own that I can't definatively tell you about. It was produced circa 1930's and as I am sure you have guessed based on the writing on the card, it is French in origin - or at least I believe. It is a blanked back card, and does have some strange dimensions (not your typical tobacco size card that you typically see from many of the European manufacturers of the 20's and 30's.

Happy New Year - Thanks for checking in.
Dave Johnson- Big Red Country-Nebraska
Collector of Vintage Golf cards! Let me know what you might have.

Comments

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭
    Cool! I'm in! One of my resolutions was to improve my golf game this year and I'm not talking about disc golf!
    Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • Options
    thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭
    Looks like the potential for a great thread. Looking forward to seeing your posts.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • Options
    thekid8thekid8 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭
    Great idea !!!! image

Count on me checking in
    Gary Carter Fans check out www.thekid8.com

• Options
    I swing and miss so many times when I play golf that I gave up.
  • Options
    californiacards3californiacards3 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Former 10.1 index. Traded my clubs in (metaphorically) for a triathlon bike. Owner of the 8th rated 1982 Donruss set.

I am in

Regards

Barry
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool Thread!
  • Options
    BlackieBlackie Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭
    Great thread for golf cards!!! Good call
    1964 Topps Football
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    I'm in too. My golf collecting focuses around the modern issues and getting them signed at tournaments, though I am working on the Donruss sets in PSA.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    richtreerichtree Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭
    Four.............!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Buying:
    Topps White Out (silver) letters Alex Gordon
    80 Topps Greg Pryor “No Name"
    90 ProSet Dexter Manley error
    90 Topps Jeff King Yellow back
    1958 Topps Pancho Herrera (no“a”)
    81 Topps Art Howe (black smear above hat)
    91 D A. Hawkins BC-12 “Pitcher”
  • Options
    Very cool approach, I will gladly learn more about golf cards.
    1981 Topps in Process
  • Options
    Great thread. Count me in.

Matt
  • Options
    Not entering the contest, but looking forward to learning more about golf cards.
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options

<< <i>Not entering the contest, but looking forward to learning more about golf cards. >>

+1

....waiting for my sencond golf lesson of the year!
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    tyweb1tyweb1 Posts: 528 ✭✭
    Just played 3 of the last 4 days here in St. Louis. Thanks for the contest.
  • Options
    scooter729scooter729 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    Count me in! And Dave, if you're going to be on vacation or unavailable, let us know and maybe Joe D. or me or one of the other golf guys can chime in with a card or two if you can't log on!
  • Options
    corvette1340corvette1340 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭
    I'm in. Been playing golf since I was 7. Played in high school, college, and even played a few mini tour events. Made cut at Georgia Open a couple of times. Scratch when I was playing a lot, now I'm a once a weekend golfer in the summer if I'm lucky. Probably a 4 now, but still have flashes and throw in a low round every now and again.
  • Options
    GolfcollectorGolfcollector Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭
    Day #2

Thanks for all the early responses. By the way, you don't have to PM me if you simply respond here, you are in the competition for the first free drawing of the year.

I see Scott has chimed in early. He is also another guy from the golf community. Maybe we can get a few more of the "old guard" here as well.

My first couple of thoughts are :

1) My "new all in one" is not nearly as good at scanning in graded cards as my old but way outdated stand alone scanner, so I apologize in advance for what is likely to be a lot of fuzzy scans.

2) Wow, after posting this last night, there is already a lot of momentum going on here. So I better keep it going....

Time to showcase one of my favorite golf cards, as well as a guy that does not have much in terms of golf cards in the marketplace, especially considering his place in the history of the game of golf. With that said...I Need to start big or go home...so...Here is one of my favorite cards in my collection.

This is the 1901 Ogden's Tom Morris. Tom Morris is featured on just 4 different cards during his life. You can find him on this card and also in the 1902 Ogden's Tabs set ( but is misidentified as J. Morris - More on that in a later posting) he is also in the 1900 Copes Golfers set.... and also as part of the 1902 F & J Smith Champions of Sport set - This card is exceedingly rare.

Old Tom found his way into two W.A. and A.C. Churchman issues in the late 20's and more recently Morris has cards as part of the Gameplan Leisure British Open Champions set, a postcard sized set of cards done by Mueller Enterprises and most recently this year in the 2011 Upper Deck Goodwin Champions on a short-printed card featuring both Morris and his son Tommy Jr.

Morris is widely considered the grandfather of what we call golf today, (although I think that title should be bestowed on his mentor in the golf ball and clubmaking faculties - Allan Robertson).

Old Tom won 4 of the first 7 Open Championships played, arguably invented the profession of greenskeeping, and was a fixture at the Old Course in St Andrews after his return from Prestwick (a course he designed and aided in running for many years - also home to most all of the early Open Championships)

Morris kept working right up until his death, just before his 87th birthday. He died after falling down a flight of stairs in the clubhouse of the New Golf Club in St Andrews. He is buried in the grounds of the St Andrews Cathedral, and his grave and that of his son attract thousands of golfers a year.

