Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gold Coin Hoard

rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
Check this out..... accidental find, no metal detector..... unbelievable. Cheers, RickO

null

Comments

• Options
    commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,078 ✭✭✭
    They're going to sell some on Amazon? Did I read that right?

-Paul
    Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    According to the article, they aren't going to sell SOME via Amazon....but MOST. Something doesn't make sense...given who is "advising".

Quote from the article:
    They plan to put most of the coins up for sale through Amazon while holding onto a few keepsakes.
    Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You did.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, wonder if this is going to blow any San Francisco gold pops. The there are some extremely tough $5's and $10's...
  • Options
    The find comprises almost 1400 $20 gold pieces, fifty $10 gold pieces and four $5 gold pieces, all of which were struck between 1847 and 1894. Highlights of the cache include at least thirteen finest known specimens, among them an 1866-S No Motto Double Eagle valued at around $1 million.

Highlights of the cache include at least fourteen finest known specimens, among them an 1866-S No Motto Double Eagle valued at close to $1 million. Other highlights include finest example or tied for finest example certified by PCGS: 1877-S PCGS MS65 (tied for “top pop”); four 1888-S PCGS MS64 (tied for “top pop” at PCGS); two 1889-S graded PCGS MS65 (tied for new “top pop”); and an 1894-S PCGS MS65 (tied for “top pop”).

Saddle Creek Hoard - Kagins
  • Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭
    why doesn't something like this happen to me? I'm happy for them image
    Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Holy crap! Thanks for the head's up on the article! I think Boosibri's right about this significantly altering the San Fran gold pops. The article says $27k face... that's 1350 coins if they were all double eagles, but the article says it's a mix of $5, $10, and $20s.
  • Options

<< <i>Holy crap! Thanks for the head's up on the article! I think Boosibri's right about this significantly altering the San Fran gold pops. The article says $27k face... that's 1350 coins if they were all double eagles, but the article says it's a mix of $5, $10, and $20s. >>

Its 1350 $20's, 50 $10's and 5 $5's per the Kagins press release. Whew, my $5's are safe!
  • Options
    DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Perhaps there were many common, circulated coins that are not particularly rare. It might make sense to sell common MS61 coins via Amazon and keep the cream of the find for auction. I am certain that Amazon will not charge a huge percentage, and this is a GUESS, but more like an individual transaction cost. Plus, the special sticker will generate some revenue in terms of common coins selling above the average for the type.

Maybe Amazon is getting into the coin market in terms of retail. That would be an interesting development.
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • Options
    What do you suppose grading fees were?
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Kagin's article also mentions that the hoard coins got the special gold foil label treatment from PCGS, a la the SS Central America coins. Interesting.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options

<< <i>Perhaps there were many common, circulated coins that are not particularly rare. It might make sense to sell common MS61 coins via Amazon and keep the cream of the find for auction. I am certain that Amazon will not charge a huge percentage, and this is a GUESS, but more like an individual transaction cost. Plus, the special sticker will generate some revenue in terms of common coins selling above the average for the type.

Maybe Amazon is getting into the coin market in terms of retail. That would be an interesting development. >>

Read the Kagins link I posted above and also the media and press page on the site.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Kagin's article also mentions that the hoard coins got the special gold foil label treatment from PCGS, a la the SS Central America coins. Interesting. >>

What does the label say, "rotting root effect"?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck of a discovery. Hoards are discovered/uncovered fairly regularly. Remember the French champagne gold coin hoard from a couple years ago?

By choosing to sell through Amazon, they are quite obviously going after the non-collector market. I suspect that the better and more interesting selections will be sold through more conventional numismatic channels.
  • Options
    dbcoindbcoin Posts: 2,200 ✭✭

<< <i>What do you suppose grading fees were? >>

The article says they are worth $10M so I am guessing 1% of that or $100K. Maybe a slight discount to say $80K in grading fees. Below that it really isn't worth it to PCGS as they have to assume warranty risk. Maybe that is the reason David Hall and Van Simmons sold some of their CLCT stock. They were rumored to have sold stock and bought coins. Maybe they bought the top pops for themselves.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They're going to sell some on Amazon? Did I read that right?

-Paul >>

You can buy coins on Amazon? image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I probably can't afford any of the coins, but how much for the can these were found in?
    Veni, Vidi, Vici
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love it. California GOLD RUSH
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,637 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i read that today. thats quite the haul.
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Wonder what the date of the Dahlonega Half Eagle is ........
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I probably can't afford any of the coins, but how much for the can these were found in? >>

Im surprised someone isnt selling dirt from near the recovery site ( with COA - of course image ). Now that is something maybe I could afford. image
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AMAZON?! Really? What the? Is that really the best venue? Who advised them on that?
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to say it but I have some real suspicions about this story.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Find a hoard, dummy up, sell a few when you need to. You don't announce it to the world. You can bet that Uncle Sam is going to look for a share.
  • Options
    wouldn't they have been better off selling a few here and there and moving to a no income tax state?
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hate to say it but I have some real suspicions about this story.

image >>

Well I hate to say it too, but it certainly didn't take long for the conspiracy theorists to arrive. image

"I probably can't afford any of the coins, but how much for the cans these were found in?"

