Quick Links:   Collectors Corner | PCGS | PSA | PSE | PSA/DNA | CU | Coinflation

Navigation:

FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
Thread Title: 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF revisited...introduction to my theory
Created On Thursday March 05, 2009 10:23 AM
Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Next ]

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 10:23 AM

User is offline View users profile View thread in raw text format

Ok, I know this topic has been mentioned dozens of times in the history of this forum, but I want to revisit it in the form of a project I've been working on for several months.

As I've stated before, it is my belief the NNOF error was the result of a strip of cardstock intersecting the printing dyes and several runs of the orange card sheet. Whether this was done intentionally or not, I do not know, but I lean toward unintentional because Frank was nowhere near the number one prospect at the time of the sheet's printing, and if this were an intentional error, I suspect a higher rated prospect would have been chosen to create this variation for.

If this theory is correct, there are potentially several other cards affected by black-less sections on their respective printings...

Namely, this defect could affect the Craig Biggio All-Star card, but potentially including the cards of Jim Acker, John Morris, and John Hart.

While no major print defect would be noticed on these cards, I suspect they, when taken from the sheets that produced the NNOF error, are missing ink on the black edging around some borders and, in a couple of cases, team names.

This is a recreation of what may have occurred...but the cardstock would have been stuck to the printing side...

While the monetary potential for these supposed variations, less the Biggio, is very slim, I have been trying to locate an example of each. I wanted to be able to unveil them together as one display, but I've yet to uncover one example.

So, this is a shout out to everyone...be on the lookout for potential black-less variations of these cards. I think the concept is novel and brings a little bit of enjoyment to a widely overproduced set.

-------------------------
"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation." - James Madison

Bottom

1989FleerBillRipkencollector
Expert Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:02 AM

If your looking for the website www.BigHurtHOF.com, shown watermarked on the sheet picture, the site is under construction. He hopes to have it completed shortly.

Here's what BunchOBull had to say about his site..

"It's a player collector site meant to highlight the early cards and memorabilia featuring Frank Thomas, as well as random items of interest through the present day. I'm designing the site to follow a timeline of events. Highlighted pieces of memorabilia will include relevant information about the pieces and statistics and facts about Frank's career that parallel the release of each individual item.

Special projects I'm working on include the '90 Topps Blackless errors and a complete encyclopedia of game used bats used by Frank from his professional career."

-Summary of Events- Still compiling info

Page-

1- B.O.B. Theory
2- Hart Blackless, Morris Blackless
4- Russell A.S. Blackless
5- 1990 Topps Sheet pic
B.O.B. –New Theory
slantycouch Theory
Franco A.S. Blackless
McGriff A.S. Blackless,
Mattingly ”Blackless” later on page 9 decided it's not related to NNOF
slantycouch Offset Printing expliantion
7- jasoneggert- Theory
slantycouch- Theory (McGriff points to fluid)

Edited: Wednesday September 02, 2009 at 4:10 PM by 1989FleerBillRipkencollector

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:03 AM

Certainly, I'll try to get a better picture for you in time.

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpation." - James Madison

Bottom

Expert Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:06 AM

<< Certainly, I'll try to get a better picture for you in time. >>

Thank You.

No need for a different pic unless you want. The pics will all be B/W (only the FF will have color....hopefully) and it's photocopied. Trying to keep it cheap.

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:08 AM

Oh ok, very good then. I hope someone can substantiate this for me. I've been working on this project for the unveiling on my website, but it's not getting anywhere fast...so I hope someone can help...the more people who are introduced to it, the better.

Bottom

Darin
Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:15 AM

User is offline View thread in raw text format

Do you have a scan of a NNOF, believe it or not I've never seen one.

K.C. Royals- 2012 A.L. Central Division cellar dwellers

Bottom

digicat
Master Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:17 AM

You should check out a site like Sportlots.com and buy up the commons that surround the Thomas in bulk. It'd be a few bucks, but you'll be able to see if you get lucky and strike gold.

My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen and Dustan Mohr, both #/25

Bottom

Expert Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:17 AM

Never heard of any 90 Topps errors of broken lines,missing ink etc. Only 3 errors in the set, Thomas,Frohwirth and King. But with such a limited run of the NNOF, they should be out there in someone's closet. Probally next to all the rare FF variations.

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:19 AM

Last time I checked sportslots they only had 8 or so listed so I didn't bite. I need to take a look again. I really like checkoutmycards.com because they scan every card, front and back. No go on there either.

edited to say...of the Biggio variety...I've been looking for it specifically.

Edited: Thursday March 05, 2009 at 11:20 AM by BunchOBull

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:24 AM

<< Do you have a scan of a NNOF, believe it or not I've never seen one. >>

Darin,

I do not currently own a NNOF. They're surprisingly easy to come by so I haven't stressed about it.

Here is a borrowed picture:

A fake:

Bottom

billwaltonsbeard
Expert Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:28 AM

What about that super rare "name blacked out" version?

My cards on COMC

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:31 AM

Yeah, that's a 1 of 1 I'm pretty sure. Until someone gets creative again. Don't sniff the Sharpie.

Bottom

Expert Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:31 AM

<< What about that super rare "name blacked out" version? >>

lol

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 11:39 AM

Just checked out sportlots...a lot more examples now...I think I'll have to bite.

Thanks for the heads up!

Edited: Thursday March 05, 2009 at 11:48 AM by BunchOBull

Bottom

fattymacs
Expert Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 12:42 PM

Wasn't the NNOF card only found (in packs) in a certain part of the country or something like that?

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 12:45 PM

New England wax packs, yes sir.

Bottom

fattymacs
Expert Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 12:53 PM

Thanks, someone told me that awhile back but I forgot.

I was going to open a couple boxes I've had since 90, but they are cellos from Ohio.

Edited: Thursday March 05, 2009 at 12:53 PM by fattymacs

Bottom

prscott933
Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 1:39 PM

I busted a rack box of 1990 Topps two months ago. When I get back in town I'll dig through them for you. I also have an 800 count box that I opened from wax in 1990 (midwest wax though...).

White Whales:
1996 Select Certified Mirror Gold Ozzie Smith
2006 Bowman Chrome Orange Refractor Chris Carpenter

Bottom

cwazzy
Expert Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 1:50 PM

<< I busted a rack box of 1990 Topps two months ago. When I get back in town I'll dig through them for you. I also have an 800 count box that I opened from wax in 1990 (midwest wax though...). >>

Midwest wax sucks.

Chris

Chris
My small collection
Want List:
'61 Topps Roy Campanella in PSA 5-7
Cardinal T206 cards
Adam Wainwright GU Jersey

Bottom

BunchOBull
Master Collector

Thursday March 05, 2009 2:49 PM

<< I busted a rack box of 1990 Topps two months ago. When I get back in town I'll dig through them for you. I also have an 800 count box that I opened from wax in 1990 (midwest wax though...). >>

I appreciate it Paul.

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Next ]
FORUMS > SPORTS CARDS & MEMORABILIA FORUM [ REFRESH ]
View Member Listing | Add To Member Listing

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Terms of Membership

Collectors Universe, Inc., or any subsidiary or affiliate is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness or validity of any information contained in any messages.

FuseTalk 3.0 - Copyright © 1999-2002 e-Zone Media Inc. All rights reserved.