15678911»

Comments

• Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>500 >>

Another notch on a stellar career! image
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Mr. Trout, please join us. We won't bite. (No fishing joke intended,) >>

No doubt a thread of this scale takes some consideration.
  • Options
    numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Mr. Trout, please join us. We won't bite. (No fishing joke intended,) >>

He informed me that he is waiting for final approval by PCGS. When you join, you have to wait until they email you your password, and I believe that is a manual process.

Regarding Jack's membership, I sincerely hope that everyone is cordial and mature. He is a coin collector too, and he said he is excited about being a new member here.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i> These are just stories people know about... there are undoubtedly others no one knows about. >>

All interesting possibilities, or it could just be some guy that did not trust banks. >>

Exactly. The point is that there are lots of places this gold could have come from. The fact that that it was a lot of money 120 years ago doesn't mean it was stolen, much less that it was stolen from the government. Not only were there people with that kind of money, but there were people in that region who are known to have BURIED that kind of money. 1890s America was largely a cash economy, a place with no income tax, and a healthy skepticism of banks... this could easily have been the profits of a long-running business. That to me is far more likely than claiming it's the gold Dimmick stole -- a claim for which there is absolutely no evidence. >>

Your comment gave me a thought.....the Panic of 1893 caused a run on gold from the U.S. Treasury, per Wikipedia:

link

The last date in the hoard is 1894. Perhaps somebody who saw banks closing their doors and the U.S. Treasury in trouble might have gathered up as much gold as possible and buried it in the ground.

ust speculation, but more plausible than the Dimmick speculation. >>

Is it somehow unclear that the above is just speculation, other than the missing "J" in "ust?"
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    So bored at work I just wantd to flog this horse one more time. image
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So bored at work I just wantd to flog this horse one more time. image >>

Speaking of flogging horses and camels:

Also got tired of waiting for some updated news regarding the Gold Coin Hoard so I took matters into my own hands and went directly to gold country myself this past week along with some others who posed for my pictures below. Came back convinced that there really is a lot more gold that remains buried than that found in the recent hoard, though not necessarily in minted coinage.

Learned a lot of interesting factoids to include:

1. Comstock was a con man who only claimed to have an ownership interest in the site of the original find when he made a deal with the miners who actually discovered the precious metal.
    2. There are miles and miles of mining tunnels under the ground you walk on and from time to time the timbers that shore them up collapse and sink holes appear taking down a car or two with them. (Those timbers were hauled from the Lake Tahoe region.)
    3. In more recent years a hillside or two have been chewed up with open pit mining, visible just as you enter Virginia City.
    4. Fortunes from the ore mined in Virginia City went to fund the Union's efforts in the Civil War and Abraham Lincoln thanked the citizens for their contributions in helping to win the war.
    5. Fortunes from the ore mined in Virginia City went to seed the construction and building of San Francisco.
    6. There were over 30,000 people living in Virginia City in its hey day but only 1,000 reside there today.
    7. At one point over 100 millionaires lived in Virginia City and a popular club in town was the Millionaires Club.
    8. Samuel Clemens took on his pen name Mark Twain while serving a two year stint with the local newspaper as a 26 year old. He left town for San Francisco after challenging a rival to a duel and then learning how much better a shot his opponent was. (Incidentally it was his older brother who lived in nearby Carson City, and who served as Secretary to the Governor of Nevada, that got him to come out West. (The two actually traveled together enroute to Nevada stopping in Salt Lake City where they had a formal meeting with Brigham Young - one in which the younger Clemens was largely ignored with Brigham Young assuming he was his older brother's child.) The Clemens home in Carson City, where Mark Twain often visited his brother's family, is now an historic site and occupied as a law office.

• Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    Planning on metal detecting this coming weekend. Some old foundations in rural PA.
    I will be happy if I find a corroded Indian head penny!!
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options

<< <i>Planning on metal detecting this coming weekend. Some old foundations in rural PA.
    I will be happy if I find a corroded Indian head penny!! >>

Ah - so it is the journey, not the destination and the excitement is in the hunt. Have fun and report back even if it is a found square nail.
  • Options
    Finally, some updated news regarding the Saddle Ridge Hoard. Those on the East Coast will get a chance to see coins from the hoard in Baltimore at the end of this month!

Kagin's is bringing coins from the West to the East
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Id really love to break away from my oppressive schedule and go look at those Coins. But - weekends are when I pull in
    the BIG bucks. I think I'll keep working and maybe buy some less hyped up less overpriced goods. Still hoping for a nice
    Gettysburg one day.

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭
    At the Chicago Paper Money Expo a couple of weeks ago, I saw five of the coins at Kagin's table. The three 20's were beautiful. Two were MS66 and the third was a 64. There was also a $5 and a $10 which looked overly dipped/cleaned/conserved or whatever with no mention of it on the holders.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    As everyone knows, the TPGs routinely put dipped coins into no-problems slabs - it's when you start using abrasives (mechanical or chemical) that the TPGs call them "cleaned."

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options

<< <i>At the Chicago Paper Money Expo a couple of weeks ago, I saw five of the coins at Kagin's table. The three 20's were beautiful. Two were MS66 and the third was a 64. There was also a $5 and a $10 which looked overly dipped/cleaned/conserved or whatever with no mention of it on the holders. >>

Did you ask if any had changed hands in a sale yet? Would think that there might be a collector or two who would like to at least "reserve" one for their personal collection before the masses get the remaining 90% to pick from on Amazon.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>At the Chicago Paper Money Expo a couple of weeks ago, I saw five of the coins at Kagin's table. The three 20's were beautiful. Two were MS66 and the third was a 64. There was also a $5 and a $10 which looked overly dipped/cleaned/conserved or whatever with no mention of it on the holders. >>

Well, John and Mary Doe-Smith did try to clean about 200 of them.image
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for historical perspective:

Q: When is a good time to collect coins ?
    A: Whenever you want.

Q: When is a good time to bury a hoard
    A: When you have one

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file