In the words of Larry the CableGuy, "Now that right there is some funny stuff !" image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    Good for them. I love hearing about great things like this happening to people. image
    Better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

jeff
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just read this myself. What a cool find! And here I get excited about finding a nickel in a parking lot.

Hate the gold foil label, though.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would probably have been better off just having them slabbed and quietly selling them via a major auction. The publicity could bring unwanted attention from scammers, thieves or claimants that could tie the hoard up in court and cost them huge legal fees.

I hope they don't run into any trouble.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. It's gotta be some of the stash left hidden by The Knights of the Golden Circle. Ya know, the South will rise again, only from West of the Rockies. image

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>wouldn't they have been better off selling a few here and there and moving to a no income tax state? >>

The story I read on Yahoo said they are staying anonymous to maintain their lifestyle and plan to donate to charity. Clearly, saving every cent at the expense of uprooting their lives isn't a priority.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>wouldn't they have been better off selling a few here and there and moving to a no income tax state? >>

The story I read on Yahoo said they are staying anonymous to maintain their lifestyle and plan to donate to charity. Clearly, saving every cent at the expense of uprooting their lives isn't a priority. >>

True. Good point
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before they sell them, they are loaning some to the American Numismatic Association for its National Money Show, which opens Thursday in Atlanta.

This should be interesting!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just read the story, amazing.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    kimber45ACPkimber45ACP Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Wonder if one of the more valuable coins in this hoard will be the 50 Millionth Item graded by CU
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about the inheritance laws, relatives of prior owners, whoever lived on that property at the time, does anyone see the lawsuits coming? What if there's a Will that describes such gold coins but the whereabouts were unknown? I just can't imagine someone burying this much gold and not letting someone know about it before they died. hmmm

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Perhaps there were many common, circulated coins that are not particularly rare. It might make sense to sell common MS61 coins via Amazon and keep the cream of the find for auction. I am certain that Amazon will not charge a huge percentage, and this is a GUESS, but more like an individual transaction cost. Plus, the special sticker will generate some revenue in terms of common coins selling above the average for the type.

Maybe Amazon is getting into the coin market in terms of retail. That would be an interesting development.
    >>

Heritage et al have been raking estate consignments for up to 17.5% for years. Amazon has HUGE potential to change the coin auction market for the better. There is nothing special about Heritage, SB, et. al. If you would not list your house for more than 6%, why would you consign for a 15% BP?? Takes a lot more effort to sell a house.......

OINK
  • Options

<< <i><<Perhaps there were many common, circulated coins that are not particularly rare. It might make sense to sell common MS61 coins via Amazon and keep the cream of the find for auction. I am certain that Amazon will not charge a huge percentage, and this is a GUESS, but more like an individual transaction cost. Plus, the special sticker will generate some revenue in terms of common coins selling above the average for the type.

>>

Heritage et al have been raking estate consignments for up to 17.5% for years. Amazon has HUGE potential to change the coin auction market for the better. There is nothing special about Heritage, SB, et. al. If you would not list your house for more than 6%, why would you consign for a 15% BP?? Takes a lot more effort to sell a house.......

OINK >>

Well healed sellers like these people now are, don't get clipped with 17.5% buyers fees. If anything they could get 105% of hammer. The buyers pay the vig.
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's an awesome find! i am really happy for them. i can't imagine finding something like that...incredible.
  • Options

<< <i>AMAZON?! Really? What the? Is that really the best venue? Who advised them on that? >>

Maybe they already have an account there. A lot of people/places sell there and give Amazon a commish.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Any further info on how these were "restored"? That is an odd word to use. Dipping generally does not cause "bleeding fingers".

Eric
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Check this out..... accidental find, no metal detector..... unbelievable. Cheers, RickO

null >>

Just got home from class and was going to post this. How crazy.

The story, not that I was going to post -_-.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What about the inheritance laws, relatives of prior owners, whoever lived on that property at the time, does anyone see the lawsuits coming? What if there's a Will that describes such gold coins but the whereabouts were unknown? I just can't imagine someone burying this much gold and not letting someone know about it before they died. hmmm >>

That was my first thought, but I notice that they are not releasing the names or location of the finders.

My second thought was, what did they use to remove the rust stains, and did they have to turn off the sniffer to slab them.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>AMAZON?! Really? What the? Is that really the best venue? Who advised them on that? >>

Maybe they already have an account there. A lot of people/places sell there and give Amazon a commish. >>

Maybe, just maybe, they'll sell some of their stash on the BST or Trade forums. Do you think DH would have suggested that? Of course, that would mean cutting someone out of the loot, God forbid.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    ranshdowranshdow Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope Kagin's has the presence of mind to assemble a full catalog of this hoard, with as many pictures as possible, for pedigree purposes before it's disbursed.

I for one will gladly sign up for a copy. Please don't gouge me. image
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Walking a dog too, wonder if it was a Golden Retriever.

-D
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file