If you have never been to St Andrews, you need to go. I have been twice and can't wait to get back there again!.

• Options
    This is awesome.

Best thead of the year!
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Looking forward to following this thread. Good Luck!
    BTW ... I think Tom Morris would fit in better in a card set from "The Deadliest Catch"!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    vettfanaticvettfanatic Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Cool. I love golfing!!! Look forward to seeing some great cards.
  • Options
    Wow, I'm looking forward to learning more about golf cards! I love the Morris card.
    "WITH GORILLA GONE, WILL THERE BE HOPE FOR MAN?" Daniel Quinn, Ishmael
  • Options
    I am very much looking forward to reading this thread as the year progresses. I appreciate cards from sports outside the big four (or five). Looking forward to the education.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
  • Options
    daddymcdaddymc Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to following this thread. I have some modern golf cards, but know nothing about vintage golf cards.
    Currently working on: Kurt Warner PSA 9 or 10

• Options
    jimradjimrad Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭
    David,

Congrats on a great new thread idea. I think this will be fun.
    Positive transactions with: Bkritz,Bosox1976,Brick,captainthreeputt,cpettimd,craigger,cwazzy,DES1984,Dboneesq,daddymc,Downtown1974,EAsports,EagleEyeKid,fattymacs,gameusedhoop,godblessUSA,goose3,KatsCards,mike22y2k,
    MULLINS5,1966CUDA,nam812,nightcrawler,OAKESY25,PowderedH2O,relaxed,RonBurgundy,samsgirl214,shagrotn77,swartz1,slantycouch,Statman,Wabittwax
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    Cool thread. I only have a few golf cards but I also have a few on to buy checklist. Still trying to track down a arnold palmer rookie card (65 bankroft or 68 mira) and a centered 51 ben hogan. I nicely centered psa 7 sold for about 50 bucks a few months ago but I missed out on it. I'm sure once this thread gets rolling it will give me some ideas to add to my checklist. Like the 1901 card you posted.

I have a few golf card questions ill throw out there

1 why does the 82 donrus cards sell for more than the 81? Is it just that few 82 cards were produced?

2 what are your thoughts on the 1997-98 masters gold foil card vs the 1996 si for kids? Are there different versions of the foil masters card. Were some produced in 1999, some hand cut ect..., and how were they initially distributed?

3 where did the miller press sheets come from in the 80s? Were they magazine inserts?

not sure if you want this type of conversation in this thread or want it to be mostly show and tell.... If its not meant for QnA ill delete the questions
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Daily threads like this are super fun
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    Great Idea! Thanks for sharing!
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    GeneralJimGeneralJim Posts: 214 ✭✭✭
    Cool thread , i have a few golf cards count me in . I`ll be checking in often .

looking for 1988 Fournier estrellas stickers , 1985 Prism Jewel stickers , anything Jesse Owens .

• Options

<< <i>Cool thread. I only have a few golf cards but I also have a few on to buy checklist. Still trying to track down a arnold palmer rookie card (65 bankroft or 68 mira) and a centered 51 ben hogan. I nicely centered psa 7 sold for about 50 bucks a few months ago but I missed out on it. I'm sure once this thread gets rolling it will give me some ideas to add to my checklist. Like the 1901 card you posted.

I have a few golf card questions ill throw out there

1 why does the 82 donrus cards sell for more than the 81? Is it just that few 82 cards were produced?

2 what are your thoughts on the 1997-98 masters gold foil card vs the 1996 si for kids? Are there different versions of the foil masters card. Were some produced in 1999, some hand cut ect..., and how were they initially distributed?

3 where did the miller press sheets come from in the 80s? Were they magazine inserts?

not sure if you want this type of conversation in this thread or want it to be mostly show and tell.... If its not meant for QnA ill delete the questions >>

1) I don't know exact print runs, but based on what is just available in the marketplace the 82 Donruss were made in much less quantity.

2) The Masters cards were initially sold two three ways. One, was a boxed set that came with Titelist Golf Balls, Two, they came in boxed sets that could be bought at retailers like Target and Wal-Mart, and lastly you could purchase the golf foil set with a green covered booklet that had pages showcasing every year. Not a big fan of the SI for kids cards. Those ran their course with Tigermania about 8-9 years ago. Yes the problem with the Grand Slam Ventures cards is that there was no control over how many sets, sheets, etc were produced. Not sure anyone knows. Sheet cut cards are readily available.

3) Miller press sheets were sets put together and sold at PGA golf events. They came in complete sheet form. May have been sold cut up as well. Not a lot of these made, but I have a feeling someone is sitting on a hoard of them somewhere
  • Options
    WFFLWFFL Posts: 494 ✭✭✭
    Count me in...very interesting cards. Thank you for sharing and enlightening a nongolfer who hangs with a lot of golfing friends.
  • Options
    TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    Cool idea for a thread. I know NOTHING about golf cards and look forward to your new posts.
  • Options
    Awesome Guinea Gold Morris there, Dave!

You said he had only 3 cards during his life; don't forget about his great Copes card though!
    Scott

• Options
    Yeah, what the heck was I thinking....Well...I guess I wasn't thinking...Yep 4 is correct. Good thing we have some people here to keep me honest.

So much for me being educational.....

Thanks for the heads up Scott, that is what happens when I am typing this up and thinking about bowl games.....Lack of focus....
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    In for the amazing thread and contest. Look forward to seeing some cool golf cards throughout the year.
  • Options
    Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    Great work, Dave! I'm super excited about this thread. I'm a casual golf collector, but the more I learn the more I enjoy the niche. Thank you in advance for the education.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    It looks like we are a bit similar......

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    Waiting for the Natalie Gulbis card!
    South of Heaven...North of Canada
  • Options
    MeteoriteGuyMeteoriteGuy Posts: 7,140 ✭✭

<< <i>Waiting for the Natalie Gulbis card! >>

Hopefully cards...plural that!
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    Day 3- keeping in old school.

BY THE WAY....Where did those wrestling cards come from in this post????

I just recently sold some high grade Baines golf ball cards to another long time golf collector. So I figured he wouldn’t mind me sharing a scan of one of the cards since I just recently sold them.

The J. A Baines cards are most commonly found with soccer (the real football)players, rugby players and cricket players. You can find some golfers, animals, war generals, famous people, basically just about anything.

The golf related cards come in two formats. There are the ball cards like this one shown here. The Golf Ball themed cards come in grey, green, red and blue varieities. (at least that is all I have ever seen) The grey seems to be the most common, the colored version much more rare.

These features courses of the turn of the century. While the date on the PSA Holder is 1897, it is believed that Baines cards were produced up until post WWI. I have a shield card of a golfer that would support this as they would not have been featured on a card like this in 1897 due to their age.

To my knowledge there is not a definitive checklist of all Baines cards ever produced.

There is one site from the UK that has about as good of information as you will find on Baines cards, here is a excerpt from their website, looks like the origins of card flipping if you ask me.

" Today 9/12/2005 I have found the most interesting Baines card I've ever seen , it is in poor order but every picture tells a story. In my collection and many others I've seen, the cards can sometimes be found in very poor order, i.e. rough edges and very tatty.
    According to this card the children of the era played a game called "Whos nearest", with....yes you've guessed it.....Baines Cards. The picture clearly shows the children throwing Baines's against a wall and then bouncing back onto the pavement. The card is rough with all the edges damaged like some others I've seen, they tend to be either perfect straight from the packet or dog eared as per the above explanation."

Baines cards are very very rare in terms of the golf related cards. Raw examples of these cards usually fetch a pretty penny, and there have been very few copies graded by PS.
  • Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not trying to hijack your thread at all but just showing that there is some wrestling cards from these obscure golf issues that you have. I won't do it again but I do have "equivalents" in a different sport. Look forward to what you will be showing. Keep it going. My best to you.
    BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Is that the gray or the blue version on the Baines golf ball card?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Good question!

That is the Blue version of one of the Baines cards. Here are a couple of more photos....to see color difference between the red, blue and green and grey versions.

• Options
    Wrestling King.

No Worries, that french trade card is the only other example I have seen. The various Ogdens issues are neat cards, and super under-appreciated. Thin 71 Topps cards in terms of black borders, now make them cigarette cards that are 110 years old from a condition standpoint. Any ogdens are greatly undervalued in my opinion.
  • Options

<< <i>Awesome Guinea Gold Morris there, Dave!

You said he had only 3 cards during his life; don't forget about his great Copes card though!
    Scott

image >>

Scooter - Is this considered the "narrow cut" version of the card? I saw on the Pop report that there listed two version - the regular version and a narrow cut version. Any ideas?

I'd also like to thank Dave for inspiring me to pick up a couple of Tom Morris cards for my collection. I had been watching two of them for over a year now, and was able to get the seller to give me a decent deal on both. The cards appear to be is low grade shape, but I'm just happy to be able to add them to the collection.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Hey Jeff,

Good question - that is the standard Copes size (like a normal tobacco card). The narrow cut basically looks like a card that is trimmed on the left and right sides to have no border, but that is how they were packaged.

I'm at work now and don't have any scans of these available here, but can scan one when I get home tonight and will post an example.

Scott

BTW Dave - AWESOME Baines cards!
  • Options
    And Jeff, which Old Tom cards did you get? Let's see scans of them!
  • Options

<< <i>And Jeff, which Old Tom cards did you get? Let's see scans of them! >>

Thanks for the info on the Cope card, Scott. I picked up the 1900 Cope & the 1901 Ogden's. I don't have them in hand yet - but I'll be happy to scan them in to share as soon as they arrive.
    Jeff
  • Options
    Wow, not fooling around - awesome couple of cards to start off with! You can never go wrong with Old Tom cards!
  • Options
    There's no room for messing around when you're dealing with a beard that awesome.
    Jeff
  • Options
    One last question for you more advanced golf collectors - why doesn't Old Man Tom have a set registry?
    Jeff